• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 203 CM Punk vs Mickey Gall |OT| Like Mussolini and Kennedy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox318

This is why Dana just made millions upon millions selling UFC and this guy writes for Bleacher Report for half a lunch and some spare change.

I don't blame Dana or the UFC at all. In fact they did this the right way in trying to build up a young fighter with a thing for flair in Gall.

The blame and hubris lands on Punk and the people around him in his life telling him this was a bad idea.

darscot

Damn CM Punk got 500k base salary for the fight. Gall got 30k which included a win bonus.

Not a bad payday for punk

How do UFC fighters get paid? Do they get a salary for when they are not fighting? I fucking hope fighters do not have to cover the camp and expenses of training out of that. Even if all that is covered 30K is fucking disgrace, I hate that about the UFC.

Podge293

How do UFC fighters get paid? Do they get a salary for when they are not fighting? I fucking hope fighters do not have to cover the camp and expenses of training out of that. Even if all that is covered 30K is fucking disgrace, I hate that about the UFC.

I've no clue to be perfectly honest. I said base salary for lack of a better term.

Punk was getting 500k regardless the outcome. Gall a min of 15k. He got another 15k for the win.

This doesn't include sponsorship

Now that Punk has parlayed his wrestling career into being a terrible comic book writer and a terrible MMA fighter, what other job that he's completely unqualified for can he use his notoriety to fail at before going back to wrestling?

Professional DOTA player sounds good.

Now that Punk has parlayed his wrestling career into being a terrible comic book writer and a terrible MMA fighter, what other job that he's completely unqualified for can he use his notoriety to fail at before going back to wrestling?

Given the obvious mid life crisis he is going through my bet is next he is going to start a band.

Fox318

I'm honestly shocked he isn't an aspiring musician.

Heel

I don't blame Dana or the UFC at all. In fact they did this the right way in trying to build up a young fighter with a thing for flair in Gall.

The blame and hubris lands on Punk and the people around him in his life telling him this was a bad idea.

What's interesting is he's reacting to CM Punk the same way "real wrestling fans" react to wrestlers who didn't "earn their way" to the spotlight, yet they are the same fans who are reacting to this piece so adversely. Funny that.

Fox318

What's interesting is he's reacting to CM Punk the same way "real wrestling fans" react to wrestlers who didn't "earn their way" to the spotlight, yet they are the same fans who are reacting to this piece so adversely. Funny that.

I think the difference is with wrestling so often talent and even the ability to draw and make money is second to the personal tastes of about 4 people who are subservient to 1 (Vince). In wrestling the vision of what Vince wants is more important than anything else because he controls so much of the industry.

In MMA yeah you will have guys that don't earn their spot (Hendo getting a title shot, Conor getting a 2nd fight with Nate, Northcutt getting 3 figures fighting cans) but they have to go in and do their work to win. If Punk were to win against Gall then win 2 fights in a row impressively then he probably could have earned a title shot without people saying shit.

Ultimately the fighter can control their path in the real sport more than the entertainer in the vaudeville theater that is wrestling because of the people in charge of wrestling and the people whom Punk spent so long dealing with.

Fox318

R1I7BuI.png

1 million more people watched Punk the champ of champs

One of the most ironic things was Punk saying that Gall had no confidence because he rightfully said he doesn't belong on the poster/main event.
Gall believes he belongs in the UFC, he's just being realistic.
I guess Punk has turned all motivational speaker now that it's apparent he can't fight hence his speech to Gall after the bout.

Aiii

So not worth it

Funny. Also, not true.

The funny thing is that there are plenty of pro wrestlers who went into MMA and didn't completely embarrass themselves including guys like Batista and Lashely. Punk is probably on the low end of pro wrestling turned MMA performances.

Heel

I think the difference is with wrestling so often talent and even the ability to draw and make money is second to the personal tastes of about 4 people who are subservient to 1 (Vince). In wrestling the vision of what Vince wants is more important than anything else because he controls so much of the industry.

In MMA yeah you will have guys that don't earn their spot (Hendo getting a title shot, Conor getting a 2nd fight with Nate, Northcutt getting 3 figures fighting cans) but they have to go in and do their work to win. If Punk were to win against Gall then win 2 fights in a row impressively then he probably could have earned a title shot without people saying shit.

Ultimately the fighter can control their path in the real sport more than the entertainer in the vaudeville theater that is wrestling because of the people in charge of wrestling and the people whom Punk spent so long dealing with.

UFC is very much about keeping up the veil and perception of sport, when in actuality it's all about putting together the fights that make money. All those examples you mention were not "earned" in the eye of the hardcore fan, but clear to anyone who sees it as prize fighting.

Funny. Also, not true.

Use your words, Aiii. Until then, you're a dude grumbling that the wrestler didn't stick it to the MMA fans.

Sounds like you got worked.

5aKhAMs.png

Fox318

Did you actually see Batista's debut???
Big dave won after taking some strikes and he even got the guy to the ground. Sure the guy was a can but Bautista was also new and at least he showed some toughness.

UFC is very much about keeping up the veil and perception of sport, when in actuality it's all about putting together the fights that make money. All those examples you mention were not "earned" in the eye of the hardcore fan, but clear to anyone who sees it as prize fighting.

5aKhAMs.png

I think the UFC can be both. I'm excited for the Hendo fight but the people below bisping either lost or pissed hot. There is an argument for Hendo even with the sports rankings not being in his favor.

Aiii

So not worth it

I wanted to believe in Punk, that does not make any of your blanket statement any more true, though. I am sure people in the wrestling thread will attest that I am hardly the guy that only supports people "that earned their spots." I could give a shit, I want to be entertained and I appreciate people that don't give and work to get better.

Punk might not have any apparent fighting instincts at all, but he got people to watch this mediocre card in droves and seemingly worked his ass off to get there and for that he gets all the props in the world. Guy could have walked away at any point when he and his coaches realized how crap he was and just throw it on his back injury preventing him from fighting and nobody would be any wiser.

darscot

I think people are vastly over estimating how many people tuned in for Punk. There were two solid heavyweight tilts, people always tune in for the big boys.

Aiii

So not worth it
I think people are vastly over estimating how many people tuned in for Punk. There were two solid heavyweight tilts, people always tune in for the big boys.

UFC 198: Werdum vs Miocic did 350k buys. This one supposedly did around 800k.

scabro

Punk didn't demand the fight to be in UFC though. UFC is the one that offered him the contract and the PPV.
Best part is dana and lorenzo actually diverted their flight to go see GSP to drop in on Punk and offer him a UFC contract in Chicago.

Win win for everyone. UFC get their freak show draw, Punk gets a huge payday and his first fight in the UFC, Gall gets a nice push to start his career, bitter marks get to laugh at Punk, Punk goes home to AJ.

win win win

there is nooo way UFC lets him go so that he can just go to Bellator and put huge numbers for them.

UFC will pay him out and put him on those small mma events that they have on their fight pass app.

those.buys are equivalent to about 20m of extra profit due to Punk fighting. theyll pay him one or two more times.

Every time I see the gif of the punk fight, i get depressed. I thought he would do better. Gall went for the bill, so what ever. Punk probably hadn't skirmished with someone that aggressive. which is funny because I doubt Punk started a Skirmish before that aggressive.

Heel

I wanted to believe in Punk, that does not make any of your blanket statement any more true, though. I am sure people in the wrestling thread will attest that I am hardly the guy that only supports people "that earned their spots." I could give a shit, I want to be entertained and I appreciate people that don't give and work to get better.

Punk might not have any apparent fighting instincts at all, but he got people to watch this mediocre card in droves and seemingly worked his ass off to get there and for that he gets all the props in the world. Guy could have walked away at any point when he and his coaches realized how crap he was and just throw it on his back injury preventing him from fighting and nobody would be any wiser.

That may be true to you, but the fact that remains that Phil Brooks is the Roman Reigns to the hardcore UFC fan. Didn't earn his spot, didn't pay his dues, and some technical nobody from the farm leagues who can't draw a dime should have his spot. That's their mentality, and they're in direct parallel with one another.

So with that said, anyone getting tight about Jonathan Snowden's view of Phil Brooks should take a look in the mirror, as you're likely to be a walking contradiction.

jmdajr

Best part is dana and lorenzo actually diverted their flight to go see GSP to drop in on Punk and offer him a UFC contract in Chicago.

Win win for everyone. UFC get their freak show draw, Punk gets a huge payday and his first fight in the UFC, Gall gets a nice push to start his career, bitter marks get to laugh at Punk, Punk goes home to AJ.

win win win

McMahons get a good laugh. Yeah lots of win I suppose.

Punk looks like a damn fool but hey, he wasn't doing that shit for free.

darscot

Yeah guess it was just me and the guys I watch UFC with but Punk was not a draw for us. We tuned in because we were expecting two big time KO's. The Punk fight went exactly as expected and its just not very interesting when the outcome seems so obvious. I guess a lot of casuals tuned in for Punk.

even if Punk was a huge draw for 203, once he got his ass throttled that draw power is greatly diminished. Kimbo was a draw too but eventually when it became clear he had no business in the UFC they cut him lose. It's clear Punk has no business in the UFC, and continuing to parade him out there starts to hurt the UFC's credibility. Dana will probably cut his losses.

Fox318

Every time I see the gif of the punk fight, i get depressed. I thought he would do better. Gall went for the bill, so what ever. Punk probably hadn't skirmished with someone that aggressive. which is funny because I doubt Punk started a Skirmish before that aggressive.

Everyone and their mother knew Gall was going to go for a takedown especially on somebody who ever report coming out of his camp talked about how he could get taken down easily.

With that type of striking game Punk had he had no strength going into the fight.

It's all Duke Roufus' fault, he told Punk to go right at him, hit him and knock him down.

jmdajr

honestly...the mma community is showing tons of respect so doubt he cares about what people on blogs and twitter say.

Punks likes the heat. I don't know if he's happy without it. I think it does hurt him some deep inside. A little.

I'm sure he will have that extra fun banter walking around.

Man that is brutal, how do you even break even.

You don't which is why even some veterans have to find other streams of income such as a second job, especially now that they can't even wear their sponsors logos. Dana trying to sell us ugly, overpriced reebok jersey shirts to make UFC look like the NFL/NBA while paying many of his fighters a pittance.

The only option the up and comers have is to stick it out until they can get some paydays if they're actually good enough to garner significant hype.

Fox318

even if Punk was a huge draw for 203, once he got his ass throttled that draw power is greatly diminished. Kimbo was a draw too but eventually when it became clear he had no business in the UFC they cut him lose. It's clear Punk has no business in the UFC, and continuing to parade him out there starts to hurt the UFC's credibility. Dana will probably cut his losses.

Bellator was able to make good money on Kimbo. There is no reason why the UFC can't put Punk on another card or even send him to Pancrease or Shooto.

The only person who should reconsider having Punk fight is Punk. UFC made money and while Punk may be able to make a living off of this I'm not sure he will be good enough that he can protect himself in the cage.

so leanereem made 800k and would have had another 200k if he won...if my math is correct he would have made a million.

dont see that too often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom