• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 07•17-19•15 - Ant-Man opens bigger than Antz! lol Schumer rides rails

Status
Not open for further replies.

kswiston

I would characterize Ant-Man as a misfire to be honest - it's performance is on par to what I expected, but given the Marvel brand, expectations were higher for many. I don't think it's going to have a good multiplier but I could be wrong.

I wish that BOM still posted screen counts (rather than just theatre counts) after the actuals are in. My local 13 screen multiplex only had Ant-man on two screens (with a total of 9 screenings), an IMAX screen and a VIP screen (basically a section of the theatre that you have to be 19+ to attend). IMAX tickets are $19. VIP tickets are $24. Not exactly family or casual moviegoer friendly.

On the other hand, Minions has 3 screens and 15 showing at the same theatre (including a 2D showing for $12). Avengers had at least 4 screens (maybe 5) back in May.

BlazinAm

You have to take into account that a certain amount of the audience for minions are not getting tickets because they are young(under 3) so you are going to need more auditoriums for it.

Abounder

Banned
An interesting takeaway for Ant-Man is that it had the highest % of women yet for a Marvel movie at a lowly 32%. I realize Marvel is for dudes but until they expand their demos...they've pretty much peaked at the box office, and is an area where DC and Star Wars can capitalize on.

If Ant-Man gets a sequel then it'd have to be for the unannounced phase 4, Marvel doesn't like to wait more than 4 years though. I doubt Ant-Man merch is flying off the shelves, so I wouldn't count on it happening but I can't wait to see how they handle the Avengers team action dynamic with Hulk, Spider-Man, Ant-Man, and who knows who else...hopefully it's not a jumbled mess of cuts

wachie

I'm not upset. Why on earth would I be upset?

Anyway, you can try and say that it's akin to Gone with the Wind's multiple runs if you like, but then you're doing the same thing that people who try to adjust for inflation only are doing - you're trying to account for one factor and one factor alone. If you can't account for for all significant factors, you shouldn't try to account for any, let alone just one. It just seems really silly.
Actually, adding the grosses of multiple runs is more akin to adjusting for inflation not the other way around. Basically with Titanic it was the 3D gimmick which wasn't available in the original run. I don't adjust for inflation and by the same principle I don't count the re-release schtick.

Even The Avengers had a re-release. The fact that it wasn't a very successful re-release sees that nobody ever tries to take away the extra dollars it added to the film's overall total. Same with Avatar's tepid re-release.
The fact that both re-releases were not too long after the original runs has a big way they didn't gross much. Fox thought additional scenes would bring people back to theatres in a big way and don't know what Disney was thinking. Add 10-15 years along with some new gimmick and they might have done more just like even Juarassic Park.

DarkFlow

Banned
An interesting takeaway for Ant-Man is that it had the highest % of women yet for a Marvel movie at a lowly 32%. I realize Marvel is for dudes but until they expand their demos...they've pretty much peaked at the box office, and is an area where DC and Star Wars can capitalize on.

If Ant-Man gets a sequel then it'd have to be for the unannounced phase 4, Marvel doesn't like to wait more than 4 years though. I doubt Ant-Man merch is flying off the shelves, so I wouldn't count on it happening but I can't wait to see how they handle the Avengers team action dynamic with Hulk, Spider-Man, Ant-Man, and who knows who else...hopefully it's not a jumbled mess of cuts

That's not even correct. Avengers had 40% female.

· Audience: 50% over 25, 50% under 25; 60% male, 40% female; 55% couples, 24% family, 21% teens.

http://deadline.com/2012/05/marvels-the-avengers-records-factoids-267389/

Kathian

Banned
Agree on the female side of things. You only need to look at the basic Marvel formula to see what the issue is. But I also sympathise with Disney - superheroes as a concept were targeting the male audience.

How have Batman/Superman and X Men films done? Suspect X Men would have had a more mixed audience but it can be hard to get a feel on when promotions have such a big impact.

Abounder

Banned

That's not even correct. Avengers had 40% female.

· Audience: 50% over 25, 50% under 25; 60% male, 40% female; 55% couples, 24% family, 21% teens.

http://deadline.com/2012/05/marvels-the-avengers-records-factoids-267389/

Doesn't that Avengers number include non-adults? According to Disney, Ant-Man had the largest share of families and women yet for any Marvel title unless I'm not reading it correctly:

"This is a great start, albeit not as big as some people said it would be, and Marvel has once again successfully expanded its stable of characters in a way that makes its universe fresh," said Disney distribution chief Dave Hollis, noting that Ant-Man drew the largest share of families (28 percent) and women (32 percent) of any Marvel superhero title.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-ant-man-no-809752

Agree on the female side of things. You only need to look at the basic Marvel formula to see what the issue is. But I also sympathise with Disney - superheroes as a concept were targeting the male audience.

How have Batman/Superman and X Men films done? Suspect X Men would have had a more mixed audience but it can be hard to get a feel on when promotions have such a big impact.

According to wikipedia Days of Future Past was "56 percent male and 59 percent over the age of 25" but I can't find any quick stats about women over the age of 25 (which Maleficent won over the next weekend anyway).

Having more diverse stars will definitely be huge for blockbusters, much like how Danica Patrick and Linsanity/Yao Ming opened up demos for sports entertainment. It's really the only way for super blockbusters to keep growing.

kswiston

Doesn't that Avengers number include non-adults? According to Disney, Ant-Man had the largest share of families and women yet for any Marvel title unless I'm not reading it correctly:

"This is a great start, albeit not as big as some people said it would be, and Marvel has once again successfully expanded its stable of characters in a way that makes its universe fresh," said Disney distribution chief Dave Hollis, noting that Ant-Man drew the largest share of families (28 percent) and women (32 percent) of any Marvel superhero title.

32% is not that low if families are discounted and we are only looking at the remaining 72%.

That would give you 40% adult male and 32% adult female. OP said that the overall percentage was 58% male and 42% female.

DarkFlow

Banned

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-ant-man-no-809752

According to wikipedia Days of Future Past was "56 percent male and 59 percent over the age of 25" but I can't find any quick stats about women over the age of 25 (which Maleficent won over the next weekend anyway).

Having more diverse stars will definitely be huge for blockbusters, much like how Danica Patrick and Linsanity/Yao Ming opened up demos for sports entertainment. It's really the only way for super blockbusters to keep growing.

You also really can't count Ant-Man's demos after 4 days of opening.

Gonzalez

Banned
Reads like "WWE Did You Know?". In other words, they're full of shit.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Anna Farris is going to divorce him because now he has to be super fit for all his leading roles. She likes him chubby.

Shame, he looks better slightly-chubby-but-not-chubby. Basically a less fit version of him currently.

That or it's him being mid-20's for the Five-year-Engagement that is throwing me off.

Finaika

Paul Rudd doing his work.

numble

You also really can't count Ant-Man's demos after 4 days of opening.

To be fair, the demos in your Avengers link is also based on numbers released 3 days after opening, and they came from Dave Hollis, the same source as the Ant-Man demo figures.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...eaks-record-with-200-3-million-in-receipts-1-
Disney’s Hollis credited director Joss Whedon and the actors, as well as Marvel President Kevin Feige for weaving together the narratives of the multiple Marvel films leading up to this one, including the two “Iron Man” movies, and last year’s “Captain America” and “Thor.”
The international opening, as well as a Marvel record of $100 million in sponsorships, including Honda Motor Co.’s Acura and Harley-Davidson Inc., helped generate interest and draw a diverse audience that was half over age 25 and 60 percent male, he said. Fifty-two percent of the gross was in 3-D theaters such as those using RealD Inc. systems, and 8 percent was in theaters equipped by Imax Corp., which ran out of tickets.
“You hope for a mix like this,” Hollis said. “This is what you shoot for.”

Blader

There will be a four-year gap between Thor 2 and 3. Just like Age of Ultron kept Thor on the screen in between those two, Civil War and likely Infinity War will keep Scott (and maybe Hope) fresh in audience's minds too.

AniHawk

Nothing stops JW. That film is just a ticket beast.

the infinity war will have thanos get the infinity gauntlet so he can finally achieve his wish of being a dinosaur. and then in part 2 the only way to fight back is to have everyone be dinosaurs. iron man builds a dinosaur suit, thor visits the dinosaur gods, and spider-man is bitten by a radioactive dinosaur, which starts to overpower his radioactive spider blood.

Ahasverus

Nothing stops JW. That film is just a ticket beast.
I watched it yesterday, I couldn't believe my eyes, I even enjoyed Guardians more and people know I found it super silly. Pratt can't act too. I was in awe for all the wrong reasons, I mean, it wasn't bad, but I've seen that plot on saturday morning cartoons for decades, and the dinosaurs still look like cgi, making them look worse than JP1 ones sometimes. I don't get it.

3N16MA

Banned
No production delays will equal a smaller budget next time around. WB will factor in that MM did not get a release in China. Excellent Blu-Ray sales will bring in profit.

The hope for a sequel is still alive. Don't give up hope.

kswiston

Antman gets a Chinese release date, sequel chances just got better.

Nothing for Mad Max though.

I don't think an opening for Ant-Man in China was never in doubt. I also think that people need to give up on Mad Max in China. It will be on DVD/Blu Ray in a couple of months.

Ant-Man made $6.4M on Monday.

kswiston

So looking at the Chinese release schedule, it looks like the government has decided that foreign films have made too much this year, and has commenced fucking films over with release dates again.

Mission Impossible 5 - Sept 8th (Tues)
Minions - Sept 13th (Sun)
Pixels - Sept 15th (Tues)
Ant-Man - Sept 18th (Fri)

So looking at the Chinese release schedule, it looks like the government has decided that foreign films have made too much this year, and has commenced fucking films over with release dates again.

Mission Impossible 5 - Sept 8th (Tues)
Minions - Sept 13th (Sun)
Pixels - Sept 15th (Tues)
Ant-Man - Sept 18th (Fri)
Are they taking ideas from the video game industry? This makes no sense, to anyway.

Abounder

Banned
32% is not that low if families are discounted and we are only looking at the remaining 72%.

That would give you 40% adult male and 32% adult female. OP said that the overall percentage was 58% male and 42% female.

Especially considering there wasn't much for women to get excited about. Demographics other than males over the age of 25 will be key for superheroes and other blockbusters like Star Wars to grow.

There will be a four-year gap between Thor 2 and 3. Just like Age of Ultron kept Thor on the screen in between those two, Civil War and likely Infinity War will keep Scott (and maybe Hope) fresh in audience's minds too.

Ant-Man should be a lot of fun alongside the Avengers cast. Four years from now phase 4 should be launching, so he could be leading the way for the next MCU era.

Are they taking ideas from the video game industry? This makes no sense, to anyway.

The studios don't want that schedule, Chinese bureaucracy is toxic. They even ban anime like Attack on Titans, and there probably was no chance in hell for Mad Max to get a release. The only consolation for studios is that China sucks for home theater deals, so western markets are still much more important.

guek

Banned
Minions and Ant-Man have been neck and neck all week

Mon
$6.4mil Ant-Man vs $5.7mil Minions

Tues
$8.0mil Minions vs. $7.8mil Ant-Man

Wed
$5.17mil Minions vs. $5.12mil Ant-man

Week Total
$19.32mil Ant-Man vs. $18.87mil Minions

kswiston

Minions and Ant-Man have been neck and neck all week

Mon
$6.4mil Ant-Man vs $5.7mil Minions

Tues
$8.0mil Minions vs. $7.8mil Ant-Man

Wed
$5.17mil Minions vs. $5.12mil Ant-man

Week Total
$19.32mil Ant-Man vs. $18.87mil Minions

Makes sense when their weekend totals were pretty similar subtracting Ant-Man's $6.4M Thursday previews.

Tracking for pixels has collapsed along with those review scores. I am seeing a lot of $30-40M projections for the weekend.

Toothless

I thought I heard Sony was internally tracking Pixels in the mid-20s from Deadline or something. I was surprised to hear it.

Normally I maintain that early reviews matter almost zero when it comes to opening weekend, and haven't really mattered since the internet completely democratized film criticism.

But that MovieBob thing has been shared by like every single person I know on facebook.

I thought for sure Pixels was going to make Transformers money, quality be damned, but I'll be super-happy when I'm wrong.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Normally I maintain that early reviews matter almost zero when it comes to opening weekend, and haven't really mattered since the internet completely democratized film criticism.

But that MovieBob thing has been shared by like every single person I know on facebook.

I thought for sure Pixels was going to make Transformers money, quality be damned, but I'll be super-happy when I'm wrong.

I mean, it has a 19% Rottentomatoes score and a 93% Want To See score

6u2t2Ru.gif

To be fair, that % of want to see is quite low compared to most movies. Even Genisys had like a 99% want to see.

I don't think I've even noticed it that low before actually.

guek

Banned
Looks like Paper Towns made $2M in Thursday previews. Pixels made $1.5M

John Greene is such a trash writer, it's upsetting how successful he's been. I've had the displeasure of reading his 3 most popular novels due to recommendations. He's pretty much Nicholas Sparks for tweeners. Is Paper Towns expected to blow up like Fault in Our Stars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom