• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Update on Final Fantasy Versus XIII Development

StuBurns

Banned
Dunan said:
Speaking as a longtime Tokyo resident, there isn't; place names generally aren't like that. (A close one, maybe, would be the lake in Ueno called 'Shinobazu', which means 'unendurable'; no idea how it got that name.)
Cool, thanks.
Dunan said:
SE has painted themselves into a corner a bit with their latest numbered entry (XIV) being a total flop and their offshoot sub-numbered entry (XIII-2) looking like a superior game to both its predecessor and the numbered entry after it.

Maybe they could give Versus its own name, make that the main title, and put "Final Fantasy XV" after it, Dissidia-style.
The reason I think it should be called XV, isn't just the natural benefit of attention a mainline entry will get, the name Versus XIII is terrible in of itself. Versus implies a fighting game. We get people on GAF all the time who don't know if it's a fighting game, if it relates to XIII etc. The current name is misleading in it's genre, and relates it to XIII, which a lot of people didn't care for.

Anything other than Versus XIII would be better, but nothing would be as good as XV.

Even some of the guys in the media seemed to be pumped for it, which I was very surprised about. Jeff from GiantBomb was talking about it just yesterday on their podcast.

92YU7.jpg

Who can blame him? So good.

What are the chances of a multiplat release on Wii U, or are we really looking at 8+ year life cycle for PS3? With every Versus news I totally expect someone necro bumping some really old shit, reaaaally old.

dramatis

BlueWord said:
There was also a USA-styled filling station in one of the older screens. Hopefully they tackle NYC.
Clearly, what Versus needs to sell is a post-apocalyptic NYC, under attack still (somehow).

Takuya said:
I believe that, like Agito/Type-0, Versus XIII will be renamed.
EDIT I didn't read "like" for some reason.
But it's true that with XIII-2 and Agito becoming Type-0 the Versus XIII name doesn't hold much value.

duckroll

StuBurns said:
Have you ever seen Kingdom Hearts: Deep Dive?

Versus XIII is the real KH2.

Or Deep Dive is the real proto-VersusXIII. I honestly hate the entire OrgXIII and World That Never Was part of KH in general. Hopefully with Versus Nomura can focus these ideas into a game where they actually fit in without being stupid. :p

walking fiend said:
What are the chances of a multiplat release on Wii U, or are we really looking at 8+ year life cycle for PS3? With every Versus news I totally expect someone necro bumping some really old shit, reaaaally old.

Considering its dev cycle on ps3, I think it is almost impossible to predict where and the title is ultimately going to land... I reckon this one might stay ps3 only, and if it is released on another platform it will be 360. Wii U is about as likely as PC

StuBurns said:
Any concern SE had about the integrity of the mainline series being compromised by Versus is redundant.

I on the other hand think that it's the opposite - office politics made S-E split this into FFXIII and VersusXIII to avoid constant comparisons between the two. My guess is a lot of people that worked on FFXIII (Kitase, say hi!) would be pissed if Versus became FFXV. Its most likely success (from what it looks like) will probably catapult Nomura to 2nd-in-charge to Wada. Way above Kitase and others.

Never underestimate Japanese tendency (or just general corporate culture) to backstab someone.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I'm actually curious to see what T.Nomura will do after this if it turns out to be really successful. Will Square Enix ask him to handle a side-series to work on from now on? They will ask him to take the lead of the main series instead? Or simply Versus will be an exception with no successors (in concept, of course I'm not speaking of a Versus 2 :p)?

I think they should drop the XIII from the name .
Just call it FF Versus if does good you can make it it's own spin off series.
If i remember right that's why they rename Agito .

Perfo said:
I'm actually curious to see what T.Nomura will do after this if it turns out to be really successful. Will Square Enix ask him to handle a side-series to work on from now on? They will ask him to take the lead of the main series instead? Or simply Versus will be an exception with no successors (in concept, of course I'm not speaking of a Versus 2 :p)?
Nomura once said Versus XIII would be the last numbered FF game he works on as director. But that was years ago and he could change his mind I guess, and producers aren't directors too.

StuBurns

Banned
duckroll said:
Or Deep Dive is the real proto-VersusXIII. I honestly hate the entire OrgXIII and World That Never Was part of KH in general. Hopefully with Versus Nomura can focus these ideas into a game where they actually fit in without being stupid. :p
Quite possible. Not to dip back into the 'how long' for Versus, that video is at least an indication of the direction he wanted to go. Maybe it was always more to his personal taste.
Castor Krieg said:
I on the other hand think that it's the opposite - office politics made S-E split this into FFXIII and VersusXIII to avoid constant comparisons between the two. My guess is a lot of people that worked on FFXIII (Kitase, say hi!) would be pissed if Versus became FFXV. Its most likely success (from what it looks like) will probably catapult Nomura to 2nd-in-charge to Wada. Way above Kitase and others.

Never underestimate Japanese tendency (or just general corporate culture) to backstab someone.
I think SE specifically put the two games together for people to compare. They're both called FFXIII, one is white, one is black, they both have promo shots of their protagonists on chairs in rooms reflecting the difference in tone, they were announced on the same day for the same platform, Nomura has made some pretty bitchy comments about Final Fantasy having gone in a direction he didn't care for. Even the title, versus, in opposition to. The games were meant to seen as two stabs at the next real entry I think. They just didn't expect FFXIII to be so poorly received, and for whatever reason, presumably Versus was meant to ship between XIII and XIII-2.

One thing that works against it being XV though, is I believe Nomura said he didn't intend to direct another Final Fantasy after this one. If this is really going to be a single aside for the series, giving it such prominence might not be wise.

Ultimately SE will do whatever the public demand. If Versus blows up, sells great and is reviewed very strongly, there won't be another tube RPG with a mainline number.

RaijinFY

gundamkyoukai said:
I think they should drop the XIII from the name .
Just call it FF Versus if does good you can make it it's own spin off series.
If i remember right that's why they rename Agito .

I'm calling it Versus already. I think it comes naturally.

hteng

Banned
Eccocid said:
Whoa i swear if you remove the hud and change the character it looks like a screenshot from FF XIV!! Maybe they are using FF XIV engine! :p

oh god, please don't remind me of FFXIV, goddam copy paste terrains

Eccocid said:
Whoa i swear if you remove the hud and change the character it looks like a screenshot from FF XIV!! Maybe they are using FF XIV engine! :p
Not maybe... FFXIV uses Crystal Tools just like FFvXIII.

FFXIV looks good. It's just that its fields are just incredibly empty and monotonous.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
LiquidMetal14 said:
Terrible that we need these kinds of "updates".

I'm anticipating this a lot but come on now.

It's being held back as to not overshadow XIII-2, which it would most certainly do.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
DiipuSurotu said:
Andriasang's quote in the first post makes it sound like Versus is using a specific engine now.
I think Crystal Tools is heavily rewritten every time it's used. Unlike Luminous, it's not really an 'engine'.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Krev said:
I think Crystal Tools is heavily rewritten every time it's used. Unlike Luminous, it's not really an 'engine'.
For the most part it is just their tool chain plugged into a custom engine, which is why every game takes the greater part of forever to make.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Can't disagree with you there (Kagari). It would be nice to get some regular updates with some kind of media that is more significant though :p

duckroll

Krev said:

Yeah, I think they approached it a bit too much as a general tool set, because it was being developed along with various other on-going projects (FFXIII, VsXIII, FFXIV), and they were each evolving along with the actual development of the "engine" itself. Really terrible management.

At least the VsXIII "engine" is not going to be reused for anything ever. Nomura says that it is highly specialized for action style games, and it is very good at the moment for the specific things they are doing, but not something which can be adapted generally for something else.

Londa

Banned
oh, I thought it was going to be Nomura telling us that they just started added text into the game.

What a relief

johntown

Banned
All I want is a release date for this game. I have been eagerly waiting years for this. Give us some videos and more info on tha game.

duckroll said:
Yeah, I think they approached it a bit too much as a general tool set, because it was being developed along with various other on-going projects (FFXIII, VsXIII, FFXIV), and they were each evolving along with the actual development of the "engine" itself. Really terrible management.

At least the VsXIII "engine" is not going to be reused for anything ever. Nomura says that it is highly specialized for action style games, and it is very good at the moment for the specific things they are doing, but not something which can be adapted generally for something else.
don't forget Kingdom Hearts 3, lololol

(._.)

Banned
I see this coming out probably during the last year of this gen hopefully. We still have a couple more years to go.

manueldelalas said:
This image gives me Xenoblades vibes (scenery, monsters down there, etc), but I'm not getting my hopes up until they redesign the really awful characters... wtf were they thinking?
I like the characters! They look like fun.

StuBurns

Banned
manueldelalas said:
This image gives me Xenoblades vibes (scenery, monsters down there, etc), but I'm not getting my hopes up until they redesign the really awful characters... wtf were they thinking?
The Xenoblade characters are repugnant trash.

manueldelalas said:
Look a hell of lot less ridiculous than other jrpg characters, especially xenoblade.

Top Bottom