• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 203 CM Punk vs Mickey Gall |OT| Like Mussolini and Kennedy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bellator was able to make good money on Kimbo. There is no reason why the UFC can't put Punk on another card or even send him to Pancrease or Shooto.

The only person who should reconsider having Punk fight is Punk. UFC made money and while Punk may be able to make a living off of this I'm not sure he will be good enough that he can protect himself in the cage.

ehhh.. one or two more fights against lesser opponents wouldnt give him a mush brain or anything. let him do it who cares.

Bellator was able to make good money on Kimbo. There is no reason why the UFC can't put Punk on another card or even send him to Pancrease or Shooto.

The only person who should reconsider having Punk fight is Punk. UFC made money and while Punk may be able to make a living off of this I'm not sure he will be good enough that he can protect himself in the cage.

Depends on how much Punk is making. UFC has cut a lot of name guys, even guys who don't necessarily lose, because they make more than they are worth in terms of draw power. This is the problem for Punk. He was a great one-time draw, but how much is that star power going to carry on now that he's been waxed so embarrassingly?

Heel

It's all Duke Roufus' fault, he told Punk to go right at him, hit him and knock him down.

knew exactly how to get Punk out of there as quick as possible...smart man

If it come down to Roufus making a game plan that was to prevent punk from getting hurt that may have been the best plan.

Outside of jumping out of the cage.

Yeah...should he have laid back and worked his superior counter striking, or something? Dude's only chance was the ol' Lucky Punch, and I'm sure Duke knew that.

Wouldn't doubt that Duke wants him to get right back on that bike to get another piece of the pie, either. Kind of sad.

That may be true to you, but the fact that remains that Phil Brooks is the Roman Reigns to the hardcore UFC fan. Didn't earn his spot, didn't pay his dues, and some technical nobody from the farm leagues who can't draw a dime should have his spot. That's their mentality, and they're in direct parallel with one another.

So with that said, anyone getting tight about Jonathan Snowden's view of Phil Brooks should take a look in the mirror, as you're likely to be a walking contradiction.
Basically:
v6bBOEr.png

Yeah...should he have laid back and worked his superior counter striking, or something? Dude's only chance was the ol' Lucky Punch, and I'm sure Duke knew that.

Wouldn't doubt that Duke wants him to get right back on that bike to get another piece of the pie, either. Kind of sad.
I thought it was obvious I was joking.
Punk could have ran around the Octagon like Overeem though hoping Gall twisted his ankle and then pounced on it biting it and tearing away the damaged ligament.

Fox318

ehhh.. one or two more fights against lesser opponents wouldnt give him a mush brain or anything. let him do it who cares.

99KYU7H.png

sNr5jMI.jpg

Not to mention he probably has a crazy amount of concussions from wrestling and his other injuries.

Depends on how much Punk is making. UFC has cut a lot of name guys, even guys who don't necessarily lose, because they make more than they are worth in terms of draw power. This is the problem for Punk. He was a great one-time draw, but how much is that star power going to carry on now that he's been waxed so embarrassingly?

Part of that was because they couldn't get New York to legalize MMA so they wanted to clean the image up as much as possible. Now the UFC is big enough that image problems won't be a concern unless somebody dies during a weight cut.

Punk vs Mike Jackson might be the next fight to make and then they can cut punk if they want to.

Though if Punk does want to fight he can't go quiet like he did last time.

Except Punk didn't even throw a good punch. Hell if you were going to bank everything on one hit wouldn't you want it to be a crazy right cross? Instead Punk threw a left jab where his right hand ended out going further out.

The Beard

there is nooo way UFC lets him go so that he can just go to Bellator and put huge numbers for them.

UFC will pay him out and put him on those small mma events that they have on their fight pass app.

those.buys are equivalent to about 20m of extra profit due to Punk fighting. theyll pay him one or two more times.

He's 38 and he looked like dogshit in his first fight. He's not going to be anyone's cash cow. The curiosity is over. He's not going to improve enough to compete at the professional level, he's too old and slow.

I can see him getting one more "Redemption Fight". He'll be a good draw again, but this time it'll be purely for the lulz. But after he gets that ass whooped again by another rookie, he's done.

Part of that was because they couldn't get New York to legalize MMA so they wanted to clean the image up as much as possible. Now the UFC is big enough that image problems won't be a concern unless somebody dies during a weight cut.

I'm not talking about the safety aspect, I'm talking about selling people shit fights featuring undeserving, unprepared fighters. That's not something you want to be known for. It works in a one-time sort of thing, because you have the allure of the "unknown", but now that's gone. Everybody knows Punk has no business being in the octagon. Everybody knows that any 170 lb'er in the UFC (and probably anywhere else) would starch this guy. T The mystery is gone. How do you sell that? I think Dana knows this which is why he sounded the way he did when talking about Punk after the fight. He very much sounded like he was talking about someone who was not a UFC fighter. Maybe UFC throws him on a free Fox card or something, but it wouldn't surprise me if he was done.

Haunted

the beauty of fake sports is they could say punk has been training non stop... and then they can book him to look like his training meant something. they can do a documentary of him training, and have it culminate in a big moment for him. that makes him look strong. unlike ufc, where training non stop for two years can result in...

eK2ZMWJ.gif
Spot on.

I usually don't look for these, but seeing how I don't really know the WWE or where to find fan reactions, I looked up a Youtube vid of a CM Punk fan recording herself watching the fight.

She was super hyped before the fight, and even after the initial takedown, you could really tell that she was just waiting for CM Punk to turn the tables and get his big moment, conditioned to expect the back and forth of WWE matches, where every fighter gets some good shots in and an equal opportunity to show their stuff, only going down after a brave fight.

You could tell that she was visibly disappointed that a real fight just... ended completely one-sided like that, like she didn't even consider that as a possibility.

Heel

there is nooo way UFC lets him go so that he can just go to Bellator and put huge numbers for them.

UFC will pay him out and put him on those small mma events that they have on their fight pass app.

those.buys are equivalent to about 20m of extra profit due to Punk fighting. theyll pay him one or two more times.

People forget that Bellator was interested in signing Phil, and UFC likely signed him defensively.

I think the most likely outcome is he signs on for a season of TUF. Surround him with a cast of jobbers, let him work everyone into a shoot for episodes on end, blood feud with someone on another PPV. Easy money.

Fox318

I'm not talking about the safety aspect, I'm talking about selling people shit fights featuring undeserving, unprepared fighters. That's not something you want to be known for. It works in a one-time sort of thing, because you have the allure of the "unknown", but now that's gone. Everybody knows Punk has no business being in the octagon. Everybody knows that any 170 lb'er in the UFC (and probably anywhere else) would starch this guy. T The mystery is gone. How do you sell that? I think Dana knows this which is why he sounded the way he did when talking about Punk after the fight. He very much sounded like he was talking about someone who was not a UFC fighter. Maybe UFC throws him on a free Fox card or something, but it wouldn't surprise me if he was done.

I think there is still a market for a redemption fight and what heel posted below.

People forget that Bellator was interested in signing Phil, and UFC likely signed him defensively.

I think the most likely outcome is he signs on for a season of TUF.
Surround him with a cast of jobbers, let him work everyone into a shoot for episodes on end, blood feud with someone on another PPV. Easy money.

That is a brilliant idea. It gets him on TV for a full season and focuses on how he actually trains plus you get to see what he is like around other fighters. Plus it gets eyes on TUF.

I think the most likely outcome is he signs on for a season of TUF. Surround him with a cast of jobbers, let him work everyone into a shoot for episodes on end, blood feud with someone on another PPV. Easy money.

Make him one of the coaches.

I think there is still a market for a redemption fight and what heel posted below.

That is a brilliant idea. It gets him on TV for a full season and focuses on how he actually trains plus you get to see what he is like around other fighters. Plus it gets eyes on TUF.

I'm not saying there isn't money to be made with Punk, just depends on his contract situation with the UFC. If they are paying him a lot, they might decide he's not a big enough draw to warrant the contract. If he agrees to do TV or take less money I can see them using him again.

Heel

I'm not saying there isn't money to be made with Punk, just depends on his contract situation with the UFC. If they are paying him a lot, they might decide he's not a big enough draw to warrant the contract. If he agrees to do TV or take less money I can see them using him again.

500k and points after some threshold of PPV buys, likely. I'm sure he's worth the flat fee and any gravy on top.

Think he'll do the show for one of those sweet custom Harleys, breh?

scabro

the problem is that anything other than a tuf whose gimmick is a house full of people without any prior combat sports experience and punk doesnt make it either.

and the only way ufc could put punk on again with a real fight is if they hand picked a guy with even less experience and promise than gall. otherwise youre watching to see cm punk die. ufc cant get away with that, and cm punk's loss in drawing power the second time out wont make it worth the trouble.

Put Ryback Alan Reeves in the house with him

Heel

the problem is that anything other than a tuf whose gimmick is a house full of people without any prior combat sports experience and punk doesnt make it either.

and the only way ufc could put punk on again with a real fight is if they hand picked a guy with even less experience and promise than gall. otherwise youre watching to see cm punk die. ufc cant get away with that, and cm punk's loss in drawing power the second time out wont make it worth the trouble.

I've always said Celebrity Boxing should come back in MMA form. This is their chance.

Green Ranger is willing for the free bed and food alone.

Fox318

Make it a house fill of amateurs.

One side MMA fans the other side wrestling fans. Have a scene where the wrestling fans realize they can't call spots and a scene with the MMA fans where they realize that a tapout via boston crab can happen.

Chesskid1

Banned
gall is so optimistic, happy and positive, really damn annoying. hope he gets beat up.

i hope cm punk will be able to fight in the UFC again, against a pure striker. im guessing ground game is a lot harder to learn than standup so that's why gall took him down, since his advantage is larger there and he didn't want punk to have a chance.

The Beard

gall is so optimistic, happy and positive, really damn annoying. hope he gets beat up.

i hope cm punk will be able to fight in the UFC again, against a pure striker. im guessing ground game is a lot harder to learn than standup so that's why gall took him down, since his advantage is larger there and he didn't want punk to have a chance.

Have you seen CM Punk throw a punch though? It's not pretty, at all.

scabro

I've always said Celebrity Boxing should come back in MMA form. This is their chance.

Green Ranger is willing for the free bed and food alone.

green ranger is a shoe in

my mind jumped to mario lopez when you said celebrity boxing, but mario would look like ggg in there. too qualified.

maybe its time anthony kiedis went from cage side to inside.

Fox318

Dana White saw the PPV numbers and is currently starting a new show...

"Lookin' for an even worse fight, ya goofs"

"we went to every message board online and found 16 of the most angry trolls on the internet. Now we will put them in the octagon and the winner gets to fight noted angry interneter CM Punk"

dream

Honestly, Duke Rufus is an absolute bum of a trainer, who runs an absolute shit fight team that skates on luck, like the Showtime kick or the Woodley KO of Robbie. That gym is one step up from a McDojo. If CM continues, I hope he goes to a real team like AKA or Winklejohn.

CM Punk fighting a striker would lead to him fracturing his skull. Gall did him a favor by taking it to the ground and slapping on an RNC.

Chesskid1

Banned
and if gall wins his next 2-3 fights and hits the top 10 or top 5, cm punk's loss will basically mean nothing because he was fighting a top of the division guy

just something to think about while watching gall in the future

Fox318

Honestly, Duke Rufus is an absolute bum of a trainer, who runs an absolute shit fight team that skates on luck, like the Showtime kick or the Woodley KO of Robbie. That gym is one step up from a McDojo. If CM continues, I hope he goes to a real team like AKA or Winklejohn.

He isn't good enough for them to take him on.

Plus Punk would get destroyed in the sparing sessions at a Winklejohn.

Maybe DC would try and help him at AKA but I'm sure he doesn't want to vouch for somebody like Punk unless maybe Brock asked him to help.

Fitts

So apparently some are actually surprised by Punk's payday. It's not right, but I honestly thought he would make even more (disclosed) than that. No doubt the dude sold PPVs and that's what matters.

I do still think he's one and done, though.

and if gall wins his next 2-3 fights and hits the top 10 or top 5, cm punk's loss will basically mean nothing because he was fighting a top of the division guy

just something to think about while watching gall in the future
Gall's got a much longer way to go to get to that status, not how it works.

he has 2 years of training in a world where 7+ years is considered as a true beginner. he can go to any of the gyms and he would still be man handled by everyone in the UFC.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

I agree but didn't even know Woodley had gone there. Honestly the guy is so talented and such a great athlete that they really don't have to do much -- he's been top-contender level for years. I feel like these camps take dudes on just for the money and exposure sometimes. Like, I haven't really seen any of that patented Jackson Strategy in Overeem, who looked like he was fighting on three concussions strategy-wise the moment that fight started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom