• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Up] James Gunn fired for racism, jokes about rape and pedophilia

DryvBy

EDIT: Sadly, Disney DID fire James Gunn. I'm totally shocked honestly.

Here's a few that he's now deleted:

Tweet5.png

Tweet10.png

Tweet2.png

Some more fun Tweets:
http://archive.is/4zTS1

Articles:
https://www.thewrap.com/james-gunn-apologizes-offensive-old-tweets-rape-pedophilia/
http://dailycaller.com/2018/07/19/disney-filmmaker-conservative-tweets/?utm_medium=email

How does NeoGAF feel about these jokes? And if you're okay with these jokes, are you okay with Roseanne's jokes? This topic is about James Gunn, the hypocrisy of outcries, and Disney's response, with a touch of freedom of speech. Please stay on topic.

Last edited:

Panda1

Banned
just jokes and actually coming from him makes it f******absolutely hilarious:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: if anyone takes it literally they are completely retarded

Last edited:
They are all really shitty jokes and the tweets all have timestamps almost a decade old. Why are we making a thread about 10 year old tweets?

DryvBy

They are all really shitty jokes and the tweets all have timestamps almost a decade old. Why are we making a thread about 10 year old tweets?

Because it's recent news? And because this is also about double standards. Was it okay to say this stuff 10 years ago and just now became unacceptable?

Because it's recent news? And because this is also about double standards. Was it okay to say this stuff 10 years ago and just now became unacceptable?

Sorry, I didn't mean to call you out like that, it was more of a rhetorical question. I hate the fact that "news" these days are ten year old tweets. I just wish I could fast forward past the "social justice" phase of society because whatever comes next HAS to be better, right?!

HoodWinked

if someone is going through these tweets individually maybe it would be commendable from just an effort point of view, but they're just using the api and querying specific keywords which is in itself racist.

dream

I just genuinely want to see how this plays out. Who wins when wokeness is pitted against Marvel movies?

Basoes

I thought the difference was that Roseanne wasn't joking when she said her racist shit and then she tried to blame it on her medication

Last edited:

Airola

Maybe it was not ok then, but I think it's stupid to hold people accountable on things they said 10 years ago, especially when they are just jokes and not death threats or anything more serious than that.

Besides, just because something feels it's not ok, it still doesn't mean it's unacceptable. There are people who think swearing is not ok, but it doesn't make curse words evil or unacceptable.

EDIT:
And no, just because they were harsh to Roseanne doesn't mean they have to be harsh for every other person too. It's just good if they stop their overreactions to what people say on Twitter.

Last edited:

guggnichso

Banned
ABC (owned by Disney) fired Roseanne over a racist tweet even after her apology. How will they respond to James Gunn (Marvel director and producer) and his several racist and offensive jokes?

Here's a few that he's now deleted:

Tweet5.png

Tweet10.png

Tweet2.png

Some more fun Tweets:
http://archive.is/4zTS1

Articles:
https://www.thewrap.com/james-gunn-apologizes-offensive-old-tweets-rape-pedophilia/
http://dailycaller.com/2018/07/19/disney-filmmaker-conservative-tweets/?utm_medium=email

How does NeoGAF feel about these jokes? And if you're okay with these jokes, are you okay with Roseanne's jokes? This topic is about James Gunn, the hypocrisy of outcries, and Disney's response, with a touch of freedom of speech. Please stay on topic.

Those are a bunch of ten year old edgy jokes. Roseanne spouted racist shit to a specific person that was not in anyway identifiable as a joke a few weeks ago.

This is the very obvious difference, and of course you know that.

This shit is just the recent twitter campaign by Cernovich the_donald and and their bunch of lame douchebags because they‘re butthurt that Gunn criticized their sad excuse for a president.

Last edited:

DryvBy

Maybe it was not ok then, but I think it's stupid to hold people accountable on things they said 10 years ago, especially when they are just jokes and not death threats or anything more serious than that.

Besides, just because something feels it's not ok, it still doesn't mean it's unacceptable. There are people who think swearing is not ok, but it doesn't make curse words evil or unacceptable.

I'm NOT for firing anyone for stupid things they say and I wasn't okay for mobs dog-piling on Roseanne either. I'm also not okay with any form of racism. I just believe markets hold people accountable and in a true free market, that's what should happen. I think everyone has said stupid things in the past. I know I have.

But this is a good example to also point out the ridiculous hypocrisy of mob mentalities too. These typical drum beaters like Marvel movies and Gunn does a great job with Guardians (something I expected to suck when I went to see it). So I don't see anything done to him. Yet Roseanne's Twitter history was used as for the mob. They really don't have a real moral goal; they just like to destroy people that don't lean their way political. A completely stupid thing for any political system to to try and ruin lives of someone you disagree with, no matter how stupid or insensitive those people are.

