• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zack Snyder's Justice League |OT| Tell Me...Do You Still Bleed?

ManaByte

oFRydGm.jpg

Thursday March 18th on HBO Max in the US. VOD and other options internationally. 4 hours, 2 minutes long.

A remastered version of Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice Ultimate Edition will also be added on HBO Max on the same day, UHD BD/Digital the following week. ZSJL BD release rumored for May.

Last edited:

Cravis

Wow, visually this looks absolutely stunning! I think the only things that could bring the movie down is bizarre pacing, writing, direction, and a fundamental misunderstanding of it's characters.

But good thing this is a Zack Snyder film.
Youre Good Robert Deniro GIF

ManaByte

Wow, visually this looks absolutely stunning! I think the only things that could bring the movie down is bizarre pacing, writing, direction, and a fundamental misunderstanding of it's characters.

regeneration you are already dead GIF by Cult Records

ManaByte

Posted this in the trailer thread.

If anyone wants to know how it's different than the theatrical cut, spoilers below.

I think a lot of people are vastly over hyping it into something they want it to be vs what it really is. I've seen some insane theories about the ending on Reddit with massive Darkseid cliffhangers and time travel. That's not this movie. I think some people read the JL2 and 3 outlines and think those plot points are part of this movie.

Like how the UE of BvS improved that by fleshing out storylines, this is improved by stuff being removed (the Russian family) and better visuals. But overall it's still the same fundamental story as the 2017 movie, it ends the same way (with one addition), and is a much longer version of the same JL story with more stuff:

The opening scene is still Superman, but not the freaky CG version. It's different and is basically him in agony for about five minutes. Then things slow down for about 30-40 min and nothing really happens. A lot of the extra two hours is just talking, but there's some cool stuff.

• Cyborg's back story is big part of it. Lots of that added. Cyborg probably has the most added stuff out of anyone.
  • More Nightmare future scenes, which are cool.
  • There's a new flashback where Darkseid fights Ares.
  • There's a little more Mera.
  • There's a scene where the League tries to destroy the three motherboxes and fails.
  • The dumb "KAL-EL NOOOOOOO!" is still in it, meaning that WASN'T a Whedon addition like people believe.
  • The third act is much better without the Russian family and without the red filter.

The ending:
Basically the same as before where Clark Kent rips open his shirt, but then it cuts to Bruce dreaming of the Nightmare future again where he talked to Joker. That ends when he's woken up by Martian Manhunter. The end.

Last edited:

Madflavor

I think some people read the JL2 and 3 outlines and think those plot points are part of this movie.

Snyder's character arc for Superman is simply sublime.

1. Is the Chosen One. Destined to inspire and lead mankind, to help them accomplish wonders.
2. Dies a year and a half into his career.
3. Is resurrected Christ style to deliver us from evil.
4. Gets cucked by Batman and becomes evil.
5. Is not the one to defeat Darkseid.
6. Marries Lois and raises Bruce's kid.

I mean it's just amazing. I don't see any Superman fan not wanting this.

And due to that Tom and Jerry mix-up there's some serious spoiler images out in the wild now, including one of the mystery parts from the ending. Be careful.

VulcanRaven

There are more screenhosts on Reddit that have spoilers. It looks like someone could watch the whole movie.

Last edited:

Madflavor

What I'm absolutely dying to know is, will Kevin Smith post a selfie of him teared up after watching this movie?

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
What I'm absolutely dying to know is, will Kevin Smith post a selfie of him teared up after watching this movie?

I don't know. He seems pretty high on WandaVision.

Ionian

Is there anything that dude doesn't cry about when it comes to comics/sci - fi?

Watched some of the clips, this looks hilariously bad. Then again I only ever watched clips of Whedon's version and that looked awful too.

Could it be so bad it's good?

OnionSnake

Banned
Sounds like a mess, as expected. Not sure what people expected given it was still Snyder at the helm. I’m sure r/Dc_cinematic will still be gushing over it though

ManaByte

Is it really weird that a forum dedicated to DC films would be gushing over a DC film? Is it really?

The sub has basically become a Zack Snyder sub so much that any other DC movie post gets spammed downvoted. People tried to split off a while ago and form a different DC Films sub to discuss the movies coming up beyond the Sydercut, but it hasn't gained any traction.

OnionSnake

Banned
Is it really weird that a forum dedicated to DC films would be gushing over a DC film? Is it really?
They have an unhealthy parasocial relationship with Snyder. They were fully on board with the conspiracy theory that rotten tomatoes was paid to review marvel movies higher than DC and all that nonsense lol. Think at one point they would even ban you for trolling if you brought up the MARTHA scene

ManaByte

They have an unhealthy parasocial relationship with Snyder. They were fully on board with the conspiracy theory that rotten tomatoes was paid to review marvel movies higher than DC and all that nonsense lol. Think at one point they would even ban you for trolling if you brought up the MARTHA scene

The conspiracy theories approach Q-Anon levels. Like Snyder debunked all of their "Geoff Johns is a snake" conspiracies while doing press for this. Said nothing he suggested was bad and that he literally wrote the JL 2 and 3 pitches and those storyboards were in Johns handwriting. But of course when people are convinced of a conspiracy theory even that explanation is tied into the conspiracy to say Snyder was "forced" to say it or something stupid.

FunkMiller

This about sums it up. The film will look great, but it’ll be poor in terms of story and character. Just like BvS. It won’t be the abortion that the theatrical version was, but it’ll still suffer with all the problems Snyder’s work is always riddled with.

Edit: I wonder if anyone got a rip of the flick when HBO Max leaked it? It’ll be all over the torrent sites if they did!

Last edited:

OnionSnake

Banned
The conspiracy theories approach Q-Anon levels. Like Snyder debunked all of their "Geoff Johns is a snake" conspiracies while doing press for this. Said nothing he suggested was bad and that he literally wrote the JL 2 and 3 pitches and those storyboards were in Johns handwriting. But of course when people are convinced of a conspiracy theory even that explanation is tied into the conspiracy to say Snyder was "forced" to say it or something stupid.
Yep, exactly right QAnon levels. Very strange they latched onto such a meh director too

Madflavor

Is Wonder Woman the most inconsistent character in the DCEU? Her personality, power set, and tone of her character is all over the place. In terms of power there are times she comes off high tier, and other times mid tier. She learns how to fly in WW84, despite her never using it in BvS and JL. She's like a completely different person in WW84 compared to BvS. It's just so poorly done.

Her character was great in WW, but her power set and the way she moved was more accurate in BvS.

ManaByte

Snyder himself admits that the Whedon cut is canon to the DCEU:

This isn't controversial that, you know, Warner Brothers, is it, that this film, My Justice League, is not canon, right. Kanfer Warner Brothers is the Joss Whedon version of justice. Right. That's that's their in their mind, that's canon. And what I'm doing is not. And so it's everything is. No. So it's just an interesting that relationship. And I'm fine with it because I feel like the only way that I could have made this film was autonomy was because of that.

WB said this months ago:

Other things in the interview he did with Reddit:

ManaByte

Since HBO Max caved in to hashtag spamming, #RestoreTheSnyderVerse is the new #ReleaseTheSnyderCut that's being spammed on social media now.

This is in reaction to Snyder admitting his cut isn't canon to the DCEU.

Last edited:
Cannon to the DCEU ? Are they joking?? And what does that include, really?

Suicide Squad? Aren't they rebooting it kinda?
Which Joker? Leto or Phoenix?
Superman is getting rebooted right? JJ Abrams?
Pattinson Batman is a mess and forever away and completely unrelated to the other films.

So that leaves you with Wonder Woman and Aquaman....

reboot the whole damn thing!

FunkMiller

Since HBO Max caved in to hashtag spamming, #RestoreTheSnyderVerse is the new #ReleaseTheSnyderCut that's being spammed on social media now.

This is in reaction to Snyder admitting his cut isn't canon to the DCEU.

What a huge surprise. I think some of them thought that getting the Snyder Cut would mean more from Zack, but that was never, ever on the cards. They've moved on from his work now. Matt Reeves is going to absolutely knock it out of the park with The Batman.

They really should just kill off the DCEU other than making a third Wonder Woman film.

ManaByte

They really should just kill off the DCEU other than making a third Wonder Woman film.

They seem to have a plan now. They always needed a Feige, and it seems like they found that when they gave JJ Abrams $500M to be exclusive to WB. He's producing the JL Dark HBO Max series, the SUPERMAN reboot, and they want him to direct a big DC tentpole if he'll do it. They just need The Flash to reset the timeline in his movie to kick it off.

Cannon to the DCEU ? Are they joking?? And what does that include, really?

Suicide Squad? Aren't they rebooting it kinda?
Which Joker? Leto or Phoenix?
Superman is getting rebooted right? JJ Abrams?
Pattinson Batman is a mess and forever away and completely unrelated to the other films.

So that leaves you with Wonder Woman and Aquaman....

reboot the whole damn thing!

The Flash is the reboot.

Last edited:

Madflavor

They seem to have a plan now. They always needed a Feige, and it seems like they found that when they gave JJ Abrams $500M to be exclusive to WB. He's producing the JL Dark HBO Max series, the SUPERMAN reboot, and they want him to direct a big DC tentpole if he'll do it. They just need The Flash to reset the timeline in his movie to kick it off.

The Flash is the reboot.

I wish the Black Superman movie was treated as an Elseworlds movie. If they're rebooting everything, and it's going to be a shared universe, I would prefer Clark Kent personally.

OnionSnake

Banned
Yep Flash is them restarting this whole mess. Hope they can keep some of the stuff that works though

I wish the Black Superman movie was treated as an Elseworlds movie. If they're rebooting everything, and it's going to be a shared universe, I would prefer Clark Kent personally.
Why can’t Clark Kent be black?

Last edited:

Madflavor

Yep Flash is them restarting this whole mess. Hope they can keep some of the stuff that works though

I mean you have actual Black Superman characters who aren't a copy of Clark Kent, who have their own origin stories. I mean people complain about Superman's origin being done to death, so why waste the opportunity to give them something very different?

The only argument I've heard is the interest of seeing a black version of Clark Kent growing up in Kansas, and how his world viewpoint might be different. But then I think the story would feel like it mostly revolves around his blackness and come off like a racial commentary piece, instead of a Superman movie.

Dacon

Banned

Oh he can be, but he shouldn't be. Clark Kent is white.

There's a dozen other Superman type characters that are black that can be used, palette swapping Kent instead of elevating those characters is stupid and insulting.

There's absolutely no reason to erase a characters race that's any good. We can do better than a white character in black face.

If you absolutely need a black Superman, then we have Val Zod.

ac7f7a72cb865c6a5fa38da380f0929d.jpg

Whom, within the greater context of the Earth 2 story, is a pretty good character all his own and not just some shameless color wash. His race isn't focused on as a major trait of who he is as a person and he has some truly inspiring moments.

Hell I'd be down for an Earth 2 movie, trim the fat and you'd have a pretty badass elseworlds film. Thomas Wayne Batman, Red Tornado Lois, and even Aquawoman were pretty awesome. Power Girl had some great moments too, but she would never fly in a live action movie.

Last edited:
Top Bottom