• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles Remaster |OT| One more time: You can do this. Trust in yourself!

MMaRsu

Banned
Yeah leaving some slots open is beneficial at times. Say you capture an enemy camp, you can then spawn your troops there for the next turn. That can be more useful than say dragging low AP units across the map.

Thanks for the tip!

Im really loving this game so far, because on ps3 I only played till the second chapter *shame*

MADGAME

Oh hey, don't know if anyone has posted this tip yet, but:

When you get within your specific weapon's range of an enemy, the arrow over their head will change from gold to red. This is the difference between 7 shots to kill, and hundreds of shots to kill. This works for all weapons and items in the game, from rifles to grenades to mortars to healing items (friendly units in range of healing items will go from gold to blue).

Edit: Also, if you want to change the facing of a unit without using the stick and risk moving them or losing AP, turn the camera to face where you want the unit to face and tap the L2 button.

Nice one, thanks!

Finished the survey earlier, the last few questions got me (good on whoever made that), kind of surprised nobody made a thread about it.
I asked for the Extra Edition of VC3, and yea, VC2 even though I got really bored with that one and because I'm sure that browser card game is dead anyways.

jennetics

Just picked up my reserve yesterday. The steelbook looks so freaking awesome! But I can't play it yet. Must finish the current game I'm on (Borderlands Presequel). Must finish quickly >:[

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Not a fan of steel books. Anyone know if I order from Amazon if I'll get a standard case or not?

butman

LP9toS6.jpg

Sooo good. Finally i'll gonna jump into this acclaimed gem.

Dad

Holy shit, chapter 7 is fucking harrowing. I won flying by the seat of my pants with nobody left on the map except Welkin on my third try. Do the maps only get more insane from here?

TheFlow

Banned
Holy shit, chapter 7 is fucking harrowing. I won flying by the seat of my pants with nobody left on the map except Welkin on my third try. Do the maps only get more insane from here?

oh honey. level up your scouts asap. the maps get bigger and crazier.

Corpekata

Banned

No, it's one of the peak moments, and frequently a major roadblock for players. Most maps aren't so intense.

There's a few more maps like that but, like that one, it's mostly dictacted by spikes in the storyline.

Nyoro SF

The hardest story chapters in the game for a fresh player are: 7, 10B, 14, 17. Maybe 18B too because that one requires a bit of experimenting.

Some people say 15B is hard, but I think that one becomes hard depending on which direction you choose in the beginning. Also if you have the order Neutralize, it becomes a lot easier.

oh honey. level up your scouts asap. the maps get bigger and crazier.

Rather than just leveling up scouts, he needs to make sure he visits Castlefront St so that he unlocks hidden potentials for characters. The game doesn't tell you it does this but that's how the system works. Make sure you go to every part of the HQ menu before attempting a chapter.

Baalzebup

I find that that most of the difficulty claimed about 15B stems from people having forgotten their new toy that they get for Marberry Shore. It works just was well there as it does in Marberry. Just because the game doesn't specifically tell you to use it is no reason to forget about a tool with massive tactical potential. And no, I don't mean the cheese-tastic exploits that have been spawned later on.

Chapter 7 is legit when you deal with it for the first time, blind. Leveling scouts alone won't do shit either. You could have scouts at lv 20, all armed with the best Royal weapons available, and still be whipped like a cur.

Wagram

60fps is great, but why is the animation worse than the PS3 version? It's much more jaggy and more pop in as well.

So, hows it look aliasing and blur wise on PS4?

The major issue with the PC version, IMO, is that we're basically forced to play at 4K in order to have a clean image, because the way the game is shaded it looks like 720p even at 1080p. Looks great at 4K, I'll say, but it basically requires a 970 minimum if you want to play at 60FPS.

They clean up the fuzz, blur, and aliasing in VCR on PS4 so that it looks as good as it can be at 1080p?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
So, hows it look aliasing and blur wise on PS4?

The major issue with the PC version, IMO, is that we're basically forced to play at 4K in order to have a clean image, because the way the game is shaded it looks like 720p even at 1080p. Looks great at 4K, I'll say, but it basically requires a 970 minimum if you want to play at 60FPS.

They clean up the fuzz, blur, and aliasing in VCR on PS4 so that it looks as good as it can be at 1080p?

They only raised the internal resolution to 1080p. No AA

black070

How easy is the easiest difficulty mode ? I ask because I really want to give this game a go, but tactical RPGs have never been my forte.

wighti

How easy is the easiest difficulty mode ? I ask because I really want to give this game a go, but tactical RPGs have never been my forte.

It's quite fair and if you are willing to spend a few minutes looking over some guides that point you to the right direction as to what to level up first and in which order you can pretty much sit back and enjoy the, amazing, story.

assuming this has the same balance as the PC version, i recommend skipping a lot of the ways to increase the power of your squad/characters

use them as a last resort if you get stuck on a mission that's too hard, but the game is a nice challenge just based on moderate leveling up

i know that stuff is part of the game, but you might ruin the challenge by making your army too strong.

bennibop

Loving the game so far although I have just reached chapter 7 which is where I gave up on the PS3 version.

My biggest gripe with the remaster though is that they have still not put in an auto save feature between chapters, have already been caught out twice!!!

MMaRsu

Banned
Man that Batomys tank battle was no joke. Still made it out with everyone alive ( after restarting twice haha )

Giolon

For all of you that are digging the steelbook cover art, know that it's based on the cover for the game's outstanding art book, which you can still pick up from Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1926778162/?tag=neogaf0e-20

For a preview of the contents, I posted some photos way, way, way back when it came out:
Hey guys! I went and picked up my copy of the VC art book from Kinokuniya this weekend!

VCArtbook01.jpg

WOW let me tell you this is THE BEST artbook I have ever bought. It was a little steep at $63.65, but absolutely worth the price for some great art work from one of my favorite games of all time. I got leave to post a couple pictures of the inside (I asked for permission to post two - I'm going to post three, I hope that's ok!). The pictures aren't huge, but they're good enough quality to see how great this thing is (the idea is to convince you to go buy it instead of replacing the need or desire). So here are just a couple of my favorite bits of this 400 page beast:

VCArtbook02.jpg

It's Rosie! I love her. Every character of the main cast (hero and villain alike) has a full page illustration by the game's character designer, Raita (whom I just found out is also a hentai manga artist o_0 ). Largo's illustration is one of my favorites.

VCArtbook03.jpg

The have design pages for all the primary cast, that go into much more detail on design iterations and changes than the this image here, but I just love this pose of Alicia and the detailing of the expressions in the bottom.

VCArtbook04.jpg

In the back there's an extensive set of pre-production artwork, showcasing extremely early character designs, scenarios and prototypes. I love it. This is one of my favorite pics from that section.

What I've posted just scratches the surface. Did you know Selvaria appears to originally have been designed with short hair? Or that the game was titled "Gallian Panzers" early on?

Perhaps my favorite feature of this book is that the cover artwork wraps around to the back and inside the flaps. If you pull it off the book and lay it out, it makes one continuous image of THE ENTIRE SQUAD 7. I really want to figure out how I can scan it and get it into my computer to be wallpaper in one piece.

I just wanted to give you guys a taste of the awesomeness (Selvaria bikini page intentially ommitted from these images). All of this should be plenty of information to let you know that if you are a true Valkyria Chronicles fan, YOU NEED THIS BOOK.

In other VC related merchandise news, I literally just got pre-billing notification 15 minutes ago from E2046 on the 1/6 Selvaria PVC figure which means it'll be coming very soon. :D

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=19585983&highlight=art+book#post19585983

Oh and the version the version being sold on Amazon.com is in English.

Ponn

Banned
So, I'm curious, GAF.

How would you all react if Valkyria Chronicles 3 was localized as a 3DS port rather than a PC+PS4 remaster?

I just want to play it so I would be fine with that. I would prefer a Vita port though, but the most likely scenario is a PS4 VC2/VC3 combo disc.

Baalzebup

So, I'm curious, GAF.

How would you all react if Valkyria Chronicles 3 was localized as a 3DS port rather than a PC+PS4 remaster?

Towering anger, most likely.
i wonder what's getting you to ask that? like, what sort of possible indication is there that a game from a mostly playstation exclusive franchise would receive a remaster on a different base?

The fractured nature of the Kingdom Hearts series is a very real thing, as a cautionary tale if nothing else.
For all of you that are digging the steelbook cover art, know that it's based on the cover for the game's outstanding art book, which you can still pick up from Amazon here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/1926778162/?tag=neogaf0e-20

For a preview of the contents, I posted some photos way, way, way back when it came out:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=19585983&highlight=art+book#post19585983

Oh and the version the version being sold on Amazon.com is in English.

Heh, I actually bought all 3 about two years ago.The first book is so gorramn meaty. Worth every penny IMO

So, I'm curious, GAF.

i wonder what's getting you to ask that? like, what sort of possible indication is there that a game from a mostly playstation exclusive franchise would receive a remaster on a different base?

Because, honestly, it's the most realistic route.

PSP remasters are almost universally panned in the west (Look at the critical and GAF receptions of Peace Walker HD and Type-0 HD) due to the massive differences in design language between the PSP and HD systems. VC3 may not have copied a bunch of MonHun mechanics like VC2 did, but it's game design was still built around being a game played in 10-15 minute increments. The 3DS as it stands is the ONLY platform at the moment where VC3's game design will be respected by critics and players. That, and it won't require an expensive remastering due to being similar spec hardware. A task, I should remind everyone, a lot of people on here (Some of whom posted in this thread) were saying would "Never" happen due to the amount of effort required in making VC3 look good in HD.

