• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zack Synder war on comics continues, Jesse Eisenberg to return in justice League

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nudull

Banned
Wouldn't it be amazing if this Lex is actually from an alternate universe and that the entire DCEU was just a convoluted setup for an Infinite Crisis movie? :p

BLACKLAC

It isn't like I had any desire to see this dreck so meh... throw as much garbage in there as you can.

Marvel villains better than Eisenberg's Lex Luthor, in order of appearance:

Obadiah Stane
Emil Blonsky
Red Skull
Loki
Justin Hammer
Mandarin
Raina
Winter Soldier
Alexander Pierce
Grant Ward
Calvin Johnson
Dottie Underwood
Wilson Fisk
Ultron
Kilgrave
Whitney Frost
Cottonmouth

Half of those aren't even that good. The Luthor is BvS is awful.

Might as well throw Joker and the entire cast of SS (they were villains, right?) they are better than too.

Guardians of the Galaxy did more fucked up shit than the SS.... Pffff

Ross61

Why should they?

They make terrible film after terrible film but still see huge returns, it's like trying to critique Bay's Transformers.

The only losers are the fans who want good DC films
Because they want to make them better? Idk.

Anung

Un Rama
I am interested in seeing Synder's interpretation of Darkseid

"So what if like Darkseid used his Omega beams to like, I don't know, Skull fuck Dan Turpin while Superman is held down and forced to watch?"

I have minus faith in this movie. It's a true shame so many great story beats are being rendered unusable in future films by potentially good writers/directors.

Wouldn't it be amazing if this Lex is actually from an alternate universe and that the entire DCEU was just a convoluted setup for an Infinite Crisis movie? :p

Let's do this. And Zac Efron can play a coked up shirtless Superboy Prime that ends up punching the movie screen while shouting at the audience that the DCCU is misunderstood.

Nudull

Banned
With Kryptonite running through his veins.

VntETIt.png

Mully

How is Jesse Eisenberg's portrayal of Lec Luthor bad? I'm not a comics guy besides BTAS and STAS, I don't know much about the Justice League and its villains.

I honestly thought Eisenberg did a great job at portraying a power jealous psychotic narcissist.

Casting Eisenberg is one of the worst decisions Snyder has made yet, regardless of it making some kind of sense for the modern billionaire.

Schlorgan

Marvel movie villains better than Lex:

Marvel show villains better than Lex:
Almost all of them

I would say that Robert Redford at the very least is better than Eisenberg. At least I understood his motivations.

The Marvel movie villains aren't great but at least they're tolerable. Eisenberg's Lex actively made me angry whenever he was on screen.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Wow, one of the worst performances in a cape movie reprised.

Throw Leto's Joker in there and let's try to hit single digit RT.

geomon

Did you see Batman v Superman

Because the Justice League is going to be directed by the same guy who said this:

My question wasn't about the quality of his work but more about the news of Lex being in the film. We've known since the beginning that Zack was going to direct Justice League. Why be pissed off now?

Lex is supposed to be everything you wish you were. He's an evil Bruce Wayne, basically. Rich, handsome, genius intellect with plans upon plans. He makes you eat shit then come back to you with a proposal that won't make you forget how he shat on you but you have to agree to just because whatever he proposed helps you out or aligns with your goals moreso than your hatred for him.

The latter part of that can be blamed on writing. The former part can't be, on the most superficial of levels, done by eisenburg.

It's my personal belief that Eisenburg is playing the silver age Lex who was less methodical and more evil crazy scientist.

Platy

It's my personal belief that Eisenburg is playing the silver age Lex who was less methodical and more evil crazy scientist.

No he was trying to do his version of Ledger's Joker.
It is the exact same type of acting but with a much less talented actor.

Which is why I would find HILARIOUS if Justice League features both him and Leto on the same scene.
And by hilarious I mean my eyes and ears will bleed

Watchmen isn't a good movie. Every choice it makes as an adaptation proves it had no understanding of what Moore was trying to go for at all.

It glorifies the violence you see on screen.

Ending the movie with a kung fu fight with Adrian when in the comics he beats them easily in 2 moves says all you need to know.

Did people just expect the character to dissapear? If they're planning on an extended universe it was clear he would return, besides all that senior and junior speculation always seemed like wishful thinking to me. Bar any catastrophical disaster Eisenberg is probably as locked as Cavill or Affleck.

I thought that casting was a joke when I first heard it, people were saying give it a chance when trailers came out, and then it was still terrible in the movie. I can tell if I'm going to like a certain performance from trailers and I'm baffled still why he was chosen out of all people to play Lex.

People say that Snyder is a comic fan, but I don't know. I don't read a whole lot compared to some of y'all, but to me from what I'm used to in the DCAU and the animated movies Lex always came off as a dude with some suaveness and swagger to him with a little crazy under the surface and what I saw in Batman v. Superman was none of that. That shit was bad. I am not looking forward to his return.

Also what's with some people saying he's not really Lex Luthor? Some dude said, "No he wasn't Lex, he was Lex Jr.".

it was done for comic relief--everybody is so unfucking funny in this universe that they tried to achieve it with the villain

My question wasn't about the quality of his work but more about the news of Lex being in the film. We've known since the beginning that Zack was going to direct Justice League. Why be pissed off now?

The way I see it, (mis)casting Eisenberg and taking Luthor character that way is on Snyder. Moreover, it's not being pissed off now, I wasn't a fan of Snyder since he was announced as director of Man of Steel.

Dyl

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here: Geoff Johns stated that Lex was "on his way to becoming the iconic Luthor from the comic books." So don't be surprised if they tone him down in Justice League.

Did people just expect the character to dissapear? If they're planning on an extended universe it was clear he would return, besides all that senior and junior speculation always seemed like wishful thinking to me. Bar any catastrophical disaster Eisenberg is probably as locked as Cavill or Affleck.

Not necessarily wishful thinking. They revealed that Eisenberg is playing Lex Jr. with an in-character interview back in 2015. Though, his father died in 2000.

Retsudo

Goddamn, they just want to burn money making awful movies. Eisenberg was a terrible Lex, not surprising because he is awful as an actor.

And Snyder has got to go.

They need to completely reformat the character.

Make it so the Motherbox made him cold, calculated and ruthless, or that it was the cause of his insanity.

Either way, he needs to be fundimentally changed.

However, given that Snyder seems to take the wrong thing from criticism, he'll hear "movie needs to be lighter" and make him the Riddler effectively.

VLEXP

Make it so the Motherbox made him cold, calculated and ruthless, or that it was the cause of his insanity.

However, given that Snyder seems to take the wrong thing from criticism, he'll hear "movie needs to be lighter" and make him the Riddler effectively.

This, I hope they do something like that, either the mother boxes make him crazy or darkseid or steppenwold control him.

Effect

One thing I haven't seen mentioned here: Geoff Johns stated that Lex was "on his way to becoming the iconic Luthor from the comic books." So don't be surprised if they tone him down in Justice League.

Not necessarily wishful thinking. They revealed that Eisenberg is playing Lex Jr. with an in-character interview back in 2015. Though, his father died in 2000.
All the interview did was give him Lex's comic background. Lex has had a father for a long time. He's either named or not named. This one just happens to have the same name as his son. In smallville it was Lionel. That's it. So many choose to purposefully ignore that because it got in the way of their bitching.

Slayven

If they do they will reveal it in an interview or a cut scene released the weekend of the movie.

If they do they will reveal it in an interview or a cut scene released the weekend of the movie.

The fact that the Steppenwolf shit was a god damn deleted scene will never not be pants on head stupid to me.

THAT IS A KEY PLOT POINT AND SETS UP THE ENTIRE FIRST PHASE OF YOUR SHIT DC.

Ross61

The fact that the Steppenwolf shit was a god damn deleted scene will never not be pants on head stupid to me.

THAT IS A KEY PLOT POINT AND SETS UP THE ENTIRE FIRST PHASE OF YOUR SHIT DC.

That was WB's decision.

And why is this a thread like this hasn't been known for almost half a year now?

Setsuna

No he was trying to do his version of Ledger's Joker.
It is the exact same type of acting but with a much less talented actor.

Which is why I would find HILARIOUS if Justice League features both him and Leto on the same scene.
And by hilarious I mean my eyes and ears will bleed

No he wasnt. The fact that you think they are similar demonstrates a lack of understanding of either characters

Effect

No he wasnt. The fact that you think they are similar demonstrates a lack of understanding of either characters
Seriously. People that make these Joker or Riddler comparisons just show they really have no knowledge about any of the characters even if they try claim they do.

For real. And if I remember correctly, there was an interview with Richard Schiff in which he said that he was a massive comic-book fan and that he was super excited to be playing Hamilton. The DCCU has just barely started but there are so many missed opportunities already.

I'm not big on the MCU but at least they're smart enough to not imitate their comic counterpart. I think the fact that there hasn't been a major death in the MCU outside of Coulson is actually a really smart decision. They're not backing themselves into a corner.

Richard Schiff even showed up for the real time BTS feature. He stands in front of a white background and jokes about random things, like spilling his coffee on said white background, because he's not in the movie that much. I wouldn't mind a contrived explanation for him surviving and returning from the phantom zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom