• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X: big website update (chara. creation, field, new music)

Jobbs

Banned
Does the website confirm if gorgeous piece is Tanaka's?
fWLU58j.jpg

It totally looks like his stuff and it's exactly what I've been waiting to see

anyone have a higher res of this?

Kjellson

Since I'm so hyped about this game's world I have made an official ranking of its areas.

Land of White Wood > Noctilucent Forest > Primordial Wilderness > Valley of Forgetfulness > Land of Black Steel

I love them all, but since I'm usually not a fan of volcano-y areas LoBS is last. LoWW looks absolutely amazing though!

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Does the website confirm if gorgeous piece is Tanaka's?
fWLU58j.jpg

It totally looks like his stuff and it's exactly what I've been waiting to see

I cant stop going back to this art, I already have it as my phone's background.

moolamb

Romance options:

Male Cross x Elma
Male Cross x Lyn
Female Cross x Luu (Space Goat)
Female Cross x Space Dunban
Female Cross x Guin
Riki x Tatsu

This game is absolutely beautiful. I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like playing it at 4K in 5-10 years on Dolphin U.

richd_3

img_field02_bou_02.jpg

Probably been asked (haven't checked the whole thread), but is this a crashed city-ship or part of the planet's existing environment?

Holy sweet fuck, those environments. I laugh at all the 720p faces bullshit, this is one of the best looking games I've ever seen. I absolutely cannot wait to fly around these worlds in a god-damned mech.

img_field02_shiro_01.jpg

img_field02_bou_03.jpg

img_field02_yako_03.jpg

img_field02_bou_01.jpg

img_field02_gen_03.jpg

Look at that. I used to dream about games like this.

Hell yes man, I totally agree. When the art-style is done so good like this, it makes realistic minded/looking games look so bland and brown in comparison.

This is what a video game should look like.

There are more continents i can't imagine that they have been working for 5 years on the game for only 5 continents. There are also some areas missing from the trailer from 2014, I am almost certain they are hiding the rest of the continents.

Each continent is as big as the whole world in Xenoblade and even the continents have an overall theme I think they will have varied landscapes.

Oops, revised non-discriminatory list:

Cross x Elma
Cross x Lyn
Cross x Luu (Space Goat)
Cross x Space Dunban
Cross x Guin
Riki x Tatsu

Lynn is friggin 13!

Also I appreciate Monolith making the small cute character be of an age where it would make sense for he/she to act like that. Even 16 years doing that little girl routine can get weird. The fact that she's a mechanical genius and regularly jokes about cooking her party me member makes her awesome (and not Momo).

img_field02_bou_02.jpg

Probably been asked (haven't checked the whole thread), but is this a crashed city-ship or part of the planet's existing environment?

If you mean another City Ship like the White Whale I doubt it. That mechanical structure looks to have been there a while.

There are several other mechanical structures shown. They could all be remnants of space ships that long ago crash into the area. I'm going bet on past civilization personally.

moolamb

Lynn is friggin 13!

Also I appreciate Monolith making the small cute character be of an age where it would make sense for he/she to act like that. Even 16 years doing that little girl routine can get weird. The fact that she's a mechanical genius and regularly jokes about cooking her party me member makes her awesome (and not Momo).

Hmmm on second thoughts, it's Lyn x Tatsu. Best of friends. Let's cross her off the Cross romance list.

This game is absolutely beautiful. I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like playing it at 4K in 5-10 years on Dolphin U.

In 10 years or later. The Wii U architecture is far more complex than the Wiis and much more difficult to emulate. I doubt that anyone will invest enough time to code such an emulator at all.

Kjellson

I hope one of those Jar-Jar Binks-looking guys becomes a party member. I liked how in Xenoblade there was at least one member of almost all the races. We know at least that we'll get one of the blue Qunaris as one.

ozfunghi

Not sure why it's stupid of Monolithsoft to deliberately create a game about the last remnants of the U.S. (Although I wouldn't be surprised if colonies from other countries show up in X). It'd be very strange if say, China, chose "New Los Angeles" as a name for one of the few space colonies it's sending to preserve their culture and humanity. Of course you couldn't be 100% certain, but that would be strange.

That said, if you're confident that they did a good job with Xenoblade's British English voices, then there's no reason why they can't do just as well with American English voices.
Well, by not being tied specifically to one country, they could have sidestepped a few issues, like the ones we both have raised (accents, city name, even language). If it was just a delegation of the last survivors of Earth, rather than of the US, they still could have gone with Neo LA, there would be no issue with characters speaking Japanese or English with whatever accent. Also, it now seems tailored for a US audience, which wasn't necessary for me (being European). I think it would have made more sense had the spaceships been from "Earth" rather than from "the US". But you raise an interesting point: will other countries have escaped earth, or not.

img_field02_bou_02.jpg

There are several other mechanical structures shown. They could all be remnants of space ships that long ago crash into the area. I'm going bet on past civilization personally.
Maybe both. The structure does look very similar to that of the "city pod".

foxuzamaki

But they are the cops! :p

Edit: dammit fox!

hue hue heu

Well, by not being tied specifically to one country, they could have sidestepped a few issues, like the ones we both have raised (accents, city name, even language). If it was just a delegation of the last survivors of Earth, rather than of the US, they still could have gone with Neo LA, there would be no issue with characters speaking Japanese or English with whatever accent. Also, it now seems tailored for a US audience, which wasn't necessary for me (being European). I think it would have made more sense had the spaceships been from "Earth" rather than from "the US". But you raise an interesting point: will other countries have escaped earth, or not.

This is obviously for story reasons, I knew a earlier comment also brought up that they speak japanese even though this is suppose to be a american colony, but its not like japan is crawling with perfect english speaking people, its just the way it HAS to be voiced, its why dubbed anime is in the language of the localization.

There's actually another colony ship (several are shown attempting escape) from Tokyo that escaped as well according to the devs. I think they said it wouldn't show up in this game.

Got to leave room for sequels.

Remember the White Whale (the US ship) had been in space 2 years before crash landing and it's two months after that when the game starts. Who knows where the other ships that survives went to.

img_field02_bou_02.jpg

This has probably been discussed already in the past, but just in case... I just remembered that Monolith Soft concept art from a while ago when looking at this. Somewhat similar. I don't know what become of that art anyway.

609developpeurs20101222_045059_0_big.jpg

TriBlade

Maybe both. The structure does look very similar to that of the "city pod".

I think someone mention in an interview that the Japanese Ship has escaped also but it won't be part of the story?

random25

I think it was mentioned before that other countries have their own escape ships as well. This game just focused on White Whale. Who knows, maybe at some point we'll see a New Tokyo or New Vatican or anything similar.

This has probably been discussed already in the past, but just in case... I just remembered that Monolith Soft concept art from a while ago when looking at this. Somewhat similar. I don't know what become of that art anyway.

609developpeurs20101222_045059_0_big.jpg

Was brought up a few pages back.

Cant believe the game this concept art teased, is finally getting released [in Japan].

Now... will Nintendo pull a Square and release it in a year, or will Nintendo pull a NoA and not bother at all.

Converse

Banned
Hell yes man, I totally agree. When the art-style is done so good like this, it makes realistic minded/looking games look so bland and brown in comparison.

This is what a video game should look like.

It reminds me a whole lot of some of the painted science fiction book covers from the old days...

80412b99a5cc9936e0520d85a0664f18.jpg

72c9416a3742ca498fbc6f944c68e758.jpg

775de71a83f44108a4d80ffc005b8da3.jpg

30846b1d4195c67c73639a7f4ee296eb.jpg

...and this is a good thing.

I think someone mention in an interview that the Japanese Ship has escaped also but it won't be part of the story?

Yes, they confirmed inthe Famitsu interview that, canonically, there were other ships built in major cities around the globe, including Japan, and that they attempted to escape. How many, if any, of the ships besides the White Whale got away is up in the air, although I imagine it will become a plot point later in the game.

Or become the basis of a sequel/spin-off in the future. ;)

foxuzamaki

I do wonder if they plan to make another xenoblade, or if they're going to move on to something else, maybe another fun lil project like disaster day of crisis.

Mory Dunz

I do wonder if they plan to make another xenoblade, or if they're going to move on to something else, maybe another fun lil project like disaster day of crisis.

I could see it becoming a series with another entry.

Not sure whether it'd be on a console or the 4ds though

foxuzamaki

I could see it becoming a series with another entry.

Not sure whether it'd be on a console or the 4ds though

I think the main team at monolithsof will stay on nintendo's consoles, the only real reason most JRPG devs make majority of their games on handheld is because of the lack of money and the lack of sales there, MS with the protection and money of nintendo can make their ambitious games without worrying about limitations from handhelds.

Top Bottom