• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV hosts blame Cara Delevigne for not responding well to their stupid questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinFonda

Responding well to stupid questions is part of the press junket game. It was amusing to see them and go at each other's egos on public television, though. Looks like everyone walked away successful on that end.

Toa TAK

Banned
Bonus round

emilia-clarke.gif

She has the better eyebrows.

milanbaros

Member?
I've been wondering how well her personality would go over in the USA.

Yep. She is just giving humorous responses to boring questions. It is more of a British response when asked a stupid question. Too many celebs out there too happy to play along in the same boring forced manner having told the same anecdote on every talk show in the world.

Fathom

Banned
Nobody is going to give a shit if you don't pander to stupid questions on Good Day Sacramento. Hardly a career ending move.

No, because she's deeply entrenched in nepotism and was only unfriendly to these hosts in the first place because she knew nothing can happen to her. When you have the power to be nice or be an asshole without consequence, it shows who you are as a person. Actors without her luxuries at the same early career stage don't get to be as disdainful as she is, they'd get pushed out of the industry. They'd have loved the opportunity to appear on any talk show to represent their movie, even if the hosts were uppity.

Her appearance of being tough and not giving a shit what people think is complete farce, it's all pantomime with a big safety net as backup.

Toa TAK

Banned
Wait, why are people here saying "British Sarcasm" as if that's any different from sarcasm in general?

I'm probably ignorant on the matter, but her sarcasm in the video doesn't differ all that much from anyone here in the USA.

Wait, why are people here saying "British Sarcasm" as if that's any different from sarcasm in general?

I'm probably ignorant on the matter, but her sarcasm in the video doesn't differ all that much from anyone here in the USA.

Everyone knows the British invented sarcasm.

Fathom

Banned
FTFY.

"We made an international celebrity frustrated!" *high fives all around the office*

I don't think they know or care who she is, they were just poking fun at how little she clearly gave a shit about the interview. Good on them for not kneeling at the altar of celebrity.

Fathom

Banned
Yep. She is just giving humorous responses to boring questions. It is more of a British response when asked a stupid question. Too many celebs out there too happy to play along in the same boring forced manner having told the same anecdote on every talk show in the world.

There's an obvious difference between being an asshole and being humorous. She was the former, which is why the hosts turned on her pretty quickly.

Dalek

I don't think she got too snippy until the host asked her why she wasn't acting excited and that she was irritated. The hosts are the dicks here. She may be a cold person in real life, but she was being perfectly fine on camera-if a little bland.

There's an obvious difference between being an asshole and being humorous. She was the former, which is why the hosts turned on her pretty quickly.

If your definition of an asshole is someone who makes a joke in that kind of situation, I'd hate to see what you call my definition.

milanbaros

Member?

That's what my post was trying to illustrate. Her answers are clearly humorous to me. I'm not going to assume you're American but the difference between someone laughing and thinking she is an asshole would generally thought of as a difference between British and American humour.

FStop7

Banned

Yeah her humor is very, very dry and British. I kind of figured that's one reason she isn't nearly as prevalent in the states.

I don't think they know or care who she is, they were just poking fun at how little she clearly gave a shit about the interview. Good on them for not kneeling at the altar of celebrity.

I would lose interest during an interview asking asinine questions like that too.

I don't know if a celebrity killed your parents or something, but there in fact is a happy medium between "kneeling at the altar of celebrity" and conducting a shitty, boring, unprofessional interview.

They haven't found it yet.

Flavius

Couple of royal jackasses sadly attempting to match wits with a 23 year old kid, and failing miserably. They then proceed to double-down on their shameful actions by relishing in their insecurities and whining about what a jerkette and an all-around meanie she was.

Kinda' reminds me of the nigh-shut-ins on Facebook whose delicate sensitivities can be utterly destroyed by pin drop, then proceed to bitch about it for weeks on end.

