• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

why is 'avi' short for 'avatar' when there is no 'i' in 'avatar'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soco

isn't it just one of the ways to make a diminutive out of words. one of the methods is to add long e sounds like 'y' or 'ie' to parts of words? often its added to the whole world, but sometimes the words are shortened as well.

Gustav

Banned
Maybe it's the Germans fault. They shorten everything by slapping an i on there.

Kassette = Kasi
Gustav = Gusti

Sometimes they even prolong the word

Hund (dog) = Hundi

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
My pet peeve:

British people saying "Ninty" for Nintendo.

You can't do that. Stop.

Foshy

Only really saw it shortened as Avi in german forums. In german, people shorten a lot of different words putting an i in the end. E
ven more so in swiss german but that's pretty much irrelevant

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Who the hell uses "avi" as shorthand for avatar?

It's a fucking video extension, you heathens.

It's like "AVatar"

Now try pronouncing that

Ninty is because people think it's cute.

Wanna know what's annoying? When people say "cheers" to mean "thanks" on the internet. Maybe it's a British thing, but an American saying it sounds stupid.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It's like "AVatar"

Now try pronouncing that

Ninty is because people think it's cute.

Wanna know what's annoying? When people say "cheers" to mean "thanks" on the internet. Maybe it's a British thing, but an American saying it sounds stupid.
This took over in Canada. We've been saying "cheers" as "thanks" for about 10 years now.

But we do have the Queen, so we are allowed.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
English diminutives/familiars end in "y" or "ey." However, the word "avy" would look like it's pronounced like "gravy," so the suffix "i" is used instead, as it can denote the same sound as "y" or "ey" at the end of a word.

Also, avatar is often pronounced "avitar," so the spelling avi makes sense to the brain.

Because of how it's pronounced. Similar to how Mary is short for Maria or Mariana. or Tony for Antonio etc.
Mary is not short for anything, it is the English form of Marie/Maria. There is also no English male counterpart to Mary, so the French Marion is sometimes used instead. This can cause confusion though, as Marion is also a female given name in English.

English diminutives/familiars end in "y" or "ey." However, the word "avy" would look like it's pronounced like "gravy," so the suffix "i" is used instead, as it can denote the same sound as "y" or "ey" at the end of a word.

Also, avatar is often pronounced "avitar," so the spelling avi makes sense to the brain.

Mary is not short for anything, it is the English form of Marie/Maria. There is also no English male counterpart to Mary, so the French Marion is sometimes used instead. This can cause confusion though, as Marion is also a female given name in English.

Some people use it as a short form of their name. I have an aunt we call Mary named Maria.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom