• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Valkyria Chronicles Remaster |OT| One more time: You can do this. Trust in yourself!

anderedna

Triple dip. Preordered and fully paid. Now the waiting game :)
Lucky NA and EU got some special edition. Asia, not so much.
I want at least the steelbook

Unknown?

Just preordered this today at gamestop, luckily they accepted more. I had to because I thought they might not have any extra copies since Best Buy won't even take preorders.

Amazon has been absolute trash lately at day 1 deliveries. I got screwed on my last order (took an additional 3 days) and my friend got his DOOM copy 2 days late.

This is true. My friend's Doom order hadn't even begun to prepare for shipping on launch day and he paid for whatever the day one shipping.

My order hasn't gotten out of the preparing phase yet.

Third copy here we goooo. Im coming soooooon Selvaria <3

Anyways, I see the EU gets the DLC, how about us in NA? Do we have to wait for the dlc to come out or is it included in the game already?

EYEL1NER

My copy shipped from Amazon today and will be here tomorrow, $21.XX because they seemed to take the 20% off twice (I assume they will correct this in the next couple days). Wish I could play it soon, but onto the shelf it will go with the other PS4 games I have bought. I'll have to live vicariously through this thread until I decide to pull the trigger on a PS4 (maybe after E3 I'll get around to it).

Kvik

PC has unlocked framerate (linked to the refresh rate of your monitor) but going higher than 60 causes problems, so that's a non-plus. Barely anyone noticed this because G-SYNC monitors and such are niche.

Sorry for going on a tangent in a PS4 thread, but Nyoro, did you know if they finally patch this issue up? During the PC release I have to framelimit from otherwise a solid 144hz (I have a GSYNC monitor). If I didn't, everything is in slow motion during battles (and OSD shows only ~42fps (wtf?) for some reason). However, Book mode and everything else runs at 144hz.

Nyoro SF

Sorry for going on a tangent in a PS4 thread, but Nyoro, did you know if they finally patch this issue up? During the PC release I have to framelimit from otherwise a solid 144hz (I have a GSYNC monitor). If I didn't, everything is in slow motion during battles (and OSD shows only ~42fps (wtf?) for some reason). However, Book mode and everything else runs at 144hz.

They did not. I don't think they did any bug testing past 60fps. I dunno why they went for unlocked framerate, maybe they just ran out of time and budget to do testing on all potential framerates.

Well to explain further, the team that ported the game to PC had only ONE QA engineer, and he wasn't very good, missed a lot of basic stuff. He left the game industry almost immediately after the PC version released. Most of the patches that addressed problems of the game post-release at 60fps were ones that fans caught and documented, not QA, and there are still problems left today, including only one debilitating flaw that can thankfully be easily managed.

This was back in 2014 before third party PC port houses started relying more on private betas to test games prior to release. Still not a fully common practice, but it should be... though I doubt having complete unlocked framerate support would be top of their priorities.

This is why I think that Sega isn't lying when they said they ported PS3 version to PS4, because I think they knocked out a lot of those remaining little bugs that a full-fledged internal team wouldn't let fly. I could list 'em but they're unrelated to the thread topic so I'll stop on that for the moment unless there's more general Valkyria questions. :p

None.

The developers were very specific about this in the 4gamer interview, about respecting the original graphic design of the game and the original staff's work.

I could have sworn I saw screenshots (As in, real screenshots of the game, not Famitsu's archived 2005/2006 beta screenshots of when this was still being made as an Xbox 360 game) where they lowered the opacity of the out-of-bounds barriers and added some half-baked Ambient Occlusion effect...

...But now that I recall, said screenshots were from [BANNED SITE] (Read: DShockers), and were probably doctored for whatever schemes [BANNED SITE] had in mind, considering I don't see that AO filter on anyone else's gameplay of VCR.

...I don't know how to break this to you, but I think your PC might actually kinda suck.

FX6300, GTX970, 8GB of RAM - 144FPS with no issue (At 1080p. Playing at 4K I crank it down to 72FPS) outside of a few maps that stress my CPU. You need to set your FPS cap to what your PC can manage, as the engine will set the speed around whatever cap you set.

They did not. I don't think they did any bug testing past 60fps. I dunno why they went for unlocked framerate, maybe they just ran out of time and budget to do testing on all potential framerates.