VC3 would need to be more than a port/Remaster/localization. If the game design isn't radically altered for home system tastes, Sega WILL take heat from critics and gamers for it like Type 0 HD did. And Type 0, a Final Fantasy game that's localization was demanded in a much higher volume than VC3 ever was, packed in with a demo of the highly anticipated FFXV, sold less on three platforms combined than Lightning Returns sold. Make of that what you will.

And even ignoring portable game design... If VC3R is anything less than a Master Chief Collection tier graphical facelift, there's going to be a lot of "Looks like an uprezzed PSP game, 0/10”s from critics and GAFers like with Peace Walker HD and Type 0 HD. And something of THAT budget is never coming out of Sega's pockets.

The fractured nature of the Kingdom Hearts series is a very real thing, as a cautionary tale if nothing else.
but it's not like kingdom hearts is remastered exclusively on nintendo platforms. it's multiplatform.

PSP remasters are almost universally panned in the west (Look at the critical and GAF receptions of Peace Walker HD and Type-0 HD) due to the massive differences in design language between the PSP and HD systems. VC3 may not have copied a bunch of MonHun mechanics like VC2 did, but it's game design was still built around being a game played in 10-15 minute increments. The 3DS as it stands is the ONLY platform at the moment where VC3's game design will be respected by critics and players. That, and it won't require an expensive remastering due to being similar spec hardware. A task, I should remind everyone, a lot of people on here (Some of whom posted in this thread) were saying would "Never" happen due to the amount of effort required in making VC3 look good in HD.

VC3 would need to be more than a port/Remaster/localization. If the game design isn't radically altered for home system tastes, Sega WILL take heat from critics and gamers for it like Type 0 HD did. And Type 0, a Final Fantasy game that's localization was demanded in a much higher volume than VC3 ever was, packed in with a demo of the highly anticipated FFXV, sold less on three platforms combined than Lightning Returns sold. Make of that what you will.

And even ignoring portable game design... If VC3R is anything less than a Master Chief Collection tier graphical facelift, there's going to be a lot of "Looks like an uprezzed PSP game, 0/10”s from critics and GAFers like with Peace Walker HD and Type 0 HD. And something of THAT budget is never coming out of Sega's pockets.
you certainly are knowledgable on the subject, more than me, so i can't respond to any of that, all i can say is,

what if it doesn't sell well on the 3DS? the most realistic route is where the most of the fanbase is. that may be part of the reason why digimon story cyber sleuth didn't come out on 3DS. but regardless of all that - if valkyria 3 comes out on 3DS, i don't see what the problem is as long as it's not exclusive. there should be a Ps4 version too. it'd be especially wrong and weird not to do that hence this thread; the remastered version of the original game coming out on that platform.

Saphirax

The most realistic route is for the games to be on platforms where they have the most chances of selling. And that platform isn't the 3DS. The fanbase simply isn't there. Majority of the people asking for VC2 and VC3 want the games to be on PS4/PC
Type-0 had a lot more issues than just being a psp game originally. Yes, it had a lot of design constraints due to it being a psp game, but it also had a slew of issues which had nothing to do with the system it was on. It also didn't help that the people clamoring for Type-0 in the west wanted it for the psp/vita.

Honestly, by making the games 3DS only Sega would be doing the exact same thing Square did with Type-0.

The most realistic route is for the games to be on platforms where they have the most chances of selling.
Yep, that's what I'm saying.
And that platform isn't the 3DS. The fanbase simply isn't there. Majority of the people asking for VC2 and VC3 want the games to be on PS4/PC
Type-0 had a lot more issues than just being a psp game originally. Yes, it had a lot of design constraints due to it being a psp game, but it also had a slew of issues which had nothing to do with the system it was on. It also didn't help that the people clamoring for Type-0 in the west wanted it for the psp/vita.

Honestly, by making the games 3DS only Sega would be doing the exact same thing Square did with Type-0.
and what sega also already did with yakuza 1/2 on wii u.

also, might I add yo...you got one creepy avatar.

Shahed

When I first played the game on PS3 Chapter 7 was what made it for me. One of my favourite moments in games. The trial and error I usee to get through it and the planning and foresight required is what eventually let SRPG's win me over as I couldn't get into them before.

So, I'm curious, GAF.

I wouldn't play it. I have difficulty enough playing on Vita games as it is and I wouldn't want VC3 there so nevermind 3DS. While the story, scructure and themes may be more to my liking it'll still have the same map issues as VC2 wo I'm not that bothered. I'd more want Azure Revolution and a new Chronicles.

Unless it's on PS4 I ain't interested.

Jolkien

So for the platinum trophy you need to get an A rank in all story mission ? Easier to do on NG+ or I should grab them all on my first play through ?

Top Bottom