• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown Plus (Vita) Out Now in Europe

I really can understand the business decision behind this. Releasing a press release would cost a company next to nothing, but would asure that eyes would be on it. Yet, they stealth release a game with a brand that's currently hot on a platform that could sell 500K just off of the brand and some coverage alone. I'll never understand how a inhouse PR/marketing team could be so inefficient.

SilentRob

[Agent]ZeroNine;198878594 said:
I really can understand the business decision behind this. Releasing a press release would cost a company next to nothing, but would asure that eyes would be on it. Yet, they stealth release a game with a brand that's currently hot on a platform that could sell 500K just off of the brand and some coverage alone. I'll never understand how a inhouse PR/marketing team could be so inefficient.

500K? On the Vita?

Now that is something I don't understand.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Please keep posting screens and impressions!

I would have already bought it if i had the psn credit, one of these days i'll recharge.

[Agent]ZeroNine;198878594 said:

ayy lmao

I don't think this game even sold 500k on consoles between 360 and PS3 combined.

IIRC, the public release of the NPD still gave out numbers when EU12 came out, and it charted at about 12k or so. And I don't think this was digitally available on consoles at launch either until Enemy Within came out. I'm pretty sure a majority of EU12's console players came when EU12 was put on PS+

XCOM 2's PC exclusivity isn't a matter of it simply having mods (Plenty of games with good mod support that had mod-less console releases), or a matter of them wanting to refine the KB&M interface (It's practically the exact same as EU12's). It's that EU12 simply did not sell on consoles.

Kill3r7

Color me interested but I want to know how it runs first. My guess is that it runs like shit as the console versions 360/PS3 were a mess when they launched.

Does it have multiplayer? I read the mobile versions got some sort of asynchronous play, and I never got to try it on my vanilla 360 version.

Meneses

Haven't really seen the bugs from that video, but I haven't played much yet.

btw:

Jake Solomon ‏@SolomonJake 1h1 hour ago

So XCOM:Enemy Unknown is finally out on Vita! I guess. I actually had no idea. Regardless, it seems like a great fit, so ENJOY!

The creator had no idea lol

Meneses

I'm confused. So is this just Enemy Unknown?
One post makes mention of meld references and stuff.

It seems to have Enemy Within content.

On my last play session I got a few Meld canisters and started developing the MEC lab.

On one of the videos above we can see the Exalt cutscene, so I assume most of it is there.

I have no idea why it's called Enemy Unknown, though.

I'm guessing this is a port of the iOS version which released a few years ago (and was later ported to Android), so hardware-wise it's a good fit for the Vita as it would have been targeting Cortex-A9 CPU cores and the two-generations old Power VR-Series 5 anyway. So lighting is quite pared back but it still looks alright.

500K? On the Vita?

Now that is something I don't understand.

I don't even think there are 500k active Vita owners in the west at this stage of the system's lifecycle, probably even less with enough space on their memory cards for this game (admittedly I haven't checked the game's size yet!)

khaaan

Well what do you know.

Impressions and videos look not horrible so far. I think I'm going to bite.

probably even less with enough space on their memory cards for this game (admittedly I haven't checked the game's size yet!)

2.2 Gigs, not huge but I'm guessing most people (including myself with my 64gig card) will have to do some cleanup to fit it.

LiK

I'm really curious about the performance,. it's gotta be running like shit or they made a lot of sacrifices.

anddo0

I'm really curious about the performance,. it's gotta be running like shit or they made a lot of sacrifices.

I've been playing it on Android for well over a year. If it plays anything close to that version, Vita owners are in for a treat.. Hell I may get it on Vita myself, it takes up a massive 3GB on my phone/tablet, also kills the battery from 100% in about 2 hours.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
I don't even think there are 500k active Vita owners in the west at this stage of the system's lifecycle, probably even less with enough space on their memory cards for this game (admittedly I haven't checked the game's size yet!)
Vita surpassed 10 millions units sold in the world long time ago and only less than half of those are in Japan.
XCOM won't sell 500k but saying that western vita gamers are less than 500k is just plain wrong.

Vita surpassed 10 millions units sold in the world long time ago and only less than half of those are in Japan.
XCOM won't sell 500k but saying that western vita gamers are less than 500k is just plain wrong.

He didn't say there were less than 500k western Vita games. He said there were less than 500k active western Vita gamers.

It's speculation of course, but you can understand why he'd say that.

Shizuka

I think I'll complement my wallet tonight and get this, as there's almost zero chance we'll get a physical copy anywhere in the world.

Bog

Junior Ace
I really want this but I'm knee deep in Fates and I'm so trained to wait for a sale on PSN stuff.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
He didn't say there were less than 500k western Vita games. He said there were less than 500k active western Vita gamers.

It's speculation of course, but you can understand why he'd say that.

I know he said active, but i disagree, less than 500k people buying games means there's no real market for any game, if true there wouldn't be all those localizations and indie games coming.

I know he said active, but i disagree, less than 500k people buying games means there's no real market for any game, if true there wouldn't be all those localizations and indie games coming.

Yeah, 500k was too low an estimate - probably around 1.5 million. 500k with enough space on their memory card :p

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Was thinking of buying this on PC, but I'd much rather have this on a portable system. Nice.

But why.gif

PC version you can run on a laptop or some future tablet (if not now tablet) and have crystal clear image quality that isn't a blur.

I mean the price for this is kinda admirable for a years late port, but...

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Yeah, 500k was too low an estimate - probably around 1.5 million. 500k with enough space on their memory card :p

1.5 millions is still too low, vita has a very high attach rate but that doesn't mean that every one buy a copy of a game, you should always consider that only 1 person over 10/20/30/100/whatever (depending on the game's name, appeal and many other things) buy a copy of a game, include porting/localizations efforts/time/costs, various rating and certifications(that you pay, are expensive and different in many countries of Europe) and so on, is a market of just 1.5 millions of people worth all of this? Imo not.

Many Vita owners use to underestimate themselves and vita imo.

But why.gif

PC version you can run on a laptop or some future tablet (if not now tablet) and have crystal clear image quality that isn't a blur.

I mean the price for this is kinda admirable for a years late port, but...

I don't like playing games on my laptop and visuals/framerate don't really mean much to me in a tactical RPG. I'd much rather show my Vita some love with the portability (and just the fact that I love playing stuff on the vita).

But I don't wanna turn this into a Trails TC thread so I'll drop the point there

Apharmd

I don't like playing games on my laptop and visuals/framerate don't really mean much to me in a tactical RPG. I'd much rather show my Vita some love with the portability (and just the fact that I love playing stuff on the vita).

But I don't wanna turn this into a Trails TC thread so I'll drop the point there

I'm with this guy here. Wonderful hardware, just very few games. I started XCom on PC and had a great time, but I just spend more hours on my vita during the commute. If I cared a lot about visuals, I wouldn't have dumped 100 hours to the DOS version ten years back.

EDIT - Incidentally, thank you to the Vita dudes for the help a couple pages back.

Any comparisons to the mobile versions so far? I might pick this up if it's content-complete like the PC version and not slightly stripped down like the mobile version.

Wondering since particularly those screenshots look about in the level of the mobile versions.

ultra7k

man, between XCOM, Day of the Tentacle, and CIV Rev 2 (if released next week), I fear for my wallet, and the lack of storage on my mem card. Good problem to have though!

Bittercup

Any impressions how loading is within a mission? Like when you screw up and load a save from a bit earlier of the same mission.

Top Bottom