• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman review embargo lifts 1 day before release

Snaku

Banned
Quick internet, pile on before anybody has seen it! Assume it's Garbage Pail Kids tier! Destroy any enthusiasm anybody has ever had for this movie!

Previews start on June 1st at 7PM.

Previews aren't the release date.

It's an alarmist headline based on bullshit that only seems worrisome if you don't know that a large number of films have their print embargoes going up 2-3 days before the film's official release date. Dude's already admitted he doesn't really know what he's talking about on the previous page.

yes, but would you suggest this movie is especially doomed? Or only partly?

On a scale from One to Invader Zim, I'd rank it a solid Gir.

Penguin

It's definitely not out there. I always expected the reviews to drop that week. I thought it was going to be on Tuesday.

Feel like this is even truer for the summer

Or will jon bones make a thread about the lack of PoTC and Baywatch reviews so far....

Toparaman

Banned
Edit: I initially wrote that is not promising, but Effect makes a good point below that this is standard practice for WB, so it may not indicate the quality of the film.

--

MOS Review Thread was made on 06/12/2013:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585971

Movie released 06/13/2013.

BVS Review Thread was made on 03/22/2016:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1199712

Movie released 03/23/2016.

Suicide Squad Review Thread was made on 08/02/2016:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1256880

Movie released 08/05/2016.

Wait, all those movies were bad though. That's not great evidence of this being standard practice for WB.

Fury Road's embargo was lifted on May 11, four days before release. Still not that early, but it seems like WB uses the one-day embargo for clear stinkers. Suicide Squad had some potential promise with critics because of its unique GOTG-esque style, so they did a three-day embargo with that one. That's my loose (and probably inaccurate) interpretation anyway.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
This is good.

i'm ok with the change

It's an alarmist headline based on bullshit that only seems worrisome if you don't know that a large number of films have their print embargoes going up 2-3 days before the film's official release date. Dude's already admitted he doesn't really know what he's talking about on the previous page.

you don't do 100 post per page?

maxcriden

Wait, all those movies were bad though. That's not great evidence of this being standard practice for WB.

Fury Road's embargo was lifted on May 11, four days before release. Still not that early, but it seems like WB uses the one-day embargo for clear stinkers. Suicide Squad had some potential promise with critics because of its unique GOTG-esque style, so they did a three-day embargo with that one. That's my loose (and probably inaccurate) interpretation anyway.

Sorry to be unclear. The bottom part is what I originally posted in reply to jon's question in the OP. I originally had a comment above that that was skeptical of quality but Effect's post made me rethink that.

Betty

Banned
It's going to be middle of the road average and really boring.

So at the very least it'll be the best film in DCU so far.

Well this is normal for WB, but a day before release isn't the most encouraging thing.

WB does review embargos close to the release date at times. Mad Max was had its two days before release I think and Fantastic Beast had its lifted 3 or 4 days before release. Where as Kong Skull Island had its lifted over a week before I think.

Mad Max's embargo actually lifted Monday last I checked.

WB just did that for Injustice 2 and we were treated to a tidal wave of outstanding reviews and critical acclaim. I have faith in this decision.

It could also be to cut back on some of the more troll-ish reviews that will inevitably be published. So close to release date = not enough time to sour people's opinions before they see the film.
I see this being a part o the strategy, for sure.

I mean, millions of people are going to see the movie on Thursday.

But whatever. The question is more whether dropping reviews two days before is unusual. Maybe a lot of films do, but how many of those are tentpoles and how many of them proceeded to get bad reviews? Looking through rotten tomatoes, I looked up when the first set of reviews came out for some WB blockbusters:

BvS: 1 day
Suicide Squad: 2 days
Man of Steel: 4 days
King Arthur: 3 days
Mad Max: 4 days
San Andreas: 2 days (five reviews before that, but the lion's share 2 days before release)
Kong Skull Island: 8 days
Fantastic Beasts: 4 days
Godzilla: 6 days
Legend of Tarzan: 2 days
Pacific Rim: 4 days

That's not a comprehensive list, doesn't taken into account whether review embargoes were changed (which may happen with Wonder Woman), but 2 days does not appear to be common for a tentpole WB film.

SpaceWolf

Banned
Either this film is really going to surprise people or it's really not going to surprise people. By which I mean, it'll get 24% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Film actually looks decent, and man is there a lot of very vague stuff coming out trying to predict its doom.

I guess after the last three DCEU movies, people want those fanboy-war clicks.

I wish they had started with this one, and it could come out against a blank slate.

I'm not saying it will be good, but there are going to be a lot of minds made up before it even airs.

Ahasverus

It's gonna be really good. Not a single bad comment from the people who actually watched the final cut. And some of them were already sckeptics.

Pizza

I want Wonder Woman to be good so goddamn bad

I don't care about fucking dancing tree children like at all shit is garbage gimmie a lasso

a916

Sounds like there's no indication one way or another about the quality of the movie based on embargo date.

That said, if they do have positive reviews, they should be getting them out to change the narrative and build hype.

It's gonna be really good. Not a single bad comment from the people who actually watched the final cut. And some of them were already sckeptics.

Wait, who talked?

It's going to be middle of the road average and really boring.

So at the very least it'll be the best film in DCU so far.

Nah fam, Man of Steel GOAT TIER.

Hystzen

Review thread going be fun either way

If it reviews good we get some meltdowns
If it reviews bad we get meltdowns and those special snowflakes who appear in a thread to say called it

Im more excited over reading the thread then film

Staf

Man, i hope this is good... I'm a huge Superman and WW fan and i can't fucking stand the three DCEU movies so far. Hopefully this hits it out of the park.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Whether it's one day or three days, DC + Snyder + their apparent nervousness around the film = we have a legitimate right to be worried about how it'll be.

Hystzen

Whether it's one day or three days, DC + Snyder + their apparent nervousness around the film = we have a legitimate right to be worried about how it'll be.

Synders involement is probably him saying "remember that old picture of WW in the war do that as a film if you want"

Top Bottom