• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 203 CM Punk vs Mickey Gall |OT| Like Mussolini and Kennedy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox318

Cq_RFQHXEAAUFc5.jpg:large

dream

I agree but didn't even know Woodley had gone there. Honestly the guy is so talented and such a great athlete that they really don't have to do much -- he's been top-contender level for years. I feel like these camps take dudes on just for the money and exposure sometimes. Like, I haven't really seen any of that patented Jackson Strategy in Overeem, who looked like he was fighting on three concussions strategy-wise the moment that fight started.

It makes so much sense though. Overeem got 800k, CM got 500k. You can't say no to training someone when you're getting a cut of a mid-to-high 6 figure show purse.

Chesskid1

Banned
it's always nice to see someone from a smaller camp do well like stipe

i always think mma camps are going to turn into like video game developers

AAA camps or small/indie camps, not much in between.

Banglish

Spot on.

I usually don't look for these, but seeing how I don't really know the WWE or where to find fan reactions, I looked up a Youtube vid of a CM Punk fan recording herself watching the fight.

She was super hyped before the fight, and even after the initial takedown, you could really tell that she was just waiting for CM Punk to turn the tables and get his big moment, conditioned to expect the back and forth of WWE matches, where every fighter gets some good shots in and an equal opportunity to show their stuff, only going down after a brave fight.

You could tell that she was visibly disappointed that a real fight just... ended completely one-sided like that, like she didn't even consider that as a possibility.

I wanna see them tears

Dr.Acula

Banned
gall is so optimistic, happy and positive, really damn annoying. hope he gets beat up.

i hope cm punk will be able to fight in the UFC again, against a pure striker. im guessing ground game is a lot harder to learn than standup so that's why gall took him down, since his advantage is larger there and he didn't want punk to have a chance.

Even an MMA "pure striker" would probably go to the ground against CM Punk. He's a 37 year-old with back issues. I can't imagine anyone else in the UFC being worse on the ground than Punk. They picked Gall out of a minor promotion and Punk made him look like Royce Gracie. And given how slow and uncoordinated Punk looked for the two seconds he was standing, do you want to see someone clock him with the first punch?

Heel

Honestly, Duke Rufus is an absolute bum of a trainer, who runs an absolute shit fight team that skates on luck, like the Showtime kick or the Woodley KO of Robbie. That gym is one step up from a McDojo. If CM continues, I hope he goes to a real team like AKA or Winklejohn.

Let's just say Phil is lucky he's a celebrity, or Cush would've greenlit him on Monday.

FStop7

Banned
Lol this is 2016. No one thinks pro wrestling is real anymore. Pro wrestling doesn't even think it's real anymore.

You know what, though? Everyone says this yet there are still a lot of people who get real agitated when the topic comes up. And they also seem to fall into the same basket of people who think being only a pro wrestler with no other sports or athletic background means you can step directly into a UFC fight without having your face torn off.

The Beard

and if gall wins his next 2-3 fights and hits the top 10 or top 5, cm punk's loss will basically mean nothing because he was fighting a top of the division guy

just something to think about while watching gall in the future

2-3 fights to hit the top 5? Lol

I'd be shocked if he cracked the top 50 after 2-3 fights.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Honestly, Duke Rufus is an absolute bum of a trainer, who runs an absolute shit fight team that skates on luck, like the Showtime kick or the Woodley KO of Robbie. That gym is one step up from a McDojo. If CM continues, I hope he goes to a real team like AKA or Winklejohn.

The only gym CM Punk belongs at is LA Fitness.

Haunted

Pretty confident Sage is going to destroy Gall.
You really can't make a prediction like that, because Gall is a virtual unknown. He hasn't had a real fight yet, and while he looks good in training (like many others), you can't really tell how he'll perform against a stiffer challenge. Northcutt would be the best guy he has fought so far, so I'd be interested in seeing that happen.

Wait...Punk made $500,000 against Mickey, and he has a three fight contract? That dude is galloping to the bank while everyone is online acting like they could have done more than he did. Even in a loss, that was a good day for him lol

Weckum

Wait...Punk made $500,000 against Mickey, and he has a three fight contract? That dude is galloping to the bank while everyone is online acting like they could have done more than he did. Even in a loss, that was a good day for him lol

Punk doesn't need to do it for the money tho. Dude is probably loaded from wrestling.

$500,000 and an additional $250,000 from Reebok. The 3 fight contract isn't guaranteed unless Dana gives him the ok for another fight on PPV and so far has said his next fight shouldn't be on the UFC.

i think he actually lost more money going down the MMA route compared to him and AJ sticking with the WWE.