TL;DR - If you're defending Gunn and trashed Roseanne, just know there's a word for that.

Imagine being such a miserable shit of a person you go through some celebrity tweets for the last 10 years looking for dirt.

Having said that, if I were a celebrity I would clean the fuck out of my social media history from before I was famous or in the very least check to make sure I dont have any black humor in there that could get me in trouble with the moral police.

fantomena

I hope you all realize that there's no doubt that Disney and Marvel knows about all this stuff.

Also, who even has the time to go through 10 years of Tweet just to look for dirt?

Last edited:
They're ten year old tweets that he's already apologized for. I don't think you can fairly compare them to Roseannes recent racist meltdown. Roseanne was tweeting crazy shit for a long time with no signs of stopping.

Airola

I'm NOT for firing anyone for stupid things they say and I wasn't okay for mobs dog-piling on Roseanne either. I'm also not okay with any form of racism. I just believe markets hold people accountable and in a true free market, that's what should happen. I think everyone has said stupid things in the past. I know I have.

But this is a good example to also point out the ridiculous hypocrisy of mob mentalities too. These typical drum beaters like Marvel movies and Gunn does a great job with Guardians (something I expected to suck when I went to see it). So I don't see anything done to him. Yet Roseanne's Twitter history was used as for the mob. They really don't have a real moral goal; they just like to destroy people that don't lean their way political. A completely stupid thing for any political system to to try and ruin lives of someone you disagree with, no matter how stupid or insensitive those people are.

TL;DR - If you're defending Gunn and trashed Roseanne, just know there's a word for that.

I made an edit to the post before I saw this reply.
I said this:
And no, just because they were harsh to Roseanne doesn't mean they have to be harsh for every other person too. It's just good if they stop their overreactions to what people say on Twitter.

If we want to stop overreactions to tweets to happen, we can't go on and basically require them to continue to do that when someone we might not like tweets something.

I didn't want to see Roseanne being treated like that and I don't want to see Gunn being treated like that. It's like a reverse witch hunt if we demand them to act on this. I know the point of the original post is more to call out how they treated Roseanne but don't probably treat Gunn that way at all, but in the end reactions like this will probably end up ABC to be too harsh on Gunn too. They will probably just double down on their policies regarding to offensive speech on Twitter and that is not a good thing.

Fox Mulder

just seems like lame edgelord shit, and nearly a decade old. Pretty pathetic dirt digging.

I thought people were supposed to be against personal tweet persecution this week.

Last edited:

Spheyr

Banned
Those are a bunch of ten year old edgy jokes. Roseanne spouted racist shit to a specific person that was not in anyway identifiable as a joke a few weeks ago.

This is the very obvious difference, and of course you know that.

This shit is just the recent twitter campaign by Cernovich the_donald and and their bunch of lame douchebags because they‘re butthurt that Gunn criticized their sad excuse for a president.
Great, we can stop bringing up "grab her by the pussy" since that was 13 years ago and an edgy joke said in private.

BibiMaghoo

If I read those tweets in Jimmy Carr's voice, no problem is detected. Harsh jokes are fine if meant to be funny and not hateful, this guy just needed to be better at them.

Gander

Banned
I know it's all after the fact but I knew it was something about this guy I didn't like.

The good news is Guardians of the Galaxy gets a new director.

DKehoe

ABC (owned by Disney) fired Roseanne over a racist tweet even after her apology. How will they respond to James Gunn (Marvel director and producer) and his several racist and offensive jokes?

I guess now we know. They reacted in the same way.

mr2xxx

Banned
Roseanne was fired for a recent tweet not from something 8 years ago, big difference. Roseanne was given a chance despite her past tweets while Gunn wasn’t as fortunate.

Gunn will land on his feet soon anyways, too much talent to blacklist over offensive tweets. Wouldn’t be surprised if he starts working for DC soon. Also not too surprised Disney went this route since they need to have that sterling image associated with the Disney name.

this has the chance of ruining the next movie! the third movie curse strikes again!

Really this is bad and shame Disney for firing him over something he said in the past

Gander

Banned
Here is why there should be no sympathy for him TWEETS ARE ABLE TO BE DELETED. If you have a job that is going to pay you millions and put you in the lime light you take the time to delete your teenage angst tweets.

shira

Here is why there should be no sympathy for him TWEETS ARE ABLE TO BE DELETED. If you have a job that is going to pay you millions and put you in the lime light you take the time to delete your teenage angst tweets.
Can't really delete anything on the internet.

Top Bottom