• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles Remaster |OT| One more time: You can do this. Trust in yourself!

Nyoro SF

So for the platinum trophy you need to get an A rank in all story mission ? Easier to do on NG+ or I should grab them all on my first play through ?

It's definitely a trophy that you should finish off in NG+.

When I finished my first playthrough I had around 50% A Ranks and an assortment of B, C, and D ranks... lol. If you try to constantly reload and retry for A Ranks on your first run you're going to burn yourself out.

T'was the point!

Can you not replay the missions without going through NG+?

You cannot. Only in NG+ can you replay missions.
You need to do NG+ to get all the trophies anyway (and doing NG+ is fast) so if you're a trophy hunter it's all part of the plan.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Just made it into chapter 4. Mostly using remote play, looks and plays great on the Vita. I had the PC version for ages but sometimes Vita remote play is the best chance I get to actually play stuff. It's been great so far, the art style really holds up well.

I'm looking at this to buy, and I have a few questions.

The only JRPG I've played is Persona, and I don't play strategy. But I do like JRPG's with more interesting and different ideas and landscapes. Would someone like me enjoy Valkyria Chronicles?

Saphirax

It's definitely a trophy that you should finish off in NG+.

When I finished my first playthrough I had around 50% A Ranks and an assortment of B, C, and D ranks... lol. If you try to constantly reload and retry for A Ranks on your first run you're going to burn yourself out.

You cannot. Only in NG+ can you replay missions.
You need to do NG+ to get all the trophies anyway (and doing NG+ is fast) so if you're a trophy hunter it's all part of the plan.

story missions can't be replayed until NG+, skirmishes can be replayed.

Ah, I see. Thanks!

Not sure if I'll go for the plat yet, but it's good to know that it goes fast in NG+.

Impulsor

I'm looking at this to buy, and I have a few questions.

The only JRPG I've played is Persona, and I don't play strategy. But I do like JRPG's with more interesting and different ideas and landscapes. Would someone like me enjoy Valkyria Chronicles?

This isn't really a JRPG. It's a tactical/Strategy turn based RPG where you control your characters in third person.

Think a third person Fire emblem based on WWII, kinda.

Just made it into chapter 4. Mostly using remote play, looks and plays great on the Vita. I had the PC version for ages but sometimes Vita remote play is the best chance I get to actually play stuff. It's been great so far, the art style really holds up well.

Y'know, I've actually heard quite a few whispers on the internets that VCR may have originally been intended as a Vita port, but switched to PS4 due to a mixture of strong advice against it from Sega of America (Pertaining to the IP's history on portables in the west), technical difficulties with the Vita hardware (See Borderlands 2, Trails of Azure, I am Setsuna), and Media Vision producing a demo of Azure Revolution that they realized they could pack in.

Regarding a VC3 remaster... It'll have to be an effort from Sega of Japan if it's anything more than a straight port. I'd imagine Sega Europe, America would love to on their own, but Sega of Japan's development talent has a serious history of getting butthurt whenever SoAmerica does anything with 'their' work without their express written permission. RIP Sonic Xtreme.

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
Y'know, I've actually heard quite a few whispers on the internets that VCR may have originally been intended as a Vita port, but switched to PS4 due to a mixture of strong advice against it from Sega of America (Pertaining to the IP's history on portables in the west), technical difficulties with the Vita hardware (See Borderlands 2, Trails of Azure, I am Setsuna), and Media Vision producing a demo of Azure Revolution that they realized they could pack in.

Regarding a VC3 remaster... It'll have to be an effort from Sega of Japan if it's anything more than a straight port. I'd imagine Sega Europe, America would love to on their own, but Sega of Japan's development talent has a serious history of getting butthurt whenever SoAmerica does anything with 'their' work without their express written permission. RIP Sonic Xtreme.

PS4 release was the right way to go at this point. A Vita version might have been interesting early in the Vita's life though. The art holds up so nicely at 1080p I'm glad it was a home console release rather than portable, even if I end up mostly using remote play anyway.

Not to be too much of a snob, but I wish this were a true Steelbook rather than a MetalPak case. The spines and build quality on Steelbook cases is that much better, but the design of this thing is truly slick.

Ponn

Banned

I was doing Vita remote play last night. Yea t does work great playing that way. My only gripe is it is really really hard to see the small land mines when doing remote play.

PS4 release was the right way to go at this point. A Vita version might have been interesting early in the Vita's life though. The art holds up so nicely at 1080p I'm glad it was a home console release rather than portable, even if I end up mostly using remote play anyway.

Nah, NIL chance it would hold up on Vita. Every single non-indie (and some Indies) downport to Vita from PS3 and PS4 has been a butchered disaster full of extreme compromises to even achieve being 'passable'. There's a reason I am Setsuna, Nights of Azure, and others have had their Vita versions not be localized in favor of being PS4 only or even having a PC port made for the west in the place of the Vita version.

VC1 ported to Vita would have been a train wreck. No doubt about it.

Baalzebup

Alright, as long as they kept it to a minimum, I'm fine with it.

The cast as a whole, including your squad members, do run pretty much the whole gamut of anime character tropes, but they don't embody them. Welkin is a nature-weirdo, but he is not defined only by being a nature weirdo. The same goes with the rest of the cast.

As I've said before in this tread, there are a few decidedly *anime* moments to it, but the game does not live and breathe that stuff. Mostly, it is a story of a small country swept up in a war, including the good and the bad. The side episodes have a higher concentration of weirdness and comedy, but a few of them are also very down to earth, even somber.

Jennipeg

So for the platinum trophy you need to get an A rank in all story mission ? Easier to do on NG+ or I should grab them all on my first play through ?

If you actually manage that I will be super impressed. It was a miracle that I ever beat it, terrible ranks and all. I'm debating whether to go for the UC4 platinum or dive into this.... I think I'll play this, then go back to uncharted.

Bastables

Alright. What about story? Is there any sort of anime tropes, or at least a lack of them?
Depends on who you are. In a recent axe of the blood God pod cast Kat mentions how animiey VC is because of female soldiers wearing skirts, which is telling as most squad 7 members wear there-quarter shorts. Unremarked is the normality of VC anime world in having female solders, lesbian and gay charecters (Jann, and Dallas) and the most powerful individual fighter being girls/Valkyrie. It deals with tension with regulars/part timer troops, genocidle racial animus vs a minority.

What's anime beach sequences? I certainly remember in theatre leave at a beach when I was in the NZ army and even a posting to patrol a beach area which was just a nod nod wink wink 48hr r&r.

If you find Japanese cultural shorthands confronting, yeah it might seem"anime", like any "txt" the reader brings themselves into the interpretation.

Corpekata

Banned
Hardly the most outrageous thing in the game. (Unfortunately.)

Darcsens were originally supposed to be catgirls, actually.

I'd say it is, actually. One of the more glaringly stupid things in the game given how random the appearance is. It felt like an obligatory checkmark. Gotta have a stupid mascot creature. Thankfully it's not around much.

And thank god they dodged that catgirl bullet if true.

Baalzebup

Hardly the most outrageous thing in the game. (Unfortunately.)
You make it sound like you consider plenty of the game content to be outrageous, which is kinda weird. The percentage is pretty low, overall. They really don't linger on the silly tropes all that much.
I'd say it is, actually. One of the more glaringly stupid things in the game given how random the appearance is. It felt like an obligatory checkmark. Gotta have a stupid mascot creature. Thankfully it's not around much.

Eh, the catgirl design was from pre-production era, back when the project was under the old name of Gallian Panzers. Honestly, the one drawing of the Bastian (the name of the race of the cat people) version of the person who became Isara later on, is not half bad.

If were going to be digging those graves, the same material also includes stuff like a huge-ass steam-punk Imperial mech. Huge enough to crush a tank underfoot with room to spare.

Nyoro SF

I don't recall anything about catgirls, I'd have to look it up again. But I think Hans is pretty funny just cause his implementation is so out there compared to what's been shown in the game up to that point. It's not like he can speak words or do any weird shenanigans so he's more like a cute pet than a mascot.

They don't really do anything with him for the rest of the game though, minus one scene or two where he gives his approval to Alicia's buns.

Just beat Ch. 5 Wildwood warfare was kinda rough to me. But it was mostly my fault lol. Up to this point I've kinda been ignoring scouts and realized that was a mistake during the mission. Also didn't at first see the Engineers option to repair tanks, again my fault
when General Jaegar showed up with that tank, I wasn't sure I was making it out. But managed to do it on first try.

sora87

I kinda wish they added a difficulty option so I could just breeze through it this time around, some of these encounters are kicking my ass and i've got so many other games to plaaaaay!

Bastables

Even NAZI's had mascots

tumblr_nxrvffHChQ1tabeo5o1_500.jpg

Mascots, too anime

ships-dog-hms-vansittart.jpg

image.jpg

Baalzebup

Just beat Ch. 5 Wildwood warfare was kinda rough to me. But it was mostly my fault lol. Up to this point I've kinda been ignoring scouts and realized that was a mistake during the mission. Also didn't at first see the Engineers option to repair tanks, again my fault
when General Jaegar showed up with that tank, I wasn't sure I was making it out. But managed to do it on first try.
The Lupus is such a beastly thing to be sprung on you for the first time. It is one mean looking tank.
But yeah, the size of the maps does often encourage you to send scouts ahead to grab forward camps and then call the slower units there as reinforcements instead of slogging the whole way there, burning through CP for nothing.
Even NAZI's had mascots

tumblr_nxrvffHChQ1tabeo5o1_500.jpg

A good thing to remember, the average soldiers of the Wehrmacht were no different from anyone.
literally a NAZI creation, as were the NAZI eagles everyone had on their uniforms.
?!? The imperial eagle pre-dates anything Nazi related by a rather huge margin. Those dudes just re-designed the logo a bit, which is a thing you do when you're doing the whole image branding stitch.

Bastables

The Lupus is such a beastly thing to be sprung on you for the first time. It is one mean looking tank.
But yeah, the size of the maps does often encourage you to send scouts ahead to grab forward camps and then call the slower units there as reinforcements instead of slogging the whole way there, burning through CP for nothing.

A good thing to remember, the average soldiers of the Wehrmacht were no different from anyone.

But never forget the change from Reichswehr to Wehrmacht was literally a NAZI creation, as were the NAZI eagles everyone had on their uniforms.

Even "good" people can be harnessed to evil ends, Selvira ect.

Shahed

Okay I'm on the end boss during tne second phase and no matter what I do the game keeps freezing as I'm trying to take my action. Were there any reports of bugs/crashes here on the PS3/PC release?

Can't remember her name but the moody sniper woman has great traits and often ends up a favorite.
Marina. Will never miss once Snipers hit Level 16. Although considering that by the time you'll hit that the snipers will have such good range and accuracy it's not as good as it sounds. Still nice to have

Anung

Un Rama
Can't remember her name but the moody sniper woman has great traits and often ends up a favorite.

Excellent! I'll stick her on.

Any useful tips would be fantastic actually. Been years since I've played this and I didn't finish it because it was too tough.

Okay I'm on the end boss during tne second phase and no matter what I do the game keeps freezing as I'm trying to take my action. Were there any reports of bugs/crashes here on the PS3/PC release?

Marina. Will never miss once Snipers hit Level 16. Although considering that by the time you'll hit that the snipers will have such good range and accuracy it's not as good as it sounds. Still nice to have

Strongly disagree with the bolded. There are some Imperial sniper rifles with terrible accuracy (I want to say D rank) but ungodly vs. Personnel dmg. Give her one of those and watch her tear fools up with pin-point accuracy.

Baalzebup

Is there any squad mates in particular I should be keeping an eye out for?

The Lady sniper in question is Marina Wolfstan, but her true value becomes apparent late in the game. She isn't half bad before, but her 4th and final class potential is the one that makes her the superduper Marina™ that everyone wants to use. Overall, the number of unlocked class potentials is the deciding factor when doing objective evaluation of the squad members who are not a part of the command squad. The best lv 20 party is very different from the best party at lv 8.

The squad leaders of other classes will be overshadowed to a certain degree later on, but Alicia is, and always will be, the best scout. The only difference is that the gap between her and the other good scouts only gets wider later on.

The engineers are generally a bunch of weirdos with seemingly 50/50 good and bad traits, but Nadine is the best of that bunch, easy.
Suzie, Nancy and Noce should be booted from the squad the moment you get their hidden character potential unlocked, as they are actively detrimental to your cause.

Overall, always go and check the character sheet when Ellet mentions having done some interviews on your members and then go and check the potentials of the members who have gotten a second paragraph in their descriptions. The main cast members don't adhere to that rule, as their potentials change as the story goes by and as you do the side episodes that actually have missions.

Anyone with the Darcsen Hater potential is likely to be on the lower tier side of that particular class.
Excellent! I'll stick her on.

Any useful tips would be fantastic actually. Been years since I've played this and I didn't finish it because it was too tough.

See the general tips posts linked in the OP.

Baalzebup

if i remember correctly, if you go in and out the command room , the squad selection would change.

Nah. The initial pool of members is determined once you enter the room for the first time. It is possible to load a save before that to have the pool re-rolled, and you can repeat this process when the chapters change and you get those two additional people, but on the latter case it only affects the new guys. Once determined, the pool is not re-rolled no matter how many times you exit and enter.

Overall, I find that stuff very anal as you will eventually get everyone anyway (barring the special unlocks) and the real star players become so only later on.

Top Bottom