How did these people ever find their way onto television?

milanbaros

Member?
Where's the humor? She's being paid - be professional

I'm not going to explain why something is funny. You don't find it funny, that is fine. All I'm saying is that I wouldn't be surprised if British people were more likely to find it funny and thought the hosts were too up their own backsides to see she was just jokingly responding to their dull questions.

Moze

Banned
Why are people defending her in here? She seems to have a lot of fans on here. This is literally her job. She has a job to promote the movie in a positive way. If she is not doing that then she is doing a bad job. There is no ''she's exhausted'' excuse. I can't go to work and claim to be exhausted to get out of being shit at my job.

Flavius

Why are people defending her in here? She seems to have a lot of fans on here. This is literally her job. She has a job to promote the movie in a positive way. If she is not doing that then she is doing a bad job. There is no ''she's exhausted'' excuse. I can't go to work and claim to be exhausted to get out of being shit at my job.

I have no idea who the fuck she is, to be honest, but I did watch the interview.

How can you possibly defend the morons who host this program? Shitty questions are one thing. It's all part of the job, I agree. Personal attacks are entirely out of line, though. They were the first to cross it, and continued to do so well after the fact.

Dalek

What's she supposed to do, jump out of her chair and do a backflip and split? She was being interviewed, she answered politely and cordially.

Five

Banned

Her job is to get insulted and patronized on a mediocre local show right after she's exhausted from having done her movie's premier and touring the nation to go on all of the bigger shows and junkets?

No. No, it's not.

Moze

Banned
You guys are exaggerating this so bad. The hosts were polite and even defended her at the end of the interview when she cut out. She was acting really unpleasant throughout the whole thing.

When you have your career handed to you by the elites, and get paid a ridiculous amount to do a few interviews, you should not be coming across as a dick.

Fuchsdh

Part of me thinks that, for what these actors get paid, they should just accept these asinine interviews as an inevitable part of the job. But for real, it would probably infuriate me to have my time wasted by professional hosts that can't ask a coherent question.

Tom Hanks was on The Nerdist podcast once and went on about how generally there's a lot of bad interviews on the press junket, and he singles out people who can't even create a leading question and just do something like "So... Captain Philips, eh?" You're also going to be reacting to a bunch of questions that people think they're the first ones to ask you, and it's been asked fifteen times before that. Even though he hates it, he also states that it's just something you have to do with show business... and yeah, it really is.

No one in that video comes off as particularly professional in any capacity.

The death stare she's shooting at them is pretty impressive though.

Fathom

Banned
Her job is to get insulted and patronized on a mediocre local show right after she's exhausted from having done her movie's premier and touring the nation to go on all of the bigger shows and junkets?

No. No, it's not.

Oh, she's exhausted? Boo hoo. Cry me a fucking river. Have you ever worked a day in your life? Being exhausted is part of life, and this chick makes millions. There's no excuse to not conduct yourself like a professional. It's just a local news show, if it's so mediocre and irrelevant it shouldn't be hard to get through it with a smile. She's representing the film, not her inclination to be a total brat.

Dalek

You guys are exaggerating this so bad. The hosts were polite and even defended her at the end of the interview when she cut out. She was acting really unpleasant throughout the whole thing.

When you have your career handed to you by the elites, and get paid a ridiculous amount to do a few interviews, you should not be coming across as a dick.

Jesus Christ dude-you must have watched a different video than me. First of all, they started the interview calling her the wrong name, they were smiling and snarky the entire time, they asked her if she even read the book it was based on-she responded with a joke saying that she didn't even read the script. That seemed to irk them-I suspect they were trying to catch her with a gotcha question. Then that one odd guy just out of the blue asked her why she wasn't more excited-that's very rude. They would not have asked that of Charlize Theron or Jennifer Connolly-other actresses that tend to do reserved interviews. This is all on them-she may have been reserved, but it didn't warrant their snakiness and put downs.

Boko21

Neo Member

I think the point is not so much that the sarcasm itself is different, but the social context is a bit different. In the US it's generally considered rude to be sarcastic, but her remarks would not have been taken as so hostile by people in the UK (or by better TV hosts).

