• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii3: Apocalypse Redux

ronito

250.jpg

Plus no Zelda?!!!

KennyL

News broke by the New York Times, of course.... videogame press have less power than gamestop catalog.

2500 yen good. $250US not so good....

Dracos

$250 with Wii Sports and hopefully a 2nd controller will sell to any and everyone. And yes thanks to Sony the price probably went up $30-$50 from the original plan.

yilmazz

My prediction was 250$ with wii sports packed in, so.. in your face 150$ people! I would expect a relatively fast drop to 199$ though.. but they could probably sell it for 300 and still sell all consoles at launch, so it sucks but it's pretty clear why it's not going to be as cheap as 150.

Mashing said:
So it's $50 bucks more than poeple expected. Who cares about $50. If you can't afford an extra $50 then you shouldn't be buying video game consoles in the first place. The only problem is the price is out of the impulse buy price of the non-gamers they want to entice. I don't see a non-gamer shelling out that much for a video game console.

Besides, you idiots don't have any idea what the console is capable of so you can't say "but it's not worth it". Chill out. And it's certainly not some "599 US dollars" scale of a mistake. What a bunch of whiny bitches some of you are.

Agree.

Uh how is this a delay??

Nintendo plans to announce that 25 to 30 top-tier games will be available for the Wii this year. The most-anticipated game comes from Nintendo itself: an installment of the long-running "Legend of Zelda" series, "Twilight Princess."

Der Kommisar said:
Why couldn't Nintendo put a little more power in the system? Why is it every time I see a picture of a GOOD LOOKING Wii game I think "Uh looks like an Xbox game".

NINTENDO CAN SUCK MY NUTS FOR 250, ****ERS

and you will still buy it

Twilight Princess still looks really good. I mean, seriously, more tech would be nice, but only shitty developers are giving you shitty graphics. Twilight Princes still looks great.

MiamiWesker said:
Uh how is this a delay??

It's not. People are idiots. Gamespot worded it that it would "be out by the end of the year," (which is all the NYT article says, to be fair) and everyone blew it out of proportion.

MiamiWesker said:
Uh how is this a delay??

The GSpot article says that Zelda will be out before the end of the year which just leads people to thinking its been delayed slightly since they didn't say it'll be out for launch.

Mashing said:
The only problem is the price is out of the impulse buy price of the non-gamers they want to entice. I don't see a non-gamer shelling out that much for a video game console.

I think that's a pretty big problem, honestly, since Nintendo's whole strategy for the Wii is basically to target non-gamers.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Can we restrict this more towards the Japanese event right now? We already have that huge thread for the NYT article.

suaveric

MrNibbles said:
I remember the SNES having an MSRP of 249.99, with a sirprise price drop to 199.99 on/near launch day.
I remember the N64 having an MSRP of 249.99, with a sirprise price drop to 199.99 on/near launch day.
I remember the GCN having an MSRP of 249.99, with a sirprise price drop to 199.99 on/near launch day.

I do NOT think that will happen again, however. Look at what $200 got you back then. Look what it gets you now. Adjusted for inflation from the SNES days, $250 is a steal.

Only the N64 had a price drop before launch.

Juice

Just when I thought being a closet Nintendo fan didn't mean being an S&M fetishee who liked it when Yamauchi got in the gimp suit and started whipping my leather bound flesh: they announce this bullshit.

I'm going to have to reponder and reanalyze how big of a retail splash Wii's going to make in its first year without a very quick price cut following launch now.

Beezy

Father_Brain said:
It's not. People are idiots. Gamespot worded it that it would "be out by the end of the year," (which is all the NYT article says, to be fair) and everyone blew it out of proportion.

You better be right! **** WITH MY ZELDA AND SHIT GETS CRAZY!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
BorkBork said:
Can we restrict this more towards the Japanese event right now? We already have that huge thread for the NYT article.

Has any news come out of that conference yet?

dkeane

Greenpanda said:
I think that's a pretty big problem, honestly, since Nintendo's whole strategy for the Wii is basically to target non-gamers.
Non gamers like to spend $250+ on iPods though. I don't think this price will have any impact on the casual gamers. Especially when they see how much the other consoles are selling for.

PkunkFury

I can understand the price, they can get away with charging 250 at launch since the console will sell out anyway. May as well make the money.

I'm digging the pack in deals, I didn't really want Wii Sports but I will certainly enjoy the 2nd controller if it exsists. The startegy makes a lot of sense. They know N fans will buy the Wii at any price this winter. They expect N fans to pick up Zelda and such. Pack in the game that might get other people to play and force all the losers who pick up launch consoles to own a copy. Nintenod turns their fanbase into a massive PR army. Even though we will get sick of Wii Sports in a few days, I'm sure it'll make a great game for showing the system off to people who stop by over the holidays.

After launch has settled, Nintendo will probably pull the pack in game and drop the price back down to 200 so they can target the new audeince

What really pisses me off is the launch date. Way to late. The Wii should've beaten the PS3 to market.

IGN updated

http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732669p1.html

In a surprise announcement, Nintendo said that it wanted to make Wii a "living room centerpiece" by shipping the system with features outside of the videogame realm. Wil will include a photo channel, enabling users to display their digital photos through the console. It will also boast regularly updates news and weather channels. In addition, the system will ship with the Opera Web browser, enabling users to connect online.

pilonv1

Smiles and Cries said:
IGN updated

http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732669p1.html

In a surprise announcement, Nintendo said that it wanted to make Wii a "living room centerpiece" by shipping the system with features outside of the videogame realm. Wil will include a photo channel, enabling users to display their digital photos through the console.

Wii becomes the paedophiles favourite console. Of course 360 does this already. Nice they're including Opera though.

Top Bottom