• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles Remaster |OT| One more time: You can do this. Trust in yourself!

Cornbread78

Europa edition is EU only, while the US gets the steelbook. Afaik there is no normal edition for the US.

Thanks for pointing this out. I updated the OP to clarify the titles to this point.

yr0AvpE.jpg

Logash

Bought this game when I was broke in college and ended up having to trade it in for money. Now I have a job and the price looks right imma hop on this train!

Amory

never played this on PS3 but it always looked interesting.

seems like as good a time as any to give it a shot

Catherine is fine early on, but Marina Wulfstan is the one and only ultimate sniper™ in the late game.

I think Marina was the fan favorite. I always used Emile because of the squad likes.

Snipers are actually pretty weak in this game. But the best sniper is Emile if you know the full ins and outs of the Potentials system. Since it's no big deal (I can't think of any situations in the main game where eking out maximized damage with a Sniper is critical to strategy), any sniper will work, including the waifu you are describing, Marina.

Yeah that's who it was, I remember reloading my save a few times to get her (I had the guide for vc on ps3 and they actually recommended getting her on your team early on lol)

Z3M0G

I'll third dip some day, guaranteed. I didn't even finish the 1st mission on PC since it ran kinda crappy on my rig. I'd much prefer to replay this on PS4. I'm kinda done with PC gaming in general really.

RiggyRob

Subbed - my Europa Edition actually got here on the weekend but I wasn't around to play it, and I made the mistake of getting Dark Souls 3 at the same time so I probably won't get around to playing it for a while!

Still looking forward to it though, this game is what I imagine Codename S.T.E.A.M. should've been.

I'm really thrilled to see so many folk diving into the experience for the first time and I hope everyone enjoys the ride while it last. It was undeniably an underappreciated gem on the PS3 with a passionate, vocal fan base that kept it in the forefront of many recommendation lists for the respective platform. Sega appears to be fighting for the property to the best of their ability with the PC port and the console remaster which I'm ecstatic to witness over them pushing Sonic once more beyond the point of fatigue with no critical success. I'll definitely grab my copy tomorrow as a sign of support for "Valkyria" although I probably won't get around to trying it for sometime given that I've already beaten the original release. Disappointed that NA fans won't be receiving the artbooklet, plus our case looks like a MetalPak over a proper steel book with the lack of a proper spine, but I'm very happy that a physical version became a reality more than anything else as a collector. Hopefully we'll see a remaster of the PSP sequels, albiet doubtful, or localization plans finally being solidified for the spinoff.

Cornbread78

Wait, so the only physical edition in the US is going to be the Steelbook? I... kinda hate that.

They have not been clear in regards to this as of yet. It has just been hinted that this will be a limited print remaster, but we have no further information on a regular case release.

Amazon has been preparing my order for like 3 days now, but supposedly its getting to my house tomorrow? Guess we'll see how this pans out

New to the series, some questions

Does this game reminds the gameplay of fire emblem? (deployment, perma-death, movement), I know its turn based but with action movement, i love games like fire emblem and tactics ogre, will i probably enjoy this? I wasnt that fond of Xcom: enemy unknow, but mostly for the setting and the general management (outside battle)

Does this version makes anything different from the PC? (maybe I'll buy it on steam)

Stuart444

Is it just me or is there no images in the first post?

Also This came for me on Sat, Europa edition. Did the prologue only so far though.

Cornbread78

fuck, this means i might have to wait like 2 fuckin weeks to play this shit though :(

I'm sure they are many people out there that would trade cases with you in a heartbeat if you don't want to wait.

Is it just me or is there no images in the first post?

Also This came for me on Sat, Europa edition. Did the prologue only so far though.

They are all hosted in imgur, so there shouldn't be any issues.?!.

New to the series, some questions

Does this game reminds the gameplay of fire emblem? (deployment, perma-death, movement), I know its turn based but with action movement, i love games like fire emblem and tactics ogre, will i probably enjoy this? I wasnt that fond of Xcom: enemy unknow, but mostly for the setting and the general management (outside battle)

Does this version makes anything different from the PC? (maybe I'll buy it on steam)

This game has one of the best tactical rpg systems ever. Deployment needs to be strategic, iirc character perma death happens if you let the enemy unit capture a fallen teammate and the movement is fluid.

So will this only be sold at Amazon, GameStop, and Best Buy?
I have a Best Buy right around the corner of my job so I'll head there immediately after work.

Baalzebup

Waiting for my order to ship :x

How hard are the trophies btw ? I didn't look the list because there could be spoilers

No that hard, really, but a set of them based on total kill tally, so it might come to doing some meatgrinder stuff to get a platinum. I seem to remember that the 8th skirmish map was excellent for this on hard difficulty due to endless waves of mooks, who were then cut down by proper intercept-fire setup.

So what's the consensus on this vs the PC edition?

Having anything resembling a consensus before the official release date would be a rather novel thing to have, methinks.

Probably going to pick this up in the Summer, never played it before so looking forward to it. I watched a few episodes of Kay Plays which sold me on it.

Cornbread78

Is there any worry about about the steelbook running out of print?

- Yes, it's a Day 1/Pre-order print only from what has been said.

Waiting for my order to ship :x
How hard are the trophies btw ? I didn't look the list because there could be spoilers

I clicked the link for you, but the "trophy guide" that usually lists that info is not there yet. Also, there are only 21 trophies total..

Boke1879

- Yes, it's a Day 1/Pre-order print only from what has been said.

I clicked the link for you, but the "trophy guide" that usually lists that info is not there yet. Also, there are only 21 trophies total..

Well looks like i'll take the plunge earlier than. It's cheap enough.

Cornbread78

So what's the consensus on this vs the PC edition?

How does this version compare to the PC version?

Unfortuantely, the only review of this was done by a banned site and reposted by everyone else online, but that reviewer had said:

Ultimately, the two versions are close to identical, Which one is the best for you probably depends on whether you prefer a slightly softer overall look on PC, or graphics that are a bit sharper on PS4.

Is the PS4 purchase worth your money if you already own the PC version? Your mileage may vary on this. Personally, I’m going to quadruple dip when the English PS4 version will come out this spring, but it’s mostly to support a franchise that really deserves it.

Baalzebup

Considering the number of trophies I'm gonna say this is probably the PC version ported to PS4 (minus obvious things like 144fps support)

The trophies, cheevos etc are directly based on the ingame version of them, the medal system, discounting the one extra, which is the get everything else -cheevo itself. The PS3 version had 20 medals to get.

Top Bottom