• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 07•17-19•15 - Ant-Man opens bigger than Antz! lol Schumer rides rails

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

Star Wars will probably kick TF3 out. Civil War could potentially kick IM3 out. I wonder if BvS has a change to take the world by storm this time. MoS couldn't quite manage it, but adding Batman to the mix could be very effective.

Ridley327

If Ben Affleck can debut with Gone Baby Gone, what's stopping Joel Edgerton, I say. Seems like the kinda movie you go in knowing as little as possible, so I'm not gonna ready anything else.

Edgerton also wrote The Rover, so he's definitely got some interesting stuff going through his head.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Now the real question is, who will dethrone Pokemon: The First Movie in the Animation - Anime spectrum?!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

3N16MA

Banned
Star Wars will probably kick TF3 out. Civil War could potentially kick IM3 out. I wonder if BvS has a change to take the world by storm this time. MoS couldn't quite manage it, but adding Batman to the mix could be very effective.

TDK hit #4 back in 09 and now sits at #22.

duckroll

Looking at the US box office for anime takings is pretty irrelevant. It would be like singling out comic book movies and looking exclusively at the Japanese box office for them. whothefuckcares.gif

As far as anime box office goes, the king is still Spirited Away with 30.4 billion yen in Japan back in 2001. It's also still the #1 JP box office hit of all time.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Lies, Pokemon means life!

At the time, Pokemon: The First Movie broke several industry records:

"Pokémon The First Movie" became the biggest Wednesday opening ever for a Warner Bros. movie and the biggest Wednesday opening for any animated film in history, outpacing its nearest competition, "The Lion King," by nearly four million dollars. It also became the biggest Wednesday opening in any November for any release industry-wide.

http://www.timewarner.com/newsroom/press-releases/1999/11/11/warner-bros-wednesday-box-office-for-pok-mon-the-first-movie-sets

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I know duck, lol. Insane that Spirited Away achieved 30 billion yen.

3N16MA

Banned
Looking at the US box office for anime takings is pretty irrelevant. It would be like singling out comic book movies and looking exclusively at the Japanese box office for them. whothefuckcares.gif

As far as anime box office goes, the king is still Spirited Away with 30.4 billion yen in Japan back in 2001. It's also still the #1 JP box office hit of all time.

Didn't Frozen top it?

EDIT: You're correct, duckroll.

duckroll

Yeah, I quickly checked and Duckroll is correct.

Yeah when comparing foreign box office, one issue people run into from time to time is the exchange rate issue. US based sites like Boxofficemojo track in USD because their main function of tracking foreign gross is to add it all up in a single currency for the "worldwide" take. But currency exchange value can fluctuate significantly over the years, making such numbers somewhat inaccurate for direct comparison.

kswiston

I wonder if that record will ever fall. Japan has hit peak population, and inflation has been stagnant for 15 years.

duckroll

I wonder if that record will ever fall. Japan has hit peak population, and inflation has been stagnant for 15 years.

Looking at the Japan All Time records, it would be very, very hard: http://www.eiga-ranking.com/boxoffice/japan/alltime/total/

Frozen is the only film which has made that sort of dent in the last decade. It still couldn't dethrone Titanic, much less Spirited Away. It's really telling when you look at the Harry Potter numbers too, where it's a straight decline from the first film all the way downwards. 1>2>3>4>[8]>5>6>7. When the hype boost for the grand finale of the franchise couldn't even boost it above the 4th film, you know the market is stagnated as fuck. Miyazaki's final film The Wind Rises "only" collected 11.6 billion yen in 2013 too. So Miyazaki can't beat Miyazaki, Cameron can't beat Cameron. It's bad all round.

I feel that a movie like Ant-man, in a vacuum where the MCU didn't exist, would've pulled a Hellboy-like $25-35 million domestic haul instead. I'm sure Disney would've preferred GotG numbers for Ant-man, but I'm surprised they're disappointed in the first weekend gross.

Abounder

Banned
I feel that a movie like Ant-man, in a vacuum where the MCU didn't exist, would've pulled a Hellboy-like $25-35 million domestic haul instead. I'm sure Disney would've preferred GotG numbers for Ant-man, but I'm surprised they're disappointed in the first weekend gross.

True but MCU is all about sequels so the numbers probably don't give much confidence for a hypothetical Ant-Man 2, especially since Ant-Man 2 would be leading into the unannounced Phase 4 after 2019 (which would be nearly 5 years between these two Ant films). The tiny hero had big shoes to fill but I think its numbers are about what one can expect, although the studio did fail to market Ant-Man as a family film despite it being the best MCU film for the family demo (Honey I shrunk the superheroes)

guek

Banned
They may also look at Ant-Man as an IP with potential like Thor or Captain America, neither of which took the work by storm but performed much better after further exposure in team up movies

mreddie

Guardians spoiled them.

Guardians marketing sucked though, word of mouth carried that film

kobe-hilariously-confused-reaction-gif.gif

guek

Banned
Yeah, guardians had pretty good marketing. And even if you don't think it was that well marketed, Ant-Man definitely bungled the marketing.

The Ant-man martketing was trash

LzQp43pl.jpg

How this got approved is beyond me.

Yeah, they should've gone more fantastical with the posters.

BUT! the comic book franchise that shall forever have the crown of shit marketing is the X-Men Series. It's been 15 years and the marketing has barely improved.

DiddyBop

I thought most fans liked F7 though? Maybe I'm conflating box office performance with reception.

Fast 7 was pretty bad. The series peaked at Fast 5 and had steadily upped the crazy while slowly going downhill in overall quality. This complaint hardly matters as I am invested in the series and will see Fast8. Pretty sure most fans feel this way as well so Fast8 is guaranteed $$$ regardless of quality.

Fast 7 was pretty bad. The series peaked at Fast 5 and had steadily upped the crazy while slowly going downhill in overall quality. This complaint hardly matters as I am invested in the series and will see Fast8. Pretty sure most fans feel this way as well so Fast8 is guaranteed $$$ regardless of quality.

5 and 6 are pretty comparable in quality. really fun action movies too.

7 was a real disappointment though, just a damn rushed mess (this is kind of understandable though) and wan was a step down from lin. nice ending tho.

GotG had great marketing. James Gunn worked with the marketing department to nail the tone of the movie though. It was sold as Star Wars but funnier.

Marvel seemed like they didn't know how to market Ant-Man until the last trailer and the TV spots hit. Which was way to close to the opening.

Oersted

The Ant-man martketing was trash

LzQp43pl.jpg

How this got approved is beyond me.

Biggest problem with the Ant-Man marketing it neither is selling on the story nor the characters. While the former was never a selling point of Marvel movies, people atleast need a clue what it is about. Most trailers just tell you something is happening. The latter, the characters, are probably the coreselling point of Marvel movies, but with Ant-Man? The only one getting sold properly is the Douglas character. Who is Antman? What is the Hobbit woman doing in this?

Guardians sold the characters perfectly. Antman is just... there.

kswiston

Ant-man was sitting at $160M worldwide going into this weekend, with openings in 12 more territories. I'd guess that its gross will be around $225M after this weekend.

guek

Banned
Ant-man was sitting at $160M worldwide going into this weekend, with openings in 12 more territories. I'd guess that its gross will be around $225M after this weekend.
Hmm. I was hoping it would break 400m world wide. Seems more likely to hit around 350m which would be close to Cap 1.

At least it's guaranteed to beat Incredible Hulk quite handily.

kswiston

Hmm. I was hoping it would break 400m world wide. Seems more likely to hit around 350m which would be close to Cap 1.

At least it's guaranteed to beat Incredible Hulk quite handily.

It should still break $400M. Openings in China, South Korea, Italy, Japan, and a dozen or so smaller territories are still ahead. Holdover business from domestic and the overseas territories that have already launched should add at least another $100M. Probably more than that.

guek

Banned
It should still break $400M. Openings in China, South Korea, Italy, Japan, and a dozen or so smaller territories are still ahead. Holdover business from domestic and the overseas territories that have already launched should add at least another $100M. Probably more than that.
Oh I didn't know it still had so many territories left to open. Good to know. That would bode really well for a sequel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom