• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

When do we expect Nintendo NX to be revealed?

Eolz

Teaser it's fucking nothing but here's a date so don't spend all your cash during the holidays or already stack up on amiibos: mid October

Some accidental dev leaks: November, December

Whoops Ubisoft accidentally blew the lid off the major gimmick: January

Please be excited hasty full reveal: February

Release US: May
Release Japan: June
Release Europe: What's Europe

It's releasing in March and Nintendo isn't Sega/Atlus, they know really well Europe.

gamerMan

Most people thinks September, I tend to agree:
- Direct or Conference prior to TGS dates (Sept. 15-18th)
- Press or public events starting the following month.

I think the reveal should happen on September 23, the birthday of the company.

spekkeh

Banned
There's no way they wait till next year for a proper reveal. But I guess I'm assuming the thing is coming out in February or March. If it's more like May, then maybe. :(
I really don't see them releasing in March, they'd have to ask people to get hype as they are nurturing their wallet hemorrhage and families are battling over their post-Christmas divorce. Then more importantly the one paramount 100% thing they need to achieve is go into the 2017 holidays on a wave of mouth to mouth success stories. This will be a make or break for the console, they emphatically do not need sales to slump considerably before that. The first sales will go to the core Nintendo fans. They will play Zelda and then rave on about it to casual gamers. If this happens in April and casuals think oh cool I'll get it at Christmas, and then the hype dies down by June, sales start slumping by August, people will lose interest in this thing of early 2017 while the next big thing of late 2017 draws their attention.

I was being pretty optimistic about May because I really, really need this NX console, but they would be smarter to release it at the end of summer, so the core hype flows directly into the casuals hype.

It's releasing in March and Nintendo isn't Sega/Atlus, they know really well Europe.
I grew up in the eighties/nineties, I will never not nurse a prehistoric grudge.

Hilarion

I think "announce in September, release in March" is quite reasonable, actually. Announcement Direct in September introducing the system and its launch lineup, followup Direct in January announcing the rest of the 2017 lineup and presenting updated looks at the games announced in September. Meanwhile have Miyamoto and Reggie do all the late night shows, the early morning shows, etc.

In January, after all of the Christmas sales furor has died down, have Gamestop, Best Buy, and the like (just pointing out Best Buy because Nintendo seems to be on good terms with them) have NX playable displays, maybe with a 10 minute Zelda demo.

Banned
It'll likely be it's own thing and Nintendo will invite the press. I hypothesize they'll want to avoid PAX West and TGS and the long weekend in September so either late August, after Labour day and before TGS or in October.

I think "announce in September, release in March" is quite reasonable, actually. Announcement Direct in September introducing the system and its launch lineup, followup Direct in January announcing the rest of the 2017 lineup and presenting updated looks at the games announced in September. Meanwhile have Miyamoto and Reggie do all the late night shows, the early morning shows, etc.

In January, after all of the Christmas sales furor has died down, have Gamestop, Best Buy, and the like (just pointing out Best Buy because Nintendo seems to be on good terms with them) have NX playable displays, maybe with a 10 minute Zelda demo.

I couldn't agree with this more. I don't see any use in them going all in on advertising this holiday. The sooner they reveal NX, the more dead time they'll have between the reveal and their marketing push. The wait hurts, but I'd rather they get the message across as clearly as possible. Revealing early could just confuse the message.

Teaser it's fucking nothing but here's a date so don't spend all your cash during the holidays or already stack up on amiibos: mid October

Some accidental dev leaks: November, December

Whoops Ubisoft accidentally blew the lid off the major gimmick: January

Please be excited hasty full reveal: February

Release US: May
Release Japan: June
Release Europe: What's Europe

Wrong.
Nintendo doesn't hate europe. In fact, this last two generations NoE has treated better their audience than NoA.

You are confusing them with Atlus.

This is the only correct answer.

B1cWb8b.gif

Best post

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
If it really is coming out in March, I agree with everyone saying the reveal in September, as (late) third-party dev kits could start shipping and leaks are seemingly inevitable. Wouldn't that be quite late for launch title dev kits though? I'm no expert, but I don't see how they avoid leaks if they decide to wait until the end of 2016.

Wrong.
Nintendo doesn't hate europe. In fact, this last two generations NoE has treated better their audience than NoA.

And that's despite lower sales in Europe than NA by far. That was indeed a very misguided complaint.

MuchoMalo

Banned
I really don't see them releasing in March, they'd have to ask people to get hype as they are nurturing their wallet hemorrhage and families are battling over their post-Christmas divorce. Then more importantly the one paramount 100% thing they need to achieve is go into the 2017 holidays on a wave of mouth to mouth success stories. This will be a make or break for the console, they emphatically do not need sales to slump considerably before that. The first sales will go to the core Nintendo fans. They will play Zelda and then rave on about it to casual gamers. If this happens in April and casuals think oh cool I'll get it at Christmas, and then the hype dies down by June, sales start slumping by August, people will lose interest in this thing of early 2017 while the next big thing of late 2017 draws their attention.

I was being pretty optimistic about May because I really, really need this NX console, but they would be smarter to release it at the end of summer, so the core hype flows directly into the casuals hype.

I love this argument that keeps coming up, like Nintendo is just going to suddenly realize that March is bad at some point and delay it.

Additionally, if NX can only keep hype going for a couple of months it has much bigger issues which won't be solved by a delay. There's a possible benefit to launching early in the year as well since it means more games for holiday buyers, a much lower change of shortages, and possibly a Black Friday sale. It's not black and white.

spekkeh

Banned
Wrong.

You are confusing them with Atlus.

Best post
GameCube

NA November 18, 2001
EU May 3, 2002

Wii

NA November 19, 2006
EU December 8, 2006

Wii U

US November 18, 2012
EU November 30, 2012

Facts, how do they work.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
GameCube

NA November 18, 2001
EU May 3, 2002

Wii

NA November 19, 2006
EU December 8, 2006

Wii U

US November 18, 2012
EU November 30, 2012

Facts, how do they work.

Are you serious? A couple weeks difference in release date is nothing, especially since Europe is a weak link saleswise for Nintendo. Even Japan got the Wii and Wii U after NA, and the original DS as well for that matter. Meanwhile NOE treated Europe to what became the Operation Rainfall games earlier and properly, Another Code/Trace Memory and Hotel Dusk sequels, a Tingle spinoff of the Zelda series, Disaster: Day of Crisis, a physical release of Fatal Frame/Project Zero:Maiden of Black Water, and more.

He wasn't talking about the GameCube gen or prior.

clem84

Gold Member
There were some rumors at one point about an early 2017 release. I just think that's extremely unlikely. Since they decided not to unveil at E3 and launch this year, I think it's very likely it will be unveiled E3 2017 and launched holiday 2017.

It's not going to be in July because no press are talking about a Nintendo press event. They are just going to invite people a week before it happens - that's ludicrous. And surely, surely they aren't going to reveal it in a Nintendo Direct...right?

spekkeh

Banned
Are you serious? A couple weeks difference in release date is nothing, especially since Europe is a weak link saleswise for Nintendo. Even Japan got the Wii and Wii U after NA, and the original DS as well for that matter. Meanwhile NOE treated Europe to what became the Operation Rainfall games earlier and properly, Another Code/Trace Memory and Hotel Dusk sequels, a Tingle spinoff of the Zelda series, Disaster: Day of Crisis, a physical release of Fatal Frame/Project Zero:Maiden of Black Water, and more.

You guys are taking a joke awfully serious. Fact of the matter is, Europe always gets consoles later than the US.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I grew up in the eighties/nineties, I will never not nurse a prehistoric grudge.