Punk doesn't need to do it for the money tho. Dude is probably loaded from wrestling.
Exactly. This is just extra money. Not discrediting training, moral, and what not, but he fucking won. Say what you want, he got paid to live a dream. Not you specifically, just speaking in general.

$500,000 and an additional $250,000 from Reebok. The 3 fight contract isn't guaranteed unless Dana gives him the ok for another fight on PPV and so far has said his next fight shouldn't be on the UFC.

i think he actually lost more money going down the MMA route compared to him and AJ sticking with the WWE.
He was done with WWE, both him as well as AJ, right?

Exactly. This is just extra money. Not discrediting training, moral, and what not, but he fucking won. Say what you want, he got paid to live a dream. Not you specifically, just speaking in general.

He was done with WWE, both him as well as AJ, right?

yeah but if he had chosen to stay over the last 2 years he would have made more with his contract and merchandise sales than this one fight. he needed a win to prolong his UFC run and to have more bargaining power if he ever decided to go back to the WWE.

Anyone see Werdum's Wikipedia page now? Lmao

https://imgur.com/a/Gvuxg

Amazing hahaha

Highlight of the night. Well, after the flying kick.

Seems like there is a reading comprehension problem.

Sportsmanship and rules aren't related. Quoting the rules when someone is talking about sportsmanship is absolutely pointless.

If the ref doesn't call a halt during after any injury or foul, the rules say the fight continues. Nobody is saying otherwise. Good sportsmanship would be the non-injured fighter holding off and acknowledging the injury or foul.

What happens in a case of good sportsmanship is that the United or fouled fighter gets the chance to get the refs attention. At that point the ref will either halt the fight or tell them to fight on. There's nothing lost by the fighter using good sportsmanship.

It's the same way when a fighter knocks another completely out. Rules say they can keep striking until the ref steps in but there are obvious cases where that isn't necessary. Mark Hunt is known for not doling out uneccessary punishment once he's seen his opponent is out and he's well respected for it.

That is what is being discussed. The quality of the fighter as a competitor. Not whether or not the rules allowed for it.

Nothing about what he did was unsporting. He wanted an illegal timeout, the ref didn't say anything, he kept fighting as per the rules of the Octagon.

If the ref had stopped it and he still punched that's unsporting.

If his eye was hanging out or his leg was clearly broke I'd agree with you to an extent. But he was just holding his finger. Fuck that. Game on m8.

yeah but if he had chosen to stay over the last 2 years he would have made more with his contract and merchandise sales than this one fight. he needed a win to prolong his UFC run and to have more bargaining power if he ever decided to go back to the WWE.
He is "set" though, right? Financially, I mean.

Wrestlers don't make as much as you seem to think they do. He has money, but not "set for life" money.

That and money burns fast if you don't drastically lower your standard of living.

I'm sure you could manage but i doubt it will be an exciting life doing nothing for up to 50 years and having to budget your money.

hamchan

I think he has to land 1 significant strike first for it to count as living the dream.

According to a few google searches he has about 7.5 million. He's basically set for life.

he has a multi million dollar home in a city with rising property taxes and he lives a life of luxury. i think you'd be surprised with how much can be spent in just a few years. he also has a lawsuit against him and attorney fees are high.

According to a few google searches he has about 7.5 million. He's basically set for life.

Nah. He probably has mortages and loans to pay, wants to entertain himself over the next 50 odd years and has a certain standard of living and a wife. What if they divorce which is more likely than not?

If you earn 100k a year that's a million over 10 years and 5 million over 50. 7.5 mill doesn't look as cozy anymore for a upper middleclass person.

How does reported net worth work? His net worth was reportedly $7.5m in 2014. Another link says his reported net worth in 2016 is $7.5m. Did he not spend any money in two years?

Aiii

So not worth it
he has a multi million dollar home in a city with rising property taxes and he lives a life of luxury. i think you'd be surprised with how much can be spent in just a few years. he also has a lawsuit against him and attorney fees are high.

I'm sure the Tattoo parlor on the ground floor that pays rent to him more than covers whatever taxes he has to pay.

DKehoe

One suspects most barely do.

MMA in general tends to pay fighters in general get paid very little. iirc nothing touches boxing as far as fighter purses are concerned.

Joanne Calderwood was on the main card for that show and was ranked in the top 10 of her division. After her previous fight she posted on instagram about how not getting one of the performance bonuses meant that she didn't have enough money to be able to afford to train and would have to work another job to save up the money to be able to do so. The UFC should be embarrassed by this sort of thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom