• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X: big website update (chara. creation, field, new music)

chadboban

Screencaps from the translation video.

vlcsnap-2015-02-13-15b6qyr.png

vlcsnap-2015-02-13-15uspdh.png

vlcsnap-2015-02-13-15wapaj.png

vlcsnap-2015-02-13-151apng.png

Third-Drifter

Neo Member
1st post ever on GAF.

Currently this is my most anticipated game for 2015. I put over 190 hours into the original and seeing how X is receiving more attention is great. The artistry of the environment is jaw dropping and far makes up for the technical limitations.

The translations are very welcome. Although I also wonder if the MC will be silent or not, I trust that Monolith knows what they are doing. I hate to bring it up again, but if the faces are the only thing that will keep some from picking this up they have shoddy priorities.

chadboban

1st post ever on GAF.

Currently this is my most anticipated game for 2015. I put over 190 hours into the original and seeing how X is receiving more attention is great. The artistry of the environment is jaw dropping and far makes up for the technical limitations.

The translations are very welcome. Although I also wonder if the MC will be silent or not, I trust that Monolith knows what they are doing. I hate to bring it up again, but if the faces are the only thing that will keep some from picking this up they have shoddy priorities.

Welcome to GAF!

It's my most anticipated as well :)

bomblord1

Banned
1st post ever on GAF.

Welcome to gaf and this is the first game in at least 4 or 5 years that has me legitimately hyped so I agree it's my current most anticipated game.

rhandino

Banned
1st post ever on GAF.

Yas, welcome to GAF!

And yes, apparently the protagonist will be silent and the voice selection will be mostly for battle grunts BUT I would like conversation options.

Gambit

Lol that boob slider is great, I was expecting weight and then only the boobs changed. Hope they patch in a bulge slider too. I want my guy to be packing.

That's the thing. No need for that slider, it would always be max for everyone.

So, I'm guessing rebuilding NLA will be a big part of the game, going off of Lyn's comments in the video?

Seemed fairly obvious to me seeing the huge digital percentage sign along with the fact that NLA is only partially complete and that a big part of your quest is recovering pods with survivors in them

Third-Drifter

Neo Member
Thanks for the welcomes!

TBH, I don't think I mind that there is a character creator. With the depth it's hinting at, it seems I'm going to be experimenting in there for at least half an hour. I teased my girlfriend that I was going to create her so that she could go around packing military rifles and ride in a robot, hehe.

She was not amused...

moolamb

Thanks for the welcomes!

TBH, I don't think I mind that there is a character creator. With the depth it's hinting at, it seems I'm going to be experimenting in there for at least half an hour. I teased my girlfriend that I was going to create her so that she could go around packing military rifles and ride in a robot, hehe.

She was not amused...

Welcome to the Xenohype!

My opinion is that the character creator is actually reasonably limited. Though some of us believe that the dozen or so face options are presets you can tweak, I think they're more like a base for minor changes. You can change the hair style and some eye texture/make-up options, but there doesn't seem to be any way of adjusting eye size, position, nose, etc.

So the face geometry you choose in the first option can't be adjusted. And it also looks like everyone is more or less model figure. No fatties.

Valus

Man those character designs. Why does it look worse than Xenoblade? The environments look so great...what the heck were they doing with the character models?

Man those character designs. Why does it look worse than Xenoblade? The environments look so great...what the heck were they doing with the character models?

They look way better, but some have flat smooth female faces, and combined with Tanaka's style it looks a little weird. Have you checked out Elma? Her armour is pretty hot, and well designed. Her pointy toe armour boot heels are kind of weird, but they're kind of cool by the same token. Lol, she's pretty amazing, and the only thing I can hold against her is her skin is flawlessly smooth.

Blunoise

1st post ever on GAF.

Welcome Welcome! You will be a full member in no time just like me from a few months. But yes this is a GOTY game for me this year!

corn_fest

Anyone else feel like the UI is way too tiny?
Look at this:
There's no way I'd be able to comfortably discern those icons or half of that text from my couch, and that's like 4 feet from a 42" TV.
The scale seems like something I'd expect in a PC game.

Litri

1st post ever on GAF.

Welcom! I'm as excited as you with this game and can't wait for an official release date for us EU mortals.

Valus

They look way better, but some have flat smooth female faces, and combined with Tanaka's style it looks a little weird. Have you checked out Elma? Her armour is pretty hot, and well designed. Her pointy toe armour boot heels are kind of weird, but they're kind of cool by the same token. Lol, she's pretty amazing, and the only thing I can hold against her is her skin is flawlessly smooth.

I'm not just talking about our character, just the overall feel about them. I mean, look at this.

The characters look like they are from a damn PS2 game.

I'm trying not to judge based on what I've seen. I'm really hoping they look better in the game. If not, it's a major disappointment to me because we'll be spending a lot of time looking at these characters.

anaron

Even if it did look like a ps2 game (and it doesn't) who cares? So many of those games have aged wonderfully, are they suddenly hideous now just because we're in a new generation? Ugh

Valus

Should probably use a proper PS2 image instead of an "HD" emulationm the image below is probably a much better representation =/
final-fantasy-xii-20040614103828375.jpg

Or:
final-fantasy-xii-20061027032956112-000.jpg

I literally just googled "rabanastre ffxii" to find that image. Didn't realize it was an emulated version. But still, you can't tell me that those models are all the Wii U is capable of.

Even if it did look like a ps2 game (and it doesn't) who cares? So many of those games have aged wonderfully, are they suddenly unplayable now?

The problem (for me) is that I've seen what the Wii U is capable and it's frustrating to see them come out with those models which people are just going to shit all over and disregard the game because of. There's already articles on the web saying how bad they look and the game isn't even out yet. People always talk shit about the Wii U because it can't do "nextgen" graphics and it is answered with that? It's disappointing.

So, I'm guessing rebuilding NLA will be a big part of the game, going off of Lyn's comments in the video?

NLA is the new Colony 6!

It literally is Colony 6+. You're finding Life Pods to 'rescue' people in stasis that will grow your population and the data probes can gather resources to, presumably, help expand the city. You can see in some shots that roads and things just stop and/or have cranes working on them.

If my extremely limited Japanese vocabulary means anything, Kizunagram is the list of NPC bonds.

Yep, that's it.

So "Social" could be the online stuff then?

That would be my guess, yes.

Even if it did look like a ps2 game (and it doesn't) who cares? So many of those games have aged wonderfully, are they suddenly hideous now just because we're in a new generation? Ugh

Currently playing FFXII on an emulator with downgraded quality over the PS2 original (I don't even think my laptop can do much better), and yes, it aged wonderfully.

With the art direction this game (XCX) has, I wouldn't even complain if the rest looked like a PS2 game too.

The problem (for me) is that I've seen what the Wii U is capable and it's frustrating to see them come out with those models which people are just going to shit all over and disregard the game because of. There's already articles on the web saying how bad they look and the game isn't even out yet. People always talk shit about the Wii U because it can't do "nextgen" graphics and it is answered with that? It's disappointing.

Who cares? If you haven't noticed, quite a few sites out there only give a shit if your game is ps4/xbox/high end pc and if it's not then they'll gut it for not being on any of those. Most of those articles are done by sites that hate the WiiU in general, and outside of Smash of Zelda, aren't about to praise the visuals in a game that is clearly pushing the hardware, just because it's a jrpg that isn't called Final Fantasy.

Best advice, stop creating your opinion of a game based on which sites shit on it. Look at and play the game yourself to find out whether it's worth mentioning, don't base everything off reviewers who wouldn't care anyway because it's not on the highest end system.

I literally just googled "rabanastre ffxii" to find that image. Didn't realize it was an emulated version. But still, you can't tell me that those models are all the Wii U is capable of.

Uhm, these designs aren't designed to be 'next-gen' models where you can see every pore of the face like some Naughty Dog title. This game sticks to an artstyle and isn't trying to push the limits, it simply does what it does...

The 3D models are 3D representations of the designer's Kunihiko Tanaka vision. Lots of people don't like the look in 3D, but the point is that these models don't look like that due to the Wii U not being able to present a 'next-gen' face, it's because of an artistic choice.

Anyway, woah an autorun button!

Valus

Who cares? If you haven't noticed, quite a few sites out there only give a shit if your game is ps4/xbox/high end pc and if it's not then they'll gut it for not being on any of those. Most of those articles are done by sites that hate the WiiU in general, and outside of Smash of Zelda, aren't about to praise the visuals in a game that is clearly pushing the hardware, just because it's a jrpg that isn't called Final Fantasy.

Best advice, stop creating your opinion of a game based on which sites shit on it. Look at and play the game yourself to find out whether it's worth mentioning, don't base everything off reviewers who wouldn't care anyway because it's not on the highest end system.

Uhm, these designs aren't designed to be 'next-gen' models where you can see every pore of the face like some Naughty Dog title. This game sticks to an artstyle and isn't trying to push the limits, it simply does what it does...

The 3D models are 3D representations of the designer's Kunihiko Tanaka vision. Lots of people don't like the look in 3D, but the point is that these models don't look like that due to the Wii U not being able to present a 'next-gen' face, it's because of an artistic choice.

I care. I want this game to succeed. I'm not basing my opinion on what an article tells me. I'm looking at the footage myself and seeing crappy character models. I don't have an expert eye for any of this stuff, which should be obvious by how I couldn't tell that FFXII pic I posted was a HD emulation and not the real thing. I'm just calling it how I see it. It's frustrating when I tell my friends about how awesome this game is going to be and show them a trailer just to have them laugh at how dumb the red headed guy looks. Even when I'm like "oh but you can customize that one however you want" they're still like "if so then why are they promoting the game with such an ugly fool?"

I'll play it when it's out. And I really hope that the models don't clash with the artstyle of the game as much as I've seen so far. And no, I don't want the character models to look like a PS4 game. I want them to look like a fucking Wii U game.

Reminds me of Zelda U, just sit back relax and enjoy the environment while the CPU is automatically gets you to your quest destination.
Looks like they really optimized the quest process.
THIS game just seems to get better and better.

I care. I want this game to succeed. I'm not basing my opinion on what an article tells me. I'm looking at the footage myself and seeing crappy character models. I don't have an expert eye for any of this stuff, which should be obvious by how I couldn't tell that FFXII pic I posted was a HD emulation and not the real thing. I'm just calling it how I see it. It's frustrating when I tell my friends about how awesome this game is going to be and show them a trailer just to have them laugh at how dumb the red headed guy looks. Even when I'm like "oh but you can customize that one however you want" they're still like "if so then why are they promoting the game with such an ugly fool?"

I'll play it when it's out. And I really hope that the models don't clash with the artstyle of the game as much as I've seen so far. And no, I don't want the character models to look like a PS4 game. I want them to look like a fucking Wii U game.

Just don't fixate so much on those faces!! Look at the environments, all that great design. Usually when you're playing you're looking at the backs of the characters running around. There are a bunch of customization options for the outfits that really make a visual impact, the faces are such a minor thing. I just don't think they look that bad... ):

Reminds me of Zelda U, just sit back relax and enjoy the environment while the CPU is automatically gets you to your quest destination.
Looks like they really optimized the quest process.
THIS game just seems to get better and better.

I also hope they make it a bit easier to scout for random drops (like the orbs in the first game), because I'd spend waaay to long searching for specific items. Like let me scan if an item is definitely in my vicinity, rather than hopping between the spots where it might have spawned (but probably hasn't).

anaron

Your friends sound dumb

And considering wii u is technically last generation, the character models look entirely appropriate

ivysaur12

Banned
I'm not just talking about our character, just the overall feel about them. I mean, look at this.

I'm trying not to judge based on what I've seen. I'm really hoping they look better in the game. If not, it's a major disappointment to me because we'll be spending a lot of time looking at these characters.

Well, no, the character models don't look like they're pulled from a PS2 game and that's hyperbole at its worst, and given the scope of the game/world, this is not a hyper realistic game where these NPCs will ever be seen close up.

What are we talking about? The NPCs? Elma? The art style? Whether or not you like the art style, given the world and the WiiU's technical limitations, sure, that's about par for the course for character models. The art style? Not necessarily the best (#faces, etc), but yeah, I wouldn't really expect MonolithSoft to prioritize NPC character models if such a choice had to be made.

And the playable characters all look appropriate (as in, not the art, but of character models/textures/everything else) in terms of what I'd expect from a 360/PS3-level JRPG. Now, if you have an art style issue, that's different. But you seem to be implying that these main characters look the way they do because of the WiiU's technical limitations, not really. It's just a not great interoperation of the art style.

character creation looks like PSO2, in a good way. Still makes me even more nervous that this game will be even worse with the shitty mmo questing and item collection

moolamb

I'm not sure what you're looking at, but I'm pretty sure this is quite perfectly suited for what the Wii U is capable of... It's certainly not a PS4 game. Maybe you should look elsewhere for graphical fidelity?

alvis.exe

All my friends are too excited about the brilliant environment/monster design and MECHS to care about the faces.

I have awesome friends :)

Either that or I always hype the environment design and if there is any mention of faces I just tell them it was a design choice, show them one of Tanaka's Xenogears designs, and say that you'll be spending ten times more time exploring the landscape anyways so who cares YOU GET TO FLY AROUND IN A MECH.

Seems to work pretty well.

But then again I have awesome friends :)

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

You must be blind.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The game is out in 2 months in Japan. It's probably almost finished. Stop being concerned about how well it will sell because the character models as they won't be changed. And that's it. Play it or leave it.

Edit: and instead of using a screenshot from a video stream, how about showing some PS2 models like this:

img_chara_mira03.jpg

img_chara_mira05.jpg

rjinaz

Gessenkou translated all of the quest info from the quest video on the website. It really gives you a good idea what questing will be like:

Here

rjinaz

I swear this dude is my hero. Always on top of stuff when it comes to translating all the info about this game.

For sure. What's interesting is that there seems to be quests available for every area. Maybe this was done later in the game? It seems early though.

Top Bottom