Five

Banned
Oh, she's exhausted? Boo hoo. Cry me a fucking river. Have you ever worked a day in your life? Being exhausted is part of life, and this chick makes millions. There's no excuse to not conduct yourself like a professional. It's just a local news show, if it's so mediocre and irrelevant it shouldn't be hard to get through it with a smile. She's representing the film, not her inclination to be a total brat.

Alternately, she makes millions, so she can do whatever she wants. It's not her job to conduct herself well, especially if that's not in her character, as it's her character that she was hired for. But it's not even like she acted that poorly—everyone saying so is grossly exaggerating.

Realistically, she probably was running on three or four hours of sleep. She's not going to not have fun on the premier night just because of one lousy interview the next morning.

Fathom

Banned
Jesus Christ dude-you must have watched a different video than me. First of all, they started the interview calling her the wrong name, they were smiling and snarky the entire time, they asked her if she even read the book it was based on-she responded with a joke saying that she didn't even read the script. That seemed to irk them-I suspect they were trying to catch her with a gotcha question. Then that one odd guy just out of the blue asked her why she wasn't more excited-that's very rude. They would not have asked that of Charlize Theron or Jennifer Connolly-other actresses that tend to do reserved interviews. This is all on them-she may have been reserved, but it didn't warrant their snakiness and put downs.

They weren't trying to get her with a gotcha question, they were just asking if she's read the book. Almost every single GoT castmember hasn't read the books that show is based on. It's not an insane question. She responded like a total jerk, as if that was an insane question.

As for the second part, she transparently didn't care about the interview and wasn't happy to be there. It's not really such a huge deal for them to say she isn't excited, because she wasn't. Charlize Theron or Jennifer Connolly would never and have never held an interview like that, because they're professional.

Fathom

Banned
Alternately, she makes millions, so she can do whatever she wants. It's not her job to conduct herself well, especially if that's not in her character, as it's her character that she was hired for. But it's not even like she acted that poorly—everyone saying so is grossly exaggerating.

Realistically, she probably was running on three or four hours of sleep. She's not going to not have fun on the premier night just because of one lousy interview the next morning.

So you started by saying she can do whatever she wants because she makes millions, and then you said she didn't act that poorly. Does that mean the news hosts had to grovel with however she decided to treat them, because she makes millions? And do you realize how you're coming off when you're assuming she pre-judged it as a "lousy interview" the night before? Again, she is hired to promote the movie, which means you smile and be polite even if you have a massive superiority complex underneath the smile. It absolutely is her job to conduct herself well. The only reason she gets a pass for not doing that is, like I said, because of deep rooted family ties. Like most actors and actresses, she owes her career to nepotism and the entire "give no fucks" attitude is nothing but pantomime.

Moze

Banned

Erm, it absolutely is her job to conduct herself well if she is promoting a movie.

Realistically she is part of the elites in the UK. Raised by the elites as part of the establishment. You can't expect somebody from that background to treat normal people with respect.

I have no idea what interview some of you guys were watching. She absolutely did come across as obnoxious.

Toa TAK

Banned
I think the point is not so much that the sarcasm itself is different, but the social context is a bit different. In the US it's generally considered rude to be sarcastic, but her remarks would not have been taken as so hostile by people in the UK (or by better TV hosts).

Okay that makes sense. I like sarcasm and being sarcastic myself, so I was pretty confused by the posts here, but for what it's worth, that's the general vibe here towards it in the US.

Five

Banned
Erm, it absolutely is her job to conduct herself well if she is promoting a movie.

Realistically she is part of the elites in the UK. Raised by the elites as part of the establishment. You can't expect somebody from that background to treat normal people with respect.

I have no idea what interview some of you guys were watching. She absolutely did come across as obnoxious.
It's not her job to conduct herself. It's her job to present herself. There's a huge difference.

It's also pretty fucking ironic that you think you know how elites act and that elites don't know how normal people act.

lol Good Day Sacremento vs Cara Delevigne

Hosts are pretty shit to call her out like that and make it even more awkard, regardless of how awkward she was at first

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom