• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, that is a really nice OP.

Good job BGBW.

So, quite a few people are saying this is a down season, and winter typically is.

What show are you guys looking forward to the most though?

I'm hoping Dimension W and Grimgar are interesting.

I'm not expecting this to be a down season, though it could always turn out to be. Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu and Erased are really exciting, and Prince of Stride Alternative and Dimension W show some promise. Grimgar should be pretty at least, and Bubuki Buranki and Sushi Police look like interesting CG projects. I'm interested in all the Super Ultra Anime Time shorts, and will probably be checking out Dagashi Kashi. Finally, there's Haikyuu and Teekyuu continuing, plus Osomatsu-san when I catch up to that. Plenty to look forward to.

I missed the 3gatsu no Lion staff announcement.

I'm... conflicted. I don't want Shinbo's box of tricks on one of my favourite manga series, frankly. This is not a head-tilt story.

Umino has enough of a sense of visual creativity herself and a very particular visual design that seems so alien to everything SHAFT does these days. In fact the entire series seems so alien to everything SHAFT does these days - a josei-inflected noitaminA-style story? From SHAFT?

While NHK is undoubtedly a good fit as a network for the story, I'm really quite dubious. I await the first shots of what the show will actually look like with interest.

It's true that Shinbo established a house style at Shaft, and the studio has never worked on material quite like this before. But it's not true that all of Shaft's shows have come out looking the same, and, most importantly, all of Shaft's adaptations (that I am in any position to comment upon) hue closely to the source material in both look and feel, from Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei to Hidamari Sketch to Soremachi. I can't see a reason to be worried at this stage, and am honestly rather excited for what this means for Shaft in general, as it could be a sign that they are finally out from under Aniplex's yoke, where they've been ever since the success of Monogatari and Madoka.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
So i've heard about Ajin, and am wondering if anyone else is alredy familiar with it.
http://kotaku.com/wow-being-immortal-would-suck-1746790028

The premise sounds interesting , but i'm wondering how dark and graphic it is. Just reading the description makes me uneasy, so i don't think i could handle extreme psychological horror.

Not that graphic as far as i know from reading the manga. Sure there's quite a lot of decapitation or mutilation, but nothing too extreme like say, Shigurui or MPD psycho.

Cornbread78

Rosen Maiden ep.1-6
Who would have thought that an anime about a boy and him humanoid doll would be so interesting? Halfway through and they still haven't explained the Alice Game, but the battle scenes are fun. There's also a lOT more comedy than I was expecting as well, which is making this a pretty entertaining watch.

Ascheroth

ge1t3zn.gif

This is totally offtopic, but I totally need to get this excitement out of my system.

I just finished the last chapter of the (shortish) story I've been writing. It's doooooooooooooooooone!! Now I'll need to ponder whether I leave it like that or it needs an epilogue, then read over it and edit and edit and edit and get myself a cover, and...
But who cares about that, it's doooooooooooooooooone!!

Whew.
Move along, nothing to see here.

Cornbread78

Oh, since nobody is watching Rozen Maiden in this "Let's Watch," I need something good for next week. I was going to do Tsuritama, but something better must be out there. If not, I might not bother anymore, lol. What do you guys got for me? Any common shows on everyone's resolution list this year?

This is totally offtopic, but I totally need to get this excitement out of my system.
I just finished the last chapter of the (shortish) story I've been writing. It's doooooooooooooooooone!! Now I'll need to ponder whether I leave it like that or it needs an epilogue, then read over it and edit and edit and edit and get myself a cover, and...
But who cares about that, it's doooooooooooooooooone!!.

Congrats dude. I feel this way when I finish a report in the office, lol.

Defuser

Lets see...

Active Raid
Bubuki Buranki
Dagashi Kashi
Dimension W
Divine Gate
Boku Dake ga Inai Machi
Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash
Myriad Colors Phantom World
Akagami no Shirayuki-hime S2
Haruchika
Durarara S2 final
Gate S2

Probably this are the shows I'm interested in.

Continuing Heavy Object and Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans

Damn, thats alot of shows to keep me busy throughout the week.

kewlmyc

Other than Durarara x3 Third Act and the second cour of GATE, I can't think of anything I'm really excited for this season.

pbayne

ge1t3zn.gif

But who cares about that, it's doooooooooooooooooone!!

Whew.
Move along, nothing to see here.

Congrats. Are you self-publishing it or sending it to a publication? What kind of story is it?

Cornbread78

Other than Durarara x3 Third Act and the second cour of GATE, I can't think of anything I'm really excited for this season.

Just watch Erased with the rest of us. Maybe Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash, Divine Gate or what will surely be "fun-trash" in Phantom World.

Qurupeke

Phantom World will be Inou Battle, but for real this time. Maybe with less OP abilities though. And more stretching.

Cornbread78

Yurie Hitotsubashi was just an average middle school student living in the city of Onomichi on Japan's inland sea in the easygoing times of the 1980s. She spent her days worrying about exams and trying to get Kenji, the clueless boy she likes, to notice her. Then during lunch one day she suddenly announces to her friend Mitsue that the night before she had become a goddess. Their classmate Matsuri quickly latches on to Yurie's newfound divinity as a way to promote her family's bankrupt Shinto shrine. She hopes that replacing their hapless local god, Yashima-sama, with Yurie will make the shrine more popular (and profitable). Now, with Matsuri as her manager, Yurie has to grant wishes, cure curses, meet aliens, and attend god conventions. All the while attending school and working-up the courage to confess to Kenji.

Hmm.. Action? Adventure? Lust? Bloodlust? Comedy? Mass appeal?

Why is it always middle school girls?

tuffy

It's a slice-of-life type show in which Yurie Hitotsubashi discovers that being a god doesn't make middle school life any easier.

It's a good show, and it's something I haven't rewatched in awhile.

Will Definitely Watch

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
Erased
Dimension W
Dagashi Kashi
Prince of Stride
Ajin

Also has anyone made a Erased OT?

Ascheroth

Congrats. Are you self-publishing it or sending it to a publication? What kind of story is it?

I plan on self-publishing it on Amazon (and whatever other sites there are) *crosses fingers*. (Probably something to note: I'm writing in German, not English).
It's a fantasy story about a talentless blacksmith striving to overcome his limitations, a 'wish gets fulfilled but it all goes wrong' type of thing at its core. I think I've mixed it up a fair amount though, with quite a few fantastical elements and my favorite, metaphors and wordplay taken literally.

Line_HTX

It has been 6 hours since I declared that I quit anime. Anime still sucks. Discuss.

Oh you, silly Nekomimi slave! Hey, at least I fulfilled my promise of watching Concrete Revolutio, and I believe Jarmel still has not finished it yet. I'm still gathering my thoughts on the final episode of the season, but I'll have it up soon enough.

I am looking forward to:

GATE S2
Erased
Dagashi Kashi
Phantom World

That's all I got for now. I still have to crunch for last year's AOTY.

Firemind

I don't know about mass appeal, since the events take place in the 80s where the Internet and cell phones didn't even exist yet to the masses. It's definitely a melancholic slice of life show with almost no fanservice and I've been meaning to rewatch it. There's also some hidden nationalism, but I didn't find it to be intrusive. The episode in question is actually pretty fascinating from a historic perspective; how the Japanese dealt with one of the most crushing defeats suffered in WWII.

Tuck

Huh. Theres not one new show that interests me this season.

At least I still have Haikyuu!! and Gundam. Guess I can catch up on some other shows now.

Cornbread78

Every time I watch a PV for this series it looks really depressing. Why does it look so depressing?

It must be those goddamn flashback scenes.

Are they flashback or real-time? We are dealing with time-travel here, so we don't quite know...

Mailbox is putting together the banner and I'm finishing up some of the details for the OT; I'll post it up once it's done, since there is a pre-airing today in Japan.

Andrew J.

Winter Watchlist

Akagami no Shirayuki-hime S2
DRRR! Ketsu
Gate S2
Musaigen no Phantom World
Undefeated Bahamut (I allow myself one trashy fanservice show per season, and I've never actually seen one of these dumb magical academy series)

Also continuing Go Princess Precure, Heavy Object, Gundam IBO, and Lupin III once it goes up on CR. Might check out Mahou Tsukai Precure depending upon impressions.

duckroll

Towa no Quon - Episode 2

I must confess, I was feeling a little tired and almost dozed off a few times during this episode. It was kinda slow and not really the best sort of material to watch at night. The premise was pretty interesting and sets it apart from the first episode. As far as my pet peeve for poorly handled murder mysteries in anime goes, this wasn't too bad because it didn't really focus on the who-did-it part of it, but rather on the psychological aspect of the murderer as well as those investigating the case. This also lends itself to slower character scenes where Kenji Kawai's music works really effectively, but can also had the above mentioned doze effect. There wasn't much action this time round and it wasn't particularly flashy, but they made it up by having Omigawa's character make a bunch of cute dog sounds. Yay Omigawa.... I guess?

I'm so glad the annoying kid killer bought the farm at the end, I don't think I would have been able to handle it if Yuki Kaji became a regular on this. So, I'm sorry Quon, but I'm glad you fucking failed!

This season looks awfully barren, but I'm somewhat interested in Erased and Dimension W. Hopefully a show or two manages to surprise.

Omigawa is the best. I hope Shaft gives us some Omigawa and Ai Nonaka in March Comes In Like a Lion.

This season looks awfully barren, but I'm somewhat interested in Erased and Dimension W. Hopefully a show or two manages to surprise.

I'm surprised you're not at all interested in Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu.

Szadek

A look, there afre so many new shows.... I will probably watch a handful of them before dropping all but 2-3 of them.

Mailbox

It has been 6 hours since I declared that I quit anime. Anime still sucks. Discuss.

Eh... If you quit this season, you'll just be back next season for more revolutio anyway :3

Speaking of which, after what I'm currently watching and then shirobako, I need to watch that :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom