• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Up] James Gunn fired for racism, jokes about rape and pedophilia

Hollywood crumbles...

They mocked and ridiculed and raged against these exact behaviors, but they're the guiltiest of all. They set the rule of "guilty by accusation alone" and now more and more of their ilk are getting destroyed because of it.

Good riddance.

Panda1

Banned
Roseanne was fired for a recent tweet not from something 8 years ago, big difference. Roseanne was given a chance despite her past tweets while Gunn wasn’t as fortunate.

Gunn will land on his feet soon anyways, too much talent to blacklist over offensive tweets. Wouldn’t be surprised if he starts working for DC soon. Also not too surprised Disney went this route since they need to have that sterling image associated with the Disney name.

In 2005 was the leaked tape of Trump saying women would let him grab them by the pussy. This is brought up daily. I think this is why everyone on the right is laughing the left have set stupid standards. Plus this guy is not a comedian he was a writer so what is his excuse - those ae blatant straight up racist jokes. No ifs or buts. He has no history of satire or comedy like say Ricky Gervais or Chappelle - those tweets mean he cant work for Disney full stop, plus he is racist piece of shit.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Roseanne's racist tweet was also a joke though... and Gunn's jokes were racist... so I fail to see the difference. You can't applaud one and detest the other unless you're being very biased...

The difference is that Roseanne defended her tweets by saying they were a joke but it's just as possible that's an after the fact rationalisation, they can just as easily be read as a racist jab. The partisan politicisation adds to the reactions against it. This versus Gunn's hyperbolic scatalogical machine gunning of awfulness - you don't read this and think "yeah maybe he is a violent child rapist"

BANGS

Banned
The difference is that Roseanne defended her tweets by saying they were a joke but it's just as possible that's an after the fact rationalisation
It was an obvious joke tho... It's not like she said "fuck mexicans" and then later said "lol jk"... she made an obvious joke right from the start...

Gander

Banned
On a serious note, I've said before being an asshole has consequences and if we want our society to improve, we need to make sure it always does.

The country is being torn apart right now because their is an asshole in power we can't properly check and it's driving people to desperation in some cases.

mr2xxx

Banned
In 2005 was the leaked tape of Trump saying women would let him grab them by the pussy. This is brought up daily. I think this is why everyone on the right is laughing the left have set stupid standards. Plus this guy is not a comedian he was a writer so what is his excuse - those ae blatant straight up racist jokes. No ifs or buts. He has no history of satire or comedy like say Ricky Gervais or Chappelle - those tweets mean he cant work for Disney full stop, plus he is racist piece of shit.

Did you respond to the right person? Your response and mine don’t seem to be connected in any way.

On a serious note, I've said before being an asshole has consequences and if we want our society to improve, we need to make sure it always does.

The country is being torn apart right now because their is an asshole in power we can't properly check and it's driving people to desperation in some cases.

The outrage mob tactics predate Trump and only help Trump out.

This is a tactic of the left and an issue with the left acting like it doesn't need to instill limits.

pramod

Banned
Interesting to see people on that other place defend this guy. "It's only a joke" they say. What happened to their zero-tolerance policy?
So why was this ok and not Roseanne's tweet?

Oh wait, I forgot she was a Trump supporter.

I guess that makes her worse than someone who makes fun of rape and pedophilia.

Gander

Banned
having a society thats scared to say anything isnt the way to improve anything

There is common sense. There is a difference between speaking your mind about the day's politics and calling someone's grandmother whore to their face.

If you have common sense then you know what one is acceptable.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Interesting to see people on that other place defend this guy. "It's only a joke" they say. What happened to their zero-tolerance policy?
So why was this ok and not Roseanne's tweet?

Oh wait, I forgot she was a Trump supporter.

I guess that makes her worse than someone who makes fun of rape and pedophilia.

It is all false altruism, and mainly about which team they subscribe to, really.

Have you seen this from his blog: http://archive.is/MdOm6

Apparently that video was sent to him by a convicted pedophile. Look at his reaction. This is impossible for them to handwave.
Holy FUCK!!!

Nah fam, this dude has fucking issues. Wow!
What was on the actual video? Was it really some pedo shit?

This is missing a ton of context. A guy hacked his accounts and posted a video, which was a joke. The video post on the blog is this:

Without the video it looks way worse. A lot of these things are taken out of context, but people don't care. He worked for Troma, this was normal and part of their disruption of media image.

Corrik

I am kind of annoyed that Conservatives were the ones to report this to get him fired. I don't like that pettiness from my party.

kunonabi

Sucks for Guardians 3 but this is just how things are now. I'm not at all surprised that Disney gave him the boot for this. Disney has been putting so much liberal politics into their films that they really couldn't let this side if they don't want to come off as total hypocrites.

MDSLKTR

Not a good look for the future of Disney at all.
It is all false altruism, and mainly about which team they subscribe to, really.
The migration took all the marvel fanboys with them. Now imagine the celebration if this happened to Zack Snyder lmao

Good. I know Disney fired him just for PR, not from the goodness of their heart Nevertheless no piece of shit should be able to hide behind the "just a joke" excuse in social media.

Yeah I realise that. My point is that it looks so bad Disney aren't going to stick their neck out to defend it.

Eh Disney is a weird corporation. They will hand wave the stuff with Johnny Depp and John Lasseter. Gunn only made crass jokes. They are a company, it is their right to not employ someone who does not fit their PR image, but that is all it is just an image. They do terrible stuff. It is strange they caved on this of all things though, as it is not recent. Not that this will effect Disney in anyway, they can hire plenty of directors and I doubt they care much about the lives of who they employ.

Helios

This is not true. He did not post CP videos. Please don't spread falsehoods.
https://archive.fo/MdOm6
Dij1Eb3W0AEwfam.jpg

Upper right tweet.

BPoole

I read a collection of his questionable tweets and only a few of them raised an eyebrow. I did not see anything worthy of being fired over. But then again we have the ultra PC, humorless social media lynch mobs that will stop at nothing to ruin someone's life who has committed wrongthink

Probably pretext for another reason Gunn was canned. I imagine some execs didn't expect Guardians to be so huge and if Gunn was wanting a larger role in Marvel then I can see some execs feeling threatened.

Disney could have ignored any controversy being brought up on twitter and people would have brushed it off. The only reason this is gaining any notoriety in the first place is because he was fired.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Over 152K tweets, number one on Twitter today, yet it is no where to be found in the 'Moments' for 'Today', 'News', or 'Entertainment'.

Funny how Twitter works sometimes.

TTOOLL

wow, dude's pretty sick

some even sicker executive from Disney decided to fire him. That's what bothers me the most, everyone has said/done something reprovable in life, what right do we have to judge words from years ago and punish the guy now?

Last edited:
Holy crap, fired for ten-year old tweets.

If you have any celebrity at all, Twitter history is a major professional liability.

It's a liability only if you've ever been of...low standards.

Good. I know Disney fired him just for PR, not from the goodness of their heart Nevertheless no piece of **** should be able to hide behind the "just a joke" excuse in social media.

"It was just a joke" is never a valid excuse. I concur.

Top Bottom