• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita OLED burn in.

RM8

Dont compare $700 phones to $199 handheld. Compare $199 handheld to $199 phones or $199 3ds. And yes, the vita screen looks leagues better than other $199 devices.
I'm comparing OLED vs LCD, what are you talking about? And OLED is a more expensive technology than the LCD Sony uses on their phones and tablets anyway.

Derpstar

Banned
Dont compare $700 phones to $199 handheld. Compare $199 handheld to $199 phones or $199 3ds. And yes, the vita screen looks leagues better than other $199 devices.

I'm comparing the screen on my Vita (which has burn in) with the screen on my Nexus 7 right now, and it definitely does not look "leagues better."

plasmasd

Not sure why Sony didn't go with non-OLED screens like with their phones and tablet. They're pretty great and colorful, maybe cheaper, and without these issues.

The new super bright sony LCD screens have bad image retention. It's actually worse than OLED in my opinion. I have a Sony Vaio 11 that temporarily burns in the screen with a static object after 5 minutes. My Vita on the other hand has been fine since launch. At least the image retention does go away after awhile, but its very very annoying

Ponn

Banned
Have had Vita since launch no burn in problems. Use web browser alot many times a day, in fact posting from it now.

Have some slight burn in, though I'm not sure what the source is. Might be The Walking Dead pause menu (didn't make sure I put it to sleep probably).

Utilize that sleep function people.

RM8

The new super bright sony LCD screens have bad image retention. It's actually worse than OLED in my opinion. I have a Sony Vaio 11 that temporarily burns in the screen with a static object after 5 minutes. My Vita on the other hand has been fine since launch. At least the image retention does go away after awhile, but its very very annoying
If it goes away then I wouldn't say it's worse than burn in. Also my Vaio, Xperia P and Sony Tablet S don't have this issue.

Drizzt519

Banned
I have burn in from the...navigation bar on the right side of the browser. I look at the browser a lot. Ive tried leaving it on a white screen for a couple hours but its still there.

Its not bad, I never notice it in a game or anything. Just a bit annoying knowing its there.

Here is a picture. I never even noticed that its along the top of the screen from the address bar.

xgu.png

QaaQer

I'm comparing the screen on my Vita (which has burn in) with the screen on my Nexus 7 right now, and it definitely does not look "leagues better."

Although I do like the high pixel density on the nexus 7, oled is the superior technology. LCDs are kinda like glass that has 3 color filters per pixel. Light has to shine through them to show color. OLEDs don't require backlight: each pixel shines by itself when it is told to. Thus, when you want to show color, OLED is punchier because the material is MADE of that color, whereas the LCD is simply a glass that's transparent and then tinted with one of the primary RGB colors. When it comes to black purity, OLEDs have perfect blacks since they're essentially "off" (not really, but the point is there is NO light AT ALL) and therefore black is actually black. Even on the best LCD, the blackest black you could obtain is really a very dark grey: since the backlight is still needed to produce color, the screen tries to filter as much light as possible to give you the darkest black it can, but it will never be actual black since you can't filter all the light, thus ending up with some really dark grey instead.

And I think it is leagues better because I value the punchy colors and 100% black blacks. ymmv.

I was charging my Vita the other day, and I came across it a couple hours later with its screen on. For some reason, sleep mode never kicked in. The end result is: I have a few of the bubbles burned in. Ugh.

Gxgear

Funny this thread makes it back on the front page, I was actually trying to catch a glimpse of burn-in on my local Best Buy's demo units. Couldn't find any.

RpgN

I started noticing a dark square in the middle of the screen, mostly when checking PMs and in the home menu. I don't browse too often but skype is used for hours, which is probably the cause.

Is this a burn-in and can it be fixed?

goldenpp72

I started noticing a dark square in the middle of the screen, mostly when checking PMs and in the home menu. I don't browse too often but skype is used for hours, which is probably the cause.

Is this a burn-in and can it be fixed?

Burn in really can't be fixed, image retention can be, I don't think the Vita really has issues with image retention but I could be mistaken.

And this is why I'm wary of getting a Vita even though the price drop made it super tempting. Has there been any word about variations in any of the panels used for any of the Vitas? Are there any best practices to prevent this sort of thing from ever happening at all? If it's reasonably possible to maintain a pristine screen then I'll be all over getting a Vita this year, otherwise I'll probably wait until it's a bargain bin console or this gets fixed.

Railer

Picked up a Vita the other day and been really enjoying it. I have some pretty bad Mura effect on it, but I only really see it when the screen is totally black and the lights are of in the room so it doesn't really bother me. Some people say the mura effect gets better the more you use it?

BAW

Banned
And this is why I'm wary of getting a Vita even though the price drop made it super tempting. Has there been any word about variations in any of the panels used for any of the Vitas? Are there any best practices to prevent this sort of thing from ever happening at all? If it's reasonably possible to maintain a pristine screen then I'll be all over getting a Vita this year, otherwise I'll probably wait until it's a bargain bin console or this gets fixed.

I understand that sooner or later Sony will replace the Samsung OLED screens with their own Triluminos LCD screens as part of the "One Sony" strategy. It will also make Vita cheaper to manufacture.

Even my high end LG 60 Plasma has burn in. or near permanent retention. it sucks:( people told me burnin was not a thing anymore on plasma.!!! meeehhh!!!!!!!!!11111111

My brand new Vita has very weird-looking Mura (looks like a short rectangle with a perfect drop shadow), this part doesn't really bother me.

However, my brand new Vita also has a vertical line of blue pixels in the upper right corner. I thought OLED wasn't prone to stuck pixels? This is kind of annoying because I got the 3G/Wifi version, and I'm afraid I'll have a hard time finding anything other than a Wifi-only model if I want to exchange it.

Tayaya

Have had a Vita since the Japanese launch. No burn-in issues here, but like everyone I do have the splotches that are visible when the screen goes all-black during loading. Not very many, but they're there. Whenever there is anything at all on the screen though, no matter how dark, they're invisible, so I just chalked them up to a byproduct of OLED in general and not a "vita problem."

sono

Have had Vita since launch no burn in problems. Use web browser alot many times a day, in fact posting from it now.

Same here!. Seriously I use my Vita nearly every day and take it with me most places. Reading about this burn in is nothing I have seen. Do those guys with burn in set the power to never time out or something - you must be charging all the time etc ?

Zing

Banned
It seems very strange that the company would manufacture a game screen that is prone to burn-in. Sony was warning about the use of video games and projection TVs back with the original PlayStation. Maybe they have estimated that the increase in sales due to having a futuristic OLED display plus a very good deal on a source of these screens makes it more profitable to just use OLED and replace any units for consumers who complain.

Even my high end LG 60 Plasma has burn in. or near permanent retention. it sucks:( people told me burnin was not a thing anymore on plasma.!!! meeehhh!!!!!!!!!11111111
Yes, the "new TV" thread is filled with plasma fanatics who swear there is no burn-in on new panels. Don't believe the hype.

QaaQer

So I should never play the Vita for long periods of time? or is it just about not leaving a static image?

static image. and this thread is way overblown.

I understand that sooner or later Sony will replace the Samsung OLED screens with their own Triluminos LCD screens as part of the "One Sony" strategy. It will also make Vita cheaper to manufacture.

cool. source? And One is such a bullshit corporate buzzword.

It seems very strange that the company would manufacture a game screen that is prone to burn-in. Sony was warning about the use of video games and projection TVs back with the original PlayStation. Maybe they have estimated that the increase in sales due to having a futuristic OLED display plus a very good deal on a source of these screens makes it more profitable to just use OLED and replace any units for consumers who complain.

Yes, the "new TV" thread is filled with plasma fanatics who swear there is no burn-in on new panels. Don't believe the hype.

Plasmas have about the same problems as CRTs did. Yes it can happen, but it isn't common although you should be aware of it. Personally, games that have permanent hud elements on screen, I limit to 1 hour per day on my plasma, and I always run 15 of scrolling white bar after.

As far as Vita goes, I really don't care that much because it is so cheap. Having said that, I have no burn-in either.

Vita screen is a cheap Samsung, what else to expect. I'm surprised by the amount of posts saying the screen is gorgeous. IPad or nexus might be considered gorgeous...not the vita junk.

I really disagree with this. The vita's screen does look fantastic under normal conditions. Regardless of if it's a cheap Samsung or not. Don't get me wrong, my iPhone 5 and Nexus 7's screens are both gorgeous as well.

As far as the burn in, I always had my vita set to auto-lock/sleep after 1 minute of inactivity. Can't imagine why people would want it on more draining juice. And the browser is absolute crap. I use it to search for tips on games I play every now and then just because I don't feel like reaching for my iPhone. But generally it's a piss poor mobile browser.

Holy hell this thread has been informative :) I was constantly in fear of Plasmas for burn in, I had no clue they had that many technical advantages over LCD.

Is there a recommended plasma that gives sub 50ms of display latency?

Because I'm definitely lodged in the camp of OLED, the color's on this thing are beyond gorgeous, games like Limbo benefit on a massive scale with the gorgeous black levels and such.

Same here. Panny plasma, still has burn-in from Dark Souls and I've not played it on that TV in over 6 months!

It's always unfortunate reading these kinds of posts, but there are a lot of people and even professional tech writers who mislead people on the topic of burn-in. It's still very much a real thing, even on 2013 plasmas. I remember going on the AVS Forums in 2003, and people telling me burn in was "no longer a problem on modern plasmas". lol

10 years later. Same shit.

DedValve

Banned
This makes me scared to play Guacamolee.

It for some retarded reason has a constant black bar above it that serves no other purpose other than for a tiny health bar while the rest of the top is just black. What the fuck?

Plasmas have about the same problems as CRTs did. Yes it can happen, but it isn't common although you should be aware of it. Personally, games that have permanent hud elements on screen, I limit to 1 hour per day on my plasma, and I always run 15 of scrolling white bar after.

So in other words you carefully babysit your tv. No thanks.

Please don't claim plasmas are as durable as CRTs. It's simply not true.

Just a curiosity my vita ever since I got it used. It has a weird burn, bubbles when the screen goes dark scattered across. However it has not bothered me most of the time since I havent been in a game that has been dark most of the time. So only notice during loading screens.

darkwing

storafötter;78437505 said:
Just a curiosity my vita ever since I got it used. It has a weird burn, bubbles when the screen goes dark scattered across. However it has not bothered me most of the time since I havent been in a game that has been dark most of the time. So only notice during loading screens.

It's normal for oled screens especially on black loading screens

shandy706

I could never have plasmas in my house. I go with mid to high end LED HDTVS across the 4 rooms I have them mounted in. 3 of the 4 have PCs hooked up to them, the one in our room is my gaming rig.

I can't imagine the amount of burn-in they would have (if they were plasmas) between my daughters PC setup on her TV and my gaming rig in our bedroom.

It's always unfortunate reading these kinds of posts, but there are a lot of people and even professional tech writers who mislead people on the topic of burn-in. It's still very much a real thing, even on 2013 plasmas. I remember going on the AVS Forums in 2003, and people telling me burn in was "no longer a problem on modern plasmas". lol

10 years later. Same shit.

yes. AVS forums is where I looked up what model to buy. It really sucks. Because I love my TV, and it cost me 5000 dollars. You don't want to be afraid a piece of equipment that expensive.

Also it was the highest flagship LG model of its time (5 years old)

And I did the thing with the pictures for 100 hours.

Yes. Plasma has a much superior color spectrum in my opinion. It pops out more, but I don't think it was worth it. I still love my system but I don't understand how a lot of people could tell me "it aint a thing anymore".

And then it totally being a freaking thing:(

Rubius

So I saw this morning that my vita battery were red, so I went to plug it in, but there was an update. So hey, let's do the update too. I start the update and go to sleep. I wake up 8 hours later... screen of the vita is wide open and bright with the button update complete.
Why. Now I have to update content manager to figure out if its burned in or not.
Why does it not go to sleep mode after a while after an update, even more with the high risk of burn in?

Gamespawn

So I saw this morning that my vita battery were red, so I went to plug it in, but there was an update. So hey, let's do the update too. I start the update and go to sleep. I wake up 8 hours later... screen of the vita is wide open and bright with the button update complete.
Why. Now I have to update content manager to figure out if its burned in or not.
Why does it not go to sleep mode after a while after an update, even more with the high risk of burn in?

As long as nothing's touching the screen or sticks or buttons, the Vita should go to sleep on it's own.

ss_lemonade

Lucky me I have no burn in problems as well (unless I just never noticed them lol).

What somewhat irritates me now though are the vertical lines you see when viewing solid color images. Is this an oled thing too, or just specific to the vita because I don't see that on my amoled phone (I get the splotches on both phone and vita).

Top Bottom