Well to explain further, the team that ported the game to PC had only ONE QA engineer, and he wasn't very good, missed a lot of basic stuff. He left the game industry almost immediately after the PC version released. Most of the patches that addressed problems of the game post-release at 60fps were ones that fans caught and documented, not QA, and there are still problems left today, including only one debilitating flaw that can thankfully be easily managed.

This was back in 2014 before third party PC port houses started relying more on private betas to test games prior to release. Still not a fully common practice, but it should be... though I doubt having complete unlocked framerate support would be top of their priorities.

This is why I think that Sega isn't lying when they said they ported PS3 version to PS4, because I think they knocked out a lot of those remaining little bugs that a full-fledged internal team wouldn't let fly. I could list 'em but they're unrelated to the thread topic so I'll stop on that for the moment unless there's more general Valkyria questions. :p

...I don't recall the initial PC release being even remotely as buggy as you would be implying, nor at any point. The only major issue I can recall is the music being loud relative to everything else.

Kvik

That's regrettable. :-\

...I don't know how to break this to you, but I think your PC might actually kinda suck.

FX6300, GTX970, 8GB of RAM - 144FPS with no issue (At 1080p. Playing at 4K I crank it down to 72FPS) outside of a few maps that stress my CPU. You need to set your FPS cap to what your PC can manage, as the engine will set the speed around whatever cap you set.

144Hz on a GSYNC monitor? My issue is during battles though, everything else seems fine.

I can barely get by on my specs, but I thought it was sufficient for VC:
i7-5930K @ 4.4Ghz
16GB RAM @ 3Ghz
2x GTX 980 in SLI
GSYNC XB270HU @1440p/144hz
Installed on 2x Samsung PRO 850 in RAID 0
Windows 8.1

Not an issue with SLI either since I recall they had an even load. I welcome other ideas though.

Now I wanna try VC2......

I think the biggest regret I have involving Valkyria Chronicles 2 is that AVGN hasn't reviewed it yet.

Because quality-wise, it about matches up with the games AVGN has reviewed.

Easily among one of the worst games on the PSP. The only real value in getting it is so you can see what a trainwreck of game design and severe loss of brand integrity looks like.

Nyoro SF

Now I wanna try VC2......

Not worth the suffering. Take it from me who didn't listen to people who tried to warn me.

To give you an idea, even the waifus are low quality in that game. I know that's hard to believe, but it's true.

FTFY.

Been a Prime member for six years now and I've had more late and/or broken items in 2016 than 2010-2015 combined.

Almost missed this post. Really, Amazon for some reason stopped shipping limited editions in boxes and shoved them into bubble mailers. I really hope they do not dent my copy.

Minustephen

Neo Member
No idea why I skipped this on the first go-around... yet here we are and I'm glad they've done a remaster-- it's coming Wednesday from Amazon. Azure Revolution looks so stunning I just can't imagine not being prepared for it.

Mediking

I think the biggest regret I have involving Valkyria Chronicles 2 is that AVGN hasn't reviewed it yet.

Because quality-wise, it about matches up with the games AVGN has reviewed.

Easily among one of the worst games on the PSP. The only real value in getting it is so you can see what a trainwreck of game design and severe loss of brand integrity looks like.

Not worth the suffering. Take it from me who didn't listen to people who tried to warn me.

To give you an idea, even the waifus are low quality in that game. I know that's hard to believe, but it's true.

Hahahah okay. I won't try VC2 then. Thanks!

Yeah, and there's like no sense of cohesion at all in the total package. It really felt like the development consisted of going through the motions and a half-assed attempt at riding the Monster Hunter bandwagon with all the half-baked mechanics that they albatross'd onto the gameplay. And last I recall, the majority of the development staff was outsourced from a variety of small-time studios from China and Korea in need of a handout since the first game's development team had been shuttered and scattered around to various other Sega Japan studios with generic names.

I'm fairly certain that the game-plan for VC2 was to shit something out on a low budget that they could get VC1's hungry fans to buy up and make up for VC1's initially low (Possibly negative?) margins so they could tell investors the IP was profitable so they could make a real sequel on a proper budget worth a damn (AKA: Valkyria Chronicles 3)

...But if you ask me, surely if that was the idea, wouldn't making a reskin-game/$60 expansion pack [COD joke here] be more viable? That PSP move only accomplished alienating a portion of the fanbase that was too large to shake a stick at. Though I suppose that VC2 had already began development as a PSP game by the time VC1 finally took off on PS3 almost a year after initial release.

