• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vampire: The Masquerade MMO (CCP/Eve Online) finally being revealed maybe today!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Horsebite said:
Vampire: The Masquerade was awesome purely for the Storyteller multiplayer mode. I had so much fun with that. I hosted custom campaigns and played as the DM. It was really innovative and I haven't seen anything like it since. Neverwinter Nights MP came close, but wasn't nearly the same.
Yeah, the original VtM game was awesome for that despite its flaws.

teiresias

Knowing EVE I fully expect the ability for one clan to possibly be completely eradicated from the game.

Can someone explain to me (or point me to a source that can explain) the changes between 90s WoD and the new version. Though I never actively played I bought quite a bit of the source material and rule books back in the day because it was such a great, rich setting.

I loved the first Vampire game, Redemption (which had a bit of the Dark Ages stuff in it), but never got to play Bloodlines. Bloodlines is on my list the minute I finish the new PC build I'm planning (moving back from Mac).

"Surprised we haven't seen whitewolf games with how popular the paranormal has been in other media."

We have. See the previous 2 Vampire games.

Radogol

Teknopathetic said:
"Surprised we haven't seen whitewolf games with how popular the paranormal has been in other media."

Wasn't Hunter: The Reckoning also a White Wolf game? So there's three at least.

And around five hundred canceled Werewolf games for various platforms ;)

charsace

Teknopathetic said:

There really hasn't been too many paranormal games released the last decade. The paranormal setting hasn't been explored by western devs like I hoped it would be. The best we have seen so far is the L4D games. We get tons of big budget scifi games every year. Not enough in regards to the paranormal at all.

i am brain washed by WoW, I don't know what to expect MMO based on a European RPG series about Vampires my brain hurts at how the dialog will work with NPCs

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
If its anything like Eve, ill have to pass. i dont see a player run game with vampire clans and stuff going very well. Actually the whole WoD universe doesnt lend itself well to the MMO genre, imo. The game system is called Storyteller System for a reason.

Dennis

Banned
Technosteve said:
i am brain washed by WoW, I don't know what to expect MMO based on a European RPG series about Vampires my brain hurts at how the dialog will work with NPCs
Isn't WoD american?

Too bad its an MMO. I wish we would get a spiritual successor to Bloodlines instead.

XiaNaphryz

Technosteve said:
White-Wolf's based in Georgia, US.

DennisK4 said:
Isn't WoD american?

Too bad its an MMO. I wish we would get a spiritual successor to Bloodlines instead.
I would love to see a game that combined Bloodline's gameplay with Redemption's multiplayer modes and tools.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Ganhyun said:
I'm really interested to see if they could add in the other White Wolf games into a big world of darkness.
That would be a huge mistake imo. That is one of the most fatal flaws with the WoD. Each game is so busy with its own stuff, things get ridiculously crowded if you add in the full amount of everything else.

So you have this ancient vampiric game of chess going on while were-animals of every stripe are fighting a huge end of the world battle with corruption itself. Meanwhile, the battle for reality is going on between magicians of every kind and technofetishists right here on Earth as well as outer space, inner space, cyber space, psycho space, pocket realities and alternate universes. Then you have the afterlife where a goodly majority of everyone thats ever died ever is clinging to unlife and going about their business, working jobs, making money.. and when time allows trying to work out their mental issues with their real world tethers. Oh yea, fairies exist too.

i love WW games but its just so convoluted and crowded if you read the material you have to ask yourself if there are any humans in the WoD :lol

Shanadeus

Banned
I don't know much about the universe but it does it lend itself to time based skill progression like in EVE?
The older your character is the more powerful they get.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Shanadeus said:
I don't know much about the universe but it does it lend itself to time based skill progression like in EVE?
The older your character is the more powerful they get.
Yes older Vampires (and generally all races are more powerful the older and more experienced they are) are more powerful than younger ones. However you also have to take into account the generation the vampire is as well as who sired him/her.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
golem said:
Comparisons to Bloodlines are retarded, its a MMO. Hopefully it will live up to the franchise

An MMO full of high quality dialogue like Bloodlines might make me pay attention to what the NPCs are saying instead of just skipping through it all to get to the quests.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
HK-47 said:
An MMO full of high quality dialogue like Bloodlines might make me pay attention to what the NPCs are saying instead of just skipping through it all to get to the quests.

Oh my god yes.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
charsace said:
There really hasn't been too many paranormal games released the last decade. The paranormal setting hasn't been explored by western devs like I hoped it would be. The best we have seen so far is the L4D games. We get tons of big budget scifi games every year. Not enough in regards to the paranormal at all.

L4D is sci fi not paranormal. The Infected arent even undead.

Mako_Drug

Trailer looked great, very Bloodlines which is the only game of theirs I played. Incrediblly excited, despite knowing nothing about it >_>

golem

HK-47 said:
Unfortunately 99% of the players would skip it to get their grind on, so it's probably not worth it to do.

Shanadeus

Banned
HK-47 said:
Yes older Vampires (and generally all races are more powerful the older and more experienced they are) are more powerful than younger ones. However you also have to take into account the generation the vampire is as well as who sired him/her.
Perhaps CCP will go with a dual system, where experience is both literally experience (the longer your character manages to survive, the stronger it is) as well as earned through various other methods. A sort of mix of the time based skill system in EVE and performance based skill systems most other MMOs have.

teiresias

What if character creation allowed you to have reference numbers given out by current players that essentially meant they were your sire. This would help dictate your initial inner circle and even some of your starting abilities since it would also determine how many generations away from Kain your character was.

golem

teiresias said:
What if character creation allowed you to have reference numbers given out by current players that essentially meant they were your sire. This would help dictate your initial inner circle and even some of your starting abilities since it would also determine how many generations away from Kain your character was.
That would be cool, but potentially difficult to balance.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
My God, I thought it was fun to read about the drama in EVE. But the drama in a Vampire MMORPG with clan politics being the main play mechanic?

It might actually be worth it to subscribe just to be a journalist/nosferatu/voyeur.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
teiresias said:

Thats part of the PnP character creation process. You can purchase different starting traits including lower generation (lower generation means greater potency of blood).

As for experience points, if youve ever played Bloodlines thats pretty much how it is in the actual games. You get xp based on objective completion during a story. No combat or grinding based xp gains. How they are going to go about this in the MMO who knows? Making it like Eve is kind of dumb because vampires get more powerful with age because they have more experience from doing things, not because theyve just lived longer.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Of course the Fledgling in Bloodlines sort of knocks the whole system on its head, but they hinted at why that might be true.

Shanadeus

Banned
water_wendi said:
Thats part of the PnP character creation process. You can purchase different starting traits including lower generation (lower generation means greater potency of blood).

As for experience points, if youve ever played Bloodlines thats pretty much how it is in the actual games. You get xp based on objective completion during a story. No combat or grinding based xp gains. How they are going to go about this in the MMO who knows? Making it like Eve is kind of dumb because vampires get more powerful with age because they have more experience from doing things, not because theyve just lived longer.
I'd really only like it to be like Eve so I could get a head start this time :lol
XP based on objective completion doesn't sound so bad, I had this idea where paying attention to the dialog actually mattered (randomized clues and hints could for an example be found from what they talked about or something) and rewarded you in your effort to become part of the story.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
What will indeed be interesting to see is how the balance between the elements of the original PnP game, Bloodlines' additional combat mechanics, and the new EVE/MMO angle all mesh together.

They've been working on this for a long time, so I have faith, but I can already see an EVE-like system leading to huge turn-offs for the casual or WoW-reared MMO kiddies.

IMO, while a vampire political clan would be amazing to have, the combat will be key to whether or not the game survives. And that's what would make things difficult.

If you as happen to end up Clan Leader, or in any position of power, how would the game handle other PCs attempting to overthrow you, how would you combat something like that if you were offline?

I've never played EVE, so I don't know how things work there, but it could a huge potential turn-off.

Granted, this is all massive speculation, since I haven't seen anything in the tweets about adopting a similar style to EVE, but I guess I'm just hoping for something a bit more similar to Bloodlines than not. Wishful thinking, I suppose.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
golem said:
Comparisons to Bloodlines are retarded, its a MMO. Hopefully it will live up to the franchise

I was thinking that when I typed my first reply, but even though they will be very different games Bloodlines is still the apex of what can be accomplished with the World of Darkness lore. More than just the amazing dialogue, the atmosphere is about as genuine and convincing as it could be.

I dont so much hope for Bloodlines 2 (secretly I do) as I hope for a World of Darkness game with similar high quality and atmosphere.

I've been waiting on something new about this forever. I hope we get an official announcement with, hopefully, screens and lots of info soon.

XiaNaphryz

EatChildren said:
I was thinking that when I typed my first reply, but even though they will be very different games Bloodlines is still the apex of what can be accomplished with the World of Darkness lore.
Single player maybe. A really good multiplayer scenario campaign setup and run by an excellent Storyteller in VtM Redemption is still unmatched.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
My dream game is a Mage: The Ascension RPG in which creating an exceptionally vulgar paradox causes your xbox to red ring in real life.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
XiaNaphryz said:
Single player maybe. A really good multiplayer scenario campaign setup and run by an excellent Storyteller in VtM Redemption is still unmatched.

Mitsoda should be storyteller for all games.

Wiktor

I''m so happy they used the old World of Darkness setting. As much as I liked the ruleset changes in Requiem, the lore of Masquerade is just so much better.
And it makes sense to start from Vampires only, other races will propably be added later on.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
AdrianWerner said:
I''m so happy they used the old World of Darkness setting. As much as I liked the ruleset changes in Requiem, the lore of Masquerade is just so much better.
And it makes sense to start from Vampires only, other races will propably be added later on.

Shame. No Prometheans and I like The Lost better than the Dreaming.

I look forward to Wraith and Mage though.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
AdrianWerner said:

Me too. I don't care for the new world that much. It's just funny because I remember White Wolf saying something a while back about how they'd never go back to the old world :lol

Wiktor

Kagari said:
Me too. I don't care for the new world that much. It's just funny because I remember White Wolf saying something a while back about how they'd never go back to the old world :lol
I think the only game that measures up to it's old version is Changeling, but even there it's very debatable. Sure, the old WoD was a mess for a crossover games, but the depth of the particular games lore was insane and filled with tons of great juicy details that the new version simply lacks.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
I'm disappointed it's not the more than just vampires, considering how long it's been in development hell.

AdrianWerner said:
I think the only game that measures up to it's old version is Changeling, but even there it's very debatable.
Agreed, but the redone(?) Wraith is a interesting. Gheist is a lot less grimdark.

Wiktor

subversus said:
I don't give a slightest fuck

no Troika no Masquerade
Why? I could understand if they were the real creators of the IP, but they just licensed an existing product, nothing more.

Top Bottom