• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Up] James Gunn fired for racism, jokes about rape and pedophilia

Da-Kid

This stuff was almost more than 10 years. A lot of people grew from then. With LGBT becoming more accpected, understood, and normalized, as well as more equality and understand between minorities.

Give the guy a break. This was when social media was just being born, everyone was an edge Lord, shit spewing asshole touting "the interwebz is anonymous" then. Doesn't mean it reflects his outlook or opinions now, which it clearly doesn't. The guy grew a lot since those tweets if you compare them to now.

Petrae

Social media claims another victim. Man. People never learn-- and it doesn't matter how long ago or how young you were when you decided to post. That shit stays with you. FOREVER. All it takes is a person with time on their hands to find those posts... and POOF. You're hosed.

Social media is not like writing in a diary. It's posting on a very public service where potentially millions of people can read or see what you've shared. You may think you're funny or clever, but as more people read what you share online... you're inevitably going to run into someone who doesn't like it, and they just might out it in the future.

Seriously: The only winning move on social media is not to post.

DryvBy

Roseanne was fired for a recent tweet not from something 8 years ago, big difference. Roseanne was given a chance despite her past tweets while Gunn wasn’t as fortunate.

Gunn will land on his feet soon anyways, too much talent to blacklist over offensive tweets. Wouldn’t be surprised if he starts working for DC soon. Also not too surprised Disney went this route since they need to have that sterling image associated with the Disney name.

I just updated this OP. I had no idea he actually got fired already. Freakin' stupid choices, Disney.

He was fired from Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3. Hahahahahaha! Wow. Some people really dislike success. Don't they?

All you have to do to succeed is shut the fuck up and stay off Twitter. Easy recipe to follow.

Now that the news story has emerged that he has been fired, I read some of those tweets.

Cringe.

What passes as "jokes" to some people...yeah, I wouldn't want anything to do with them, either.

Dabaus

Banned
For all the people saying “what’s the big deal? He apologized!” Did you feel that way about Roseanne or nah?

Edit

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Theatrics?

You could try going to the original source. The Polygon piece isn't wrong.

The theatrics are, "It is only wrong when the side of the political spectrum I do not subscribe to, does it."

I do not see Polygon writing these think pieces for people getting fired due to "Team Left" having the same social media outrage.

For all the people saying “what’s the big deal? He apologized!” Did you feel that way about Roseanne or nah? Also I had to check at snowflake era to see what the group think and fascists had to say, and to no ones surprise, they support James gunn.

I rest my case, lol.

Dude made jokes about raping women in the ass while they slept, and sexual assault on children. Shocked they are okay with it, shocked I tell you.

Just like all the excuses they made for Trudeau and threw the "trust the female victim first" slogan out the window in that regards.

Shows that it is more about rooting for your "team" than actually caring about those who are victims. Miss me with that shit.

Last edited:

Corrik

Sorry. Mods please merge this to the other thread. I should have searched or used my eyes before posting this.

Corrik

I think the firing is completely outrageous. When have we lost our senses of humors as Americans??? Not everything has to be politically correct. Hell, every single stand up comedian would be fired if this was applied at all times and comedy would be basically non-existent anymore.

I think the firing is completely outrageous. When have we lost our senses of humors as Americans??? Not everything has to be politically correct. Hell, every single stand up comedian would be fired if this was applied at all times and comedy would be basically non-existent anymore.

It is Disney to be fair. Jokes about being a pedo really aren't a good fit for the companies image.

Fox Mulder

Can't complain only when it's your team getting fucked. I'm surprised something like the Man Show hasn't destroyed Kimmel yet.

Just baffling that he left these up working for Disney. You'd think they would have a team like the MIB to wipe social media accounts of anything controversial.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
This is pretty fucked up. Jokes made a decade ago vs being a racist now, the Roseanne comparisons don't really hold up IMO.

The culture wars are fucking pathetic right now, that's for sure.

TTOOLL

Screwing the guy over 3 tweets from years ago. "Congratulations" if you think this is remotely ok.

Edit: I'm so pissed with this shit... imagine the guy himself. This is not fucking fair. Fuck Disney

Last edited:
So this Mike Cernovich brought up Gunn's tweet before Comic Con because he knew that the left would be up in arms which would likely lead Disney to fire him.

iconmaster

Banned
Holy crap, fired for ten-year old tweets.

If you have any celebrity at all, Twitter history is a major professional liability.

You should be allowed to make jokes, even if low rent edgy ones, especially if you work in film and b-movies. (Gunn is a Troma kid.) Disney is another matter, but these we were before Disney deal.

However, this is the end game of the left's outrage mob. I get the feeling this is due to Gunn defending Riah Johnnson's attack on fans, so the base looked through Gunn's history and sent a warning shot.

Last edited:
The theatrics are, "It is only wrong when the side of the political spectrum I do not subscribe to, does it."

I do not see Polygon writing these think pieces for people getting fired due to "Team Left" having the same social media outrage.

Isn't that what that article is? Gunn is "team left."

Can't complain only when it's your team getting fucked. I'm surprised something like the Man Show hasn't destroyed Kimmel yet.

Just baffling that he left these up working for Disney. You'd think they would have a team like the MIB to wipe social media accounts of anything controversial.

The Man Show was awesome. I will fight people in the streets over it.

BANGS

Banned
Jokes made a decade ago vs being a racist now, the Roseanne comparisons don't really hold up IMO.
Roseanne's racist tweet was also a joke though... and Gunn's jokes were racist... so I fail to see the difference. You can't applaud one and detest the other unless you're being very biased...

Last edited:

iamblades

Wasn't everyone aware that James Gunn has a dark fucked up sense of humor? That's like the defining feature of his career.

Are we to the point where it is literally impossible to be employed if you aren't a bland milquetoast automaton with absolutely nothing interesting to say?

Petrae

They are freaking jokes. He did nothing to think those tweets were in serious nature.

Gilbert Gottfried poked fun at Japan on Twitter after the earthquake and tsunami in 2011. He meant no harm by it-- just doing what he does-- but Aflac didn't see it that way and fired him within an hour of the tweets being made. http://edition.cnn.com/2011/BUSINESS/03/14/georgia.aflac.duck/index.html

This is a slightly different case, since the offending tweets were dug up from years ago here, but the fact remains-- humor isn't always accepted as an excuse by an employer; if there's reason to think that tweets can damage the company's reputation, even by association, the employee making the tweets can be fired.

TrainedRage

Banned
Wasn't he the guy who worked on Lollypop-Chainsaw and LocoCycle? People are surprised by him tweeting 'insensitive jokes'?

All the SJW heroes are falling... #whosnext to be outraged over?

Corrik

They look bad when they are all put there together, but those are also over years with who knows how many other jokes in between them.

It seems like a really dumb response to a guy who is known for humor.

Top Bottom