Xenosaga hate thread, special guest Fady K

Jun 29, 2006
626
0
0
36
Indiana
users.ign.com
d[-_-]b said:
I own Silmeria, FFXII, ToA, etc., and I find Xenosaga Episode III to be better than them all. This is coming from someone who loves Tales, loves Final Fantasy, loves Tri-Ace, and many other RPGs.

Some just need to understand Fady K and I really like the series. I've been known to stick up for members some bashed in the past (Angels of a Wing was one of them).
White Man said:
No, but I was playing it in the same house.
Okay.

Faty K. said:
Thats too bad, bro, sorry u missed out on one of the greatest storylines since the renaissance period.:D
QFT.:)
 
Dec 19, 2005
16,019
1
0
Mana Knight said:
I own Silmeria, FFXII, ToA, etc., and I find Xenosaga Episode III to be better than them all. This is coming from someone who loves Tales, loves Final Fantasy, loves Tri-Ace, and many other RPGs.

Some just need to understand Fady K and I really like the series.
Believe me, we do understand. That's why we're all pointing and laughing so thoroughly.
 
Jul 22, 2006
3,470
0
0
Fady K said:
I feel the exact opposite about that statement. If u said that for Episode II, it make a lot more sense than it would be for Episode III, which I hardly find a flaw in. Oh well, opinions.
:lol

Let me get this straight.

RPG's should pretty much ride on rails. They should offer little or no exploration and absolutely no story interaction. Gameplay should offer little challenge, skill progression should be completely thoughtless (almost automated). Characters designs should be heavily fan serviced, story should be filled with lots of teen drama and melodramatic moments.

Please, honestly. I can respect your love for the series, but saying you can't see any flaws at all? Absurd.

Also, even though Episode II's story elements were crippled by some terrible writing and even worse voice acting (some of the scenes were still quiet powerful) it still had far superior gameplay in my opinion. Battle system was very innovative. You could never let your guard down and you had to constantly adjust your team members and strategy if you wanted to survive. Dungeon design had a lot of variety in terms of atmosphere and challenge (lots of different puzzles to solve).
 
Jun 11, 2005
7,644
0
1,250
Mana Knight said:
I am appointed as one of the officers in the group, as a Xenosaga character.
And yet I need help?

Mana Knight said:
I kind of like DW, but Devil Kings sure is better though. :)
Devil kings isnt better than anything, it's an edited mess (Do you like your history completely removed from a game based on history?), and neither is Sengoku Basara 1, which just isnt a very good game given the alternative (Samurai Warriors, covers the same historical period, even has some of the same historical figures).

Sengoku Basara 2 you may have an argument for, as its actually a good game, and can give Samurai Warriors a run for its money if you like speed more than strategy.
 
Jan 29, 2005
23,348
3
0
Fady K said:
But the Breath of Fire series arent connected storywise. Dragon Quarter was completely different too. Dragon Quarter was an odd one for me, cause it started out with a lot of hate, then i ended up LOVING the game. Any news on a new Breath of Fire anywhere at all? Also, beautiful soundtrack.

Just curious, but why did you hate 5? I know a lot of people didnt like the style and combat system as well as the story and the atmosphere.
It doesn't matter if they are connected storywise. I don't hate 5, I haven't played it. And that won't change, ever.
 
Jul 22, 2006
3,470
0
0
Red Scarlet said:
It doesn't matter if they are connected storywise. I don't hate 5, I haven't played it. And that won't change, ever.
Guilty by association eh? Oh well. :)

EDIT: I guess I understand though. I played Wild Arms 1 and 2. Hated both. Now I don't even recognize that the series still exist.
 
Sep 27, 2006
8,905
0
0
33
Mana Knight said:
I do agree, especially in relation to .Hack. The series didn't do as well for me at the beginning, so I decided to not continue. Since .Hack//G.U. seems to be vastly different (since it starts off as a new story), I have interest in it.

I haven't gotten into DQ yet, but I haven't had much opportunity to play it (I liked the other BoF games though). The soundtrack is definitely beautiful, and I find myself wanting to listen to it a lot. :D I want a new one, but after the way DQ performed, I doubt we'll ever see another. :(

Due to the way the first sold, around 15k I believe, we may never get it. :(

Well, not as well as what Xenosaga Episode I & II did, but better than most RPGs in the U.S. :) Yeah, BK Origins did do terrible.

No, it's just for fun. I appointed officers as characters in every single gaming group I created (Xenogears, Tales of _______, Wild Arms, Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Kingdom Hearts (my college one), Final Fantasy (my college one), Lunar, etc.).
Well, my roommate is a .hack fan, and he'll be playing GU soon, so ill wait for his impressions. As for Dragon Quarter, the game didnt sell too hot, so i have my doubts...soundtrack was great indeed, by the FFXII composer after all :) I didnt know Devil Kings only sold 15k :( Still sold more than BK0 though :(

Chill bro, they're just positions for the big members at a Xenosaga Group. They dont pretend theyre actual characters.

firex said:
What do you call a person who gets conned into buying XS by these fanatical fanboys? The answer is tonight's Word: Xenosucker.
Actually, u can call them "a person who is looking for a great RPG with an even greater story"

Mana Knight said:
I own Silmeria, FFXII, ToA, etc., and I find Xenosaga Episode III to be better than them all. This is coming from someone who loves Tales, loves Final Fantasy, loves Tri-Ace, and many other RPGs.

Some just need to understand Fady K and I really like the series. I've been known to stick up for members some bashed in the past (Angels of a Wing was one of them).
Okay.

QFT.:)
I own Silmeria, FFXII, and TotA and im still extremely impressed with XS3. Im glad someone at least feels the same way I do. As for the infamous quote of the greatest story since the renaissance period, i still stick to that :)

Diablos said:
You heard that right :D

ethelred said:
Believe me, we do understand. That's why we're all pointing and laughing so thoroughly.
Lame.

Avalon said:
:lol

Let me get this straight.

RPG's should pretty much ride on rails. They should offer little or no exploration and absolutely no story interaction. Gameplay should offer little challenge, skill progression should be completely thoughtless (almost automated). Characters designs should be heavily fan serviced, story should be filled with lots of teen drama and melodramatic moments.

Please, honestly. I can respect your love for the series, but saying you can't see any flaws at all? Absurd.

Also, even though Episode II's story elements were crippled by some terrible writing and even worse voice acting (some of the scenes were still quiet powerful) it still had far superior gameplay in my opinion. Battle system was very innovative. You could never let your guard down and you had to constantly adjust your team members and strategy if you wanted to survive. Dungeon design had a lot of variety in terms of atmosphere and challenge (lots of different puzzles to solve).
Sometimes, exploration isnt necessary as it would deviate from the main storyline, and people would complain. Gameplay offered little challenge to you, but offered a lot of challenge to a lot of others. Not just cause we suck, maybe its just cause you're too good :) Skill progression was awesome in this game bro, it wasnt really thoughtless, you choose one of two paths, and they worked really well, i think. As for character designs, most people who played it from review sites say they finally nailed the character design with this one. Teen drama? Melodrama? Not in XS3 :/

And honestly dude, when I say i cant see no flaws, i dont mean the game is perfect. There are flaws, yes. For instance, i wish there were more dungeons. I wish there were more special attacks. I wish there were more sidequests. And actually, i really disliked
the Shion and Kos-Mos scenes most of the time when Shions all "kos-mos nooooooo!" "wait kos-mos!!" u know? These can be downright annoying
. So what i meant is, these flaws dont really hurt the experience since overall i loved the game. I hope that clears things up.

I like what you said there about the gameplay.

By the way, off topic, but i see that you're one of the few who finished Rule of Rose, dont u think how cool it was when you play the final chapter and finally understand everything that went on in the game?

pancakesandsex said:
And yet I need help?



Devil kings isnt better than anything, it's an edited mess (Do you like your history completely removed from a game based on history?), and neither is Sengoku Basara 1, which just isnt a very good game given the alternative (Samurai Warriors, covers the same historical period, even has some of the same historical figures).

Sengoku Basara 2 you may have an argument for, as its actually a good game, and can give Samurai Warriors a run for its money if you like speed more than strategy.
Historically, probably, but i liked the gameplay in DK more. U say SB2 is a good game, and that saddens me even more since were not getting a localized one :(

Red Scarlet said:
It doesn't matter if they are connected storywise. I don't hate 5, I haven't played it. And that won't change, ever.
Wait a sec, u havent played it? U might like it, give it a shot.
 
Sep 22, 2006
484
0
0
I'd like to start off by thanking Error for starting this thread.

For the past two months or so, I've been gettin "Dude! You need to try this game! You'll love it!" from the notorious Fady K. Two months ain't much, but it seems like a lot more than that when he's living next door. X_x

I feel that it is my duty to express how I feel about this Xenosucker's obsession with the series.

I own Silmeria, FFXII, and TotA and im still extremely impressed with XS3. Im glad someone at least feels the same way I do.
Notice how this con artist plays with his words as if he's saying that X3 beats FFXII, TotA, and Silmeria. Oh yeah Fady? Well, how many of these other inferior games have you finished?

Facts:

- Fady hasn't played TotA.
- Fady doesn't own FFXII. He has ordered it though, but it hasn't arrived yet. Oh, and he watched the openning from MY copy of FFXII.

Notice how he speaks so highly of Xenosaga I and II, yet admits that they have are really lacking in some areas. He tries to sell them as perfect, but then points out that III was even "more perfect".

Unfortunately, I've been conned into playing the Xenosaga games. Well, at least two thirds of them. I quit somewhere around the end of two because it was too damn boring. Truthfully, I don't have anything against games with long cut scenes. Cut scenes are usually never boring. Yet, I've stumbled upon a certain someone who lives next door who LITERALLY fell asleep while playing Xenosaga III.

Gah... I can't really bash XS3, because I never played nor have I finished XS2. Yet, I bash Fady because that's just fun, and because I can. =D
 
Sep 27, 2006
8,905
0
0
33
Hadji said:
I'd like to start off by thanking Error for starting this thread.

For the past two months or so, I've been gettin "Dude! You need to try this game! You'll love it!" from the notorious Fady K. Two months ain't much, but it seems like a lot more than that when he's living next door. X_x

I feel that it is my duty to express how I feel about this Xenosucker's obsession with the series.



Notice how this con artist plays with his words as if he's saying that X3 beats FFXII, TotA, and Silmeria. Oh yeah Fady? Well, how many of these other inferior games have you finished?

Facts:

- Fady hasn't played TotA.
- Fady doesn't own FFXII. He has ordered it though, but it hasn't arrived yet. Oh, and he watched the openning from MY copy of FFXII.

Notice how he speaks so highly of Xenosaga I and II, yet admits that they have are really lacking in some areas. He tries to sell them as perfect, but then points out that III was even "more perfect".

Unfortunately, I've been conned into playing the Xenosaga games. Well, at least two thirds of them. I quit somewhere around the end of two because it was too damn boring. Truthfully, I don't have anything against games with long cut scenes. Cut scenes are usually never boring. Yet, I've stumbled upon a certain hypocrital Xenosucker who lives next door who LITERALLY fell asleep while playing Xenosaga III.

Gah... I can't really bash XS3, because I never played nor have I finished XS2. Yet, I bash Fady because that's just fun, and because I can. =D
What the?? I DO own FFXII fool, not the english version, and i never said i owned the "english" version. I *did* play Tales of the Abyss way before u did, and im the one that gave u the first impressions. Just because a game has faults, doesnt mean i cant love it overall. WTF. I never said Xenosaga Episode I + II were perfect. Never!

I said 3 was perfect. Btw, u werent conned into playing the Xenogames, u actually CAME AND ASKED ME FOR THEM ON UR OWN, i was pushing u to FINISH episode II so u can start III. Nothing more. Nothing less. Thanks a lot for calling me a hypocrite. And when I "fell asleep" it was because i couldnt stop playing the game i tried to stay up the whole time but my body was dead tired!

Seriously, now u pissed me off.
 

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Jul 26, 2004
28,052
1
0
Long Island, NY
Red Scarlet said:
Now see, these people understand exactly how I feel about Breath of Fire, and why I don't really care what people have to say about Dragon Quarter. I paid my dues with the first 2 BoF games, and I really simply don't care about how omggreat BoF5 supposedly is, just like they don't care how XS3 supposedly is too.

*group hug*
Well, in all fairness, BOF5 is a complete reinvention of the game series, focusing more on survival, resource management, and strategic combat, than the first 4, which are pretty much the definition of bland, by-the-book RPGs with an excess of fetch quests. XS3 doesn't look like much of a change at all from the other 2 games though, in terms of story and presentation. (I played XG, which I liked although felt it was flawed, and XS1 which I thought was a chore to play and a total disappointment... never bothered with 2, I'm done with the series, there are too many other good RPGs to play).
 
Sep 22, 2006
484
0
0
I DO own FFXII fool, not the english version, and i never said i owned the "english" version.
I *did* play Tales of the Abyss way before u did, and im the one that gave u the first impressions.
Eh? I can't remember you playing it. I thought you were just quoting a review. Well, you haven't played much of it then.

A copy of a language that you don't speak... K, I'll give you that one. =p

I never said Xenosaga Episode I + II were perfect.
I said that you "try to sell them as perfect".

Btw, u werent conned into playing the Xenogames, u actually CAME AND ASKED ME FOR THEM ON UR OWN
Yeah, that's more or less true, but I'm just playing along with the rest of the hate in the thread.

Thanks a lot for calling me a hypocrite.
I didn't really mean it ya know. O__o

And when I "fell asleep" it was because i couldnt stop playing the game i tried to stay up the whole time but my body was dead tired!
I call it like I see it buddy. XSIII on the TV monitor and a sleeping Fady.

Seriously, now u pissed me off.
Ouch. Well, I'm sorry if I offended you. I never really meant to. This isn't like the first time I've stated my opinion about your obsession with XS. You're also guilty of doing the same to me when I was playing Magna Carta. ;)

Anyways, chill out dude. By the way, my first post wasn't serious at all.

Oh and for the rest of the readers out there
Xenosaga 1 isn't that bad.
=X
 
Jul 22, 2006
3,470
0
0
Fady K said:
Sometimes, exploration isnt necessary as it would deviate from the main storyline, and people would complain. Gameplay offered little challenge to you, but offered a lot of challenge to a lot of others. Not just cause we suck, maybe its just cause you're too good :) Skill progression was awesome in this game bro, it wasnt really thoughtless, you choose one of two paths, and they worked really well, i think. As for character designs, most people who played it from review sites say they finally nailed the character design with this one. Teen drama? Melodrama? Not in XS3 :/

And honestly dude, when I say i cant see no flaws, i dont mean the game is perfect. There are flaws, yes. For instance, i wish there were more dungeons. I wish there were more special attacks. I wish there were more sidequests. And actually, i really disliked
the Shion and Kos-Mos scenes most of the time when Shions all "kos-mos nooooooo!" "wait kos-mos!!" u know? These can be downright annoying
. So what i meant is, these flaws dont really hurt the experience since overall i loved the game. I hope that clears things up.

I like what you said there about the gameplay.

By the way, off topic, but i see that you're one of the few who finished Rule of Rose, dont u think how cool it was when you play the final chapter and finally understand everything that went on in the game?
Exploration is a way to immerse the player in the game. It makes me feel like I'm actually in that world instead of just following some predestined liner path. Xenosaga in general pretty much ignore that type of exploration (Well, some of the towns were quiet lively)... Forest had corridors for the love of god... :(

You pretty much summed up why I thought the Skill system was bad as well... You can do just about anything and it works. No need to come up with different character builds.

Also,
Virgil and Febronia. Shion, Allen and Kevin.
Are you seriously telling me there wasn't any teen drama?

Rule of Rose crippled me emotionally for a while. It was a very powerful story. Now, if you are trying to say Xenosaga gave you that feeling... I wish I could have experienced it as well. That's what I was hoping all along.
 
Sep 27, 2006
8,905
0
0
33
Lindsay said:
This just keeps getting better and better with Scarlet getting assualted by BoF fanboys and now Fady's neighbor(?) joining the fray! Watch out he's pissed off now! :lol
Well, all of us get assaulted now n then :lol

djtiesto said:
Well, in all fairness, BOF5 is a complete reinvention of the game series, focusing more on survival, resource management, and strategic combat, than the first 4, which are pretty much the definition of bland, by-the-book RPGs with an excess of fetch quests. XS3 doesn't look like much of a change at all from the other 2 games though, in terms of story and presentation. (I played XG, which I liked although felt it was flawed, and XS1 which I thought was a chore to play and a total disappointment... never bothered with 2, I'm done with the series, there are too many other good RPGs to play).
I thought BofV rocks too. Overall, im sure many people think that there are many other RPGs to play out there that are better than the Xenosaga series. Namco just shouldve done a better job with the first two games so it wouldnt alienate RPG fans. I was fine with it all though.

Hadji said:
Eh? I can't remember you playing it. I thought you were just quoting a review. Well, you haven't played much of it then.

A copy of a language that you don't speak... K, I'll give you that one. =p



I said that you "try to sell them as perfect".



Yeah, that's more or less true, but I'm just playing along with the rest of the hate in the thread.



I didn't really mean it ya know. O__o



I call it like I see it buddy. XSIII on the TV monitor and a sleeping Fady.



Ouch. Well, I'm sorry if I offended you. I never really meant to. This isn't like the first time I've stated my opinion about your obsession with XS. You're also guilty of doing the same to me when I was playing Magna Carta. ;)

Anyways, chill out dude. By the way, my first post wasn't serious at all.

Oh and for the rest of the readers out there
Xenosaga 1 isn't that bad.
=X
Yeah, i thought u meant it, thats why i got pissed off. As for me sleeping, as i said earlier, i had a lot of free time on the weekend one day and played on and on (breaks in between of course :)) until i fell asleep, NOT cause i was bored :'(

No hard feelings roomy, u just couldve gave these guys at GAF here the impression that i was bored playing XS3, which would make me look like an even bigger idiot than what most (if not all :p) of GAF would think.

Knowing u, as ur my roommate, im so sure ull love Xenosaga 3, i know ur style well as, so i expect a hit in ur book.

Avalon said:
Exploration is a way to immerse the player in the game. It makes me feel like I'm actually in that world instead of just following some predestined liner path. Xenosaga in general pretty much ignore that type of exploration (Well, some of the towns were quiet lively)... Forest had corridors for the love of god... :(

You pretty much summed up why I thought the Skill system was bad as well... You can do just about anything and it works. No need to come up with different character builds.

Also,
Virgil and Febronia. Shion, Allen and Kevin.
Are you seriously telling me there wasn't any teen drama?

Rule of Rose crippled me emotionally for a while. It was a very powerful story. Now, if you are trying to say Xenosaga gave you that feeling... I wish I could have experienced it as well. That's what I was hoping all along.
Now i see why you didnt like the skill system. I actually thought the stuff between
Feb and Virgil, Shion and Allen
were very dramatic.

As for Rule of Rose, it was an amazing experience honestly, i was a little bored in some areas, but when i got to the
Once upon a time
chapter i was in love. Yeah i got that kind of feeling with Xenosaga. Whatre u playing now anyway?

pancakesandsex said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
Yeah, Hadji is my roommate people, good buds for years, unlike my love for ducky, this one is official.

Hadji said:
What's this? I thought I was going to be destroyed for liking Magna Carta. =o
Maybe when Error is free sometime, hell make a Magna Carta hate thread, special guest Hadji :lol
 
Oct 16, 2006
3,666
0
1,005
personally I've treid Xenosaga 1 purely based on the tenious connection it has to Xenogears and found it to be a pretty boring game and never finished it.

From their I lost intrest in the series and that's been it for me.

I think part of the problem I had with it was that it felt like I was playing more of a slightly interactive movie then an actual video game with the long ass cut sceens and the limited gameplay (at least in the parts as far as I got).

I can't honestly say it's a bad series, I haven't played it enough to judge it like that, but I can say that it's simply not one for me.
 
Sep 27, 2006
8,905
0
0
33
Stage On said:
personally I've treid Xenosaga 1 purely based on the tenious connection it has to Xenogears and found it to be a pretty boring game and never finished it.

From their I lost intrest in the series and that's been it for me.

I think part of the problem I had with it was that it felt like I was playing more of a slightly interactive movie then an actual video game with the long ass cut sceens and the limited gameplay (at least in the parts as far as I got).

I can't honestly say it's a bad series, I haven't played it enough to judge it like that, but I can say that it's simply not one for me.
Yeah, you probably wouldnt really like Episode III, if u never at least got into the story of EpI.

Lindsay said:
Yeah I know that well. ;_;

Fans of hated games unite!
Are you referring to Dot Hack?

RevenantKioku said:
Believe me, I know what it's like to love a hated game. Series too! Look at my ****ing tag!
But c'mon. Read a goddamned pamphlet on anal leakage before making statements like "Best story since TEH RENISAUNCE"
Surely u know i was exagerrating a little when i said that :) In all fairness, i would think so for myself, as ive never enjoyed any story like XS3s. But i wouldnt say and fully mean such a thing to the gaming public as i know it'll...arouse anal leakage :/
 
Apr 5, 2006
3,321
0
0
A lot of what's wrong with gaming is settled in this thread.

I feel as if I could reach through the internet and destroy it, role playing games would evolve almost instantly.
 
Sep 27, 2006
8,905
0
0
33
RSLAEV said:
A lot of what's wrong with gaming is settled in this thread.

I feel as if I could reach through the internet and destroy it, role playing games would evolve almost instantly.
Hmmm, an interesting dicovery, you have made. To think that role playing games would evolve forever because of a thread...spread the word, RSLAEV, to Gamespot, IGN, and the rest of the world! For together, we shall destroy this thread, and together, we shall witness the birth of a new age of RPGs!

Error2k4 said:
wait... it left the toilet? when? :p
Shut up, dingbat!
 

P90

Member
Jun 15, 2004
5,354
0
0
6.8 said:
We need Xenosaga Defence Force tags.

Before playing Ep. 3, I would have requested to be on the XDF, at least for Ep. 1. I hated Ep. 2. Ep. 3's story went from quite good to hunh to wtf is this is sh!t?. The mech battles towards the end were quite fun I must admit.

I'm now glad the series is over. Not to be resurrected or willed to back life.
 
Jul 22, 2006
3,470
0
0
Fady K said:
Now i see why you didnt like the skill system. I actually thought the stuff between
Feb and Virgil, Shion and Allen
were very dramatic.

As for Rule of Rose, it was an amazing experience honestly, i was a little bored in some areas, but when i got to the
Once upon a time
chapter i was in love. Yeah i got that kind of feeling with Xenosaga. Whatre u playing now anyway?
Maybe my tolerance for that kind of material is gone now that I'm older? Quiet frankly, I found those scenes to be quiet bad, almost inappropriate. I almost turned off the console during the scene with
Allen, Kevin and Shion
towards the end. Angst meter went through the roof!

God damn Rule of Rose. Even now when I think about it... some of that stuff was almost unbearable to watch.

Mostly Neverwinter Nights 2. Finishing up my Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth (hard mode) and Final Fantasy XII game as well.
 
Sep 22, 2006
484
0
0
He's asleep right now and he's got a class soon... I think the coast is clear for the next two to three hours at least.

'Ave at 'im lads! *raises rebellious fist*
 
Oct 11, 2005
4,755
0
1,160
Hadji said:
...who the fu** are you?! <__<
A raging voice of wisdom looking down with sadness on this pitiable thread. Seriously though, your BFFL is still waiting for you to go hug it out with him, Xenosaga didn't let him down, don't you start.