• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you want VFXVeteran to Review PS5 graphics-tech exclusives?

Would you want VFXVeteran to review PS5/PC graphics tech exclusives

• Yes

Votes: 112 39.3%
  • No

Votes: 151 53.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 39 13.7%

• Total voters
For all of you who are asking who he is...

Are you going to give me a job or something? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

COMPUTER SKILLS
 Programming Languages: C/C++11, C#, x86 Assembly, Java, and Python
 Operating Systems: Windows and Linux/Unix
 Applications: Maya, Unity, Unreal, Visual Studio IDE, Nsight Compute and GPU PerfStudio
 Graphics Skills: CUDA, OpenGL, DirectX, GLSL, OpenSceneGraph, VR/AR, HoloLens, Arnold, and
Renderman
ACHIEVEMENTS
 Primary Developer of the first shareware volumetric cloud plugin for Autodesk’s popular Maya 3D software
package. As a part of this achievement, Autodesk distributed this plugin on their Conductor’s CD at
SIGGRAPH99 to all developers. Samples of work was published in the 3rd Edition of Texturing & Modeling:
A Procedural Approach by David Ebert, Ken Perlin, Ken Musgrave, and Darwyn Peachey.
 Member of the Golden Key National Honor Society
EDUCATION
Game Institue, Online Oct 2016 – May 2017
 C# Programming
 3D Graphics and Game Engine Programming using OpenGL
 Game Mathematics
 Unity
University of Maryland Baltimore County, Baltimore, MD December 1999
 Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
Community College of the Air Force, Montgomery, AL
 Associate of Applied Science in Avionics Guidance and Control

EMPLOYMENT HISTORY
Lockheed Martin Missle & Fire Control, Grand Prarie, TX June 2017 – Present

Sr. Software Engineer (SECRET CLEARANCE)
Modeling/Simulation Framework (Missile Simulation Framework);
TacWarrior/Sceptre(OSGEarth realtime application);
HoloLens(AR/VR application R&D);
 Developer of Operational Flight Program (OFP) and Modeling and Simulation Framework (MSF)
for missile flight simulation using C++/CUDA.
 Helped develop MSF/OFP infrastructure using AGILE, Scrum and code reviews using confluence
 Primary Developer of TacScape/TacWarrior OpenGL realtime visualization
 Mentor of a small team of developers for C++ algorithms support with TTVS
 Developer of GLSL shaders for our custom realtime rendering software using OpenScenGraph
 Helped develop a test case of AR/VR application for the US military using Unity 3D
 Collaborate with teams to complete US Navy/Army contracts using flight planning software.

ReelFX Animation Studios, Dallas, TX Nov 2007 – Oct 2016
Sr. Software Engineer
Scooby-Doo (upcoming CG Animated Feature Film);Free Birds(CG Animated Feature Film); Book of Life (CG
Animated Feature Film); Looney Tunes Shorts (CG Animated Shorts);
 Primary Developer of all in-house shaders including various physically-based materials such as
hair, diffuse, specular, refraction, procedural textures, and procedural geometry.
 Researched and Developed various path tracing techniques such as importance sampling for
solving inherent noise issues as a result of using a path tracer/Monte Carlo rendering.
 Primary Developer on the Alembic Pipeline for Maya/Arnold.
 Software Lead for developing tools for our texture and lighting departments such as applications
rendering physically-based lighting and shading, as well as procedural phenomena like smoke,
terrain, and surfaces
 Designer/Implementor for the entire shader building pipeline using Arnold, Renderman and
Mental Ray

Walt Disney Feature Animation, Burbank, CA Jan 2005 – Aug 2007
Sr. Software Engineer
Chicken Little(CG Animated Feature Film); Meet the Robinsons (CG Animated Feature Film); Bolt (CG Animated
Feature Film)
 Primary owner, Developer and support of the FX volume renderer for creating special effects such as clouds,
smoke, fire, etc.
 Look development software supporter for tools such as TileTool, Render pipeline scripts, Lumiere for Maya,
and Cloth (Flattener) tools.
 Designer/Implementor for the entire shader building pipeline using Renderman.

Omation Studios, San Clemente, CA May 2004 – Dec 2004
R&D Programmer
The Barnyard (CG Animated Feature Film)
 Primary Author and Developer of the texture and lighting tools for development of shaders and
texture/lighting pipeline support for the 3d animated feature The Barnyard
 Troubleshot scenes that have rendering issues with Mental Ray in the XSI environment

PDI/Dreamworks, Redwood City, CA July 2003 – April 2004
FX Developer
Shrek 2 (CG Animated Feature Film)
 Developed a particle map tool for use in creating decals and designs on clothing, wet maps for the
appearence of water on skin, and projections of textures on surfaces.
 Implemented an extruding curve geometry tool for use in creating various procedural geometric objects like
vines, foliage, and hair. This allowed curve primatives to have actual uv surfaces for using displacement
mapping and texturing.
 Developed the fx_glitter tool that allowed the director to use any geometric primitive on any procedural
point on a curve. This tool was used for creating glitter in hair for a character in Shrek2.

ESC Entertainment, Alameda, CA April 2002 – June 2003
Color & Lighting TD - ShaderWriter
The Matrix: Reloaded (Feature Film); The Matrix: Revolutions (Feature Film)
 Primary Author and Developer of the entire procedural noise library for development of shaders for Matrix
Revolutions using Mental Ray’s API.
 Primary Developer and supporter of various VFX tools for Matrix Reloaded/Revolutions.
 Designer/Implementor of Mental->Maya shader conversion tool. This tool allowed the user to view
MentalRay shaders in Maya and switch back and forth between the two to bypass the process of exporting
shaders from Maya.

20th Century Fox/Blue Sky Studios, White Plains, NY Jan 2000 – Dec 2001
Production Programmer
Ice Age (CG Animated Feature Film)
 Co-Author and Co-Developer of Blue Sky Studio’s ConvertShader Tool for Maya.
 Designer/Implementor of the Maya Poser Tool for Animators/Riggers.

And besides all of that, he could bring a unique perspective with his contacts.

I say yes. Let's judge him on his content.

But VFXVeteran VFXVeteran I'd rather you not just focus on PS5 to be honest. I also appreciate you striving to be impartial. Just don't end up like some who are obviously slanted one way or the other.

And one thing to keep in mind. Fanboys are just going to come at you no matter what if you speak a negative that goes against the narrative they are getting from their sides "PR". Best not go into this thinking you are going to make, and keep, friends from any certain camp if you really are trying to be objective. No studio gets everything 100% right so there are always going to be flaws to expose, even if minor. And that's ok, fans will understand... Fanboys won't, however. And they are very loud...

Another thing to note. We all have our biases mate. It's ok to acknowledge them. The trick is to be as fair and mature as possible when dealing with them.

Last edited:
The problem is not his CV or his skills. The problem is his strong negative opinions about anything related to Playstation. No problem with that on itself, but it could be a problem if he is specifically reviewing PS5 games as his opinions will inevitably influence his statements.
Judge him on his content. He is a member of Gaf. You have a perfect place to discuss it. Maturely of course.

Lethal01

Judge him on his content. He is a member of Gaf. You have a perfect place to discuss it. Maturely of course.

But we've been plagued by his content in the form of his posts for ages. It's a load of shit and far too often provable false.
If he wants to make videos he can start by doing one with PS4 to prove that he can actually think logically if he wants to, until then I don't see why we would want to see the nonsense he spews condensed into video form.

But we've been plagued by his content in the form of his posts for ages. It's a load of shit and far too often provable false.
If he wants to make videos he can start by doing one with PS4 to prove that he can actually think logically if he wants to, until then I don't see why we would want to see the nonsense he spews condensed into video form.
If his posts thus far haven't been up to your standards then most likely nothing he makes will. Though presumably he would be treating this as a project, which I would assume he would treat with professionalism. Unlike casually posting on a forum.

Some of us who aren't plagued with confirmation bias, and who aren't snowflakes who can't read anything that challenges our preferences can parse out the nuggets of beneficial info he has to provide.

Don't like his attitude? No one is making you or anyone else not block him or watch the vids.

Actually want to try to change his attitude because you really do care and want to have a conversation as best you can despite each others biases? Be polite and mature and try to have a discussion. All I've ever seen is people jumping on his nuts. He's like a buck attracting all the does in heat. You all act like you can't help yourselves with how you respond. But you can.

Lethal01

If his posts thus far haven't been up to your standards then most likely nothing he makes will. Though presumably he would be treating this as a project, which I would assume he would treat with professionalism. Unlike casually posting on a forum.

Some of us who aren't plagued with confirmation bias, and who aren't snowflakes who can't read anything that challenges our preferences can parse out the nuggets of beneficial info he has to provide.

Don't like his attitude? No one is making you or anyone else not block him or watch the vids.

Actually want to try to change his attitude because you really do care and want to have a conversation as best you can despite each others biases? Be polite and mature and try to have a discussion. All I've ever seen is people jumping on his nuts. He's like a buck attracting all the does in heat. You all act like you can't help yourselves with how you respond. But you can.

You are right we can help ourselves, and we are helping ourselves by giving the appropriate response. He asked if we want review for him and I said why I think they would a be a waste of time. Why look through 10 posts worth of timdogs posts so I can spot the one time he gives solid info the I already know?

His input for the last year has rarely been thoughtful or informative, yes there is a chance he could do better if he were trying to make a professional video, but he has not given any reason to believe so and thus there isn't a response other that "No" when he asks if we think he should make them.

You are right we can help ourselves, and we are helping ourselves by giving the appropriate response. He asked if we want review for him and I said why I think they would a be a waste of time. Why look through 10 posts worth of timdogs posts so I can spot the one time he gives solid info the I already know?

His input for the last year has rarely been thoughtful or informative, yes there is a chance he could do better if he were trying to make a professional video, but he has not given any reason to believe so and thus there isn't a response other that "No" when he asks if we think he should make them.
He isn't anywhere near timdog, I can't stand that guy. I've read nearly all of VFX's posts. I watch him carefully because I know how much he gets dogpiled. You are being disingenuous so I'm going to disengage until you feel like having a mature, respectful conversation. I don't have the mental fortitude for this right now. I just got done with armwrestling practice and I feel like a drained battery.

Lethal01

He isn't anywhere near timdog, I can't stand that guy. I've read nearly all of VFX's posts. I watch him carefully because I know how much he gets dogpiled. You are being disingenuous so I'm going to disengage until you feel like having a mature, respectful conversation. I don't have the mental fortitude for this right now. I just got done with armwrestling practice and I feel like a drained battery.
Feel free, He's nowhere near as bad as timdog, I never said he was, but the point is that both spew loads of crap and you act like someone is lesser because they choose not to dig through it to get comment on the moments he's sensible. His posts get dogpiled because they are often spewing nonsense and luckily people know better.

The mature thing to do would be to accept how ridiculous he's been and understand why people wouldn't want to hear what he has to say. I'm not going to spend extra time thinking of the nicest way to say that he's been saying bumb stuff for months straight.
Now like I said, he could make a video to actually demonstrate he could be better. but he hasn't

Last edited:

xPikYx

It's an opinion like any other, so, sure, go for it. Make it easy to access and I will read it with pleasure

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The problem is not his CV or his skills. The problem is his strong negative opinions about anything related to Playstation. No problem with that on itself, but it could be a problem if he is specifically reviewing PS5 games as his opinions will inevitably influence his statements.

I'm sorry, but that CV just drives home why when he was shooting his mouth off about why the PS5's i/o stack is irrelevant he was well out of his area of expertise.

Frankly I've found his attitude frequently disrespectful of how console development works, the constraints and compromises that come with having to be performant within the parameters set by the game design/direction and on limited, fixed hardware.

This, to me, is a critical fail, because in my opinion technical analysis should be appreciative of the craft and technique, not just the benefits of pouring a surplus of resources onto any given task. This aspect is one of the main reasons I far prefer NXGamer's breakdowns to DF's.

Azurro

Banned
For all of you who are asking who he is...

It's clear he has knowledge of computer graphics rendering, and very respectable at that. However, it seems he lacks understanding of rendering realtime graphics, which is quite a different task than offline rendering, where you can just toss what you want at a render farm to complete (within reason). Anyway, I respect that CV a lot, but frankly that knowledge doesn't seem to come across in his forum posts.

Of course he could do a video, nobody is tying his hands in a basement and keeping him from doing that, but I am almost certain it would not be worthwhile content, given his wilful ignorance about certain parts of the PS5 design and continued wrong narratives he pushes. I don't understand that attitude, and maybe given his experience, it could be due to arrogance, but he comes more often across as a typical 16 year nerd trying to win a troll war rather than an experienced developer with a lot of insight.

Remember, just because someone is a developer doesn't mean they can't be a fanboy.

thelastword

Banned
What exclusives does PC have that are so graphically demanding these days? Or is it that you want to pit PS games coming to PC or games which have like Detroit, Death Stranding, Horizon and possibly MLB.....If it is that you just want to go on a hoot about better resolutions on PC. What's the point when PS players have played the games years before they came to PC...

For one who prefers PC and XBOX. Why don't you show us the differences between Forza 8 Series X vs a PC with an RTX 3090 instead.

fersnake

giphy.gif

BlvckFox

Gold Member
I don’t see why not fam. For people who support you and those who don’t, I’m sure it’ll be entertaining.

diffusionx

Gold Member
What exclusives does PC have that are so graphically demanding these days? Or is it that you want to pit PS games coming to PC or games which have like Detroit, Death Stranding, Horizon and possibly MLB.....If it is that you just want to go on a hoot about better resolutions on PC. What's the point when PS players have played the games years before they came to PC...

For one who prefers PC and XBOX. Why don't you show us the differences between Forza 8 Series X vs a PC with an RTX 3090 instead.

Minecraft RT

oagboghi2

People are judging him on his content. That's why people are seeing through this bullshit attempt at trolling.

Why can't we not be like this girl below, and give it a chance? If you don't like it, don't click it maybe?

You know, he didn't have to make this thread. He didn't have to announce this bullshit. Think, for a second why he is?

Last edited:

zcaa0g

Banned
I have no dog in this fight outside of freedom so...

Step 1: Tell the haters to fuck off.

Step 2; Do what your heart tells you to do.

Step 3: Tell your heart to fuck off and do what your brain tells you to do.

People are judging him on his content. That's why people are seeing through this bullshit attempt at trolling.

You know, he didn't have to make this thread. He didn't have to announce this bullshit. Think, for a second why he is?
You know, no one had to click on it, no one had to respond to it, yet here we are... I don't see why he shouldn't be able to exercise his freedom of speech.

Jon Neu

Banned
Feel free, He's nowhere near as bad as timdog, I never said he was, but the point is that both spew loads of crap and you act like someone is lesser because they choose not to dig through it to get comment on the moments he's sensible. His posts get dogpiled because they are often spewing nonsense and luckily people know better.

The mature thing to do would be to accept how ridiculous he's been and understand why people wouldn't want to hear what he has to say. I'm not going to spend extra time thinking of the nicest way to say that he's been saying bumb stuff for months straight.
Now like I said, he could make a video to actually demonstrate he could be better. but he hasn't

It's funny how the habitual Sony poster lacks even the tiniest bit of self-awareness to not understand how ironic is to call other people on their bias when the forum is run by the habitual dogpiling and low level discourse fanboyism of such Sony fans bias.

Thank God this forum has users like VFXVeteran VFXVeteran or thicc_girls_are_teh_best thicc_girls_are_teh_best that are outside the Sony narrative, otherwise this forum will be so incredibly boring and tiresome.

Lethal01

It's funny how the habitual Sony poster lacks even the tiniest bit of self-awareness to not understand how ironic is to call other people on their bias when the forum is run by the habitual dogpiling and low level discourse fanboyism of such Sony fans bias.

Thank God this forum has users like VFXVeteran VFXVeteran or thicc_girls_are_teh_best thicc_girls_are_teh_best that are outside the Sony narrative, otherwise this forum will be so incredibly boring and tiresome.

My bias is towards PC and Nintendo. Unlike VFX it doesn't lead me to posting demonstrably false info

Last edited:

Lethal01

Again, total lack of self-awareness.

I'm aware of my bias, you just want me to be biased towards Sony due to your bias. If Microsoft were killing it with the XBSX I'd be "biased' towards that instead.
However, unlike VFX my bias hasn't lead me to posting nonstop barrages of laughable claims.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
I'm aware of my bias

No, you aren't.

If Microsoft were killing it with the XBSX I'd be "biased' towards that instead.

Report me for trolling MS/Xbox threads > 07/02

However, unlike VFX my bias hasn't lead me to posting nonstop barrages of laughable claims.

You're making some in this thread alone, pal.

The fact that those laughable claims reflect on the vast most preferred narrative of this subforum and therefore you are being positively rewarded instead of being dogpiled like VFXVeteran VFXVeteran is almost everytime he speaks about Sony, isn't a reflection on your claims being less laughable, just a collective confirmation bias from which you feed from, making you believe that you somehow make less laughable claims that someone with the track record in the industry such as VFXVeteran VFXVeteran .

Again, no shred of self-awareness found.

Top Bottom