• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is the best looking PlayStation console?

What is the best looking PlayStation console?

• Total voters

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
PSOne, the smallest, sexiest, most portable home console without a built-in screen ever made.
OG PS1 follows closely with its truly iconic design.

Seriously people, PS2?
PS2 is an ugly, flimsy, anonymous slab of black plastic.
And PS2 Slim is by far the ugliest of the family. It looks like a mismolded wafer of the cheapest plastic available. My reaction at seeing one is usually this:

mrw GIF

damidu

playstation-3-slim-2012-all-playstation-consoles-altar-of-gaming.jpg

For my money its gotta be this guy, the size, form factor, and price were just perfect. I got my ps3 right after this model came out. It was the first console i bought with my own cash.
yeah it’s so obviously this.
come on people! whats with the poll results

still can’t believe they went from this to that atrocious super slim

Last edited:
1. ps2 slim
2. ps2
3. ps4
4. ps4 slim
5. ps1
6. ps1 slim
7. ps3 slim
8. ps3 super slim
9. ps3
10. ps4 pro
11. ps5
12. ps5 de

the upcoming ps5 SLIM

maxresdefault-5-860x484.jpg
seriously. if that's any indicator of what the PS5 slim will look like then it'll go straight to 3 or 4 on my list. sony should buy the design off whoever made this mock up. i don't trust Sony anymore since the PS4 Pro and now the PS5.

ps5-slim-goedkope-playstation.jpg

sony-ps5-slim.jpg

I always thought the Phat PS2 was pretty ugly, slim was a huge improvement.
when PS2 came out it looked soo cool and futuristic. the slim is an improvement and looking back now it's my #1 playstation console but when the OG ps2 design was first shown it was so ahead of it's time.

Last edited:

Erebus

Nothing touches the original PS2 imo. It was way ahead of its time and the pinnacle of Sony design. PS2 slim follows of course.

I also like the original PS1 (nostalgia plays a huge part), the original PS4 and the PS4 Pro.

Reactions: KU_
The PS2 (and the slim) was the first console I owned that looked like a legitimate piece of consumer electronics, not a children's toy.

Reactions: KU_
Ps2 Slim, ps3 original, ps4 original, PS vita and psp.

I confirm that the design of ps5 is horrible.
Now with the experience of installing it is tedious to put it from vertical to Horizontal.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Original PS2 is the best by far. PlayStation, PS One, PS2 slim, and original PS4 are pretty good. The rest are fugly IMO

PS5 (disc version) is the worst. Not only is it ugly, it’s also comically huge and requires a stand just to set it horizontally.

Crayon

The slim ps2 is just a dinky copy of the original. I like the fat better now. To look at, that is. I keep a slim ps2 and have no fat model, largely because of space. I keep the slim ps2 and wii on the shelf like they were books. Other consoles have to be kept in drawers.

I've always been fond of the original PS2 design. Back in the day at launch it was unlike anything I'd really seen for console design before, and that rotating PlayStation symbol for whether the console is horizontal or vertical was a simple and brilliant touch.

The slim PS2 also deserves a shout. It did everything the original did (with added Ethernet & Progressive scan DVD playback) but was pretty much the size of a DVD case

ReBurn

Gold Member
1. ps2 slim
2. ps2
3. ps4
4. ps4 slim
5. ps1
6. ps1 slim
7. ps3 slim
8. ps3 super slim
9. ps3
10. ps4 pro
11. ps5
12. ps5 de

seriously. if that's any indicator of what the PS5 slim will look like then it'll go straight to 3 or 4 on my list. sony should buy the design off whoever made this mock up. i don't trust Sony anymore since the PS4 Pro and now the PS5.

ps5-slim-goedkope-playstation.jpg

sony-ps5-slim.jpg

when PS2 came out it looked soo cool and futuristic. the slim is an improvement and looking back now it's my #1 playstation console but when the OG ps2 design was first shown it was so ahead of it's time.
I would replace my PS5 with the one in black in a heartbeat.

I never thought that the PS2 looked futuristic. It was like a DVD player to me.

Probably PS2. I like the Slim, but I just love the disc tray for some reason.

Something I love about Sony is they never just make a box. There's always something about their systems that add character to them. It's part of what makes them appealing. Something some console makers have forgot to do.

PS5 DE. one of the only ones i haven't owned on here.

functionally i hate the PS5 design with how tall and wide and heavy af it is. And how it lights up the whole room with the LED that u can't do anything about

but just looking at it i think it looks cool design wise

I wonder where these two would rank for GAF:

Sony's prototype Nintendo console pitch(Cartridge and Disc slot):

3229700-7901236236-28998.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

PSX(A JP Only release of PS2):

maxresdefault.jpg

60eean19z7v61.jpg

The PSX is what I was hoping the PS5 would look like, which would be similar to the dev kit's size but with a filled in section where the cutout "V" is.

acm2000

never really liked any of the playstation designs but the PSOne was always a cute one, hate all the ps2/3/4/5 versions tho.

soulbait

Between the PS4 Slim/Pro and PS2. Both of them blend well into an entertainment center and will age well overall in their design aesthetic. PS2 will give off a retro vibe, but it did not try too hard to look "futuristic" so it has aged more gracefully than others and still looks nice.

The original PlayStation design, looks like what most consoles look like from that era: like a toy. It is not bad, but you see "gaming console" when you look at it. However, from that time frame, both the PlayStation and the original black N64 look great. The colored N64s (especially the yellow Pikachu one) scream toy, but the black one was similar to the PlayStation to me.

The original "George Foreman grill" PS3, is just ugly, IMO. Too big and stands out too much (I do not want my video devices to stand out). Also, the design did not age well, IMO. Compared to the launch 360, I will rather have a 360 in my living room. However, that design did cause heat issues overall, so even though PS3 was ugly, at least it cooled properly.

PS3 slim variants look better, and probably right under the PS4 Slim/Pro and PS2 in ranking for me, but I still do not like how the disc drive section is.

PS5 is the console design I dislike the most. Especially the disc version (which I have). I do not want my toys to be the focal point of my living room. It is hard for it not to stand out (I am hoping to get the black cases for it soon, which will help some). If I had it in a gaming room, with gaming posters and shit like that on the walls, maybe I wouldn't mind it as much, but in a living room, it just does not fit well, IMO.

soulbait

Original fat ps3. So cool.
White and ceramic colors too!

Ps5 looks great to me personally. At least it's not another black box. Wouldn't say it's the best looking thing ever maybe

I think it depends on the room. I prefer black boxes that you don't notice in my living room, LOL.

Top Bottom