• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 07•17-19•15 - Ant-Man opens bigger than Antz! lol Schumer rides rails

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the problem is that Marvel has (more than) enough properties that they could bring to the big screen instead.

But they would be starting from scratch. Ant man has already built an audience and will feature in the team up movies which should increase the profile of the IP. The first movie also seems to have been received quite well. A sequel is likely to do a lot better than the original and is less of a risk than starting all over.

I think it's a good showing for Ant-Man and I firmly believe good word of mouth will help in giving it legs. I'm also optimistic that a sequel will be greenlit sooner or later.

aerts1js

Is it crazy to think that AoU hurt Ant-Man's numbers? Most people seemed to be disappointed with the Avengers and are sorta uninterested about what happens next.

AHA-Lambda

I'm also one of the people that think AoU probably hurt Ant-Man's sales as well.

Is it crazy to think that AoU hurt Ant-Man's numbers? Most people seemed to be disappointed with the Avengers and are sorta uninterested about what happens next.

I said it earlier in the thread but I'm personally convinced it's just on Ant-Man's marketing (the film I saw today and certainly surpassed my expectations, I wouldn't put it on it's quality certainly), so little people in general seemed hyped for it.

Guardians is easy to market. It's in space with guns, ships, and explosions. It also has a talking raccoon, a walking tree, and a green-skinned female assassin.

Ant-Man is a harder sell. Bugs are gross to some. A lot of commercials I've seen focus on the Yellowjacket fight (looks menacing/cool, lasers) and some of the action scenes involving guns and bullets. A witty quip by action hero Paul Rudd doesn't make it look interesting, and Evangeline Lilly punching him in the face isn't a big deal.

curb

Banned
I said it earlier in the thread but I'm personally convinced it's just on Ant-Man's marketing (the film I saw today and certainly surpassed my expectations, I wouldn't put it on it's quality certainly), so little people in general seemed hyped for it.

This. I think Ant-Man's a tough sell. I also think it will benefit from some positive word of mouth after this weekend.

kswiston

Antman went down in the actuals. Jurassic World UP.

Jurassic World went up 50k. That's like 0.4%. Not exactly worth a mention.

As for the others, Inside Out and Trainwreck were very slightly down over estimates. Minions and Ant-Man were each down $800-900k. I wonder if Sunday was generally overestimated.

Tobor

This is Looney Tunes. I've never met a single person IRL who even disliked AoU. It has an 87% audience score on RT.

Most people enjoyed it. A vocal internet minority disliked it.

curb

Banned
This is Looney Tunes. I've never met a single person IRL who even disliked AoU. It has an 87% audience score on RT.

Seconded. I haven't heard any real person outside of GAF and comment sections who didn't enjoy it to at least some degree.

Seconded. I haven't heard any real person outside of GAF and comment sections who didn't enjoy it to at least some degree.

Obviously this is all anecdotal but most of my friends / co-workers were disappointed with the second Avengers movie. Not that it was bad but it was less fun and interesting than the first one. I saw the first movie twice and could have seen it one or two more times with different groups of people. No one I talked to wanted to re-watch the second one.

aerts1js

Really? Most of my friends & co-workers were disappointed by it. It certainly doesn't have the 'MUST SEE AGAIN' that the first one had.

I realize it's all anecdotal but it's pretty safe to say at this point AoU hasn't had close to the same mindshare effect the first one had.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I mean, I'm not fan for AoU but the negative hyperbole around it is getting a little too much.
Putting aside the critical reception, the movie is the 8th highest grossing film domestically and the 6th highest worldwide. You don't get to those numbers without having significant repeat business

I feel like this is a good showing considering how boring the trailer was, how bad the marketing has been, and most importantly, the fact Ant-Man is not a particularly well known or beloved super hero, even to most comic book readers. From an outsider perspective, the entire concept of Ant-Man is kind of stupid. Luckily, the movie is funny and entertaining and doesn't require much investment in the comics to enjoy. They're lucky it turned out as good as it did, it could have been a huge disaster. Hopefully the good word of mouth will carry it.

JABEE

I think Ant-Man's issue was getting on screens. In my area, Ant-Man didn't dominate showings like every other Marvel movie. It's competing against too many movies that are still in the theaters. All the showings were close to sell-outs on Saturday.

Ant-man was ok, I went to a sunday 6:00 showing, theater is 1/3rd full.

I dunno if it will get strong word of mouth. If you like marvel films go see it, if you're looking for something different from the usual offering then don't.

Most marvel fan friends I've talked to thought it was alright, but a weaker offering and not as good as avengers one. Which is where I sit on it as well.

wachie

Jurassic World went up 50k. That's like 0.4%. Not exactly worth a mention.

As for the others, Inside Out and Trainwreck were very slightly down over estimates. Minions and Ant-Man were each down $800-900k. I wonder if Sunday was generally overestimated.
Your second para is exactly why it deserves a mention, most declined and JW was the only one with an increase.

Marvel will continue to make money but with DC looking to be getting things going right and Xmen and Star Wars on the horizon they certainly have competition. Ant-Man shows us that any random Marvel IP isn't guaranteed massive numbers.

I think getting Spiderman back was a great business move by Marvel. They really needed another face to carry the rest of the MCU like Iron Man did for phase 1 & 2. Launching into phase 4? without RDJ, Evans, and Hemsworth is pretty shaky. They need extremely charismatic people to sell Captain Marvel and Inhumans in my eyes. Dr. Strange is a question mark, BP I think will be an easier sell.

3N16MA

Banned
I don't believe AoU hurt Ant-Man much if any. If Ant-Man was featured in AoU and received a lukewarm or positive reaction then I would say it had a meaningful impact.

kurahador

After a great marketing and payoff from GOTG last year, it's weird seeing Marvel leaving Ant-Man to fend for itself.

It's like they're trying to see how low a new MCU feature film would make without any handholding.

wachie

After a great marketing and payoff from GOTG last year, it's weird seeing Marvel leaving Ant-Man to fend for itself.

It's like they're trying to see how low a new MCU feature film would make without any handholding.
It's amazing the length people go to excuse any sort of unspectacular OW.

Movie opens big, those geniuses at Marvel! It doesnt? Those bastards!

Toothless

Exactly. Once people hear that Ant-Man is actually a great film, more will go see it. It'll have legs, just not as long as Guardians'.

I think you're overrating the WOM; most people I see (including me) are very "eh, it was okay with some good parts." Not really great WOM.

Minions not that good?:p I like the minions in some ways, and Sandra Bullock, but bleh. Glad that Inside Out is doing pretty good.

I hate the Minions in everything, hence my happiness at the drop :p

LosDaddie

Banned
I'm glad to see Ant Man take #1. I thought the movie was great. My hype was low, but damn, I had a great time watching it.

I mean, I'm not fan for AoU but the negative hyperbole around it is getting a little too much.
Putting aside the critical reception, the movie is the 8th highest grossing film domestically and the 6th highest worldwide. You don't get to those numbers without having significant repeat business

The negative reaction to AoU on GAF was easy to see coming.

My thought this week. Will people who keep posting "Can World beat Titanic domestic?" realize that it already did?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=releases&id=titanic.htm

The number you see for Titanic when you casually browse it includes the 3D re-release that came out many years later. World has beaten Titanic's original domestic run.
Of course it beat... Titanic... domestic... original run...[qualifier].

The hoops some have to jump through to try and engineer headline-worthy records.

wachie

It did beat Titanic. Titanic's second run is akin to Gone with the Wind's multiple runs.

One generic movie beat another, no need to get upset.

It did beat Titanic. Titanic's second run is akin to Gone with the Wind's multiple runs.

I'm not upset. Why on earth would I be upset?

Anyway, you can try and say that it's akin to Gone with the Wind's multiple runs if you like, but then you're doing the same thing that people who try to adjust for inflation only are doing - you're trying to account for one factor and one factor alone. If you can't account for for all significant factors, you shouldn't try to account for any, let alone just one. It just seems really silly.

Even The Avengers had a re-release. The fact that it wasn't a very successful re-release sees that nobody ever tries to take away the extra dollars it added to the film's overall total. Same with Avatar's tepid re-release.

Gonzalez

Banned

Yeah, a Best Picture winner is "Generic". Let's see poop like JW win an Oscar for something besides Best Sound Editing.

Cheebo

Banned
1.4b is disappointing?

Falling over a 100 million short of the last film (and the worldwide box-office has only continued to massively grow year over year the last 3 years) and won't even be in the top 3 highest grossing movies of 2015.

Yes, that is definitely falling short of expectations and disappointing compared to what was expected of it.

It was widely considered to outgross the first due to the massive growth in the overseas box-office and be the #1 highest grossing movie of the year.

kswiston

Titanic was the #1 movie for 15 straight weeks, and remained in the top 10 for half a year. Inflation will probably push it out of the top 10 in the next decade or so, but we will most likely never see another run like that again.

kswiston

Already posted.

Sunday's actual drop wasn't bad. 22% is pretty much standard for this time of year, not even taking into consideration that Saturday's close to 20% increase over Friday minus previews is quite strong for a comic book film.

Minions on the other hand had poor increases and drops on Saturday and Sunday. I was expecting it to end up $3-5M higher based on that Friday number. A 57% drop is really steep for an animated film.

“No one else could take what is really an obscure character and launch it in such a big way,” said Hollis.
Uh yeah there was...
edgar-wright-image-494x600.jpg

We going to forget about Edgar Wright, now

My thought this week. Will people who keep posting "Can World beat Titanic domestic?" realize that it already did?

Yeah, but that doesn't really matter. It's not that people don't know. It's that it's not a distinction worth making. Movies get re-released all the time, and those totals count towards the overall. Just how it is.

It's why I was wondering whether or not Universal might try to give World a re-release later this year to get it over the hump if it doesn't make it before it's pulled from theaters.

kswiston

Top 10 unadjusted initial runs for those curious:

1) Avatar - $750M
2) Avengers - $623M
3) Jurassic World - $611M
4) Titanic - $601M
5) The Dark Knight - $533M
6) Avengers: Age of Ultron - $456M
7) The Dark Knight Rises - $448M
8) Shrek 2 - $441M
9) Star Wars: Episode 1 - $431M
10) The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - $425M

Besides some rearranging for Titanic and The Phantom Menace, the list loses a New Hope and gains Catching Fire. It's the same otherwise.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Already posted.

Sunday's actual drop wasn't bad. 22% is pretty much standard for this time of year, not even taking into consideration that Saturday's close to 20% increase over Friday minus previews is quite strong for a comic book film.

Minions on the other hand had poor increases and drops on Saturday and Sunday. I was expecting it to end up $3-5M higher based on that Friday number. A 57% drop is really steep for an animated film.

Didn't see it, sorry kwiston :)

Minions is disappointing though as Sunday drops are usually less pronounced for family films.

I would characterize Ant-Man as a misfire to be honest - it's performance is on par to what I expected, but given the Marvel brand, expectations were higher for many. I don't think it's going to have a good multiplier but I could be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom