• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When do we expect Nintendo NX to be revealed?

AmyS

This topic has been discussed multiple times, while many of us assume that NX will be announced between very late August and early November. If is not announced by then, I think it is likely the NX is really not releasing in March 2017. It will likely be held for Fall 2017.

Where it will be going up against a box of scorpions.

Part of me thinks it'll be mid December. A quiet, snowy day and Nintendo decides to do an early morning Direct with two week's notice.

That or November 18th. I feel like Nintendo tends to release things on November 18th*

This may not, in face, be true.

jdstorm

Banned
Launch day in March at the event where they show all the new smartphones.

The probably a price drop or an XL version at E3 to be the main selling unit for christmas

Neiteio

LAUNCH TITLES:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: First on NX by a month. Featuring improved interface with clickable scroll-wheels for quickly selecting items. Also has superior performance: native 1080p, locked 60fps, abundant AA, virtually unlimited draw distance, etc.

Splatoon 2: Turns out they fast-tracked development on a sequel within mere months of the first game becoming a phenomenon in Japan! All-new single-player campaign and co-op campaign (local and online), proper local multiplayer for up to four players, mixed local and online multiplayer, and multiplayer mode in single-player against bots. All modes, maps, gears and weapons return — plus just as many new ones. New hairstyles and leg-wear (i.e. trousers, shorts, skirts, leggings, etc) add more style. Custom emotes, graffiti tags, and personalized hideouts allow for further expression. Use the full range of amiibo to unlock special themed gear and weapon skins!

Animal Crossing NX: Zoom in/out and turn the camera 360 degrees in the field, seeing the backs and sides of buildings. A ground-level camera option immerses you in the action! Landscape front yards and backyards, bound by your choice of fences, hedges, brick walls, etc. Throw BBQ block parties, pool parties, etc. Adjust the lay of the land in your town by moving cliffs, rerouting rivers, etc. Use your mayor powers to lay down roads and sidewalks, and zone districts: residential, business, orchard, farm, etc. Work a variety of side jobs that are minigames unto themselves to make extra money. Go hiking in the woods, spelunking in caves (full of rare gems, fungi and fossils) or climbing mountains for recreation (in addition to the tried-and-true island escape). All items return, plus just as many new ones, and most items now have interactive features. Use amiibo to unlock special items and more! ALSO: Up to four players can share the same town, living in separate houses, exploring together in split-screen. Friends across the Internet can also share the same town!

Oh, and NX is a shared device family, so you buy one propriety high-capacity cartridge and it'll work both on your next-gen Nintendo handheld and next-gen Nintendo console, scaling down and up accordingly.

YEP.

October, as a birthday present specifically for me.

Really, though, I'd wager between August and November. Nothing particularly special about my opinion.

RK128

Likely this August or September, with the following being shown.
-System Design & Controller
-UI For the System
-Hints at how the Handheld will work
-Nintendo Launch Line Up (Zelda, Wii Sports/Wario Ware Team Project, New IP/Pikmin 4) + Third Party Partners (Just Dance, Sonic Anniversary, Capcom's Monster Hunter, Atlus's Persona 5, Square Enix's DQXI, ect)
-Release Date (March 2017) and Price (200-250$)

Tagg9

Paper Mario comes out on October 7, and then there's basically fuck all for WiiU up until Zelda. So I would guess the week following, or October 11 specifically.

Late August/Early September announcement.

Will be a handheld/home console hybrid with the home console as strong as a regular PS4 and the handheld slightly stronger than a Vita. Controller is traditional, but has scrolling bumpers. Price is around 299 US for base console, 199 for handheld.

Launch games: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild, Pikmin 4, Animal Crossing NX, a small-budget new IP, Luigi's Mansion 3, Smash Bros NX.

Announced games: New Mario (screens only), Bayonetta 3, Dragon Quest XI, Sonic, Monster Hunter, some big western game (not exclusive), a big-budget new IP, Spla2n.

March release date reaffirmed. Apology for the Wii U.

Ck1

Banned
I actually think we will hear about system specs and potential launch titles fairly soon, but I don't think the concept of the system will be revealed until a little later...

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Will be a handheld/home console hybrid with the home console as strong as a regular PS4 and the handheld slightly stronger than a Vita. Controller is traditional, but has scrolling bumpers. Price is around 299 US for base console, 199 for handheld.

Launch games: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild, Pikmin 4, Animal Crossing NX, a small-budget new IP, Luigi's Mansion 3, Smash Bros NX.

Announced games: New Mario (screens only), Bayonetta 3, Dragon Quest XI, Sonic, Monster Hunter, some big western game (not exclusive), a big-budget new IP, Spla2n.

That would easily qualify as the best launch lineup of all time.

Add in some Square games like KH3, FF7 Remake, and FFXV and you got a deal from me.
(KH3 at least for me)

The Wii U is getting its very last exclusive games this year. If Nintendo delays the NX another eight months, with nothing to compensate for it, it'd be their stupidest blunder ever.

And they know it. Barring divine intervention, we're going to see a proper reveal September-ish..

That would easily qualify as the best launch lineup of all time.

To be honest, I was lowballing. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild is basically a lock, and Pikmin 4 is apparently close to completion. Animal Crossing NX is a bit of a stretch, though considering there was no Wii U Animal Crossing, some of the development on that version (if there was any) probably dribbled over to the NX version. A small-budget new IP like BoxBoy or Pushmo would be a cheap way to add a little to the console lineup. Luigi's Mansion 3 is probably my biggest guess, but it was apparently in development for Wii U, so a quick transfer to NX wouldn't be out of the cards, and Smash Bros NX would also be a Wii U port. With how barren the Wii U's lineup has been, my theory is that all the good games that would have been 2016 Wii U releases (Luigi's Mansion 3, Zelda) have been ported to the NX to create a successful launch lineup.

Wensih

To be honest, I was lowballing. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild is basically a lock, and Pikmin 4 is apparently close to completion. Animal Crossing NX is a bit of a stretch, though considering there was no Wii U Animal Crossing, some of the development on that version (if there was any) probably dribbled over to the NX version. A small-budget new IP like BoxBoy or Pushmo would be a cheap way to add a little to the console lineup. Luigi's Mansion 3 is probably my biggest guess, but it was apparently in development for Wii U, so a quick transfer to NX wouldn't be out of the cards, and Smash Bros NX would also be a Wii U port. With how barren the Wii U's lineup has been, my theory is that all the good games that would have been 2016 Wii U releases (Luigi's Mansion 3, Zelda) have been ported to the NX to create a successful launch lineup.

You'd think that with the current dearth of games on the Wii U that Nintendo is going to launch the NX with a slew of titles.

I'm guessing they'll have Zelda and ports of Wii U games ready at launch. Newer entries to franchises will be delayed when they realize production costs and development teams will need to be increased while also trying to find a way to implement the new technology that they are trying to push (probably the saddest part about the Wii U was Nintendo underestimating the amount of work goes into modern game development).

MK_768

Right before TGS I think.The Japanese console market has taken a massive decline in recent years and I think they may want to try and bring it back.

Grief.exe

LAUNCH TITLES:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: First on NX by a month. Featuring improved interface with clickable scroll-wheels for quickly selecting items. Also has superior performance: native 1080p, locked 60fps, abundant AA, virtually unlimited draw distance, etc.

Splatoon 2: Turns out they fast-tracked development on a sequel within mere months of the first game becoming a phenomenon in Japan! All-new single-player campaign and co-op campaign (local and online), proper local multiplayer for up to four players, mixed local and online multiplayer, and multiplayer mode in single-player against bots. All modes, maps, gears and weapons return — plus just as many new ones. New hairstyles and leg-wear (i.e. trousers, shorts, skirts, leggings, etc) add more style. Custom emotes, graffiti tags, and personalized hideouts allow for further expression. Use the full range of amiibo to unlock special themed gear and weapon skins!

Animal Crossing NX: Zoom in/out and turn the camera 360 degrees in the field, seeing the backs and sides of buildings. A ground-level camera option immerses you in the action! Landscape front yards and backyards, bound by your choice of fences, hedges, brick walls, etc. Throw BBQ block parties, pool parties, etc. Adjust the lay of the land in your town by moving cliffs, rerouting rivers, etc. Use your mayor powers to lay down roads and sidewalks, and zone districts: residential, business, orchard, farm, etc. Work a variety of side jobs that are minigames unto themselves to make extra money. Go hiking in the woods, spelunking in caves (full of rare gems, fungi and fossils) or climbing mountains for recreation (in addition to the tried-and-true island escape). All items return, plus just as many new ones, and most items now have interactive features. Use amiibo to unlock special items and more! ALSO: Up to four players can share the same town, living in separate houses, exploring together in split-screen. Friends across the Internet can also share the same town!

Oh, and NX is a shared device family, so you buy one propriety high-capacity cartridge and it'll work both on your next-gen Nintendo handheld and next-gen Nintendo console, scaling down and up accordingly.

YEP.

Fuck.

Gleethor

I'll be pleasantly surprised if Nintendo's 1st party launch plans include anything more than Zelda, Smash 4 complete and a more casual oriented title showcasing the systems new features ala Nintendoland. They absolutely need a heavy hitter at or near launch that you can't play in any form on Wii U, but I have zero confidence that they'll deliver based on their last few hardware launch lineups.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I heard before it was publically announces it was not going to be at e3 that the big reveal was TGS (which I thought I pinged Niro about but I'm not sure that message actually went through). Then again, I can't say anything with full confidence simply because things have changed or have been in flux so much I'm not certain of anything exact right now ::shrug::

I heard before it was publically announces it was not going to be at e3 that the big reveal was TGS (which I thought I pinged Niro about but I'm not sure that message actually went through). Then again, I can't say anything with full confidence simply because things have changed or have been in flux so much I'm not certain of anything exact right now ::shrug::

At TGS itself? Uncharacteristic as many pointed out Nintendo hardly ever goes there aside from Iwata's keynote in 2005 where he unveiled the Wiimote.

Clessidor

I think they will a Digital Event around September/Oktober showing off the concept of the console and announcing the launch line up. Also they will invite the press to them to play the games. Similar like the Post-E3-event they do every year here in Europe.

Afterwards they hype the thing through social media, probably one or two directs before release. I would also expect them to do a Nintendo World Championship in late January/February to hype the NX. Would be a great opportunity to do so and to announce a few more games. (probably)

LAUNCH TITLES:

YEP.

Dude.

This would be amazing.

Top Bottom