• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zack Synder war on comics continues, Jesse Eisenberg to return in justice League

Status
Not open for further replies.

riotous

Banned
I enjoyed BvS but Lex was the weakest part of the film for me. Really wish they'd gone with someone else. Hell I'd take the guy from Smallville over Jesse.

Grym

This movie is gonna be as bloated with characters as the first one.

reasonable expectations:
Legion_of_Doom.jpg

-shadow-

Can the guy be let go of the DC universe already? He has directed great stuff, but the DC universe doesn't seem to be where he needs to be.

His motivations are easy, he has no depth, he's basically just played like a super genius with extreme autism, or what Hollywood thinks autism looks like.

His manic disposition is mistaken for depth.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Can the guy be let go of the DC universe already? He has directed great stuff, but the DC universe doesn't seem to be where he needs to be.

Okay, no. He hasn't directed great stuff. DOTD remake is decent, Watchmen is good. Also, the flop of BvS was his highest grossing film by a large margin. They'll let him direct his Ayn Rand films now.

Slayven

His motivations are easy, he has no depth, he's basically just played like a super genius with extreme autism, or what Hollywood thinks autism looks like.

THey were going for Zeke Stane and get the male version of Duela Dent

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

It was all me, Clark. It's always been me. The author of all your pain.

Just because his plan is overly complex and convoluted, it doesn't mean it's not stupid. Like you said, it's the script just positioning this person as some grand chess master. Batman v Superman is a case study in heavy-handed symbolism masquerading as depth. I think the movie wouldn't have offended people as much if it could just admit how dumb it was. But no, it think it's a serious drama. It thinks it has something to say.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I get that turning Lex into a Silicon Valley-type is an interesting idea to play with, but Jesse ain't intimidating in the slightest. It's the same problem with Leto as the Joker, I can't buy either of these guys as threats to their respective heroes.

kswiston

Toss up between him and lois with that bullet nonsense

I blame that on the fact that they had five (probably soon to be six) time academy award nominated actress Amy Adams and felt like they had to do something substantial with her.

The same thing happened in Man of Steel with her (and Russell Crowe).

RDreamer

Okay, no. He hasn't directed great stuff. DOTD remake is decent, Watchmen is good. Also, the flop of BvS was his highest grossing film by a large margin. They'll let him direct his Ayn Rand films now.

IMO Watchmen and BvS are masterpiece comic movies. Man of Steel was also pretty great, and 300 was ridiculously well directed especially for its time.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Are people finally over Jesse Eisenberg? I've never liked him in anything, but I always hear people talk about what a great actor he is. It'd be great if he was in less stuff.

Well shit, his character didn't make much sense to me the way he was presented in the movie. And certainly did not seem captivating enough for multiple movies.

Are people finally over Jesse Eisenberg? I've never liked him in anything, but I always hear people talk about what a great actor he is. It'd be great if he was in less stuff.

Well, his performance seemed kind of fine. But the writing sucked. I would have said he wasn't intimidating enough either but I think he was fine in The Double.

Eisenberg is an amazing actor, its the writing thats fucking garbage.

I feel like no actor anywhere could deliver those lines at all
And the direction he got was shit. He needed someone there to get him to pull back, ay least during some scenes. Instead he read like an even worse version of Dane DeHan's goblin.

Dali

I still think it's funny that they tried to modernize lex Luthor by making him some kind of millennial entrepreneur and then the real person that luthor has been based on for the last 30 years became president
Lex is a genius though.

I just think the snivelling, weasely-looking, borderline autistic, Lex that eisenburg plays is pathetic after watching his portrayal in the dcau or even... Smallville. He was a horrible casting choice.

Betty

Banned

He was very good in The Social Network, I'd have preferred if his Luthor was like that to the manic joker-lite wannabe we got.

I blame the director.

I blame that on the fact that they had five (probably soon to be six) time academy award nominated actress Amy Adams and felt like they had to do something substantial with her.

The same thing happened in Man of Steel with her (and Russell Crowe).

The bullet subplot made some sense in the ultimate cut, which only makes me wonder why they left it in the theatrical cut at all.

He was good in American Ultra, and that was just a year ago.

Most actors don't have good performances as regularly as people would want them. He has a handful in his career.

Everyone's career would look better if they didn't do anything they were bad or merely OK in (and that's going to be most movies for most actors).

Slayven

Lex is a genius though.

I just think the snivelling, weasely-looking, borderline autistic, Lex that eisenburg plays is pathetic after watching his portrayal in the dcau or even... Smallville. He was a horrible casting choice.

Exactly, Lex shouldn't be asking a sentator from kentucky for shit. The USA government should be GIVING him shit and thanking him for the pleasure. Lex is all about control and manipulation.

kswiston

Eisenberg is an amazing actor, its the writing thats fucking garbage.

I feel like no actor anywhere could deliver those lines at all

Eisenberg basically plays the same character in everything he's ever been in. He tones up or down the flamboyancy of his neurotic, socially inept persona depending on the film, but there's not much range there.

I get that turning Lex into a Silicon Valley-type is an interesting idea to play with, but Jesse ain't intimidating in the slightest. It's the same problem with Leto as the Joker, I can't buy either of these guys as threats to their respective heroes.
I think it would have worked a little better had we actually seen lex do some genius level 5th dimensional chess with people. But we never get that. We get the illusion of that. We get him having this ridiculously convoluted and ill conceived plan with no real reason why other than his anger. We don't see his depth, we are meant to infer it.

Leto, yeah. There is no saving that. Affleck would break that guy like a twig.

Exactly, Lex shouldn't be asking a sentator from kentucky for shit. The USA government should be GIVING him shit and thanking him for the pleasure. Lex is all about control and manipulation.
Which is why him being beholden to others playing his game is ridiculous. Lex wouldn't use their loved ones, that's too trite and easy to get out of. He'd use their own morality, which is what it looked like he was doing and the movie was gearing towards until they decided "nah let's just kidnap his mom"

Slayven

Which is why him being beholden to others playing his game is ridiculous. Lex wouldn't use their loved ones, that's too trite and easy to get out of. He'd use their own morality, which is what it looked like he was doing and the movie was gearing towards until they decided "nah let's just kidnap his mom"

It really bothered me they killed his assistant like that. Lex wouldn't throw away a down for the cause pawn like that. He always have at least 1 or 2 people in the know just for backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom