• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UFC 253: Adesanya v Costa

Middleweight champ & still undefeated

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JimiNutz

Banned
Costa was not there with the head tonight, it doens't negate what you say, but the difference in fight style compared to the usual costa was cristal clear, maybe he was trying to bait gnagna to over-commit with his striking but that is not his style at all.

Yeah if his strategy was to bait and counter against Izzy then it was a poor decision on his part.

I thought the fight would be a lot closer but am not sure if that's just because I have a bias against Izzy. I expect Izzy to reign middleweight for a while now.

GymWolf

Yeah if his strategy was to bait and counter against Izzy then it was a poor decision on his part.

I thought the fight would be a lot closer but am not sure if that's just because I have a bias against Izzy. I expect Izzy to reign middleweight for a while now.
Cannonier and whittaker rematch are not easy matches tho, it's not a jon jones vs smith situation here.

JimiNutz

Banned
Cannonier and whittaker rematch are not easy matches tho, it's not a jon jones vs smith situation here.

I'm a big fan of Whittaker. I think Izzy is a bad match up though.

Cannonier I need to watch more of. I don't follow the sport as much as I used to and Cannonier seems to have had quite a quick rise as he wasn't shit when I was watching religiously.

Looking at his record I'm not particularly impressed by the fighters that he's beaten. How does his style compare to Izzy? I'm guessing he's a powerful striker but does he have the footwork and speed to compete or does he grapple?

I want to see someone try to take him down more instead of playing his game

I think a good match up against Izzy is a strong boxer/wrestler.

Izzy won't be able to kick as much against an explosive wrestler that pushes the pace and if that wrestler also posses good hands then I think he could beat Izzy.

We got any young explosive wrestlers with good boxing in the top 10 middleweights currently?

Last edited:

Cunth

Fingerlickin' Good!

Cannonier I need to watch more of. I don't follow the sport as much as I used to and Cannonier seems to have had quite a quick rise as he wasn't shit when I was watching religiously.

Looking at his record I'm not particularly impressed by the fighters that he's beaten. How does his style compare to Izzy? I'm guessing he's a powerful striker but does he have the footwork and speed to compete or does he grapple?

Izzy won't be able to kick as much against an explosive wrestler that pushes the pace and if that wrestler also posses good hands then I think he could beat Izzy.

We got any young explosive wrestlers with good boxing in the top 10 middleweights currently?
romero? oh you said young. and also romero forgot how to wrestle...

GymWolf

shabazian was one of the most promising striker but brunson fucked him.
there is till or chimaev who can wrestle.

I still think that if whittaker doens't lunge, he has a chance too, same for costa if he fight like costa.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
Weidman in his prime would have been a good match up for Izzy.
I don't know why there is such little grappling at middleweight now though.

Adesanya will stay champ until the ufc get bored of him. He hasn't fought a competent wrestler or grappler. He will beat the big swingers as he has decent boxing/kickboxing background and will counter & use distance. Neil Magny can beat him, and Chimaev will give him more to contend with. Cannonier is a hard worker, I thought he could've beat Reyes if not for the early stoppage. He'd challenge Adesanya more imo.

Edit: clarification.

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
Costa didn't even tried to go forward tho.

He actually tried but he ate damage, and Izzy can effortlessly stay out of a plodding fighters range. Costa is tough, good brawler but he’s got the grace and body control of you average puppy. You have to commit to taking damage against a better striker, period.

O-N-E

Higher fight IQ +

image.png

GymWolf

He actually tried but he ate damage, and Izzy can effortlessly stay out of a plodding fighters range. Costa is tough, good brawler but he’s got the grace and body control of you average puppy. You have to commit to taking damage against a better striker, period.
He didn't tried like he usually does, not even remotely, he got dropped by hall and romero and he was still moving forward.

like i said, gnagna is the better striker but costa wasn't there tonight.

even dana said the same thing in the post fight press-conference.

Last edited:
Top Bottom