• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zack Synder war on comics continues, Jesse Eisenberg to return in justice League

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really bothered me they killed his assistant like that. Lex wouldn't throw away a down for the cause pawn like that. He always have at least 1 or 2 people in the know just for backup.

I like Snyder more than most but his tendency to just kill off characters that could be useful is really annoying and betrays his lack of vision: Jimmy Olsen, Mercy, professor Hamilton... I mean, he even killed Superman for no reason and wasted what could have been a good story opportunity in a later movie.

It really bothered me they killed his assistant like that. Lex wouldn't throw away a down for the cause pawn like that. He always have at least 1 or 2 people in the know just for backup.
Especially since this lex weighs a buck twenty soaking wet. Dude would always surround himself with people that could protect him. Killing all those guys off made no sense.

Why exactly are people pissed off about this?

Because the Justice League is going to be directed by the same guy who said this:

Everyone says that about [Christopher Nolan’s] Batman Begins. ”Batman’s dark.” I’m like, okay, ”No, Batman’s cool.” He gets to go to a Tibetan monastery and be trained by ninjas. Okay? I want to do that. But he doesn’t, like, get raped in prison. That could happen in my movie. If you want to talk about dark, that’s how that would go.

That’s Superman gone bad. If Superman grabbed your arm and pulled really hard, he’d pull your arm out of your socket. That’s the thing you don’t see in a Superman movie. But in Watchmen, what you get is, like, ”I’m a Superman, and I really want to help mankind — but I just tore this guy in half by accident. People call me a ‘superhero,’ but I don’t even know what that means. I just blew this guy to bits! That’s heroic?”

This cinematic universe is a shitshow and I don't think there is anyway to correct the path so I think they should just have fun with it. Maybe we'll get a more true to character lex and he drops the whole Mark Zuckerberg eccentric CEO shite after he ends up in arkham.

Dali

Why exactly are people pissed off about this?
Lex is supposed to be everything you wish you were. He's an evil Bruce Wayne, basically. Rich, handsome, genius intellect with plans upon plans. He makes you eat shit then come back to you with a proposal that won't make you forget how he shat on you but you have to agree to just because whatever he proposed helps you out or aligns with your goals moreso than your hatred for him.

The latter part of that can be blamed on writing. The former part can't be, on the most superficial of levels, done by eisenburg.

RDreamer

Each to their own, but can't agree.

Indeed. I can't agree with the near universal acclaim the Marvel movies seem to get. They're pretty generic popcorn movies. At least Snyder attempts (and in my opinion fucking nails) something more. Even if you can't agree he nails more philosophically, his movies are so much better directed and have 1000x better soundtracks, too.

As I said, I enjoy the Marvel movies, especially Guardians of the Galaxy, but I don't really get an urge to see them again. I yearned to see BvS again after seeing it once.

Slayven

I like Snyder more than most but his tendency to just kill off characters that could be useful is really annoying and betrays his lack of vision: Jimmy Olsen, Mercy, professor Hamilton... I mean, he even killed Superman for no reason and wasted what could have been a good story opportunity in a later movie.

Especially since this lex weighs a buck twenty soaking wet. Dude would always surround himself with people that could protect him. Killing all those guys off made no sense.

Why do the folks least able to use death as a storytelling tool, use it the most?

Lex is supposed to be everything you wish you were. He's an evil Bruce Wayne, basically. Rich, handsome, genius intellect with plans upon plans. He makes you eat shit then come back to you with a proposal that won't make you forget how he shat on you but you have to agree to just because whatever he proposed helps you out or aligns with your goals moreso than your hatred for him.

The latter part of that can be blamed on writing. The former part can't be, on the most superficial of levels, done by eisenburg.

Thats a thin slice of Lex's characterization over the decades. What started the modern reinvention of Lex was an overweight, balding, petty business man. Eisenberg's Lex isn't near my favorite takes on the character but it's as valid any other.

Personally, I don't like it when Lex puts on his purple and green Iron Man suit to punch people. But they keep bringing that back.

Killing Emil Hamilton sucked because of how on point the casting was.

Oregano

Exactly, Lex shouldn't be asking a sentator from kentucky for shit. The USA government should be GIVING him shit and thanking him for the pleasure. Lex is all about control and manipulation.

I really don't get your beef with that scene in particular because that's exactly what happened.

Lex was smuggling the Kryptonite in anyway on the White Portuguese but got the Senator to give him free reign to do what he wants with Zod's body and the Kryptonian ship. He totally dominated the dude by feeding him the jolly rancher.

I totally understand stuff about Lex being too manic or his motivation being kind of weak or the reason for him making Doomsday being unexplained.

Absolutely is.

I mean I like Marvel movies enough, but they have shit for villains. Overall I also like most of them much, much less than BvS. BvS was my favorite comic book movie since Watchmen.

I've just resigned myself to the fact that some people have terrible opinions.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Watchmen isn't a good movie. Every choice it makes as an adaptation proves it had no understanding of what Moore was trying to go for at all.

