• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yuna's sending in Kilika

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
This gets me every time. :(

The FMV triggers, the music cues, and I sit here feeling so sad watching the relatives cry.

Damn it.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
It was horrifying. I never wanted to see her dance again.

Is what our favorite protagonist Tidus would say.

Levyne

Banned
GAF's very own Orioto made this art of the sending and it was my phone lock screen for quite some time.

song_of_prayers_by_orioto-d8s97gh.jpg

Sblargh

Banned
FFX opening scene and this scene blew me away. Never seen anything like it at the time.

The opening, yeah. I can (and have) show the opening to any of my non-gaming friends and they instantly get it that this is a special game and why I like it. Which is not true for most of the stuff I play, lol.

I love the Yuna dance, but the opening is perfect imo.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It was OK. Not sure I got that emotional but definitely good CG for the time. It still looked great when I played it on Vita.

wmlk

Best part of the game probably. It's actually really, really damn good and probably iconic.

I didn't like the game very much. Cool on paper, but the game itself wasn't as exciting to me.

Incredible scene.
Some relatives were watching me play it back when it was released and their jaws dropped to the floor.

The ending also always gets me.

The standout scenes in this game are truly incredible, it's a shame they're part of what is otherwise a very average game. It's a chore to replay.

Manu

A few years ago I watched Distant Worlds live, and they played this scene while they played "To Zanarkand." I promised myself I wouldn't cry. I cried. A lot.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
The title scene, opening scene, and this scene convinced me that we were truly in the next gen back in those days. Haven't really had that moment for this current gen though.

Garlador

The thing that makes this scene work so well is that it follows up the scene of Sin's destruction, which hits with the force of a nuclear bomb.

Especially since you saw children playing with that blitzball right before Sin hits.

It was the moment I realized this game was going to be a really rough ride.

pantsmith

Great way of characterizing Yuna - quiet, selfless servant of the people who shows the utmost compassion for her duty, Spira, and the faith of its people.

There is a great reverence in her sending.

Also sells you on the suffering this world has had to endure, and why a summoner would walk to the ends of the earth to try and give them a brief window without Sin.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Great way of characterizing Yuna - quiet, selfless servant of the people who shows the utmost compassion for her duty, Spira, and the faith of its people.

Also sells you on the suffering this world has had to endure, and why a summoner would walk to the ends of the earth to try and give them a brief window without Sin.

Couldn't have said it better. Yup.

The scene itself in concept and execution was done well.

I still don't care for this game very much as a whole however.

When people call this game shitty, full of shitty characters and the worst FF story seemingly always citing the misunderstood laughing scene, I think of scenes like this one and truly feel confused for them. Like.. how is this the worst story you've ever played in a video game, let alone a FF? Say what you will about the characters and their VA (which still get judged far too harshly on here imo) but the world-building and lore are so brilliantly weaved together with the storytelling, I still feel like it has yet to be topped.

Maybe Resonance of Fate comes close?

Garlador

"I hope... I hope I did okay."
"You did very well. But... no tears next time, hm?"

Powerful stuff.

Great scene. It really gives you a sense of the stakes in this world, the role of the summoners within it, what you're hoping to accomplish, all that good stuff.

reKon

Banned
I'm actually replaying the game right now for the first time in maybe 8-10 years. As aged as the dialogue is, this part of the game was done really really well. The version of that theme the play is definitely more haunting and emotional than the other times it plays in the game.

Yeah, it's a pretty incredible scene that's aged beautifully. Honestly I would go so far to say it could be timeless. It's a beautiful scene visually and extremely touching in context. The characters have enough style in how they were designed that they don't fall into the uncanny valley, (for me at least), so it feels pretty future proof.

Top Bottom