• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman review embargo lifts 1 day before release

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Early twitter rumblings have indicated that WW is going to be a real solid DC outing, so I started poking around to see when reviews drop.

Apparently, WB has the embargo lift on May 31st and the movie drops June 2nd.

What? Does anyone know how far back BvS / SS / MoS embargoes lifted? Is this normal for WB? I'm used to MCU reviews dropping like 3 weeks beforehand.

maxcriden

Edit: I initially wrote that is not promising, but Effect makes a good point below that this is standard practice for WB, so it may not indicate the quality of the film.

--

MOS Review Thread was made on 06/12/2013:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585971

Movie released 06/13/2013.

BVS Review Thread was made on 03/22/2016:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1199712

Movie released 03/23/2016.

Suicide Squad Review Thread was made on 08/02/2016:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1256880

Movie released 08/05/2016.

Early twitter rumblings have indicated that WW is going to be a real solid DC outing, so I started poking around to see when reviews drop.

Apparently, WB has the embargo lift on May 31st and the movie drops June 2nd.

What? Does anyone know how far back BvS / SS / MoS embargoes lifted? Is this normal for WB? I'm used to MCU reviews dropping like 3 weeks beforehand.

WB just did that for Injustice 2 and we were treated to a tidal wave of outstanding reviews and critical acclaim. I have faith in this decision.

It could also be to cut back on some of the more troll-ish reviews that will inevitably be published. So close to release date = not enough time to sour people's opinions before they see the film.

WB just did that for Injustice 2 and we were treated to a tidal wave of outstanding reviews and critical acclaim. I have faith in this decision.

It could also be to cut back on some of the more troll-ish reviews that will inevitably be published. So close to release date = not enough time to sour people's opinions before they see the film.

Game review embargoes and marketing strategies function very differently from films.

I challenge you to compile a list of good movies that have had an embargo lift 24 before wide release

Squire

Banned

You're conflating the games division with the film studio and I have no idea why.

We need someone to jump in like the Bethesda fans on the gaming side saying that this is good for the industry.

Edit: Beaten inside of 10 posts? How?

Also sorry but can anyone provide specific sources for either this positive WOM or the embargo date? Because everyone's gonna flip out in this thread and I don't see a single link

Effect

WB does review embargos close to the release date at times. Mad Max was had its two days before release I think and Fantastic Beast had its lifted 3 or 4 days before release. Where as Kong Skull Island had its lifted over a week before I think.

I'm not sure what one has to do with another, other than superficial similarities. They're both "WB/DC", but entirely separate branches, entirely different industries, and expectations and history are pretty different as well - the DCEU is 3/3 for poorly reviewed movies.

maxcriden

WB does review embargos close to the release date at times. Mad Max was had theirs two days before release I think and Fantastic Beast had its lifted 3 or 4 days before release.

I didn't realize this was standard practice for WB. Might not be a bad sign, then. Thank you.

Veelk

Banned
I'm holding out hope that WB is just being really stupid and hobbling their own movie and preventing good word of mouth out of paranoia that it will actually be bad word of mouth.

Penguin

You know you don't need to make everything a "thing" around this universe.

Like the embargo may lift closer to release, but not like heading the movie from the press. It's already being screened.

And oddly sounds like reactions will be allowed first, which defeats the purpose, but neither here nor there.

Guardians 2 and Civil War had reviews stemming up a month before their releases because they knew what they had on their hands.

Man, DC is looking to have 5 movies under their belts, all of them shit.

Shit, I just realized that for once, this film is going to be released in the US a week earlier than in my country. Man, resisting all these DCEU threads will be tough.

Boke1879

Guardians 2 and Civil War had reviews stemming up a month before their releases because they knew what they had on their hands.

Again that's good for them, but that really has nothing to do with this situation though.

I do wish people would read a thread instead of looking at the title and then immediately posting.

Reviews will be out that Wednesday at the latest. Probably that Tuesday night going into it. That's really not out of the ordinary.

Penguin

I believe both movies were only about two weeks away

Got to remember opens like a week earlier in Europe

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
He's counting the Thursday preview as the actual premiere, as opposed to the Friday release.

Embargo will go up Wednesday morning. Movie opens on Friday.

Not really out of the ordinary.

yeah all new movies come out on Thursday around here

i'm used to weeks of reviews before a movie, but i am new to following the movie business

Headline is unsourced and even going by "twitter rumblings" is still incorrect.

May 31 to June 2 isn't "one day."

the twitter rumblings i read are positive, though not sure what's incorrect about that: https://www.comicbookmovie.com/wond...ive-but-the-embargo-lifts-last-minute-a151084

if a mod can adjust the time in my title to "2 days" that would be great

Top Bottom