• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Final Fantasy art style is your favourite?

Crystal Chronicles:

Final_Fantasy_Crystal_Chronicles_battle1.jpg

I have to go with Final Fantasy VIII's also, it's so clean and wonderfully detailed. I really appreciated the art that was put in the title, it really made it much better.

FFIX got a lot of hate for its art style at launch, but I loved it. I thought it was a beautiful game. I also really liked the art style of VI, X, and XII. Oh, actually my second favorite would probably be FFXIV - just gorgeous. And awesome character designs.

IHaveIce

Banned
VII, VIII and XV(seems to be) are my favorites.

Basically anything where the characters don't look like fucking kids or chibis is a huge plus.

Probably IX.

It looks like a very magical world and not all super serious. Not that I don't mind super serious. It seems like the most diverse, mysterious and fun world to run around in.

batbeg

Thought I'd be the first smartass in here saying Crystal Chronicles, but I am happy to be behind. Itahana's an awesome fucking artist and those games are so well realized.

Wazzy

Banned
I forgot to say that I love Yoshida's style. Tactics and Tactics Ogre characters designs were fantastic looking.

iuuk

Tactics and XII, because medieval/Roman (/star wars) style ivalice is great. I'm also kind of partial to IX's style, but dislike the rest. I don't like the kind of brown/dystopian settings much of VII threw at me, and I really dislike the 'more ridiculous is more' philosophy of VIII and X. XIII was just a mix of bland and ridiculous (not a good mix, but at least it was shiny), I don't know about VI and everything older than that needs art work rather than in game style to judge it on.

Wazzy

Banned
Tactics and XII, because medieval/Roman (/star wars) style ivalice is great. I'm also kind of partial to IX's style, but dislike the rest. I don't like the kind of brown/dystopian settings much of VII threw at me, and I really dislike the 'more ridiculous is more' philosophy of VIII and X. XIII was just a mix of bland and ridiculous (not a good mix, but at least it was shiny), I don't know about VI and everything older than that needs art work rather than in game style to judge it on.

Hm? VIII is nothing like X's more wacky designs(which I like). It's probably one of the more toned down entries in the series.

Oregano

I agree.

I know FF9 is favourite on GAF, but I really dislike SD/Chibi art, so I can't say I was a fan of the character design outside of Vivi (who pulled the look off I guess).

FF9 was Itahana.

Really nice to see CC and Crystal Bearers mentioned as well. Awesome art.

krossj

XII. The characters, the intricate world. Game was beautiful and the Judge and Esper designs were brilliant. Those first Isamu Kamikokuryo paintings when it was first announced were mind blowing.

I really like VI and X as well though. Amano's illustrations for VI were great and the general design of Spira especially Zanarkand stood out from FFX. The Aeon designs were neat too.

Almost all the FFs have great Art direction or at least one aspect of design that makes it stand out and look unique.

Toth

Interesting to see so much FFIX love here. I found the arstyle way too childish and cartoony for the themes the game was portraying. Well, perhaps just the character and NPCs are the problem. Amano's IX art is amazing,

kswiston

FF9 was Itahana.

Really nice to see CC and Crystal Bearers mentioned as well. Awesome art.

Those were separate thoughts.

FF XII was my favourite, and I am generally a fan of Yoshida.

I would have liked FF IX design more without the SD characters. I didn't mean to insinuate that Yoshida also did FF9 character designs.

That said, I don't really care for what Bravely default did to Yoshida's designs either, so it's more of a dislike for SD than a dislike for a particular artist. At least the Promo art for Bravely Default isn't SD.

Dice//

Banned
Anything Yoshida does. FFXII in particular:

Also, I love Amano's style, but I've yet to see it translated ingame.

I actually loved when they did that with Yoshida's work in FFTactics on the PSP. I wish they went that route for the equally stylized game "sprites" in Bravely Default, but they instead went with more naturalized/anime CGI people who look like a strange mix of real [anime] people and Yoshida's art.

16-bravely-default-1.jpg

vs.

e3-2007-final-fantasy-tactics-shots-20070710101805563-735810.jpg

And XII is beautifully illustrated, I wish I said that along with IX in my post here.

IX for the more traditional fairy tale look (Crystal Chronicles fits in beautifully with that idea as well)
and XII for beautifully illustrating more medieval/fantasy looks.

iuuk

Hm? VIII is nothing like X's more wacky designs(which I like). It's probably one of the more toned down entries in the series.

I guess it's the gunblade, bizarro jacket and modern setting (which I dislike) that made me lump it in with X's all out wackiness, but you're right that in a lot of ways it's toned down. I dislike it all the same, but you're right that mentioning it as X-like wackiness was not correct.

Top Bottom