• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X: big website update (chara. creation, field, new music)

random25

I do wonder if they plan to make another xenoblade, or if they're going to move on to something else, maybe another fun lil project like disaster day of crisis.

Xenoblade Z, perhaps. :p

Well, it will depend largely on how the game will be received. If this game gets critical acclaim and/or sales success, maybe we'll see a new Xenoblade game after this one in the near future.

Nemecyst

x_by_onilink888-d7i6czs.gif

This looks to be taking place in the Land of Black Steel. Are those drills? Who do they belong to? And judging by the size of New LA in relation to both the White Whale and the Primordial Wilderness, the White Whale seems to be as long as that continent. That's a really enormous ship. I wonder if the rest of the ship's parts landed in areas that haven't been revealed. Pieces of something that big, would show up on the map just like New LA does.

Zolbrod

Holy sweet fuck, those environments. I laugh at all the 720p faces bullshit, this is one of the best looking games I've ever seen. I absolutely cannot wait to fly around these worlds in a god-damned mech.

Amen to that.

Good environment design is so much more important than 720p vs 1080p.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I'm sure I'm LTTP but with that many voice options, I assume that means the player character is silent? Just grunts and noises and not an actual personality? That's a little disappointing to me personally, these games are so big I find interesting characters more fun to spend time with a la dragon Age or even Xenoblade

I do wonder if they plan to make another xenoblade, or if they're going to move on to something else, maybe another fun lil project like disaster day of crisis.

I'm sure this is a bonafide series for Nintendo considering how much of an unexpected success it was in the Japan and in the west, its critical acclaim and its representation in Smash Bros.

What I would like to see is Takahashi take another crack at his six part epic he's been trying to tell since Xenogears.

Mory Dunz

I'm sure I'm LTTP but with that many voice options, I assume that means the player character is silent? Just grunts and noises and not an actual personality? That's a little disappointing to me personally, these games are so big I find interesting characters more fun to spend time with a la dragon Age or even Xenoblade

Yeah, grunts and talking during battle I think.

I prefer set main characters with personality as well. Creation is cool, but guys like Shulk are nice for RPGs, and it gives the game more personality.

For example, imagine the last few cutscnes and battles of Xenoblade with a silent protagonist instead of Shulk. Obviously, things would have to be different, but having a (very well voiced imo) character will everything that builds up to the climax makes it more satisfying.

Voicing is only annoying when the main character is insuffrable. Stocke from Radiant Historia should be the template for all JRPG protags

It's definitely a possibility, but we'll see. Someone speculated earlier that Elma might actually sort of lead the narration.

Hm, I doubt they get Jenna Coleman back for this :/

She's busy playing Clara Oswald on Doctor Who...
Eh thanks. Was about to google her after someone mentioning the name and her being famous. Should've remembered lol.
It's pretty interesting that she was in Xenoblade though, because if she did her part in like 2010 or early 2011, she was already fairly famous in UK from television I think.

Gambit

It reminds me a whole lot of some of the painted science fiction book covers from the old days...

...and this is a good thing.

Me too. And for some reason it reminds me of Captain Future, specifically the planet with the poisonous atmosphere. I half wish we'd get that kind of theme.

PS: I hope that video can even be viewed in all regions.

Also, I hope there are no romance options. It would be much better if there are canonical couples or something, but please no romance options leading to stupid waifu wars. Having said that (Xenoblade spoilers)
Melia + Shulk 4 eva

Litri

This looks to be taking place in the Land of Black Steel. Are those drills? Who do they belong to? And judging by the size of New LA in relation to both the White Whale and the Primordial Wilderness, the White Whale seems to be as long as that continent. That's a really enormous ship. I wonder if the rest of the ship's parts landed in areas that haven't been revealed. Pieces of something that big, would show up on the map just like New LA does.

It looks like a giant mechanic crab...¿? Regardless, that seems will be one of the most epics battles in the game. Very likely...

FryHole

Eh thanks. Was about to google her after someone mentioning the name and her being famous. Should've remembered lol.
It's pretty interesting that she was in Xenoblade though, because if she did her part in like 2010 or early 2011, she was already fairly famous in UK from television I think.

Yeah, "fairly famous in the UK" is a good description of a number of the cast, it was a pretty decent assembly of talent.

Just wanted to point out on the Elma/narrator angle that this video of NLA appears to be a cut-scene introducing the player to the 4 areas of the city narrated entirely by her and Lyn.

Also, although I think before we knew of an exit to the main world from the Industrial Area, the video also confirms an exit also exists in the BLADE Area, too.

god the faces get uglier every update. but the rest of the game seems so fantastic. I really wanna just hear more about the story though.

I'm sure this is a bonafide series for Nintendo considering how much of an unexpected success it was in the Japan and in the west, its critical acclaim and its representation in Smash Bros.

What I would like to see is Takahashi take another crack at his six part epic he's been trying to tell since Xenogears.

The main team under Takahashi is almost certainly going to work on the next epic RPG which will be Xenoblade Chronicles.

I don't want Takahashi to attempt the 6-part thing because he's already tried twice a failed. Even worse was Xenogears and the first two Xenosaga games clearly had cut content and we're rushed.

If he wants to just make a game exploring key parts of several episodes. Considering this game and its similarities to Xenogears Episode 1 just have sequels that explore that. Make sure though they are self-contained and don't leave big questions.

With the other ships that escaped Earth they are leaving the door open for more stories in the universe.

I think the main team at monolithsof will stay on nintendo's consoles, the only real reason most JRPG devs make majority of their games on handheld is because of the lack of money and the lack of sales there, MS with the protection and money of nintendo can make their ambitious games without worrying about limitations from handhelds.

Yeah if Nintendo doesn't have a hybrid console the main team will stay on consoles. The Xenoblade games bring in buyers in both Japan and the West who are slightly outside Nintendo's core fans. The handheld could receive a port of Xenoblade X. More likely I could see a spinoff game involving another evacuation ship with a smaller scale made. Monolith has three teams and while one is a support studio the other does SRPG games. Would be interesting to see a Xenoblade spinoff with that gameplay.

moolamb

So Sawano just mass produced 90 songs from 2012 to 2013?

No wonder.

Songs or what you'd usually call music cues. It's not strange. A typical hour-and-a-half feature film should have in the realm of 30 cues. By a single composer.

One thing I'm curious about is whether or not people think that having more than one composer is the norm? Xenoblade's mish-mash of musicians is quite rare is it not?

This

x_by_onilink888-d7i6czs.gif

Was that a multiplayer, preview ?
Maybe ? *heavy breathing*

That's almost certainly a cutscene. You may be setting expectations a little high there!

Having said that (Xenoblade spoilers)
Melia + Shulk 4 eva

You're my kind of guy! I'm so happy
Melia
's VA is in this game.

Working on a translation of this video:

Lyn: I love looking down on NLA from up here in the transport craft.

Elma: Me too. We've only just begun reconstruction, but it always looks good.

Lyn: It sure does!

Elma: We could spend all day looking, but we don't have a lot of time, so, Lyn, I know it's sudden, but can I ask you to give an introduction of the Areas?

Lyn: Yep, you can count on me! Alright, firstly, there's the Area behind us that we just flew over, where Dagu and I were doing test flights before, that's the Industrial Area. There's food processing plants and weapons and doll development facilities there.

Elma: There's an exit that'll take you out to the West of the city here, so you'll probably pass through there quite often. By the way, there's two exits to the city - one in the Industrial Area and one in the BLADE Area.

Lyn: Next up is the Commercial Area. As the name implies, you'll find cafes, restaurants,general goods stores, clothing stores, and all sorts of other shops here.

Elma: This is the only part of NLA with the feel of a bustling town, so many types of people will gather here.

Lyn: Yes, it's very lively. Also, it's so pretty at night with all the neon lights, too! Next is the Residential Area. Here's were all the NLA residents have there houses. There's even a church and a big park!

Elma: If you ever want to quietly read a book or think about something, visiting the park might be a good idea.

Lyn: Sometimes I go to the park just to think about nothing. Lastly we have the BLADE Area. You might call this the heart of NLA. It's divided into Upper and Lower Halves. In the Upper Half is the BLADE home, where we live, and the tower where the BLADE headquarters and interim government is housed. In the Lower Half is a space for preparing and repairing Dolls. Alright, seems we're just about to land in the BLADE Area.

Elma: Thank you, Lyn.

Done now.

Xemnas89

Yeah if Nintendo doesn't have a hybrid console the main team will stay on consoles. The Xenoblade games bring in buyers in both Japan and the West who are slightly outside Nintendo's core fans. The handheld could receive a port of Xenoblade X. More likely I could see a spinoff game involving another evacuation ship with a smaller scale made. Monolith has three teams and while one is a support studio the other does SRPG games. Would be interesting to see a Xenoblade spinoff with that gameplay.

What they should actually do is re-release Soma Bringer on the 3DS and release it outside of Japan this time. Then they can have Xenoblade as their console franchise and Soma Bringer for handhelds.

ozfunghi

I think it was mentioned before that other countries have their own escape ships as well. This game just focused on White Whale. Who knows, maybe at some point we'll see a New Tokyo or New Vatican or anything similar.

I think someone mention in an interview that the Japanese Ship has escaped also but it won't be part of the story?

There's actually another colony ship (several are shown attempting escape) from Tokyo that escaped as well according to the devs. I think they said it wouldn't show up in this game.

Got to leave room for sequels.

Remember the White Whale (the US ship) had been in space 2 years before crash landing and it's two months after that when the game starts. Who knows where the other ships that survives went to.

Yes, they confirmed inthe Famitsu interview that, canonically, there were other ships built in major cities around the globe, including Japan, and that they attempted to escape. How many, if any, of the ships besides the White Whale got away is up in the air, although I imagine it will become a plot point later in the game.

Or become the basis of a sequel/spin-off in the future. ;)

ok :)

I wonder why they talk about 2 exits to the city, how do they keep you from just flying up and out? I guess they just never allow you a DOLL in that area or control over anything that flies outside a cutscene

If they're introducing the city to the Player Character, it must be relatively early in the game, so presumably you don't have your Doll yet thus even if you can fly in/out, you can't do it yet. Lyn, I think, said something in the Direct thingy last week about needing to earn license to use one. Being in BLADE doesn't seem to grant you automatic use of one, anyway.

Does the website confirm if gorgeous piece is Tanaka's?
fWLU58j.jpg

It totally looks like his stuff and it's exactly what I've been waiting to see

This is really quality stuff.

It looks like art you would see on the inside cover of a Playstation One game.

But it is coming for my system of choice.
It still has the ugliest characters since the invention of gaming.*
*Right after Delsin
Edit: First look at a DLC character.

Ugliest characters since the invention of gaming? Did you start gaming with PS3 or something?

Cant get anymore hyperbolic than that folks.

If they're introducing the city to the Player Character, it must be relatively early in the game, so presumably you don't have your Doll yet thus even if you can fly in/out, you can't do it yet. Lyn, I think, said something in the Direct thingy last week about needing to earn license to use one. Being in BLADE doesn't seem to grant you automatic use of one, anyway.

yeah I get the license for Dolls making them a much later addition just curious if the sky of NLA will be truly open as we saw major battles and attacks also friendly alien ships flying over

just wondering if all over NLA events are cutscenes or will we be able to 'buzz the tower' type of thing

not really sure they will allow us to fly Dolls into the city, into npc filled areas or city traffic

missfuuchan

Neo Member
Nice! What did you use to make it? I want a Monado keychain, but not very good at crafts.

It's 3D printed - they seem pretty popular, but hadn't thought of a keychain version in our etsy, we could always make you one if you like :)

I've been wearing my clip most days since the trailer - too excited!

Lumyst

Well, Xenoblade sat the bar extremely high. I have to agree the tracks don't sound as great as Xenoblade's, but still pretty good.

I think the choice of music has been interesting because after playing Xenoblade, I never would have expected the "next game" to go in this direction. It sounds like a combination of electronic, world, and pop music to my ears. But, I think it's important to meet the creators at their intent. By allowing them to do unusual things rather than to decry them for being unusual, I can expect and cherish a truly unique experience when playing the game. So about the character style or the music being unusual or unexpected, I think it's their attempts to give their game its own uniqueness. I admit that it's kind of jarring to hear dubstep or hip-hop in a JRGP, especially in the successor to Xenoblade Chronicles, but after the first 100 hours or so I expect I'll be singing along if some of that vocal stuff kicks in when flying a mech, haha :p That NLA flyover music put my concerns to rest though that subdued/ambient music would be gone.

Hiltz

Xenoblade 1 didn't actually perform well in Japan. While we don't know the lifetime sales of it, the game sold a mere 161k copies six months since its release in 2010, and around 80k copies came from its launch week sales. According to Reggie, the game performed well enough in Europe that convinced NOA to release it. Obviously, the game didn't sell a million copies, otherwise Nintendo would have mentioned it.

I think we're getting Xenoblade 2 because Nintendo pretty much has given Monolith Soft free reign to make the kind of games it wants to. Of course, Xenoblade's development must have been one of the more expensive projects for Nintendo, but they helped offset its costs by the lack of a strong marketing effort, and we know how it was particularly treated in North America with a limited market release. However, like you said, the first Xenoblade had critical acclaim so that probably helped convince Nintendo to green light a sequel and announce its intention to localize it sooner rather than later. Unfortunately, I don't expect Xenoblade X to sell well, but as long as it's good as Xenoblade 1, if not better, then we can all be happy that it even exists in the first place. Yeah, the inclusion of Shulk in Smash Bros 4 was unexpected and very cool of Sakurai to show support for, particularly as a character of interest to overseas Nintendo fans.

rhandino

Banned
I am actually really excited for the OST for the game, some of the song of the stream sound really amazing and so far I haven't heard something bad. But that could be that I haven't heard much of Sawano outside of Attack on Titan and Gundam Unicorn which I liked.

Feeling so much hype for this now (even made Rin's hair clips after the last trailer)
Oh! this look incredible cute.

Xenoblade Z, perhaps. :p

Well, it will depend largely on how the game will be received. If this game gets critical acclaim and/or sales success, maybe we'll see a new Xenoblade game after this one in the near future.

Nah, they skipped Xenoblade II-IX, so they have to fill in all the gaps right :p

Also, Nintendo did say something about the 'Xenoblade series'. In fact (in my opinion) the reason they stuck with the name Xenoblade was because Nintendo wants to serialize it, keep brand recognition going. It would only make sense if they're planning on continuing with new 'Xenoblade' games. Unless this massively tanks, which I think at this point is almost impossible. It's been getting a lot more attention and hype, within Nintendo circles, RPG circles, among fans of open world games, etc.

Top Bottom