• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown Plus (Vita) Out Now in Europe

DrFurbs

Hmmm I just installed the ps3 version. Is the Vita version any different? I work away so maybe it's best I get the Vita version.. Grr decisions.

Personally, I've found the moaning and groaning of performance issues and ugly textures to be a bit exaggerated.

Maybe it's because I have played Borderlands 2 on my Vita and know what to expect from full console releases on the Vita. Maybe because I never played the console/PC/mobile version of the game.

But I had a good time with the few missions I played last night. The tutorial is the worst-performing part...but really, this is a turn-based game, it can have frame dips and relative chugginess.

I enjoyed it quite a bit and can't wait to play more. Thumbs up here!

We were all spoiled by Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3. Such a fantastic Vita port.

That being said, I played Borderlands 2 for tons of hours on Vita and I just got used to it naturally. To this day I'll still say it's not that bad and very playable if you don't have any other way to play it.

I'll get this once it goes on sale in a few months.

HotHamBoy

Definitely a buy but I'll wait for a sale - but only because I have the game on PS3 and iPad already.

Looks like it's absolutely worth the $20 if it's your only way to play and you haven't played it before, or you want buttons for a portable version. Yeah, performance and visuals don't look hot, but it's a turn-based game and it's XCOM on the go! One of the very best games from last gen on a handheld!

depward

Never played X-Com and jumped in with this vita version.

So far it's pretty good stuff! Enjoying it.

Performance isn't HORRIBLE but I have nothing to base it off of.

Also appreciate the $20 price point.

Never played X-Com and jumped in with this vita version.

So far it's pretty good stuff! Enjoying it.

Performance isn't HORRIBLE but I have nothing to base it off of.

Also appreciate the $20 price point.

It is a great game. Im gonna get the Vita version next week as my 8th copy of the game. Just dont get excited for the lackluster sequel once you finish this.

MattyG

Banned
It is a great game. Im gonna get the Vita version next week as my 8th copy of the game. Just dont get excited for the lackluster sequel once you finish this.
Goddammit, I was just about to get this version since I don't have my PC or PS3 in my dorm and finally do a complete playthrough of EU/EW and then get 2. It looks so good, but I keep hearing mixed things about it :/

Just finished my first month on Iron Man Classic. It doesn't look very hot and the performance isn't good, but man, I had forgotten how great this game is.

Totally worth it.

Meneses

Ok, everywhere I look says the Elite Soldier pack is included, but I can never change my soldier's armor (it says "not available" in the customize menu), and the extra hair isn't there either.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Performance is poor, but the game is great! I don't regret my 20€, it's the RTS fix I was waiting for since Tactics Ogre LUCT.

Which are the most enjoyable settings for a first play through (should I check some of the boxes in the "second wave" menu)?

I don't have anything that I need to prove to myself, so I won't be choosing Iron man mode before I understand the game.

Which are the most enjoyable settings for a first play through (should I check some of the boxes in the "second wave" menu)?

I don't have anything that I need to prove to myself, so I won't be choosing Iron man mode before I understand the game.
If you don't have any prior experience with the series, you should probably play on Normal and enable the tutorial.
As an aside, you might want to play the tutorial for the sake of it and then restart a new game with tutorial off.

I'd say the ideal order if you're inclined to replay the game is Normal > Ironman Classic > Impossible.

Your normal campaign will give you a hang of the game's economy, what works tactically and strategically, these kinds of things. I feel Ironman Classic strikes a good balance between challenge and unfair bullshit.

BibiMaghoo

Ok, everywhere I look says the Elite Soldier pack is included, but I can never change my soldier's armor (it says "not available" in the customize menu), and the extra hair isn't there either.

Does anyone know anything about this?

If I remember from the other versions I think your soldier need to be 'ranked' before you can do this, and not just basic rank, but to the point where they have a call sign, so maybe two or three ranks in.

If you don't have any prior experience with the series, you should probably play on Normal and enable the tutorial.
As an aside, you might want to play the tutorial for the sake of it and then restart a new game with tutorial off.

I'd say the ideal order if you're inclined to replay the game is Normal > Ironman Classic > Impossible.

Your normal campaign will give you a hang of the game's economy, what works tactically and strategically, these kinds of things. I feel Ironman Classic strikes a good balance between challenge and unfair bullshit.

Thanks, the first mission is the only tutorial?

How do I create my own squad from scratch, as in changing origin (country). Should I set up my base in US or EU (the other regions are red).

Do you have any other beginners tips?

Meneses

If I remember from the other versions I think your soldier need to be 'ranked' before you can do this, and not just basic rank, but to the point where they have a call sign, so maybe two or three ranks in.

I tried it, got call signs and even got a rank above that, but Armor Deco is still Not Available.

It's weird because in the original game I think I remember being able to immediately change the armor of my troops at their first promotion, I had specific sets for different classes.

AsfaeksBR

I can never use the smoke grenade. The framerate simply tanks, and I can not even throw it. I'm actually kinda scared that the game will freeze if I throw it

Why would it be? It's the other 2K Vita port we knew it was coming. People here were talking about how they were hoping this would be coming next.

New thread for new news; most of the discussion from the past few days has been about XCOM (it's actually been really nice sifting through and reading people's impressions).

Been out of the loop for a while. Any word on the other territories regarding this game's release?

Has 2K even acknowledged this version of the game yet?

Takao

Banned
[Agent]ZeroNine;199372022 said:
Been out of the loop for a while. Any word on the other territories regarding this game's release?

Has 2K even acknowledged this version of the game yet?

It's out in North America, Europe/Aus and Asia.

depward

Damn I hit a crazy difficulty spike.

Spoilers (like first three hours maybe):

I started encountering hard to medium difficulty missions. Was introduced to new enemies including a thin man kind and one that disappears then reappears and strangles. Now have wiped in the last two missions.

I don't feel like I was doing anything wrong; trying to be in cover, good percentage shots. I'm playing on easy even because I suck at strategy games.

What am I doing wrong?

Damn I hit a crazy difficulty spike.

Spoilers (like first three hours maybe):

I started encountering hard to medium difficulty missions. Was introduced to new enemies including a thin man kind and one that disappears then reappears and strangles. Now have wiped in the last two missions.

I don't feel like I was doing anything wrong; trying to be in cover, good percentage shots. I'm playing on easy even because I suck at strategy games.

What am I doing wrong?

You were probably being too aggressive in your movement, try not to activate too many pods at once, and use frag grenades to deal with thin men right away. Their acid spit is a pain in the ass when your troops have only 4 health or so and their carbines can one shot you. They also have crazy good aim compared to you in the early game. Do not try to save your frag grenades or rockets, toss them on the thin men with no prejudice.

DrFurbs

Hmm I think I regret this. It's a poorly optimzed port despite the great gameplay.

Really detracts from the experience IMHO.

/avoid

Top Bottom