• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Final Fantasy art style is your favourite?

All have their unique flavour. I really digged FFX's and XII's world and architecure designs. IX has some beautiful art pieces as well.

Character design I'm fine with all of the main lead artists, too.

Lasdrub

Final Fantasy 6 and 4 Heroes of Light

FF4Heroes-5.jpg

MadLukas

Banned
XIII, due this date the first one is one of the most beautiful games i have ever seen in my life. Am currently allowed to experience the sequel to prepare with all the dlcs.

Cant wait for Lightnings Return.

I'm not a fan of the modern FF that has like, random floating shit for buildings or super convoluted spikey shit on vehicles. So, FFXIII is the worst.

I suppose I am fondest of FF2/6.

undersakura

Neo Member
I'm not a fan of IX's squished character design but the rest of it is good. Dawn of Souls and XII are great.
Not impressed by XV.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Final Fantasy XII and Final Fantasy XIII - both artdirected by Kamikokuryou – are definitely the most amazing works in the series. But I also feel very nostalgic and at home with Naora's works and games like FF8, 10, Type-0 and co. ~
it's an amazing directed series overall btw.

YAWN

Ask me which Shakespeare novel is best
I think the only FF I actually dislike in terms of artstyle is FFX,
Just what the fuck were some of the NPCs wearing in that game. The game itself is amazing though.

A-V-B

No question, FFVI.

Also love the portraits in FFVII. That's what the game needs to look like if it's ever remade. Gotta overhaul that Japanese magazine model stuff 'cause it's so not cool.

Dice//

Banned
I'm not a fan of IX's squished character design but the rest of it is good. Dawn of Souls and XII are great.
Not impressed by XV.

I'd like FF15's cast design more if it wasn't this black-coat mafia of pissy-looking heroes.
Noctis his merry band of "badasses" look like they're pouting or angry 90% of the time (except
Cor Leonis... over-the-top name aside, he's a good-lookin' fella
).

As for why IX is so popular: Nostalgia, for sure. But also I think it takes those "high fantasy" elements and turns them into a very friendly and inviting looking game.

And just to finish up quickly, while I'm not keen on the character designs for FFX (seriously Tidus, overalls?), the concept art for the world design is outstanding.

Wazzy

Banned
Interesting. There's a lot of IX, VIII and Yoshida love. I'm not the biggest fan of IX's character designs but the world itself is beautiful.

Tex117

Banned
Hiroshi Minagawa:

Tactics and Vagrant Story. Final Fantasty XIV: ARR which I really enjoy the art style in that game.

And

Admamo of course.

So perfect.

I think Tetsuya Nomura and his team are the worst thing that has ever happened to Final Fantasy.

Better than his old one for multiple reasons, more thought, less racist ect ect.

I don't

" hey we need a black guy"

" lets just make him mr. t, thats totally not kind of racist "

Also his body is like... better portioned, he has like a cyborg arm, they actually put some thought and effort into the design and made it original rather than just base it on that one black guy they saw on the tv , generally everything is better in the new design. IMO.

If that's the case, all the black guys in FF are pretty racist, AC Barret and Sazh included. I mean, really, how much more an upgrade from a Mr. T flat top is cornrows or a giant afro?

Besides, I think that mesh shirt just looks terrible on him. Particularly the lower part of it. It's almost the same sort of gross design process that lead to Tidus's clothing. "Y'know what this design needs? More netting! Let's make it look like he had a net tossed over him, then he escaped, but is so badass, he just says, 'Fuck it!' and continues to wear it as a badge of honor.".Besides, personally speaking, I think that whole period during the FFVII Compilation was probably Nomura's worst:

ShaluaRui-Artwork.jpg

I mean, look at DoC's depictions of Galian Beast and Chaos compared to the originals:

Updated Galian Beast
FFDoc_GalianBeast.jpg

Updated Chaos
FFDoc_Chaos.jpg

Original Galian Beast
Galian_Beast_FFVII_Art.jpg

Original Chaos
FFVII-Chaos_sketch.jpg

The newer versions seem too over-designed, it sickening. Glad he got past that phase.

KoopaTheCasual

If that's the case, all the black guys in FF are pretty racist, AC Barret and Sazh included. I mean, really, how much more an upgrade from a Mr. T flat top is cornrows or a giant afro?

Besides, I think that mesh shirt just looks terrible on him. Particularly the lower part of it. It's almost the same sort of gross design process that lead to Tidus's clothing. "Y'know what this design needs? More netting! Let's make it look like he had a net tossed over him, then he escaped, but is so badass, he just says, 'Fuck it!' and continues to wear it as a badge of honor.".Besides, personally speaking, I think that whole period during the FFVII Compilation was probably Nomura's worst:

ShaluaRui-Artwork.jpg

I mean, look at DoC's depictions of Galian Beast and Chaos compared to the originals:

Updated Galian Beast
FFDoc_GalianBeast.jpg

Updated Chaos
FFDoc_Chaos.jpg

Original Galian Beast
Galian_Beast_FFVII_Art.jpg

Original Chaos
FFVII-Chaos_sketch.jpg

The newer versions seem too over-designed, it sickening. Glad he got past that phase.
Looks like he was high on that Kingdom Hearts stuff, when he redesigned them, to be honest. There was definitely a phase he went through when everything started looking like Kingdom Hearts. In KH it worked, because the whole premise was ridiculous and charming, but outside of that world where things were supposed to be a little more serious, it looked super ridiculous. His latest work is on point, tho.

xHm4vbG.jpg

This is the pinnacle of of tasteful artistic expression on the part of Square-Enix.
Really anyone who thinks otherwise is just deluding themselves based on rose-tinted nostalgia glasses.

and then you post a disgusting looking, smoothed over 80HqXSal-whatever image from the game.

FOH.

Looks like he was high on that Kingdom Hearts stuff, when he redesigned them, to be honest. There was definitely a phase he went through when everything started looking like Kingdom Hearts. In KH it worked, because the whole premise was ridiculous and charming, but outside of that world where things were supposed to be a little more serious, it looked super ridiculous. His latest work is on point, tho.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt this way. I mentioned it in another thread, but his designs got really sharp and angular during that era. I call it the era of wacky pronged hair, because you get hair that bends in unnatural ways:

Look at his hair!

dirge_of_cerberus_artwork_013.jpg

Hair doesn't bend like that. It doesn't form pronged hooks. It's like Nomura wanted characters' hair to look like tribal tattoos.

You can see it more with his work on Musashi: Samurai Legend
MSL-Musashi.jpg

Nomura, what the fuck were you THINKING?! I love Nomura, don't get me wrong. I know he can create some cool costumes and characters, but when he did stuff during THAT era, it just pissed me off! I truly believed that dark age was ushered in by designs like this:

Nooj.jpg

and continued until Crisis Core(which was probably when that style was basically fading away).

Initiated with the first KH(2002), ignited with FFX-2(2003) and lasted until Crisis Core(2007). Yeah, while it was alright for the KH series(because it's stylized as it is), other than that, that era, in Final Fantasy, was the one that made me wish Nomura would just go away and someone new was brought on board, indefinitely. Hell, getting that taste of Yoshida, I wanted him to replace Nomura(or even get Naora to replace him). Of course, Nomura eventually won me back!

Pallad1um

In terms of character and monster design, I really like the classic games, 6 being my favorite. In terms of world design, I find Final Fantasy XII to be absolutely phenomenal, the architecture is really something. However, I really like modern settings too, like in FFVII and FFVIII.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely anime cyberpunk, but I'd choose FF7 over FF8.

Philia

I agree.

I know FF9 is favourite on GAF, but I really dislike SD/Chibi art, so I can't say I was a fan of the character design outside of Vivi (who pulled the look off I guess).

What's SD? I totally agree with you btw. I'm not a fan of chibi stuff from Akihiko Yoshida. Its infuriating.

Clearos

I liked the art of 8 the best out of the series.

I watched my brother play IX, I could never touch it as i thought the character models were horrible.

Wazzy

Banned
Hiroshi Minagawa:

Tactics and Vagrant Story. Final Fantasty XIV: ARR which I really enjoy the art style in that game.

And

Admamo of course.

So perfect.

I think Tetsuya Nomura and his team are the worst thing that has ever happened to Final Fantasy.
Really? You don't consider ANY of the work done by him from I-XII good?

Dice//

Banned
I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt this way. I mentioned it in another thread, but his designs got really sharp and angular during that era. I call it the era of wacky pronged hair, because you get hair that bends in unnatural ways:

Look at his hair!

Hair doesn't bend like that. It doesn't form pronged hooks. It's like Nomura wanted characters' hair to look like tribal tattoos.

MSL-Musashi.jpg

Nomura, what the fuck were you THINKING?! I love Nomura, don't get me wrong. I know he can create some cool costumes and characters, but when he did stuff during THAT era, it just pissed me off! I truly believed that dark age was ushered in by designs like this:

Nooj.jpg

and continued until Crisis Core(which was probably when that style was basically fading away).

Initiated with the first KH(2002), ignited with FFX-2(2003) and lasted until Crisis Core(2007). Yeah, while it was alright for the KH series(because it's stylized as it is), other than that, that era, in Final Fantasy, was the one that made me wish Nomura would just go away and someone new was brought on board, indefinitely. Hell, getting that taste of Yoshida, I wanted him to replace Nomura(or even get Naora to replace him). Of course, Nomura eventually won me back!

Eugh, I hate Nomura as an artist for this reason.

Japanese designs are usually pretty "out there" to begin with (for better AND for worse in this case); but I don't really "GET" that hair at all. Knowing Japanese developers though, they said "it looks cool!" and left it at that. xP

I DID, however, *love* Roxas' design in Kingdom Hearts. The hair was normal, the clothing was stylish, and the character worked for his context.

I liked FF13-1's Lightning a lot as well. ...But then every design after got worse (13-3 looking like some dreadful combination of Gundam armor, her original jacket turning into some sort of pants-dress, and her pink hair clashing against the rest of that hot mess she was wearing).

Oh, good time to bring this up.
I love FF12's designs, but I want to yell at the CG artists for making Vaan's nipples look like scar tissue.
ff12_vaan.jpg

Dark_castle

Look at his hair!

MSL-Musashi.jpg

Nooj.jpg

ashley-riot-vagrant-story.jpg

What do you make of Ashley Riot's hair?

Dark_castle

What's SD? I totally agree with you btw. I'm not a fan of chibi stuff from Akihiko Yoshida. Its infuriating.

Yoshida wasn't involved in FFIX. It was Toshiyuki Itahana and Hideo Minaba who designed the characters, and Itahana suggested Super Deformed (SD) character models.

zeromuX

Neo Member
I'm going with the art style of IX all the way. Real glad that a lot of people here feels the same. Yoshitaka Amano is surely one of my inspirations when it comes to character designs and the like, but Akihiko Yoshida's style stands out too. I love Yoshida's work particularly on Vagrant Story and FFXII.

Probably X's. I like the Nomura anime-style designs mixed with X's really organic, nature-y, earthy feel.

Spira was also an incredibly well-realized world that really felt lived-in and like it had a lot of history behind it.

I really like XIII, IX, and The 4 Heroes of Light's art styles as well.

Has to be Amano followed closely by Yoshida.

I really don't care for Nomura's designs but his artwork is alright. I really do love his Dissidia designs the best.

When I see that concept art for FFIX, I'm reminded just how weird it is they went in that direction (I mean Hippo people WTF that's not "old school FF"), but I'd love to see a next gen follow up with cel shaded graphics, I think FFIX's whimsical fantasy concept art was really held back by the PS1 hardware.

Philia

Yoshida wasn't involved in FFIX. It was Toshiyuki Itahana and Hideo Minaba who designed the characters, and Itahana suggested Super Deformed (SD) character models.

Oh I know. I don't care about IX much. I was more or less thinking of Bravely Default.

Favorite? It'll change day by day, hour by hour. In terms of background/environment art, I feel like the series from 6 onwards is all great. FF9 and 12 are especially great.

For character designs, I like Yoshida when he does simpler character designs, such as FFT and Bravely Default. I don't much like the ones like FF12 or Vagrant Story. For 12 in particular, there was Balthier and then there was crap. Just not a fan of busy, over-designed characters art. FF8's art is great all the way through. Nomura's really good when he reigns himself in. Looking forward to 15. Amano... eh, his art just doesn't match the tone of the series. FF9's character art was... bad. Some of the 2d art they made was good, but most characters turned out really strange looking, even for such a whimsical setting. I do like Steiner though. His design encapsulates much of what I find funny about medieval armor and fashion.

I like 7's trashy, amateurish designs. Let's see, tank top, microskirt, suspenders, steel-toed boots, elbow pads... what else fell off the truck? And Aeris's (weird, possibly home-made by some one who once heard a dress described) dress that buttons down the front and doesn't appear to have any room for her to move her legs. Actually, amateurish can be extended to every aspect of the game's art, and I love it. Check out the game's silly backgrounds. Way more charming to me than the tiled backgrounds of the 2d games or the heavily compromised environments of the fully 3d games.

Top Bottom