• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office 07•17-19•15 - Ant-Man opens bigger than Antz! lol Schumer rides rails

Status
Not open for further replies.

wachie

The Ant-man martketing was trash

LzQp43pl.jpg

How this got approved is beyond me.
Just because the posters were awful doesn't mean the marketing was awful. I would pin it down more that the concept was more harder to sell. MCU posters being awful is quite normal but their promos and trailers are well cut for their demos. Also Ant-man lacked tbe "world being in danger" which is quite common with the superhero genre so the stakes didn't seem high enough.

3N16MA

Banned
The Ant-Man trailer might have gotten a chuckle or two out of those who watched it but it lacked a compelling reason to actually watch the entire thing. People need something more than its from Marvel the studio that brought you Avengers.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Looking at the Japan All Time records, it would be very, very hard: http://www.eiga-ranking.com/boxoffice/japan/alltime/total/

Frozen is the only film which has made that sort of dent in the last decade. It still couldn't dethrone Titanic, much less Spirited Away. It's really telling when you look at the Harry Potter numbers too, where it's a straight decline from the first film all the way downwards. 1>2>3>4>[8]>5>6>7. When the hype boost for the grand finale of the franchise couldn't even boost it above the 4th film, you know the market is stagnated as fuck. Miyazaki's final film The Wind Rises "only" collected 11.6 billion yen in 2013 too. So Miyazaki can't beat Miyazaki, Cameron can't beat Cameron. It's bad all round.

Is the link you provided up-to-date?

Pokemon: The First Movie gross was 7.24 billion yen and yet does not figure on the chart, nor does Pokemon 2000 at 6.2 billion yen.

http://www.zaikei.co.jp/releases/118126/

duckroll

Is the link you provided up-to-date?

Pokemon: The First Movie gross was 7.24 billion yen and yet does not figure on the chart, nor does Pokemon 2000 at 6.2 billion yen.

http://www.zaikei.co.jp/releases/118126/

I think it's up to date but there definitely seems to be odd omissions. The earlier Pokemon movies are completely missing. Some of the numbers are also slightly different from the chart on Wikipedia (which does include the earlier Pokemon films and the more recent Yokai Watch film), but the cut off there is at 5 billion yen or so: https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/歴代映画興行成績

kswiston

Early Saturday numbers are looking terrible all around (other than Trainwreck which will have an ok hold).

Ant-Man should win the weekend, but Pixels is close enough that Sony may fudge the Sunday drop for a "win". Minions is in for another drop around 55% which almost never happens to animated movies. Paper Towns collapsed and will debut in the $12-13M range.

kswiston

Weekend Box Office Numbers coming in:

1) Ant-Man - $24.8M - $106M total
2) Pixels - 24.0M
3) Minions - $22.1M (-55%) - $262M total
4) Trainwreck - $17.3M (-43%) - $62M total
5) South Paw - $16.5M
6) Paper Towns - 12.5M

Jurassic World - $6.9M (-40%) - $624M total (#3 of all time domestic)

I am going to guess Ant-Man for #1 and Pixels for #2, but we will see in a few minutes.

Terminator Genisys is now at $305M worldwide with only China left to open.

aerts1js

Weekend Box Office Numbers coming in:

3) Minions - $22.1M - $262M total
4) Trainwreck - $17.3M - $62M total
5) South Paw - $16.5M
6) Paper Towns - 12.5M

Jurassic World - $6.9M - $624M total (#3 of all time domestic)

I am going to guess Ant-Man for #1 and Pixels for #2, but we will see in a few minutes.

Terminator Genisys is now at $305M worldwide with only China left to open.

Ant-Man #1 would be a surprise and may prove that it has a bit of legs.

Ridley327

Paper Towns wasn't nearly as big a book as The Fault in Our Stars, was it? That right there would account for any and all reasons why the film adaptation wasn't as big.

kswiston

Avengers made $8.9M in its seventh weekend vs $6.9M for Jurassic World. In fact, Avengers made more in its 8th weekend than Jurassic World made in its seventh. Considering that Avengers made about $37M more from this point in its run, and Jurassic World needs about $34M more to pass Titanic's total run, reaching #2 is not looking all that good. This is likely going to be the week that Avengers starts passing Jurassic World on the weekdays (as well as the weekends).

EDIT: No that there is much to complain about regarding a run that will end in the $650M range!

Avengers made $8.9M in its seventh weekend vs $6.9M for Jurassic World. In fact, Avengers made more in its 8th weekend than Jurassic World made in its seventh. Considering that Avengers made about $37M more from this point in its run, and Jurassic World needs about $34M more to pass Titanic's total run, reaching #2 is not looking all that good. This is likely going to be the week that Avengers starts passing Jurassic World on the weekdays (as well as the weekends).

EDIT: No that there is much to complain about regarding a run that will end in the $650M range!

Jurassic World had a blu ray quality copy leak onto the internet. Could that have put a major damper on momentum?

kswiston

Jurassic World had a blu ray quality copy leak onto the internet. Could that have put a major damper on momentum?

Maybe a tiny bit, but it has been matching Inside Out, which has been having good legs. Avengers just had weak direct competition in most of June 2012.

kswiston

$24.8M for Ant-Man. Worldwide total is $226M.

Inside Out made $7.4M this weekend for a total of $320M domestic. Worldwide total is now $550M.

kswiston

Pixels Number 1?

No. At least according to ERC. They are saying that Ant-man repeats.

EDIT: ERC also points out that Disney and Universal have held the #1 spot 11 out of the 13 weekends this summer.

EDIT 2: Avengers Age of Ultron is now sitting at $1.396B. The crawl to $1.4B continues.

border

Will Marvel green light an Ant Man sequel with such low numbers? Chances are that a follow up will probably have a less enthusiastic response.

mreddie

Will Marvel green light an Ant Man sequel with such low numbers? Chances are that a follow up will probably have a less enthusiastic response.

They might give it one since Thor and Cap got a boost in their numbers when their sequels came out after Avengers. The film also left lose threads hanging as well so time will tell. Also I believe the international numbers have it doing well and it's still got China and Japan to release in. Overall, this might help Marvel and promoting their other non sequel films like Strange and Cap Marvel.

Is there even an open slot for an Ant-Man sequel? They've got the rest of their schedule planned out pretty solidly for the next 4-5 years. I don't think they were ever planning for another Ant-Man movie, short of Ant-Man making Guardians numbers, which obviously won't happen (and they certainly never tried to make it happen, looking at their marketing)

Ant-Man showing up in team-up movies seems to be the plan for the guy.

Dysun

Phase 4 might be missing the usual big hitters of Cap/Thor/Iron Man. Maybe there will be a Cap without Steve Rogers.

It depends on if Marvel views this and some of the Phase 3 introduction movies (Strange, Panther, Marvel, Inhumans) the same way they saw the original Phase 1 movies

tomtom94

Is there even an open slot for an Ant-Man sequel? They've got the rest of their schedule planned out pretty solidly for the next 4-5 years. I don't think they were ever planning for another Ant-Man movie, short of Ant-Man making Guardians numbers, which obviously won't happen (and they certainly never tried to make it happen, looking at their marketing)

Ant-Man showing up in team-up movies seems to be the plan for the guy.

There's room for one more film in 2019 after Inhumans. Current theory is Marvel might put one of a Dr Strange or Ant-Man sequel in there (it's a bit too close for Spider-Man and I doubt they want another new IP the same year as Inhumans)

Ridley327

Let's address it, the shootings played a factor did it?

I don't doubt that it kept some people home, but at the risk of sounding insensitive, I don't think it had nearly the same impact as the Aurora shooting since it happened at a fairly random showing for a film that wasn't a part of this week's new releases. Pixels doing poorly has a hell of a lot more to do with the quality of the film than it does with the shooting.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Whenever one speaks of box-office performance, especially for Marvel, with the exception of The Avengers & Spiderman, disregard Japan entirely. The performance in that market is horrid.

If Tron gets no sequel, Ant-Man gets no sequel under Disney's stewardship.

There's room for one more film in 2019 after Inhumans.

Four years between Ant-Mans seems like quite a stretch, though. I think Ant-Man was always going to be a one 'n' done barring some surprise phenomenon (which they didn't really try to foster). Like "We've been developing the goddamn thing for 8 years, lets just get it out there finally. We'll use the character plenty in the three Avengers (Civil War is an Avengers movie at this point) movies we have coming up."

Son Of D

There's room for one more film in 2019 after Inhumans. Current theory is Marvel might put one of a Dr Strange or Ant-Man sequel in there (it's a bit too close for Spider-Man and I doubt they want another new IP the same year as Inhumans)
Dr Strange sequel seems more likely unless that does Antman style numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom