• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles Remaster |OT| One more time: You can do this. Trust in yourself!

Koren

And then later down the road, no trophies kept me from putting it in.
Are you interested in the "challenges" provided by the trophies, or just in the system-wide tally of medals?

Because if you're interested in the objectives that go with trophies, that was a very bad reason, the game HAS its own trophies (medals), just not system-wide.

(personally, I think it's far better than system-wide trophies, but that's just me)

Shahed

I got my copy On Saturday, although I didn't start it till Sunday. Triple dipping after owning it on PS3 and PC.

Since I've played it already I had no qualms about unlocking the Ruhm before starting thr main game. Also made sure to get Lynn and to a lesser extent Emile early. Swapping my squad regularly to earn the potentials as soon as I can as well!

Nyoro SF

I never played the Hard EX mode, how is it? I remember the main game not being too difficult except for a few battles.

Hard's not so bad as long as you have a good grasp on mechanics.

Expert's a totally different ballgame though. In all of these, they take away your tank and they take away Orders; two big crutches. Also Welkin is force-deployed on foot and can't retreat, and if he goes down the mission is over. Lots of fun honestly cause they throw some interesting mission designs at you too.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Really looking forward to this. Never played it on PS3. Got the steelbook preordered. May not get to it right away but am will relatively soon.

Stopped at chapter 2 or 3, beginning.
Gameplay is fun and simple so far (obviously its the beginning)

I like that its already giving me different objectives like "reach this location" unlike Fire emblem awakening which was either kill all these guys or kill just this one guy to progress

orochi91

I have it pre-ordered, but no PS4 at the moment (fucking PS4K better release this year).

Steel Book was too gorgeous to pass up, though will probably avoid all the spoilers in this thread.

I hear the story is pretty good.

Disappointed what I hear about the rank system. I only went through the first game once and never bothered with the ranks.

I kind of want to do everything I can in this game and I'm sure there will be trophies tied to the rank.

Cornbread has a mention of this in the OP. Plenty of people are picking this up for the first time, so everything should be tagged as usual.
oh cool i didn't notice that. great.
Whether or not people actually respect this remains to be seen.
well, are there gonna be consequences?
I mean, everyone already knows Thanos is in it so whats the point right?
na i didn't know that. thanks for spoiling it for me.

Aki-at

Is there any confirmation Media Vision is the developer? I thought this was a straight PC port but would be kind of funny SEGA paid another developer to redo something they had already developed lol.

I'm really debating getting this mainly because I already own the original and I've got the PC port so if I triple dip it'd be to get a physical and support. Slightly tempted by the artbook but already have the UDON books.

Really happy to see how popular a third re-release of this game is proving to be though :)

Nyoro SF

Is there any confirmation Media Vision is the developer? I thought this was a straight PC port but would be kind of funny SEGA paid another developer to redo something they had already developed lol.

I'm really debating getting this mainly because I already own the original and I've got the PC port so if I triple dip it'd be to get a physical and support. Slightly tempted by the artbook but already have the UDON books.

Really happy to see how popular a third re-release of this game is proving to be though :)

Sega ported it internally. They did it from PS3 to PS4.
Source: 4gamer interview that I'm translating (very slowly) at the moment.

Sega ported it internally. They did it from PS3 to PS4.
Source: 4gamer interview that I'm translating (very slowly) at the moment.

Did you check the credits in-game and/or in the manual?

I mean, it might be considered taboo for them to mention the existence of a version they didn't release in Japan.

The only times I ever see Japanese developers mentioning PC versions in Japan are when the developers are ones that actually release PC versions in Japan (IE, Square Enix)

Had no idea about that Europa edition, that would have been nice to have. Sadly I have to wait until Thursday to play this replay this classic, as I forgot to change my cc since the one I used on this expired.

Nyoro SF

Did you check the credits in-game and/or in the manual?

I mean, it might be considered taboo for them to mention the existence of a version they didn't release in Japan.

The only times I ever see Japanese developers mentioning PC versions in Japan are when the developers are ones that actually release PC versions in Japan (IE, Square Enix)

While it's possible, judging from the interview I find it unlikely (unless they are superbly good liars or talented at obfuscating). Someone can of course record the credits for me thanks to the PS4 Share button if they could be so kind.

Whether they were directing an external studio or not I don't know, but the interview is pretty clear they were dealing with the PS3 version.

While it's possible, judging from the interview I find it unlikely (unless they are superbly good liars or talented at obfuscating). Someone can of course record the credits for me thanks to the PS4 Share button if they could be so kind.

Whether they were directing an external studio or not I don't know, but the interview is pretty clear they were dealing with the PS3 version.

Yeah, well, what about the fact that VCR runs at 60FPS?

Japanese developers generally have a poor track record when it comes to updating 30FPS games to 60FPS (60FPS games becoming 30FPS ports is a much more common occurrence) even when it's more than viable. And given the presumed amount of time the PC port was in development, I'd have to venture a guess that a lot of that time was overhauling the engine for variable framerates.

There's no way that they did this port from complete scratch without ever borrowing from the PC port's efforts. Sega has made some very questionable decisions before, but even I would hold them above deciding to go the masochistic road of porting something from Cell rather than X86. As far as I'm aware, this was the only PS3 game a lot of the dev team ever worked on before moving on to PSP/DS/3DS projects instead, so it can't be a matter of being experienced with Cell.

Really excited for this. I had played the PS3 version and gotten really far, but for whatever reason I stopped and never got back to it. So I'm looking forward to finally finishing this game.

For some reason I'm not getting it until Wednesday though. Usually Amazon gets me my games on the release day.

Nyoro SF

Yeah, well, what about the fact that VCR runs at 60FPS?

Japanese developers generally have a poor track record when it comes to updating 30FPS games to 60FPS (60FPS games becoming 30FPS ports is a much more common occurrence) even when it's more than viable. And given the presumed amount of time the PC port was in development, I'd have to venture a guess that a lot of that time was overhauling the engine for variable framerates.

There's no way that they did this port from complete scratch without ever borrowing from the PC port's efforts. Sega has made some very questionable decisions before, but even I would hold them above deciding to go the masochistic road of porting something from Cell rather than X86. As far as I'm aware, this was the only PS3 game a lot of the dev team ever worked on before moving on to PSP/DS/3DS projects instead, so it can't be a matter of being experienced with Cell.

They mention in the interview that they toughed out all of the bugs that occurred from 30 to 60fps, that they had to toss out PS3 sound middleware because PS4's is totally different, that the original parameter adjuster they used for dev became useless (think adjustments to make your character turn into god mode or have 1000 bullets), and there's a clear sentence of "placing the PS3 version on the PS4 for the first time to see what would happen".

Now how much work that actually was, or if it was done externally, justifiable by cost, or if they're just lying through their teeth to save face, I have no idea. Perhaps Sony has some porting middleware available that makes it easier to shift from PS3 to PS4 than PC to PS4, just like when Sony introduced software technology to make it easy for developers to make PS3/Vita dual platform games.

So if Sega is crazy... maybe. Haha. But they are explicit it was PS3. I don't have any other proof other than what they say. While I'm accustomed to game developers lying and being deceptive, I don't see a reason for them to lie with such enthusiasm on this particular subject. lol

Baalzebup

A PSN digital edition with some bonus swag at a lower price than it retails at? Future is now. I already have the big-ass art books, so I think I'm cool with not paying 10 euro extra for that Squad 7 / Selvaria poster.

Aki-at

So if Sega is crazy... maybe. Haha. But they are explicit it was PS3. I don't have any other proof other than what they say. While I'm accustomed to game developers lying and being deceptive, I don't see a reason for them to lie with such enthusiasm on this particular subject. lol

If this was anyone else I would question the interview.

But knowing it's SEGA I'm going to assume they are being their usual eccentric self and throwing logic out of the window. Amazing.

oRuin

A PSN digital edition with some bonus swag at a lower price than it retails at? Future is now. I already have the big-ass art books, so I think I'm cool with not paying 10 euro extra for that Squad 7 / Selvaria poster.

Yeah I was shocked. This is what I thought digital meant back in 2002. Cheaper prices!

atlusprime

Atlus PR
Thanks for the OT, OP!

Side note, I still haven't found out what caused Nanako to leave Inaba and join up with the Gallian militia with a fake name. :(

B3FIhC4CUAAzItK.jpg:large

Seems like Amazon slipped somewhere in the shipping process, as my copy isn't arriving until Thursday. It's been over a year since I had this kind of thing happen, and it's annoying, but I doubt I'd get to it until the weekend anyway.

Looking forward to it, at any rate.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Thanks for the OT, OP!

Side note, I still haven't found out what caused Nanako to leave Inaba and join up with the Gallian militia with a fake name. :(

This came out before Persona 4 though, as hard as it is to believe.

Aters

Can you walk around and stuff when you're not battling? Um... how's the waifu?

Mediking and his love for waifus.

No you can't walk around in town. No you don't have waifu, just a great female lead. Yes you should play this game because it's great.

Try VC3 if you can. I heard it has a fan patch. VC3 offers some great level design, interesting story, and most importantly, waifus.

Mediking

Thanks for the OT, OP!

ATLUS-SENPAI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

No you can't walk around in town. No you don't have waifu, just a great female lead. Yes you should play this game because it's great.

Try VC3 if you can. I heard it has a fan patch. VC3 offers some great level design, interesting story, and most importantly, waifus.

Hahahah alright, alright. I'll give it a shot.

Jake2by4

Seems like Amazon slipped somewhere in the shipping process, as my copy isn't arriving until Thursday. It's been over a year since I had this kind of thing happen, and it's annoying, but I doubt I'd get to it until the weekend anyway.

Amazon didn't have release day delivery option for it. Your best bet was to hit up customer service and ask/complain about the lack of rdd.

DJChuy

Had no idea this game was coming out tomorrow until I got the email from Amazon. I'm also getting mine delivered until Thursday, but I wouldn't have been able to play it properly until Friday anyways.

Loved it on the PS3, and I can't wait to go through it again.

Alicia's line "Once more, with feeling!" when Double Movement activates immediately popped into my mind when I thought about the OT. Fits perfectly.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Technically that's incorrect, and i'm still glad that Valkyria chronicles was mature enough to chronicle a story and a relationship to that degree.

Nothing like VC2 where the high school antics came first

Amazon has been absolute trash lately at day 1 deliveries. I got screwed on my last order (took an additional 3 days) and my friend got his DOOM copy 2 days late.

Top Bottom