Why is Spring always discounted? At least in Europe I thought it was one of the biggest shopping times of the year aside from Christmas

JB2448

There were some rumors at one point about an early 2017 release. I just think that's extremely unlikely. Since they decided not to unveil at E3 and launch this year, I think it's very likely it will be unveiled E3 2017 and launched holiday 2017.
36l.jpg

http://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/de...-updates-on-mobile-nx-and-the-legend-of-zelda
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/160428/04.html
These are far from rumors. Whether or not Nintendo will meet its own planned release month is a valid question, but it's not a rumor by any stretch of the imagination.

If they are indeed still planning for a March 2017 launch, then I've got to believe it'll be unveiled by the end of September. October at the very latest.

I think they'll have a presence at TGS (possibly similar to Iwata's keynote in 2005), and also hold their own event around the same time to showcase the software.

Champion

Revealed in Jan 2017 and released in May.

I also dont think we'll see or get any new info about the new Zelda until the NX reveal.

LordRaptor

Why is Spring always discounted? At least in Europe I thought it was one of the biggest shopping times of the year aside from Christmas

Easter bank holiday weekend is the second most important retail date after the pre/post christmas boom in the UK, certainly.

-shadow-

Facts, how do they work.

Yeah! And let´s not forget: Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Another Code R, Last Window The Secret of Cape West, Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland, Disaster Day of Crisis, Inazuma Eleven Strikers (multiple), Pikmin 2 NPC, Project Zero 2, Maiden of Black Water physical, Limited Editions, Japanese language for Spirit Camera, SMM hardcover book, the Virtual Console.

VS? A Fire Emblem delay?

Banned
We need Matt to do a vague post in this thread lol.

"Earlier then you expect, later than you hope"

gafneo

Banned
Hmmm remember that NBC Universal deal Nintendo was making awhile back? When does NBC usually make announcements for TV? Nintendo was suppose to do a Nintendo Land type theme at their park. I just heard about Dyack and Kevin Levine working on TV based gaming projects. Could it be that Nintendo is going to make episodic cable games merged with television networks. The TVii may have just been a foot in the water.

E3 2017. It won't come out in March.

Why? 3DS and other gaming platforms has been released in March. It is long enough after Christmas and not to near to summer.

If NX does not release in March in would be Oct or Nov.

But everything, including Nintendo several times, points to a march 2017 release

GameCube

NA November 18, 2001
EU May 3, 2002

Wii

NA November 19, 2006
EU December 8, 2006

Wii U

US November 18, 2012
EU November 30, 2012

Facts, how do they work.

What? did you even read what I posted?
And how so is having a console mere days later (or less than a month for the Wii, BTW, all this good teatment of NoE came during the Wii, not in the GC gen, but I suppose you understand what, 2 gens ago meant) than america is treating europe worse?
Reading comprehension, how does it work.

Thanks for explaining it better than I would have done.
Shibata is a good president for us. Probably prefers not losing customers by treating them well, that treating them badly because sales are not as strong.

Huuuuuuuuuuuge grain of salt for obvious reasons, but 10k is tweeting that it'll be revealed at Gamescom and that this will be announced by the end of next week.

It'll likely be it's own thing and Nintendo will invite the press. I hypothesize they'll want to avoid PAX West and TGS and the long weekend in September so either late August, after Labour day and before TGS or in October.

Huuuuuuuuuuuge grain of salt for obvious reasons, but 10k is tweeting that it'll be revealed at Gamescom and that this will be announced by the end of next week.

Lol

Pokemaniac

It's not impossible, but it seems kinda unlikely. I'm pretty sure Nintendo's Gamescom presence is typically mostly a repeat of its E3 presence.

Nintendo hasn't cared about TGS in years. It doesn't have any bearing on when they do stuff.

With that being said the 3DS and Wii U both had events in September so my money's on September with it being no later than October.

They don't participate in TGS, but they do sometimes time events/ announcements to coincide near or around TGS.

Top Bottom