• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Which Final Fantasy art style is your favourite?

FF IX without a doubt.

Bravely Default is healing my heart now of no FFIX HD with high poly character models (same designs though) or installment in the same vein.

TheExodu5

Banned
Final Fantasy VI's enemy design is gorgeous.

FjYb1cR.gif

CDn3u6Q.png

Ju4nIug.gif

juHRX4T.jpg

I get bugged-out how they made Stella look more like a 16 year pop idol than her more beta-versions indicated

FFXV-Stella.png

Stella-portrait.jpg

Then again, modern ideas of Final Fantasy "realism" these days make me feel "iffy" as well (FF14:ARR has an option to make your iris' bigger because anime, for example...).

Yeah they fucked up with the character design for Stella. Old design was way better.

IX for me, easily. I loved the stylised characters, I loved the Olde Worlde setting, and most of all I loved its mash-up between pristine elaborate medieval architecture and the steampunk nature with its airships and machinery. I wish they'd try to return to this style again, because I pretty much hate it when they try to have 'realistic' characters and worlds.

jetsetrez

If we're talking about art, I definitely like Amano's best. But Yoshida's aesthetics translate to actual in-game visuals much better, and the in-game stuff that comes from Yoshida's work is much, much more appealing to me than Nomura's.

KoopaTheCasual

Yeah they fucked up with the character design for Stella. Old design was way better.
I actually like her new design. I think it's uglier, which makes it more appealing to me, since she was too pretty in her old design. Almost Barbie-esque.

Edit: same reason I like Prompto's redesign. He looks like he's a drug addict. I like that.

Interesting to see so much FFIX love here. I found the arstyle way too childish and cartoony for the themes the game was portraying. Well, perhaps just the character and NPCs are the problem. Amano's IX art is amazing,

You say childish, I say fairytale and classic stylish design. And that was what the story was, a medieval fairytale with great characters. Adult themes can go well with any any artstyle. Doesn't need to have silly japanese pop anime full of belts characters with adult proportions.

Skilletor

FF14 is definitely my favorite by far. Loving the fan packs with wallpapers they're putting up:

Edit: Stupid photobucket. :mad:

There is no doubt, it's Final Fantasy IX.
If you disagree then I'm afraid your opinion is invalid, because you are clearly insane.

OP asks:

Which Final Fantasy artstyle is your favorite?

You post this.

Did not read OP? Silliness such as yours deserves a ban.

Dice//

Banned
You say childish, I say fairytale and classic stylish design. And that was what the story was, a medieval fairytale with great characters. Adult themes can go well with any any artstyle. Doesn't need to have silly japanese pop anime full of belts characters with adult proportions.

Definitely. I felt the type of "fantasy" elements in the story story lent itself better to more exaggerated proportions, fantastical and diverse cast (ex: animal people), and brighter colours than any more "realistic" style could venture into and pull off.

You can't have FF9 unless it looked like that. Think if Nomura did the designs (andgaveeveryonebelts), it just wouldn't "jive".

Soma

Final Fantasy IX's with XII close behind. The art direction for those are just mindblowing. Final Fantasy X also had some really nice locales but everyone seemed to have the worst fashion sense.

Never liked VIII's art direction, personally. It always seemed too inconsistent to me and I'm just not a huge fan of Nomura to begin with.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
No question, VIII

The Paris look of Deling City. The calm soothingness of Balamb Garden and Fisherman's Horizon. The holy shit gothic architecture of Ultimecia Castle.

The monsters and characters look fantastic as well. The male characters are pretty boys without crossing that line of looking like girls that used to be the JRPG stereotype back in the day. You have conventional modern day towns, automobiles, and guns mixed with high sci-fi Gardens mixed with medieval castles and dungeons. It's weird but it somehow works. There's a few exceptions of course. Take this for instance

belhelmel.png

wtf is that even supposed to be? But by and large, it is the sexiest looking FF game. FFX's Asian setting was boring. Didn't help that it lacked the amazing pre-rendered look of VIII and IX. IX has the midget characters. VII has the lego characters. XII looks pretty good too, I'd probably put that in second place. XIII looks absolutely gorgeous, that would have to be third.

Excited for XV because it seems to retain some of that contemporary modern sci-fi setting from VII and VIII.

suzu

FFVI, FFVIII, FFXII, FFXIV, FFT

Mostly medieval settings with a bit of technology. Also more love for Akihiko Yoshida.

Midou

FFT and FFXIV are my favourites.

FFVI and FFIX are up there too.

The DS remakes of 3 and 4 are probably my least favourite.

Oceanwind

Neo Member
VIII is my favorite. I really enjoyed the setting, especially the Gardens. The way they mixed modern and futuristic was really interesting. The character designs were colorful, but not too over the top.

I also liked VII and XII. A lot of the areas in XII were really breathtaking.

rataven

VII wins this for me, though I'd be remiss to not mention I-VI, IX, and XII too. I guess I don't really favor one particular style, though I am excited for XV because it does tend to remind me of VII.

r3z0n

Neo Member
Always been a big fan of Nomura's art, his work on the Final Fantasy 7 compilation and Final Fantasy XV (so far) has been my favorite.

天野 喜孝

Unfortunately it's nothing we've ever seen rendered in a video game, let alone a Final Fantasy video game. How fucking sick would it be if a new Final Fantasy video game actually looked like that.

Goddamn.

Garcia

Tough one. . .

I personally am quite fond of FFVI's general art-style. All the enemies and character sprites (at least in the menu) were loyal to the original artwork conceived by Amano. The last battle with Kefka, man, that was pretty impressive. I was in complete awe at all the details on that behemoth of a tower.

You can't go wrong with Amano really. It's a tough decission since he has a very solid style and most of his work (oustide the games) is pure eye-candy.

Nags

Banned
xHm4vbG.jpg

This is the pinnacle of of tasteful artistic expression on the part of Square-Enix.
Really anyone who thinks otherwise is just deluding themselves based on rose-tinted nostalgia glasses.

terrisus

6, by far.
And, I mean the in-game art, not the Amano art (nor the recent mobile remake).

forest.gif

817059-final_fantasy_vi_phantom_train.jpg

Narshe_town.PNG

Final_Fantasy_VI_Baren_Falls.jpg

Tomb_inside.PNG

670328-final_fantasy_iii.068.png

Opera-House-2.jpg

So beautiful.
No Final Fantasy game since then has been anywhere close to it.

Amano's my favorite, simply because I have a thing for his style of art, and would love to see FF in HD that explores his style of world.

Other than that, all the art styles have their charm and I can honestly say, from Nomura to Yoshida, to Itahana, from sci-fi setting to medieval fantasy setting and everything in-between, I love them ALL.

s_mirage

VII's for me. While I really like the pixel art in IV-VI, I dislike the way Amano draws people, men in particular.

Wazzy

Banned
VII's for me. While I really like the pixel art in IV-VI, I dislike the way Amano draws people, men in particular.

Amano's male stuff is a litle odd but I loved his VIII work. Squall and Seifer both looked great and less feminine. His IX artwork was great too.

I like the art style for all for different reasons. Here are a few:

FFVI: They did a great job trying to emulate Amano's beautiful art into a game, I think it worked pretty well.

FFVII: It's characters are just iconic, and the places you visit are all so memorable. Midgar, Junon, Gold Saucer. Just a fun world explore and to take in.

FFVIII: Everything about this game is down right beautiful. The characters are detailed and consistent. Each town/city is a joy to visit just to see how pretty the next street around the corner is.

FFIX: The exaggerated art style is not for everyone, but it's charming. It definitely helps make the game more fantastical. Anyone who did not play it because they did not like the art style is doing themselves a disservice.

FFX: Love the tropical feel. Everything about the art reminded me that Spira is a world filled with sparkling blue water.

:( I like new Stella, aka Leanne from Resonance of Fate Stella. I thought her old design was too strong. Then again this new one might be too soft. Maybe they will find a nice balance.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
8 and 12. 8's Estar reveal with Squall going to the window as they cut out to show the city materializing still blows my mind to this day.

Top Bottom