All the jokes being made here, and I don't think Eisenberg wrote the script. Why blame him ?

Also, anyone on the set could have intervened, but nobody cared, so we got Jesse Eisenberg, not Mark Zuckerberg.

We have DC making films with easily the worst interpretations of two of the most iconic comic villains ever.

Darkest timeline and all that.

sjay1994

lol nerds need to get over casting news.

the worst thing that can happen is that JL will become an even more hilarious trainwreck than BvS.

Probably will be. That teaser and even elements of BvS prove the DCCU is literally reactive film making

1) Oh no. People hated the amount of wanton destruction from MoS, make sure to say "this place is uninhabited" and to make Batman's motivation due to the destruction of Metropolis, even though he is a hypocritical piece of shit in the movie who has zero regard for human life.

2) Oh no, people said BvS was joyless. Look Justice League teaser, Batman is making jokes with Wonderwoman and Aquaman. Look at this total 180 this character took. Look at the Flash he's funny right? Listen to this guitar riff

The DCCU is a fucking dumpster fire.

Dali

Indeed. I can't agree with the near universal acclaim the Marvel movies seem to get. They're pretty generic popcorn movies. At least Snyder attempts (and in my opinion fucking nails) something more. Even if you can't agree he nails more philosophically, his movies are so much better directed and have 1000x better soundtracks, too.

As I said, I enjoy the Marvel movies, especially Guardians of the Galaxy, but I don't really get an urge to see them again. I yearned to see BvS again after seeing it once.
The marvel movies are directed by different people and definitely aren't all above the DC movies as far as quality. They shouldn't be treated as a monolith. The one thing the DC movies have that the marvel movies don't is, because of their grim-dark nature, the stakes seem a lot higher. This is definitely something the Marvel movies could siphon a tiny bit of inspiration from. It's universally accepted the villains in the marvel movies fucking suck. I feel like I'm watching a cartoon when watching marvel movies, (and maybe that's what they are going for) but the lack of any real risks has set in and I'm feeling the fatigue.

Theorry

Not sure why people are suprised Lex is in JL.
He was the one who started all the trouble that they are gonna get. So is logical that he gets visited or something from Batman in Arkham. Doubt he has a big role in it.

Ross61

Probably will be. That teaser and even elements of BvS prove the DCCU is literally reactive film making

1) Oh no. People hated the amount of wanton destruction from MoS, make sure to say "this place is uninhabited" and to make Batman's motivation due to the destruction of Metropolis, even though he is a hypocritical piece of shit in the movie who has zero regard for human life.

2) Oh no, people said BvS was joyless. Look Justice League teaser, Batman is making jokes with Wonderwoman and Aquaman. Look at this total 180 this character took. Look at the Flash he's funny right? Listen to this guitar riff

The DCCU is a fucking dumpster fire.

So they shouldn't listen to us?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Good. He was one of the best comic movie villains outside of Heath Ledger's Joker.

Certainly better than any of the trash villains in Marvel movies.

Marvel villains better than Eisenberg's Lex Luthor, in order of appearance:

Obadiah Stane
Emil Blonsky
Red Skull
Loki
Justin Hammer
Mandarin
Raina
Winter Soldier
Alexander Pierce
Grant Ward
Calvin Johnson
Dottie Underwood
Wilson Fisk
Ultron
Kilgrave
Whitney Frost
Cottonmouth

Half of those aren't even that good. The Luthor is BvS is awful.

farisr

I loved BvS and even I think this is bad news. Was hoping the "real" Lex would show up in a future movie. Hated what they did with the character in the movie.

Can I be controversial and say I don't really care about Jimmy Olsen in this day and age?

I think people are fine with Jimmy Olsen not being in the movies at all or not having a meaningful role beyond being an extra in a single Daily Planet scene.

The thing that upsets them is the sort of "fuck you" nature of putting him in just for that.

RDreamer

Marvel villains better than Eisenberg's Lex Luthor, in order of appearance:

Obadiah Stane
Emil Blonsky
Red Skull
Loki
Justin Hammer
Mandarin
Raina
Winter Soldier
Alexander Pierce
Grant Ward
Calvin Johnson
Dottie Underwood
Wilson Fisk
Ultron
Kilgrave
Whitney Frost
Cottonmouth

Half of those aren't even that good. The Luthor is BvS is awful.

Marvel movie villains better than Lex:

Marvel show villains better than Lex:
Almost all of them

Killing Emil Hamilton sucked because of how on point the casting was.

For real. And if I remember correctly, there was an interview with Richard Schiff in which he said that he was a massive comic-book fan and that he was super excited to be playing Hamilton. The DCCU has just barely started but there are so many missed opportunities already.

I'm not big on the MCU but at least they're smart enough to not imitate their comic counterpart. I think the fact that there hasn't been a major death in the MCU outside of Coulson is actually a really smart decision. They're not backing themselves into a corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom