• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita OLED burn in.

The point is that it didnt to me and millions others, and I use it daily and know about the issues the tech has. If it eventually happens, I'll cry some and let GAF know in the Vita thread. But it still doesnt make it a common and widely spread issue.

Change burn in with RROD and Vita with 360 and it's like traveling through time!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The lines mostly appear on grey colors. Lower brightness makes them easier to see.

Only time I ever see them while playing is when I look at the sky or something in Uncharted on a night/low light level. They pop up all over while watching videos (Dota 2 has an entire side of the map that is pretty grey). Also the Vita confirmation boxes that are grey/blue colored make them visible aswell.

There have been a few discussions I've found about it, and also about phones with similar screens that show the same issues. I don't think it's hugely common but I don't think it's as rare as something like this burn-in. My guess is a lot of people just don't notice it.

There were a few people with the issue here. and from there someone linked a phone discussion here. The vita discussion is a little disappointing to read because of the people trying to dismiss the problems as if the people that have them have hate the Vita or something.
Oh I know what it looks like, but honestly, my launch unit does not have this issue. I have, however, seen this with other OLED displays. I have my Vita with me now and just tested with a whole slew of colors even.

Dec

Oh I know what it looks like, but honestly, my launch unit does not have this issue. I have, however, seen this with other OLED displays. I have my Vita with me now and just tested with a whole slew of colors even.

Yea, I was just hoping to shed some light on the issue in general, as they aren't really mentioned when stuff like the black blobs come up. I'm sure it's a small amount of Vita's with this issue.

In the end they aren't really a big deal and I've tolerated them for around 5 months easily, even though I'm able to get a replacement.

Sorral

Just recieved my second Soul Sacrifice vita and compared it to the 1st. Again they both have vertical lines across the screen but not as noticeable as the 1st one. So either all screens on vita have this or quality control @ Sony is terrible. They also both suffer from Mura in the dark but my second one has some black Mura dot, I thought the dot was a dead pixel but can't be because when vita is not displaying a dim or dark picture I can't see it. Bottom line is who ever gets a decent vita screen is probably extremely lucky. I've read posts of people exchanging 4-7 times and in the end of the day it still was far from perfect. You have to choose what and what you can't deal with. For me I chose to keep the vita with dot on screen that's only visible on certain occasions with the slightly less noticeable vertical lines.

I thought the OLED screens came from Samsung?

I have a few black spots on my Vita's screen since day 1 that are luckily not distracting most of the time. The few times they were distracting though....my OCD was firing like hell about it, but really took a lot of black screens back to back, but I don't even remember the game now, so meh.
I used to Skype a lot on it and so far no burn ins/mura effect. I gotta keep this in mind the next few times I use it or turn on the webcam I guess.

Dec

I thought the OLED screens come from Samsung?

I have a few black spots on my Vita's screen since day 1 that luckily not distracting most of the time. The few times they were distracting though....my OCD was firing like hell about it.
I used to Skype a lot on it and so far no burn ins/mura effect. I gotta keep this in mind the next few times I use it or turn on the webcam I guess.

The black spots appear when the ambient light in the room is low as well as the screen brightness (black loading screen).

dark10x

I thought the OLED screens came from Samsung?

I have a few black spots on my Vita's screen since day 1 that luckily not distracting most of the time. The few times they were distracting though....my OCD was firing like hell about it, but really took a lot of black screens back to back, but I don't even remember the game now, so meh.
Still, I prefer the "mura" effect to the blazing bright backlight you get with an LCD. Only in a very dark environment can you see the mura effect on the Vita screen whereas, most of the time, it appears totally black.

Sorral

The black spots appear when the ambient light in the room is low as well as the screen brightness (black loading screen).

Yeah, that's when I see them. Loading screens or intro/labels screens. Hardly distracting there though. I am going to recheck which game it was they were apparent in during gameplay.

Still, I prefer the "mura" effect to the blazing bright backlight you get with an LCD. Only in a very dark environment can you see the mura effect on the Vita screen whereas, most of the time, it appears totally black.

While I agree with you on the too bright backlight, I will still ask if you have seen the Crystal LCD or not since you mentioned the backlight issue. It uses self-emitting screen instead of a backlight and it is supposedly 10 times faster than a regular LCD. These displays are not out though (Sony showed them at last year's CES if I remember right) and I have no idea if their cost will be competitive vs LCD or even an OLED.

Zhengi

Now I know why Disgaea 3 makes me take long breaks in between game plays. I just hope mine doesn't get this burn in either :(

Cha

Was in a bit of a panic mode when i read the comment about leaving the Vita screen on standby. I always do that. I only have very feint vertical lines and slight graininess that is only noticeable on flat colours at less than full brightness (gray being the worst).

One thing I have noticed is that my Vita is duller than my friends Vita at full brightness. It's slight, but enough to notice. I don't think it's because we use different screen protectors, so I'm a bit bummed about that. I mostly play with the brightness halfway.

Mr_B_Fett

Bottom line is who ever gets a decent vita screen is probably extremely lucky. I've read posts of people exchanging 4-7 times and in the end of the day it still was far from perfect. You have to choose what and what you can't deal with. For me I chose to keep the vita with dot on screen that's only visible on certain occasions with the slightly less noticeable vertical lines.

Pretty much this, I went through a couple of Vitas before getting one with a screen that was acceptable to me. I also rejected a couple of GT30 plasmas before getting one I was happy with. Of course I am the kind of chap that has bought both a Vita and a Wii U so perhaps everything I touch just turns to crap...

dark10x

While I agree with you on the too bright backlight, I will still ask if you have seen the Crystal LCD or not since you mentioned the backlight issue. It uses self-emitting screen instead of a backlight and it is supposedly 10 times faster than a regular LCD. These displays are not out though (Sony showed them at last year's CES if I remember right) and I have no idea if their cost will be competitive vs LCD or even an OLED.
I have not seen these. It sounds promising to me, certainly, and I hope it delivers.

datamage

You're mad.

F*ck LCDs. Cannot wait until they eventually disappear. The worst technology for gaming that survives simply because people don't know any better. LCDs are the Toyota Camry of display technology. Reliable, cheap, but lacking in all areas of performance.

Couldn't agree more. LCD tech has been terrible for gaming. Sure, response times have gotten better, but guess what? They still blur. Not to mention that the speedy LCDs make sacrifices to achieve this.

It's a shame some people have issues with their Vita screen, however, I would not care for one with an LCD screen. That would be quite a step backwards.

Yikes. Day 1 Vita here, no probs so far thankfully, and Ive used mine at least 2hrs a day since I got it. I'll make sure to turn off my screen when not using it like I usually do. lol

I love how one guy claims he has this happen to him, now it's a widespread problem. Overreaction: the thread.

Its a Vita thread on Gaf...I'm more surprised this hasn't turned into a sales thread....yet...

Shai-Tan

Banned
Now I know why Disgaea 3 makes me take long breaks in between game plays. I just hope mine doesn't get this burn in either :(

To have a really obvious "burn in" from differential aging the same (fixed) elements would have to be on screen for ages and in contrast to the other elements on screen (e.g. white web pages against black menu in the browser). Otherwise when you get more uniform aging the screen just appears more dull (separate from the OLED issue of colors having different properties that cause them to age at different rates). Anyway this type of thing happens over many years, depending on how heavy the use.

edit: and Sony may want to rethink their browser a bit because it's similar to what a lot of televisions experience from being hooked to cable boxes which have an interface with solid contrast differences and fixed elements (although it's exacerbated by lack of screen saver or automatic power down)

I think I got a tiny amount of burn-in with my 2 year old Samsung Infuse phone, but I never really noticed it during actual use of the phone.

I honestly find the Crosstalk issue with the 3DS screen's 3D (it's sort of a double image caused by bright 3D object in front of a dark background) to be a much more annoying issue. Games like Mario 3D Land can compensate by having bright colors 99% of the time, but games like OoT 3D can get pretty bad in spots. Navi flying around you in a dark dungeon makes it looks like there's three of them flying around.

Of course you can just turn off the 3D for games that it gets bad in, so it's not an unfixable issue on the 3DS, you just lose out on the 3D (which I do enjoy).

KillerAJD

Well shit, haha. Thanks to this thread I checked and sure enough there's a small amount of burn in on the right side of the screen where the browser bar is located. I use the thing a ton to check gaf while I'm in bed. Luckily it's so faint you have to really look hard to see it, but it still stinks.

Until it happens to your Vita.

I've got a darkened 1/6 or 1/4 in. Section (strip), on the right portion of my screen. The line/section seems positioned about where the browser panel appears. I'm of the belief that the entire tab burnt in, it's faint - but it's there. I feel your pain.

Still love my Vita though.

I figured mine was from constant browsing, sometimes for several hours (GAF)....

Did you leave your screen on? I'm not sure how the images would've burnt into yours if it wasn't lit/static...

Anyhow, don't let this cloud your love of the device. Phone Sony and see if they'll help you out :0)

Neff

OLED is excellent tech, but it still has a long way to go before it's ideal from a consumer point of view, and its featuring in Vita is typically Sony-esque 'cutting edge for the sake of cutting edge' at the expense of practicality.

I'm really surprised to read about people having used their Vita browser at all after the first day let alone frequently. Huh.

The Mura effect thing is totally trippy but I only see it when playing at night in bed with the lights off so it's a novelty more than anything. Hopefully I don't encounter the issue the OP has at some point. I'd be gutted.

I'd never use the vita browser if I could help it. Sounds like that was a good idea due to the issues people are having.

pixelbox

I thought it was just image retention, not burn in. Dude, that sucks.

Yeah it is. I had it happen to me, you just can't unsee it. It's def the browser. I've done some research and as you guys know it's because of the the blue sub pixels mostly. The pixels degrade over time so if anything on your screen is dark or black, they will be the pixels to last longer since the pixels are not in use or lightly used. What you see there is a section of the screen brighter than the rest. That's because the chemicals for those pixels burned slower than the rest of the screen.

DR2K

Banned
I've got a darkened 1/6 or 1/4 in. Section (strip), on the right portion of my screen. The line/section seems positioned about where the browser panel appears. I'm of the belief that the entire tab burnt in, it's faint - but it's there. I feel your pain.

Still love my Vita though.

I figured mine was from constant browsing, sometimes for several hours (GAF)....

Did you leave your screen on? I'm not sure how the images would've burnt into yours if it wasn't lit/static...

Anyhow, don't let this cloud your love of the device. Phone Sony and see if they'll help you out :0)

I was downloading an update for PSallstars, turned the screen off and went to bed, woke up and saw it like that. I don't leave my screen on unless I'm playing it.

FrankWza

this is pretty crazy to hear about. i know the miura thing is just something you have to deal with with OLED and most everybody has the grey vertical lines on their vitas. i didnt think burn in was possible. damn.

FrankWza

I was downloading an update for PSallstars, turned the screen off and went to bed, woke up and saw it like that. I don't leave my screen on unless I'm playing it.

when you download updates, dont you need to have the screen auto shut. otherwise it wont download right? i know when im downloading, i set my screen to auto shut in 1 minute. otherwise, its always on 3 minutes.

DR2K

Banned
when you download updates, dont you need to have the screen auto shut. otherwise it wont download right? i know when im downloading, i set my screen to auto shut in 1 minute. otherwise, its always on 3 minutes.

It downloads when I hit the power button to shut the screen off.

Jinko

Hmmm guess I won't be getting a Vita anytime soon, they need to implement pixel shifting, although I'm not really sure that will solve it.

Would you guys prefer a standard LED screen with no burn in or an OLED with a possibility of burn in, just out of curiosity ?, Did sony make the wrong choice ?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I double checked last night as much as I use the browser I don't have any burn in. This isn't much of an issue now but I do suspect after a long time it will be. I wouldn't be worrying or base your decision to get a Vita over that since this hasn't been an issue at all.

knitoe

Hmmm guess I won't be getting a Vita anytime soon, they need to implement pixel shifting, although I'm not really sure that will solve it.

Would you guys prefer a standard LED screen with no burn in or an OLED with a possibility of burn in, just out of curiosity ?, Did sony make the wrong choice ?

Pixel shifting is more a gimmick than a real fix. Usually, the HUD covers a large area. Shifting a few pixels while most of the HUD shows the same image does little.

Personally, I prefer no burn in. Once it's there, I won't be able to unsee it and would drive me nuts.

spwolf

there are at least hundred million oled screens on smartphones and other devices right now... I think it is safe to say it is not a big issue and people should not over-react.

there are at least hundred million oled screens on smartphones and other devices right now... I think it is safe to say it is not a big issue and people should not over-react.

You really shouldn't use smart phones as an example, its a huge problem on smart phones, i personally have the keyboard permanently appearimg on my nexus

FrankWza

I downloaded mutliple things when the screen off. Recently the update for PSallstars. Which was 800mb.

right. but youre saying you manually turned it off. that does not work. you would need the sleep timer to turn it off in whatever time you have set it to. maybe you left the screen on that day or you have it set to manually turn off after a long period of time. otherwise, the update that caused your burn in would not have finished downloading

edit. ten minutes is the longest you can set it to auto-off.

DR2K

Banned
right. but youre saying you manually turned it off. that does not work. you would need the sleep timer to turn it off in whatever time you have set it to. maybe you left the screen on that day or you have it set to manually turn off after a long period of time. otherwise, the update that caused your burn in would not have finished downloading

edit. ten minutes is the longest you can set it to auto-off.

I probably did turn sleep timer off at some point.

surly

Banned
Is the Super AMOLED screen of the Galaxy S3 using the same tech as the Vita's screen?

When I played The Pinball Arcade on my Nexus 7, it would cause horrible screen retention issues due to the table background basically being static and on screen for a long time. I could see a ghost of the pinball table for about 20 minutes after exiting the game, before it would finally fade away. But I've not had any issues like that with my S3 with the same game.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

It couldn't be that big of an issue. Otherwise these smart phones would all have app logos burned into the screen.

Top Bottom