Anyway, really hope Azure Revolution localization is announced at E3. Say what you want about the gameplay shown off so far, but I'm sure Media Vision will get it in order by the time it goes gold. Remember people - Demon's Souls was considered a complete disaster by a lot of people around the same stage of development that Azure Revolution is in - As are a lot of games internally, which is why most publishers like to keep things as under-wraps as possible.

VAR has STYLE, that's for sure.

Valkyria-Azure-Revolution_2016_04-22-16_002.jpg
Valkyria-Azure-Revolution_2016_04-22-16_003.jpg

Dat Avan design recycle though. Avan was already a recycled Ethan Waber, and now Sabanci is going to be a recycled Avan.

Plz buy Azure Revolution when it comes out people. I can say for certain looking at the game that it isn't some low-budget shit-out-for-high-margins game like VC2 was, and I'm more than certain it'll take the franchise with it if it fails. I can't name any IPs that have gotten a 3rd chance.

SephLuis

Hahahah okay. I won't try VC2 then. Thanks!

I think its worth a shot at least.

The game has many, many issues but I wouldnt put into the psp worst games or anything close to AVGN levels of crap.

VC3 is a much better game that fixes a lot of VC2 issues regarding gameplay. VC2 has some themes that I found interesting but the school theme and overall paddibg makes getting to the good parts a pain in the ass.

Its the kinda of thing you play once in your lifetime really

BTA

There's too much on plate at the moment, but I'll likely be picking this up at some point. The original game was one of my first PS3 games, and I loved it but never actually made it all the way through. I've been debating just resuming my old save for a while now, but at this point it might be better to just have a fresh start on the PS4. I hope everyone picking it up at launch has fun with it, especially if you haven't played it before; you're in for a treat.

Well I finally got an email that my order has shipped. But it isn't coming through the post office it's coming in through UPS. Which sucks cause that means it can show up anywhere from 10 in the morning to 10 at night :/. At least with USPS it would've shown up around noon, and I have the day off tomorrow too...

So I had originally applied a $5 gift card to the order when I preordered it and today when I assume it was "charged" it ate the rest of the gift card money in my account. Money that was added after I had preordered and before it started to prepare for shipping. Has this happened to anyone with Amazon before?

Edit: Bleh, had to cancel the order to sort that out. I'll be getting this even later than I expected.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Again, its not that i particularly dislike school themes or teen protagonists as long as they are done well(everything is a spin on a cliche right?), its just that Valkyria Chronicles 2 never tried, and it wasn't the fans for not liking something different, it was the game being a bad experience.

Shahed

And that's everyone's hidden potential unlocked! Well everyone I can unlock at this point anyway. Only missing Audrey, Musaad, the guy you get with 1m money and any random recruits that haven't appeared yet. I forgot how absurd Lynn was with Hard Worker and getting an extra action. Especially since I gave her the Ruhm.

And Valkyria Chronicles II was an abomination every which way. Utter disaster.

Triple dip. Preordered and fully paid. Now the waiting game :)
Lucky NA and EU got some special edition. Asia, not so much.
I want at least the steelbook

Which country are you in? I've seen pics from retailers in SG and HK with the NA steelcase edition. Also India on the other hand is considered EU region for PS4 games so India got the Europa edition.

Owensboro

Hell yeah! So pumped this game is coming out. I lost my PS3 copy because I kept loaning it out to people (they had to play the secret best PS3 game after all!) and was never able to finish all the DLC I ended up buying. Can't wait to beat this game a second time/

was on the fence about this then saw the price on PSN being 15.99...

gives me an excuse to finally finish it! is there any particular Wiki or resource that would help with the best people for each class etc?

Elven_Star

Picked up my copy today. It's the same price as other games over here sadly. In fact, I got Uncharted 4 for a lower price! Well, this game is worth $60 for sure so, no complaints. It just shows what happens when there's no official distribution channel.

u8ZbLBH.jpg

My copy shipped Monday and says coming on Weds. (Amazon US)
I am fine because I am in no mood to play games tonight.

Cannot wait to dig in, since I beat Ratchet I haven't played any new games.

Top Bottom