• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Arcade - Announcements and News 2011 Edition

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
First Section 8: Prejudice DLC Details Revealed
http://electronictheatre.co.uk/inde...irst-section-8-prejudice-dlc-details-revealed

Currently in nearing the end of its development phase, TimeGate Studios’ Section 8: Prejudice is set to be made available digitally on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC for a reasonable price. In addition to the greatly expanded Campaign mode, the game will also offer plenty of new multiplayer content, both in the initial release and later as downloadable content (DLC).

In a recent Question and Answer (Q&A) session with Electronic Theatre, Mark Yetter, Section 8: Prejudice’s Game Designer at Timegate Studios, stated that the team already have firm Electronic Theatre Imageplans for the DLC set to be offered after the initial launch of the game. “We have some very interesting DLC plans,” offered Yatter. “For starters, these will include new maps and even a few new game modes, which we think players will really enjoy.”

Kafel

Banned
Spelunky on XBLA will have four player local multiplayer.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/01/spelunky-on-xbla-will-have-four-player-local-multiplayer/

spelunkyxbla-multi_599x362.jpg

denomes

Newish 360 owner here. I have had 800 points burning a hole in my virtual pocket for a while now. What exclusive XBLA/XBLIG titles should I pick up? I am currently considering:

- Beyond Good and Evil
- 'Splosion Man
- Toy Soldiers (on sale currently)

I have Shadow Complex, Banjo-Kazooie, and Rez HD already. I am also getting The Maw and Snoopy's Flying Ace through a promotion. I am waiting for Hard Corps to hit PS3.

What do you recommend? Any XBLA titles I've overlooked? Any must-have XBLIG titles?

Kafel

Banned
denomes said:
Newish 360 owner here. I have had 800 points burning a hole in my virtual pocket for a while now. What exclusive XBLA/XBLIG titles should I pick up? I am currently considering:

- Beyond Good and Evil
- 'Splosion Man

I have Shadow Complex, Banjo-Kazooie, and Rez HD already. I am also getting The Maw and Snoopy's Flying Ace through a promotion. I am waiting for Hard Corps to hit PS3.

What do you recommend? Any XBLA titles I've overlooked? Any must-have XBLIG titles?

There are demos for everything. If you're new to the 360, you can spend weeks of joy only trying the games. You'll make no mistake by doing this first and not following someone else's taste.

The XBLIG have their own threads btw.

denomes said:

- Beyond Good and Evil
- 'Splosion Man

Of those three choices, it's a toss up between Toy Soldiers & BG&E HD.

Go with Toy Soldiers if you dig "tower defense" games. Or go with BG&E HD if you dig action-adventure games in the vein of Zelda:OoT.

Which ever one you end up choosing, you'll get a great experience.

Kafel

Banned
Wrecked – Revenge Revisited, from the creators of Mashed.

customisation, 24 challenges divided across four disciplines for single-player, and four-player local or online multiplayer

ss_preview_wrecked_logo_final.jpg.jpg

ss_preview_wrecked_rr_screen_1.jpg.jpg

ss_preview_wrecked_rr_screen_2.jpg.jpg

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
XBLA Islands of Wakfu release date
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-02-xbla-islands-of-wakfu-release-date

Xbox Live Arcade game Islands of Wakfu will release on 30th March, developer Ankama Games has announced.

This handsome co-op action RPG-slash-shoot-'em-up will cost 1200 Microsoft Points.

Islands of Wakfu presents two playable heroes: Nora who punches and kicks and teleports, and Efrim her dragon brother who flies around spewing fire balls.

There's apparently a lot of content stretched over 14 levels, and a super-duper easy-peasy Goddess mode to drop down to should the Initiate level be a bit tricky.

What's more, 12 Achievements await that also unlock content in outrageously popular free-to-play MMO Dofus.

Kafel

Banned
C-C-C-COMBO!

Code:
[B][U]Coming soon to the Xbox LIVE Marketplace[/U][/B]

[B]Xbox LIVE Deal of the Week:[/B]

[I]Week of March 7[/I] - Lara Croft Specials
  	                                                    Price 	      Savings
Lara Croft & The Guardian of Light 	     600 	         50%
Raziel & Kane Character Pack 	             200 	         50%
A Hazardous Reunion Challenge Pack 3     200 	         50%
All the Trappings Challenge Pack 1 	     200 	         50%
T-Rex Pet 	                               120 	         50%

[I]Week of March 14[/I]: St. Patrick’s Day
  	                                                    Price 	      Savings
Clover: A Curious Tale 	                      200 	          50%
Rock Band - "Bad Luck" 	                       80 	          50%
Rock Band - Green Day Pack 01 	              220 	          50%
Lips - "Some Guys Have All The Luck" 	       80 	          50%
Lips - "Chasing Cars"                                80 	          50%
Green Avatar Tux 	                              120 	          50%
Leprechaun Avatar Prop 	                      120 	          50%
Green Shamrock Avatar Tee 	                40 	          50%
Red Dead Redemption Irish T-Shirt 	        40 	          50%
NBA2K11 Celtics Jersey 	                      120 	          50%

[I]Xbox LIVE Avatar Marketplace[/I]:

March 3: Robots
March 10: Halo: Reach (update to existing collection)

[I]Xbox 360 Game Add-ons[/I]
  	                                                               Release Date 	         Price

Dragon Age 2 Exiled Prince                                      March 8                560
Dragon Age 2 The Black Emporium                           March 8                800
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit Porsche Unleashed          March 8                 560
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved Add-ons Sale              March 8 - 14       50%-60% off
Halo: Reach Defiant Map Pack                                  March 15               800
Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Jill Character                           March 15               400
Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Shuma Character                    March 15                400

[I]Xbox LIVE Arcade: House Party time![/I]

March 9th, Torchlight, 1200 Microsoft Points
March 16th Full House Poker, 800 Microsoft Points

[I]Xbox 360 Games on Demand:[/I]

March 8, Kane & Lynch 2
March 15, Halo: Reach

Plus, today Kinect Joy Ride receives a title update that adds LIVE play to two modes and a new driver cam feature at no cost.

mn

Kafel said:
Wrecked – Revenge Revisited, from the creators of Mashed.

I was scrolling and seen the pictures before the text and instantly thought of Mashed. Had some good times playing that back with some mates. Looking forward to it! Thanks for the heads up.

bathala

Banned
IGN's Torchlight review
6.5 Presentation
Torchlight's story is a minimal thread to hang the mechanics off of, and the menus are clunky but functional.
7.0 Graphics
Some fun, colorful character design and great lighting and effects are hampered by serious framerate issues when things get nuts.
8.0 Sound
Torchlight's score is so Diablo-like it's... well, it might as well be Diablo. That's not bad. The sound effects are minimal and repetititve though.
8.0 Gameplay
Torchlight has the best action RPG loot system since Diablo II, and the console-centric modifications make the game play well with a controller. No co-op though.
8.5 Lasting Appeal
The lack of co-op hurts, but if you enjoy Torchlight, it will last you longer than most XBLA games, with a main quest that will run 7 hours and a reason to play through again.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Animales de la Muerte for PC, PSN, XBLA

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-03-03-animales-de-la-muerte-for-pc-psn-xbla

Animales de la Muerte, a formerly Wii-exclusive twin-stick shooter from Conduit developer High Voltage, has crossed the floor and will now launch on PC, PlayStation Network and Xbox Live Arcade later this year.

The game, which sees you gunning down hoardes of undead animals in order to liberate uninfected critters from the city zoo, was originally unveiled as a Wii title in 2008.

Now, nearly three years later, High Voltage has announced it will not be heading to a Nintendo platform after all.

"We felt like it was maybe a better fit on the next gen platforms, both content-wise and gameplay-wise," studio mouthpiece Eric Stoll told Eurogamer. "We can have more enemies on screen, and it's probably a little more acceptable to have really over-the-top violence in an Xbox game than on the Wii.

"Sure," he added when pushed on whether commercial concerns played a role too. "That definitely factored into our decision as well. I'd definitely say Xbox Live games outsell WiiWare games."

The game features two player co-operative and competitive modes, and will launch later this year.

ss_preview_HVS_Animales_3_1_2011_04.jpg.jpg

ss_preview_HVS_Animales_3_1_2011_10.jpg.jpg

BurgerTime HD:

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/03/0...simple-remake-of-burgertime-with-hd-graphics/

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/115/1153222p1.html

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/03/03/burgertime-hd-level-complete-gameplay?objectid=101936

On the build I was playing, there were two modes available. Burger Battle is a mode that will be familiar to BurgerTime veterans, because it's essentially a fresher take on the core gameplay from the original game. In the old BurgerTime, the main character named Peter Pepper would run around a screen full of platforms, ladders and enemies in an attempt to reunite stray pieces of a burger. The two halves of a bun on the screen would need to be combined with the vegetables and meat at the heart of the burger to ultimately finish the stage. Meanwhile, Peter has to avoid (or destroy) enemies and pull off some artful ladder-climbing and platforming to stay alive and complete the task at hand.

Most of this remains the same in BurgerTime HD, though there are some minor tweaks that BurgerTime purists will no doubt spot (most notably the busier screens with more obstacles and enemies than usual). The second mode is called Rocket Race, and it completely turns the BurgerTime formula on its head. Peter will have to run through labyrinth-like screens collecting rockets that he can use to sputter around. By rocketing around, dodging enemies and other deadly obstacles, Peter can again reunite the stray parts of a burger together, collecting more and more points as he completes more burgers in the time allotted.

Ha, they're doing a bit more to Burgertime than expected. Still seems like a weird one to bring back and HDify. (totally a word)

Trenched looks awesome from what little they've shown. I'm loving the diversity coming from Double Fine's downloadable stuff. I'd really love to see more big studios give something like this a go, DF have clearly shown you can be alot more creative with this kind of iniative.

Can't wait to find out more about it.

Kafel

Banned
I'm reading the article, this guy's résumé is impressive.

So another exclusive for the XBLA. I feel sorry for those not acknowledging this platform (and the XBLIG) as truly amazing 360 efforts.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Shame about the Torchlight framerate. I have 1400 pts being shipped in prep for the 8th, but I'll probably hold out in hopes for a patch.

Which will likely never come, knowing Runic (fix for PC load times acknowledged, but they decided not to implement it).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Atomski said:
Really hope Twisted Shadow Planet is good. Love the art.

Is there a new update about the game or something, or did you just look at the old shots? (I agree, FWIW)

Edit: I somehow missed Kifimbo's post a few posts back, really sorry Kifimbo!

Kafel

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Is there a new update about the game or something, or did you just look at the old shots? (I agree, FWIW)

Update in a week.

edit : something new maybe while waiting for the 11th :

M. Gagné said:
It's not a shooter.It's not a puzzle-game.It's not an exploration game. It's a concept never seen before.

OnPoint

Lyphen said:
Shame about the Torchlight framerate. I have 1400 pts being shipped in prep for the 8th, but I'll probably hold out in hopes for a patch.

Which will likely never come, knowing Runic (fix for PC load times acknowledged, but they decided not to implement it).

Honestly, the framerate isn't that bad. It was only REALLY noticable for me when there were lots of enemies and I used a special attack. The game is playable.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ElQKCz45y4&feature=feedu

Fancy Pants Adventures - GDC 2011: First Look Debut Trailer

Another look at the stylish platformer headed to XBLA and PSN. The Fancy Pants Adventures, coming to Xbox LIVE Arcade and PlayStation Network in Spring 2011. Developed by Over The Top Games in partnership with Borne Games and EA 2D, The Fancy Pants Adventures casts players in the role of the game's hero - a hand-drawn stick figure named Fancy Pants Man who embarks on a mission to rescue his kidnapped sister, Cutie Pants. Sporting his trademark orange pants and a Mohawk, Fancy Pants Man begins his journey in Squiggleville, racing through unique open levels where he must defeat challenging enemies and overcome clever obstacles. Along the way, Fancy Pants will need to utilize a number of tricks and even unlock the ability to wield weapons in order to aid him on his quest to overcome the Pirates.

DOWNLOAD the Xbox Live Arcade Marketplace: Spring 2011.

Fancy Pants Adventures - GDC 2011: First Look Debut Trailer (2011) XBLA | HD
Developer: Over the Top Games
Release Date: Spring 2011
Genre: Adventure, Platformer
Platform: XBLA, PSN
Publisher: Electronic Arts
ESRB: E (Mild Cartoon Violence)

Top Bottom