• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman review embargo lifts 1 day before release

Another thread topic that makes it seems like its sensationalist and a bomba

Wait for the reviews then if you're on the fence. I'll watch it anyhow as I watch most big cinema release (unless it looks like dogturd aka The Great Wall)

Edit: I initially wrote that is not promising, but Effect makes a good point below that this is standard practice for WB, so it may not indicate the quality of the film.

--

MOS Review Thread was made on 06/12/2013:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585971

Movie released 06/13/2013.

BVS Review Thread was made on 03/22/2016:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1199712

Movie released 03/23/2016.

Suicide Squad Review Thread was made on 08/02/2016:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1256880

Movie released 08/05/2016.

But if the quality of the films have been consistent, shouldn't we be expecting as such?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Edit: I initially wrote that is not promising, but Effect makes a good point below that this is standard practice for WB, so it may not indicate the quality of the film.

--

MOS Review Thread was made on 06/12/2013:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585971

Movie released 06/13/2013.

BVS Review Thread was made on 03/22/2016:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1199712

Movie released 03/23/2016.

Suicide Squad Review Thread was made on 08/02/2016:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1256880

Movie released 08/05/2016.

and all those films were horrible, thus proving the concern.

And who has already seen it? Links please.

Drew McWeeny (one of the first/loudest alarm bells as to BvS' subpar quality) has said none of the same word of mouth or buzz is on Wonder Woman.

Also, this thread is pretty ridiculous as any sort of harbinger of quality. It's just fodder for more confirmation bias. It doesn't actually SAY anything.

It's a good film and the embargo is up two days before release date because that's SOP.

It's a bad film because embargo is only up two days before release, which is really only one day because of preview screenings, so they're obviously trying to hide something.

Pick your poison and drink. But nobody's LEARNING anything here.

Ross61

Drew McWeeny (one of the first/loudest alarm bells as to BvS' subpar quality) has said none of the same word of mouth or buzz is on Wonder Woman.

Also, this thread is pretty ridiculous as any sort of harbinger of quality. It's just fodder for more confirmation bias. It doesn't actually SAY anything.

It's a good film and the embargo is up two days before release date because that's SOP.

It's a bad film because embargo is only up two days before release, which is really only one day because of preview screenings, so they're obviously trying to hide something.

Thank you Bobby

Early twitter rumblings have indicated that WW is going to be a real solid DC outing, so I started poking around to see when reviews drop.

Apparently, WB has the embargo lift on May 31st and the movie drops June 2nd.

What? Does anyone know how far back BvS / SS / MoS embargoes lifted? Is this normal for WB? I'm used to MCU reviews dropping like 3 weeks beforehand.
Early twitter rumblings? Aren't those always positive? I'm pretty sure they were for BVS and Suicide Squad too.

Early twitter rumblings? Aren't those always positive? I'm pretty sure they were for BVS and Suicide Squad too.

Depends on the source. If it's coming from general public, or even worse, fanboys. Then yes, and those aren't worth trusting at all. The little bit of early buzz I've seen on Wonder Woman has come from Professional Critics, like Drew McWeeny, who as Bobby has mentioned was one of the first to warn people that BvS wasn't sounding so hot.

Boke1879

Those are usually from fans. A lot of critics have said they've heard good things and nothing like what they heard with BvS.

That said. We're still doing this thread? Nothing about this is out of the ordinary. Reviews drop that Wednesday. I would have thought Tuesday but oh well.

But I guess this thread does help fuel some "concern"

Theorry

9CvWZTFXyNBio.gif

a916

Well said!

Not expecting many to learn here.

And my post was just calling out Ahasverus to actually back up his points. But thank you for at least pointing to one person saying it doesn't have the same stink as BvS.

LosDaddie

Banned
It would be nice if WB had more confidence in their product and let reviews get posted at least a month out like Marvel does.

Theorry

It would be nice if WB had more confidence in their product and let reviews get posted at least a month out like Marvel does.

Wasnt GoTG also one or two days before release? Believe the embargo ended on the 24th and he movie here went out on the 26th?

zelas

So far I've managed to avoid every DC movie that isnt a solo Batman film. This news and the terrible humor in the trailers have me far from optimistic but I think I'm going to take the plunge anyway. I've got to see the trainwreck that is the DCU for sooner or later.

Lebron

This will be a poor mans First Avenger. Not to say that's a bad thing, when compared to their current garbage track record. Their first decent flick.

And my post was just calling out Ahasverus to actually back up his points. But thank you for at least pointing to one person saying it doesn't have the same stink as BvS.

I know, was just using your post as the jump-off since it was asking the direct question. The rest of it wasn't directed at you, but the thread in general, which is still basically incorrectly titled.

FoneBone

Wait, all those movies were bad though. That's not great evidence of this being standard practice for WB.

Fury Road's embargo was lifted on May 11, four days before release. Still not that early, but it seems like WB uses the one-day embargo for clear stinkers. Suicide Squad had some potential promise with critics because of its unique GOTG-esque style, so they did a three-day embargo with that one. That's my loose (and probably inaccurate) interpretation anyway.

Mad Max premiered at Cannes that week, and AFAIK the festival requires that any movies screening there be embargoed until after their Cannes premiere.

Decisions on when embargoes go up aren't necessarily linked to the perceived quality of the film.

I don't know why people assume this is automatically the case.

I believe both movies were only about two weeks away

Got to remember opens like a week earlier in Europe

Guardians, maybe. Civil War reviews and impressions were all over the net a month out. That's a rare case though, and shouldn't really be the standard. The movie was getting glowing reviews, and you can bet Marvel wanted to get the good news out while BVS was getting obliterated by everybody. Sold more tickets.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
Wonder Woman looks like crap. Gal Gadot can't act. Anyone who buys a ticket for Day 1 and expects this to be good obviously can't learn from the past. DC movies are a mess and WB's shitty corporate managers are most likely to blame. But line up anyways and line their pockets I guess.

Early twitter rumblings have indicated that WW is going to be a real solid DC outing, so I started poking around to see when reviews drop.

Apparently, WB has the embargo lift on May 31st and the movie drops June 2nd.

What? Does anyone know how far back BvS / SS / MoS embargoes lifted? Is this normal for WB? I'm used to MCU reviews dropping like 3 weeks beforehand.

When embargo lifts that late, it means it's likely dogshit

Ross61

Wonder Woman looks like crap. Gal Gadot can't act. Anyone who buys a ticket for Day 1 and expects this to be good obviously can't learn from the past. DC movies are a mess and WB's shitty corporate managers are most likely to blame. But line up anyways and line their pockets I guess.
There's a lot to unpack here.

Im excited for it, this seems sensationalist (as do most dceu threads on gaf), i think alot of people here already have a stance on dc films and even if this turns out to be good/fresh on rt people will find away to squeeze it in with how they feel about rest of them. Which is understandable its like if you dont like the majority of the marvel films your probably not gonna love the new one. But it seems like a lot of people want to see this bomb, why dont we wait til reviews hit first before saying this confirms any bias you may have had.

Top Bottom