• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X website update: day/night/weather system, new chara. and more

chadboban

I want stuff like this when I'm exploring. Moments when you're all like "What the fuck was that behind that fog?" Then proceeding to chase after it.

lvxrsf.gif

Also, you can see the four armed monkey beast that they fought in the gameplay from February last year chilling on a rock. He's even eating a fruit you can see red juice gushing from it.

ccowti.gif

Falcs

Banned
Dammit, I gotta stop looking a these threads. This game looks so cool, except for those damn faces...
They're the only reason I won't buy this game.
I just can't...

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Dammit, I gotta stop looking a these threads. This game looks so cool, except for those damn faces...
I just can't...

That shouldn't be the damn reason... you are just trying to find an excuse.

and that's sad.

Falcs

Banned
That shouldn't be the damn reason... you are just trying to find an excuse.

and that's sad.

No, it is the only reason. I don't need an excuse, I want to play it. But there's no way I'm going to be able to take the game seriously with those ugly, big eye cartoon ass lookin faces.

Akai

No, it is the only reason. I don't need an excuse, I want to play it. But there's no way I'm going to be able to take the game seriously with those ugly, big eye cartoon ass lookin faces.

If you're this anal about something so petty I'm shocked you play anything at all...

Someone ust pointed this out to me. Look up in the sky at the very beginning of the video. I'm talking about the very first second of the video. You can see something flying in the air, so high up it's barely even visible. Wonder what it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FatqK70ONd8

Pretty sure that's just a non-interactive animated bird that's meant to give the environment a little more life (if that's what I'm supposed to be seeing there at the top)...

I don't want to derail the conversation but as much as I'm curious to see how FFXV turns out I don't understand how anyone can be interested in its open environments after seeing Xenoblade X's...

They are truly breathtaking.

wmlk

I don't want to derail the conversation but as much as I'm curious to see how FFXV turns out I don't understand how anyone can be interested in its open environments after seeing Xenoblade X's...

We've only seen one area from FFXV.

Regardless, seeing the moon (?) at the distance is not the same as seeing Mechonis towering over you.

Falcs

Banned
so I'm assuming you haven't touched 90 percent of japanese gaming then?

I can play Japanese games just fine...
This game in particular just happens to have hideously ugly faces. My problem with that is that the rest of the game looks beautiful. If it was ALL ugly, I could maybe accept it as an art style.

It's definitely rough to go from Xenoblade scale to normal game scale.

Sucked some of the enjoyment out of Skyward Sword for me, I think. Oh well! Still worth it!

+1 for "Gunban", by the way. :lol

Given that I'm pretty sure you can see Dolls flying and fighting in space during the opening, I'd be surprised if we didn't end up at least flying into space ourselves, if not to the moon.

I just can't...

Well most of the time in game you will stare at the environment, monsters, mechs and characters'... butts.

But excuse is excuse I guess...

Someone ust pointed this out to me. Look up in the sky at the very beginning of the video. I'm talking about the very first second of the video. You can see something flying in the air, so high up it's barely even visible. Wonder what it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FatqK70ONd8

That smudge flies past at breakneck speed in the direction of the arrow, it's easy to miss. Might still be nothing tho. Maybe birds have become capable of flying at supersonic speeds?

Also that monster behind the character...

Azure J

I was doing so good about not viewing media for this game until today. I was going to make it my "accidentally went in blind" game of 2015.

That said, holy fuck at some of these environments/the scale/GUNBAN.

Is it just me, or does the moon possibly have visible continents?

tumblr_nkez0sMtWF1rxek5yo1_1280.png

Their shape and layout looks a bit similar in structure to Mira's world map.

Xenoblade-Chronicles-X-World-1.png

Blunoise

The same reason why I can't understand that I played final fantasy 7 with PPl made out of blocks because God knows I only play a game to experience a characters face.

I don't mind the faces at all with this game except this one. I'm sorry to the person who designed it but I think she looks terrible. I much prefer to stare at the gorgeous enviornments instead.

Obligatory:

CPVfAbj.jpg

Aaaaaahahaha. Perfect.

Meet her long-lost sister.

tumblr_mban8n7brU1rhkavko1_500.jpg

I feel weird as someone who really like this art style. I like unique and slightly cartoony art styles for RPG's like when the Eureka artist did Arc Rise Fantasia. It's a reason why I find mainline Final Fantasy's character so bland.

But I think not playing a game for faces is dumb considering how much of the game is staring at the back of heads and fighting monsters. I hate that art style of Tales but I had no issue playing through the Tales of Symphonia games. I don't care much for FFXV at all but I'll go through that too.

R.D.Blax

That smudge flies past at breakneck speed in the direction of the arrow, it's easy to miss. Might still be nothing tho. Maybe birds have become capable of flying at supersonic speeds?

Also that monster behind the character...

Maybe a secret boss you need to reach before he flee at super sonic speed ?

rjinaz

I can play Japanese games just fine...
This game in particular just happens to have hideously ugly faces. My problem with that is that the rest of the game looks beautiful. If it was ALL ugly, I could maybe accept it as an art style.

hehe if the faces are ugly but the world is beautiful, won't play it. But if the faces are ugly and the world is ugly, might play it.

Anyway, I'm not sure if you played the first game or not but you really don't spend all that much time looking at character faces. It's mostly about exploring, battling monsters, doing quests. You see a lot of backs. But you know what, if it's a deal breaker for you, then it is what it is. Can't argue with somebody's own preference.

Gravidee

I initially skipped Xenoblade 1 precisely because of the faces, but after giving it a chance the story, characters and gameplay won me over. Those on the fence with this game because of the faces have it easy. Some of them may not be the best but they're still a lot better than the poorly textured fish faces we got in the first game.

GDGF

Soothsayer

It does look sort of unnecessarily embossed in places. Like a LOD managed landscape from a distance...

Hope you can go there!

Third-Drifter

Neo Member
I just can't...

Beyond petty, beyond pathetic...you're going to deny yourself playing a game of interest because faces of characters where you primarily look behind them when the other things such as:

Open world size
Environment artsyle
Length of game
Mode of transportation
Enemy variety
Battle system

and potentially Plot and Online

all look to nail it with perfection. To not get for the perceived flaw of the faces displays lack of judgement as to why any game should be played in the first place. The fact that the faces are so far the only thing that people have found to complain about Xenoblade X should speak volumes that players should be supporting it.

Even gaming masterpieces can have one or two flaws or quirks, but most recognize that they don't matter much at all in the larger scheme of things. Besides, as it's been pointed out before, the look of the faces are intentional.

About the new info, I'm just wondering what reasoning Takahashi has to make the time manipulation seem more limited than in the original. Hopefully the collectibles that are affected by weather aren't so bad this time. I seem to recall an Eryth Sea collectible that only appeared at a specific island, only during a thunderstorm (and maybe only at night, not sure), and even then, be present only like 5% of the time. Hopefully players can trade online like we traded with NPCs in the first game.

moolamb

That ring's probably a stargate to get you there... Or there's some kind of transporter in land of white ash/lava world.

Top Bottom