• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman review embargo lifts 1 day before release

a916

Decisions on when embargoes go up aren't necessarily linked to the perceived quality of the film.

I don't know why people assume this is automatically the case.

It fits whatever narrative some people are trying to spin... and will no doubt spin if the reviews do turn out to be poor.

That's what I generally think about late embargo liftings too. Or do you have evidence and reasoning as to why people shouldn't think that way?

Yeah, pay attention to almost every other post of mine in the thread.

They're all right up there.

Degree of difficulty: You have to read.

ZeoVGM

Banned
That's not really how opinions work.

I disagree with the guy, but offering a RT score as proof that his opinion is invalid is what's silly.

I didn't say his opinion on the movie was wrong. I said the opposite actually.

My point is that replying to someone "but it sucked" as some sort of argument is silly.

Yeah, pay attention to almost every other post of mine in the thread.

They're all right up there.

You have to read.
1062.gif

For the most part, yes. Heck early twitter reactions were positive for Fantastic Four 2015 so anything goes really.

The only positive reactions to that movie.

Anyway, I hope Wonder Woman is good, but I have no faith in it. I'll be genuinely surprised if it's even mediocre.

Oh right. That was a fun b movie

I was mostly just thinking about the Uma Thurman one and then the marvel ones directed by the wastemans whedon and Johnston

MisterHero

Every movie with avenger in the title has not been good
Captain America was forced to use "Avenger" in the title, the rest of the freedom-hating world can't stand his name

If WW has even a fraction of the heart of Captain America then I'll be pleased.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/captain_america_the_first_avenger/

If you didn't like it, that's fine. But making an argument that it sucked -- as a basis against Wonder Woman looking like a poor man's version of it -- when you're actually in the minority with that opinion, is silly.

Average rating: 6.9

But let me add a disclaimer to my opinion. I thought it sucked. My benchmark for saying something sucks is if I think it it's below average. First Avenger was a below average movie.

To me, most Marvel movies are a whole lot of meh. Nothing is consequential. Gosh, I wish there was no Iron Man in Cap3. It's like RDJ knows that the last two Iron Man movies suck and both Avengers movies were on the bad side of meh, so he had to butt in on the only major Marvel superhero that had a good film this decade.

If Wonder Woman is actually as good as The First Avenger it will likely save the DCEU.

They'll have a character they center a universe around at that point.

A lot of people didn't realize after First Avenger came out that Marvel just unlocked the key to their universe (and The Avengers) being viable.

but Wonder Woman being as good as that movie was isn't guaranteed. Or even, with all this positive behind-the-scenes buzz going, likely.

Wondy is my favourite DC hero, I will try to stay hopeful.
That said, WW is relatively unknown to the international fanbase, I really hope she'd do well enough to "justify" more female heroes flicks for the shareholders.

If there isn't a date set, is there even an embargo?

Not that it matters much. Once people start tweeting, that's how the WOM is going to spread anyway. Get three or four outlets doing their tweet roundups or whatever...

wetwired

First reactions via EW More on the link

Mike Ryan ✔ @mikeryan
Loved WONDER WOMAN. She reminds me of Christopher Reeve's Superman: true north superhero w/ no angst or cynicism, which is needed right now.

Adam B. Vary ✔ @adambvary
Happy — no, RELIEVED — to report that #WonderWoman is truly good. Funny, stirring, kick-ass, romantic. A solid, entertaining superhero film.

JoBlo.com ✔ @joblocom
Our own @JimmytotheO has seen #WonderWoman! He calls it "Fantastic! As touching as it is thrilling!" Full review soon!

Steven Weintraub ✔ @colliderfrosty
Happy to report 'Wonder Woman' is a blast and @GalGadot is fantastic. Her chemistry with Chris Pine is magnetic. Absolutely recommended.

Kate Erbland ✔ @katerbland
WONDER WOMAN: Easily my favorite DCEU film. Has the humor and heart the franchise so desperately needs. Gadot and Pine are charming as hell.

Umberto Gonzalez ✔ @elmayimbe
#WonderWoman is hands down the best DCEU Film to date! Film is SO GOOD. I absolutely loved it! Bravo @PattyJenks @GalGadot @GeoffJohns ����⚔️

Anna Klassen ✔ @AnnaJKlassen
The embargo has officially lifted, so here it goes: WONDER WOMAN is, against all odds, pretty damn wondrous.

ErikDavis ✔ @ErikDavis
WONDER WOMAN is great. My favorite of the recent DC movies. It's fierce, funny, well-written and badass. @GalGadot owns it. Her lasso FTW

J_Viper

Third acts sucking is kind of mandatory for superhero movies. Wonder(heh) how much it will suck

Trying to think of great comic flick third acts

Civil War
Hulk (yeah really, the last scene between Nolte and Bana is a fucking sight to behold)
Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2
Hellboy

That's all I got off the top of my head

Timu

Civil War
Hulk (yeah really, the last scene between Nolte and Bana is a fucking sight to behold)
Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2
Hellboy

I would add The Dark Knight and The Avengers as well.

MisterHero

I hope Gadot gets a huge raise

$300,000 per film is kinda low for a prestigious character like Wonder Woman

granted that was figure from a couple years ago. maybe she's getting more already

Xero

Civil War
Spider-Man
Spider-Man 2
Hellboy

Road to perdition.

Top Bottom