• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Final Fantasy art style is your favourite?

Ushiwaka

IX without a doubt. Dat traditional FF look... Playing the game was like walking in a painting:

25064-final-fantasy-ix-playstation-screenshot-in-a-weapons-stores.jpg

ku-xlarge.jpg

We need a FF IX HD remake :/

Zakalwe

Banned
FFXIV

image_zps1fff2f51.jpg

image_zps74d373c4.jpg

image_zpsd9b511ec.jpg

image_zps785ea758.jpg

image_zps2b66a8ba.jpg

FFIX has one of the most unique designs of the series. I've no idea why so many were disappointed with it, it's vibrant and full of personality.

I really love the general design of FFVII, the mixture of magic and technology and the gorgeous backdrops make for a world that's visually stunning and incredibly varied. It has so much atmosphere.

VIII's character design's are brilliant, and the machinery and weaponry are my favourite in the series. The Gardens are especially great.

Caronte

VIII by far. I love that world and those summons.

XI was also great, especially Chains of Promathia. Sea was beautiful.

Dice//

Banned
We need a FF IX HD remake :/

I don't know if I'd want "current-SquareEnix" to remake it all though... I hope it would JUST be an HD version like FFX is.

But if they did like a full remake of the entire title, all I can think of is how hammy a voiced and newly acted out version of the "You're not Alone" sequence... that, or Steiner going from comedic relief to annoying ass because they make him take his antics to an 11 in a "reimagined" version.

HD: awesome
HD Remake: naaaawww

kswiston

HD: awesome
HD Remake: naaaawww

The PS1 games would need full remakes at this point, as the models aren't really suited to being up-rezed to 1080P (without even dealing with the prerendered stuff). If they are going to take the time to graphically rebuild the game from the bottom up, you know they are going to change other things.

Dice//

Banned
The PS1 games would need full remakes at this point, as the models aren't really suited to being up-rezed to 1080P (without even dealing with the prerendered stuff). If they are going to take the time to graphically rebuild the game from the bottom up, you know they are going to change other things.

What I meant to say was: I don't want voice acting. I'd definitely want the integrity of the original game preserved as best as possible. I love the title, and a full-blown remake of it, while I'd also like it, is something I'd be cautious optimistic (at best) to see. (

...Y'know when it's a classic you know and love, you sort-of "protect" it as that gem it is. :p

I think they forgot everything while making that port, including how to tie their shoes.

Haha love it!

Possible a look into the programmer's work space:
mr-burns-monkeys-typewriters1-640x381-600x357.jpg

Wazzy

Banned
I guess it's the gunblade, bizarro jacket and modern setting (which I dislike) that made me lump it in with X's all out wackiness, but you're right that in a lot of ways it's toned down. I dislike it all the same, but you're right that mentioning it as X-like wackiness was not correct.
Gunblades exist albeit not like Squall's and his jacket is an extremely popular style in the west. :p

But totally fair. I just thought putting it with X was odd because they're so different.

This is one of my favorite gaming related images of all time.

Ahhhh the gardens are such great designs. The whole concept and appeareance are amazing.

Quack835

Neo Member
Final Fantasy XII is my favourite art style. I love the architecture and vehicles. The monster designs are sick too, especially espers!

spirity

9 for me. Wasn't taken on the character designs, just the art direction of the world. I love the wood paneling in the buildings, the sails and propellers on the airships, the shops filled with curious jars and bottles, the homes with tons of minutiae and junk, the stately rooms with drapes and candelabra's. A really nice olde worlde aesthetic that I love.

Juraash

XII by far. Everything is so ornate looking. The judges are fantastic, the ship designs otherworldly and most of the characters are awesome looking too.

X is a close second for me for Aeon design alone. VIII is also high on the list.

Shun

Nearly every Final Fantasy game has top tier art style, it's just making it a reality on the actual game through the sprites or 3D models. Only a few games have really emulated the art style on point.

Xeno_V

IX easily.

So charming, so classic, yet so unique.
VI's artwork is fantastic but if we 're talking only about in-game art then for me IX is a no brainer.

Kazuko Shibuya's fantastic work deserves more credit.

Its weird how Shibuya is in many ways the definitive Final Fantasy artist, but people almost always give credit to Amano instead. As far as I can tell, Amano just did covers and promo art, he didn't design those iconic sprites.

Dice//

Banned

I get bugged-out how they made Stella look more like a 16 year pop idol than her more beta-versions indicated

FFXV-Stella.png

Stella-portrait.jpg

Then again, modern ideas of Final Fantasy "realism" these days make me feel "iffy" as well (FF14:ARR has an option to make your iris' bigger because anime, for example...).

Top Bottom