• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV hosts blame Cara Delevigne for not responding well to their stupid questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y'know, when Ayoade constantly mocked the interviewer in that Channel 4 interview, people celebrated him for it (and for good reason). He wasn't being a bitch (or the male equivalent - a dick perhaps?), he was being funny and awesome and 'da best. Maybe it's less okay here because American interviewers don't expect to be challenged in any meaningful way by celebrities? Or maybe people like Ayoade so much that they let him get away with something they won't let other actors and actresses?

gerg

Point being that's why she has such an attitude.

She doesn't have an attitude. She gets asked an ultimately demeaning and stupid question and responds with a pretty universal British response for the situation, namely sarcasm. I guess her problem was that she didn't shy away from highlighting how stupid the question was.

Y'know, when Ayoade constantly mocked the interviewer in that Channel 4 interview, people celebrated him for it (and for good reason). He wasn't being a bitch (or the male equivalent - a dick perhaps?), he was being funny and awesome and 'da best. Maybe it's less okay here because American interviewers don't expect to be challenged in any meaningful way by celebrities?

Eh, the interviewer in that instance was kind of in on it himself.

Fathom

Banned
She doesn't have an attitude. She gets asked an ultimately demeaning and stupid question and responds with a pretty universal British response for the situation, namely sarcasm. I guess her problem was that she didn't shy away from highlighting how stupid the question was.

They weren't demeaning and stupid questions. Asking if an actor has read the book the film is based on is not demeaning. It was the most softball interview of all time, and the name mispronounciation was an honest mistake.

daviyoung

Banned

she replies with an opposite response (twice), but ends up answering the questions like an actor automaton anyway

True, but it still stands that the "stop being an ass and do the interview you knob" crowd was significantly diminished, and while I'm sure some of it was due to the fact that the interviewer rolled with the punches (or played that role well), I don't think it's an unsafe assumption to say that people are more willing to defend Ayoade than Cara.

They weren't demeaning and stupid questions. Asking if an actor has read the book the film is based on is not demeaning. It was the most softball interview of all time, and the name mispronounciation was an honest mistake.

In an article in defense of her, Jeff Green states:

In Green’s response, he wrote about spending time with Delevingne on the press tour and addressed the “Have you read the book?” question. “…I watched as again and again, she was asked this question. Cara has read the book (multiple times), but the question is annoying  —  not least because her male costar, Nat Wolff, was almost always asked when he’d read the book, while Cara was almost always asked if she’d read it.”

So the question is problematic because it presumes an ignorance of the source material that does not exist when asked of her male co-star.

They weren't demeaning and stupid questions. Asking if an actor has read the book the film is based on is not demeaning.

"does being busy make you have more time to focus on not being busy or something?"

If her job is to promote the movie, isn't it there job to ask about the film.

Why can the interviewer ask personal questions, but the interviewee can't be themselves?

gerg

On the one hand, I agree that a single instance of being asked if she's read the book is probably not so significant, but when (like John Green writes) she is asked dozens of times (while her male co-star is asked about when he read the book) I can see why she'd be irritated about answering it again. What would probably help the situation is if the interviewers had a greater sense of awareness about the nature of the interview themselves (so prefacing that first question with an acknowledgement of how she's likely to have been asked it before).

she replies with an opposite response (twice), but ends up answering the questions like an actor automaton anyway

That opposite response is sarcasm, no?

Fathom

Banned
In an article in defense of her, Jeff Green states:

So the question is problematic because it presumes an ignorance of the source material that does not exist when asked of her male co-star.

That's not the news hosts fault, It's not like they've been following the press junket for this movie. They're just doing their jobs. I don't know why other people assume the guy read it but this is a broader complaint that can't be placed squarely on the Sacramento people.

You think an actor wouldn't read the book that the movie they're starring in is based on?

That'd be rare if an actor read the source material. Their job isn't based on extra credit homework they did, it's based on a script and direction.

You'd honestly have to be a fanboy/girl to be surprised that actors don't read (or have the time) the original thing. Did anyone working on the Godfather films read the books? 2001? Blade Runner? Lord of the Rings? Batman? The Mask? Dredd? Marvel movies? Most likely not. Does it matter? Nope, it's just for geek cred.

That's not the news hosts fault, It's not like they've been following the press junket for this movie. They're just doing their jobs. I don't know why other people assume the guy read it but this is a broader complaint that can't be placed squarely on the Sacramento people.

And it's not Cara's fault that they said "let's ask this question in a bad way." All you're doing is further solidifying why she derided them.

RiggyRob

Y'know, when Ayoade constantly mocked the interviewer in that Channel 4 interview, people celebrated him for it (and for good reason). He wasn't being a bitch (or the male equivalent - a dick perhaps?), he was being funny and awesome and 'da best. Maybe it's less okay here because American interviewers don't expect to be challenged in any meaningful way by celebrities? Or maybe people like Ayoade so much that they let him get away with something they won't let other actors and actresses?

Krishnan Guru Murthy is English though, he knows when someone's being sarcastic. The recent Channel 4 advert even took the the piss out of his interview with Robert Downey Jr. ("I'm sorry, I thought we were promoting Channel 4 here?")

daviyoung

Banned
That opposite response is sarcasm, no?

I'm afraid to call it that because it implies some wit or thought had gone into the response. But sure, it's sarcasm in a basic way I guess.

"do you like thing?"
"no, I hate thing...no, of course I like thing"
"..."

That'd be rare if an actor read the source material. Their job isn't based on extra credit homework they did, it's based on a script and direction.

You'd honestly have to be a fanboy/girl to be surprised that actors don't read (or have the time) the original thing. Did anyone working on the Godfather films read the books? 2001? Blade Runner? Lord of the Rings? Batman? The Mask? Dredd? Most likely not. Does it matter? Nope, it's just for geek cred.

It depends on the book and the role.

If your an up and coming actor/actress who gets lucky enough to get a lead role. I bet 90 percent of the time you read the book your role is based off of to get a clearer picture of your role so you can do the best job you can

akira28

John got understandably pissed off because someone who was supposed to be on his team essentially sided with FOX news over him without giving a suggestion on how to improve the skit. Cenac is also now using the whole blow up as a calculated move to get his name in the headlines, instead of making amends privately and moving on like an adult.

That's an amusing if slightly slanted view of the events, but as a John Steward fan I can't expect you to use your objectivity. Cenac calculated this to promote his new nothing, because that would be a totally smart move right, with all the Daily Show fans. I'm sure he totally expected everyone to take his side.

Fathom

Banned
On the one hand, I agree that a single instance of being asked if she's read the book is probably not so significant, but when (like John Green writes) she is asked dozens of times (while her male co-star is asked about when he read the book) I can see why she'd be irritated about answering it again. What would probably help the situation is if the interviewers had a greater sense of awareness about the nature of the interview themselves (so prefacing that first question with an acknowledgement of how she's likely to have been asked it before).

It's local news. They don't get paid a ton. The actors getting interview get payed astronomically more. That's part of why they just have to put up with lazy interview questions. If they only want to be asked brilliant questions they can put that in the contract and subsequently not get hired for a lot of jobs.

Krishnan Guru Murthy is English though, he knows when someone's being sarcastic. The recent Channel 4 advert even took the the piss out of his interview with Robert Downey Jr. ("I'm sorry, I thought we were promoting Channel 4 here?")

I covered that in my post, yes :v It is in part why Krishnan took it so well, and that goes to the issue of people in the US not being able to have any fun. Channel 4 may have fuck-ups like the RDJ interview, but at least they don't whine about how rude the celebrities are to them (I assume they don't, anyway). But not everyone on NeoGAF is going to create the distinction between the Ayoade interview and the Cara interview. I'm not crying "misogyny", I'm just crying favouritism between the two actors (though I really haven't a clue as to whether Cara is a popular actress).

Ending an interview mid stream because you got your feelings hurt by a celebrity which forces you to call them out on air is great professional work that should be applauded.

gerg

I'm afraid to call it that because it implies some wit or thought had gone into the response. But sure, it's sarcasm in a basic way I guess.

"do you like thing?"
"no, I hate thing...no, of course I like thing"
"..."

Isn't saying the opposite of what you mean almost definitionally sarcasm?

It's local news. They don't get paid a ton. The actors getting interview get payed astronomically more. That's part of why they just have to put up with lazy interview questions. If they only want to be asked brilliant questions they can put that in the contract and subsequently not get hired for a lot of jobs.

I don't understand why you're putting all the onus on the actors (and having very low standards for local news) to avoid these types of situations. I guess you like your celebrities to be awfully bland and nondescript.

daviyoung

Banned

at its most primitive level, but for it to really shine it needs to be used as part of a joke and that joke needs to be used to make a point

you achieve sarcasm level 1 by just saying the opposite, but you're not going to get any applause from me for punching those low-hanging balls...especially if you take-backsies with "only kidding" as the punchline

at it's most primitive level, but for it to really shine it needs to be used as part of a joke and that joke needs to be used to make a point

you achieve sarcasm level 1 by just saying the opposite, but you're not going to get any applause from me for punching those low-hanging balls...especially if you take-backsies with "only kidding" as the punchline

Isn't that british dry humor, tho?

:p

In a bad way? Wtf are you talking about? It was harmless.

He's saying for a tv host, he could have worded it more eloquently, not that they were stating the question in a negative manor.

gerg

at it's most primitive level, but for it to really shine it needs to be used as part of a joke and that joke needs to be used to make a point

She did make a point, saying "I kind of just winged it" as part of her first answer to highlight how reading a book would be the entirely obvious first step in preparing for a role in the film.

I didn't say she was especially funny, but rather that she was certainly being sarcastic.

Isn't that british dry humor, tho?

:p

Yes! /Brit

Fathom

Banned

I don't understand why you're putting all the onus on the actors (and having very low standards for local news) to avoid these types of situations. I guess you like your celebrities to be awfully bland and nondescript.

Because the onus is on the actors. The press racket is boring but unbelievably easy. I don't give a shit about celebrity culture so I could care less how bland or interesting they appear to be, it's all fake anyway. I only care about how good they are as performers.

It depends on the book and the role.

If your an up and coming actor/actress who gets lucky enough to get a lead role. I bet 90 percent of the time you read the book your role is based off of to get a clearer picture of your role so you can do the best job you can

Is this 90% figure based on facts?

If there's loads of time before shooting, maybe you might do research in the form of checking out the original material. You might get fanboy/girl actors/actresses of the source material, but it's not a required credential. You'll just be sent a script which is all you need.

In a bad way? Wtf are you talking about? It was harmless.

How often is an actor asked if they have any knowledge of the source material? If we're going by what Green said, we can at least use the anecdote that her male co-star virtually never gets that question.

That said, they might not want to be in this job if they can't take mildly biting sarcasm.

daviyoung

Banned
She did make a point, saying "I kind of just winged it" as part of her first answer to highlight how reading a book would be the entirely obvious first step in preparing for a role in the film.

and then "only joking, of course I read the book"

if it was that obvious, why explain it? the hosts got the joke

Fathom

Banned
How often is an actor asked if they have any knowledge of the source material? If we're going by what Green said, we can at least use the anecdote that her male co-star virtually never gets that question.

That said, they might not want to be in this job if they can't take mildly biting sarcasm.

Again, how or why would they be aware of her male co star getting asked the same thing?

And I think it was made pretty clear that they can and do take biting sarcasm well by sending back their own.

daviyoung

Banned
Fair enough. I'm not quite sure what your point is, then. She is being both sarcastic and then reasonably answering the question. Would you like her to have been more sarcastic?

if you're going to be obnoxiously sarcastic, but also actorbot5000 regurgitating your press lines then it's best to pick a fucking side otherwise people will be confused and irritated like these morning TV hosts

it's especially true if you lack the self awareness or consciousness to humour correctly

Fathom

Banned
Why? Why is it not the onus of the press racket to make their questions more interesting? They might get better interviews that way.

Local news doesn't have the time or money to give a shit. This isn't Late Night TV or Charlie Rose, the producers wanted cheap advertisement so they signed deals to do appearances like this instead of more expensive stuff like the Today show or Fallon. It's a numbers game.

Arkeband

Banned
I covered that in my post, yes :v It is in part why Krishnan took it so well, and that goes to the issue of people in the US not being able to have any fun. Channel 4 may have fuck-ups like the RDJ interview, but at least they don't whine about how rude the celebrities are to them (I assume they don't, anyway). But not everyone on NeoGAF is going to create the distinction between the Ayoade interview and the Cara interview. I'm not crying "misogyny", I'm just crying favouritism between the two actors (though I really haven't a clue as to whether Cara is a popular actress).

I drew a parallel earlier in the thread, but because of how different they were - one was dry and witty with purpose (Ayoade knows and disapproves of Krishnan's shenanigans) while Cara doesn't know these anchors but still cops a huge attitude.

So we understand why Ayoade was being a dick, but Cara being one is different unless these anchors are known for being giant dickheads.

I don't think she is the first British person to get tired of American sugar-coated faux-cordiality.

She did seem to be in a grump, but I don't see why she has to feel enthusiastic to those inane questions.

Is this 90% figure based on facts?

If there's loads of time before shooting, maybe you might do research in the form of checking out the original material. You might get fanboy/girl actors/actresses of the source material, but it's not a required credential. You'll just be sent a script which is all you need.

Didn't say it was required, but if you were given a break like that I bet more often than not, your going to read the book if it isn't a massive undertaking like GoT or HP

Local news doesn't have the time or money to give a shit. This isn't Late Night TV or Charlie Rose, the producers wanted cheap advertisement so they signed deals to do appearances like this instead of more expensive stuff like the Today show or Fallon. It's a numbers game.

So now their job is to not give a shit?

Aren't they there to provide news for people who watch their show, and might give a shit. Imagine being a fan of hers and to see them end the interview prematurely because someone sensed an attitude when there really wasn't one.

Again, how or why would they be aware of her male co star getting asked the same thing?

And I think it was made pretty clear that they can and do take biting sarcasm well by sending back their own.

Cara was annoyed, the hosts were upset. It's a marked distinction and categorically makes what they did different. She was sarcastic because she didn't care, they were sarcastic because she made them mad.

obin_gam

They cut the segment. The screen literally cuts out in the middle. How is that "taking it well"?

Because the onus is on the actors. The press racket is boring but unbelievably easy. I don't give a shit about celebrity culture so I could care less how bland or interesting they appear to be, it's all fake anyway. I only care about how good they are as performers.
So you do actually care a bit?

Maybe if they gave a shit, things like this wouldn't occur.

Dalek

To the viewer, the outside observer and the interviewee-there is no difference and it doesn't justify their unprofessionalism.

SheSaidNo

I guess she just couldn't hack it on the american small town news circuit. Another example of American besting British humor.

Fathom

Banned
Cara was annoyed, the hosts were upset. It's a marked distinction and categorically makes what they did different. She was sarcastic because she didn't care, they were sarcastic because she made them mad.

Yeah, that definitely makes Cara out to be worse because she entered the interview in bad faith. You're right.

"With that said, I saw you in London a couple of weeks ago on TV and you seemed a lot more excited about it than you do right now. Are you just exhausted?"

"Oooh. No, I'm still very excited. The premiere was last night, it was an emotional night. Felt like an end of an era. But I'm not any less excited than I was a couple of weeks ago. Maybe if I had a bit more energy. It's the morning."

"You do seem a bit irritated. Perhaps it's just us."

"Yeah, I think it's just you."

"On that note, we'll let you go then. How about that? Let you take a little nap. Maybe get a Redbull. How about that?"

*feed cut off*

"She was in a mood! Ooooo weeee! Jeez louise!"

"You make 5 million dollars for 6 weeks worth of work! You can pretend to talk to Good Day Sacramento with some oomph!"

If someone told you "hey, smile a bit more, be more excited", pretty sure you'd get pissed off. Like, you can't see your own facial expressions, so you won't know how you come off. Like, why are you getting so personal? Can you just be professional and focus on the interview rather than my mood?

Then adding the cheetah and baby screaming sound effects afterwards was pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom